Farmers | Old Colonists | Newspaper
Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 872-879 Published 1903
GERALDINE, in the county of Geraldine, is a prosperous little town with a population of about 870 persons. The surrounding district is really beautiful; it is favoured with an abundant water supply, has numerous roads in an excellent state of repair, and, being highly diversified in its nature and set against a background of rugged and picturesque mountains, offers many attractions to the visitor. Geraldine itself is often visited by picnic parties, to whom the chief centre of interest is a small reserve of magnificent native bush, the remnant of a forest which was formerly of considerable extent. Excellent fishing can be obtained in the Waihi river, adjoining the town, and in its many streams and rivers of the neighbourhood. The town is the centre of an extensive and fertile district, and its weekly sales of stock are among the most important in the province. Its founders have made ample provision for the recreation of its inhabitants, in the shape of a beautiful little park-like reserve, containing excellent cricket and tennis grounds, and a fine concrete swimming bath. All principal religious denominations have churches in the town; there is a fine District High School of 220 pupils, a library with a free reading room, a bank, and a post and telegraph office. Geraldine is about five miles from Orari railway station, connection with which is maintained by coaches which meet every train. The adjacent farming districts are very prosperous, and large crops of oats and wheat are raised at Pleasant Valley, Woodbury, and Hilton. Some of the yields amount to eighty bushels of oats and sixty of wheat, per acre. The downs, which are spread towards the mountain ranges, include some of the best sheep country in New Zealand, and are noted for their fattening qualities. The finances of the town are controlled by a Town Board. There is a good water supply, and the leading businesses are lighted by acetylene gas. Photos: Post Office, Geraldine township, Anglican Church (Ferrier photo)
Mr. FREDERICK ROBERT FLATMAN, Member of the House of Representative for Geraldine, resides at "Summerlea," about four miles from Geraldine. His farm contains between 900 and 1000 acres. Mr. Flatman was born in the county of Suffolk, England, in 1843, and was educated at High School House, Oulton. He was brought up at farming on his father's farm, where he remained until he left for New Zealand in 1862, when he came out by the "Mary Ann," in Lyttelton. Shortly after his arrival he went to South Canterbury, and was on Mr. Cox's station for some months. In 1865 he went into business as a storekeeper in Geraldine, and carried on that line for six months. Afterwards he joined Mr. Robert Taylor in a sawmilling business and in farming, and also had the general store at Woodbury. In 1892 the partnership was dissolved, and Mr Flatman has since carried on farming at "Summerlea," where he keeps sheep and grows grain. In 1876 Mr. Flatman was a member of the South Canterbury Board of Works and was four nineteen years without a break a member of the Geraldine Road Board. He was also for eight years a member of the Timaru Harbour Board. He is a Master Mason, and belonged to the first Geraldine lodge. In 1893 he was asked by electors to stand for representation of Pareora in parliament. To this request he acceded , and was elected by an majority of 216 in preference to Mr A.E.G. Rhodes. In 1896 the alterations of boundaries of the district led to the name being changed to Geraldine. Mr. Flatman was again elected in 1896, by a majority of 211. At the general election held on the 6th of December, 1899, he had two opponents, but was returned with a majority of 1556. His opponent at the general election of November, 1902, was Mr. W.S. Maslin, and the votes were Flatman, 2275; Maslin, 1303. photo.
Evening Post, 21 September 1911, Page 8
DEATH OF MR. FLATMAN.
TIMARU, This Day.
Mr. Flatman, ex-M.P., for Geraldine, died this morning at has farm at Woodbury. He had been seriously ill the last few days. In the House of Representatives this afternoon Sir Joseph' Ward announced that he had received news of the death of Mr. F. R. Flatman. On his motion, seconded by Mr. Massey, the House passed a resolution of appreciation of the late Mr. Flatman's services and sympathy with his widow and family in their bereavement. The House then adjourned until 7.30 o'clock this evening as a mark of respect.
Ashburton Guardian, 26 September 1911, Page 5
The funeral of the late Mr F. R Flatman which took place on Sunday; at Woodbury, was very largely attended. Most of the public bodies in South Canterbury were represented, and many old friends of the deceased gentleman were present from Timaru, Ashburton, Temuka, Geraldine and district. The cortege left the residence of deceased's son shortly after one o'clock and proceeded to the Anglican Church, Woodbury, where the Rev. Staples Hamilton conducted a short service. From the Church the remains were conveyed to the cemetery adjoining the Domain. The pallrbearers were: Messrs K. Mackenzie, N. Campbell, A. McLean, R. Allan, G. B. Creemer, and Dr. Paterson. At the close of the service several beautiful wreaths were deposited on the grave. None of Mr Flatman's , old colleagues in Parliament were able to be present at his funeral, but the family received many sympathetic messages including one from the Prime Minister and the Speaker of the House, Sir Arthur Guinness, the Hon. T. Buddo, and Messrs T. Buxton, W. Nosworthy, J. Craigie, H. Davey, G. Witty, T. Parata, and many members of the Legislative Council and various societies.
