Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 page 932 Published 1903
KERRYTOWN is a small settlement in the Seadown riding of the Levels county. It population at the census of 1901 was 156. The district is about ten miles from Timaru and Temuka respectively, and about three miles from Pleasant Point. It takes its names from the large number of old settlers who came originally from County Kerry, Ireland. There is no public school in the district, the education wants of which are supplied by a well-equipped Roman Catholic school. Some years ago a large building was erected on a corner section for the purpose of a hotel, but no license was granted through this building still (1903) stands.
Kerrytown Post Office, which is within ten miles of Timaru, has been conducted at the residence of Mr Hugh Brosnahan since 1885. Mails are received and despatched three times weekly. Mr. Brosnahan was born in County Kerry, Ireland, and arrived at Lyttelton in 1870, by the ship "Merope." He has been a resident of the district since 1882. Mr. Brosnahan was married, in 1876, to a daughter of the late Mr. P. Scannill, of Kerry, and has five sons and seven daughters.
[Brosnahan, Sean G. The Kerrytown Brosnahans. Timaru R.J. & H.P. Brosnahan 1992. Index]
St. Joseph's Roman Catholic School, Kerrytown, was established about 1884. The site contains about three acres of land and the school building is of wood and iron., and contains two classrooms. There is accommodation for about 200 children; there are 110 names on the roll and the average attendance is ninety. Four sisters of St. Joseph constitute the teaching staff at the school.
[St Joseph's Kerrytown School did have a centennial reunion in 1983 and a book was produced. St Joseph's School Kerrytown Centenary 1883-1983]
HOARE, Hugh, Farmer, Kerrytown. Mr. Hoare was born in Kerrytown, in 1889, and was brought up to country life. For about five years he kept a hotel in the Oxford district, but in 1902 returned to Kerrytown, where he farms fifty acres of freehold land. During his residence in North Canterbury Mr. Hoare belonged to the Cust Mounted Rifles, and was one of the first members of that corps. He had charge of the catering at the encampment of the 19th of October, 1901. Mr Hoare was married, in 1897, to a daughter of Mr Donovan of Bennett's Junction, and has had one son and one daughter. His son is dead.
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project
Kerrytown was never a town in the true sense of the word, but an area of small holdings. The pub never gained a licence. Very few old buildings remain in 2002. The Hoare's in early South Canterbury were not all related. The Kerrytown ones were of Irish extraction, whereas others were from Kent in England.