Mr. WILLIAM STEPHEN MASLIN, Geraldine, who represented the Rangitata electorate in Parliament from 1893-1898, was born at Brentford, Middlesex, England. He came to New Zealand with his parents in the ship "Maori," and landed at Lyttelton on the 21st July, 1858. Mr. Maslin, senior, went to Timaru in December of that year, and was followed by his family early in 1859. Mr. Maslin was in the timber and building trade, and was, therefore, connected with many of the early erections in Timaru. In 1861 the family removed to Geraldine, where Mr. Maslin, senior, opened a timer yard. Steam was not then applied in the district to cutting timber, and the supply was kept up by from six to eight pairs of hands sawyers. On the 21st June, 1864, Mr. Maslin, senior, was killed while bricking a well on his property and he left a family to two sons and three daughters. From that date Mr. W.S. Maslin, the eldest of the family, took charge of affairs; and when hand-sawing gave place to steam power, a large general store was added to the business. On the bush being cut out, storekeeping occupied Mr. Maslin's attention, until, in 1883, he sold out his business, which had grown to a large and prosperous one, to Mr. N. Dunlop. Mr. Maslin then continued his business as an auctioneer in Timaru and Geraldine. In 1892 he discontinued his auctioneering, but kept on the land and agency branch of the business. Mr. Maslin farms between five and six hundred acres of land, and commenced farming as early as 1860, when the ploughing was done by bullocks and a single-furrow plough. He grew the first crops in the now-famed grain growing district of Geraldine. In 1872 he was elected a member of the Geraldine school committee, on which he remained for many years, and was chairman for five consecutive years. In conjunction with Mr. Pierpoint he was one of the founders of the Geraldine Town District, and was a member of the Town Board for twelve years, until he entered politics. He was also a member of the licensing committee for many years. In 1893 he was elected a member of the House of Representatives, but did not stand at the next general election. Mr. Maslin was one of the founders of the first Good Templar Lodge in the district, and has always taken a great interest on the cause of temperance. Since 1868 Mr. Maslin has taken an active part in the working of the Methodist Church at Geraldine; and for some years the meetings of the congregation were held in his mother's house. His mother died in 1887. In 1879 Mr. Maslin became a Freemason by joining the Southern Star Lodge No. 619 E.C., and is also a member of the Oddfellows' Lodge. Mr. Maslin was married, in 1873, to Miss Hannah Clough, daughter of the late Mr. M. Clough, of Sandietown, Timaru, and has a family of four sons and four daughters. photo.
29th April 2007: My name is Peter Maslin and I live at 20 Hornbrook Street, Temuka. W S Maslin's father, Caleb is mentioned in the "Centenary of Geraldine and Temuka Districts 1855 - 1955 booklet, Page 13. I believe my ancestors came from Bedfordshire and were not related to the Maslin's who settled in Waimate, although both families lived not more than 50 km from each other in England. map
Mr. WILLIAM POSTLETHWAITE, who represented Geraldine in the House of Representatives for 1882-1884, and was one time proprietor of the Raukapuka station, was born at Broughton-Furness, Cumberland, England. He was for many years High Sheriff of Cumberland. Mr. Postlethwaite came to New Zealand in 1872 and first settled at Opawa, but afterwards removed to Riccarton. In 1875he purchased the Raukapuka station. Mr. Postlethwaite retired from public life and leased the property to Mr. N.C. Orbell, its present occupier. He took a keen interest and always did his utmost to promote the progress of the district. Mr. Postlethwaite now resides in California. He has a family of three sons, and Mr. Arthur Herbert Postlethwaite, the youngest son, resides in Geraldine. The other sons in California. photo
THE GERALDINE COUNTY COUNCIL, meets at Geraldine on the third Thursday on each month. At the census of 1901 the county had a population of 5991. It is an area of 9158 square miles, and the capital value of property within its boundaries is 1,805,429 pounds. There is a general rate of one farthing in the pound, and there are also special rates in several water supply districts; for instance, the interest on the water supply loan for the Rangitata--Orari district is three-eighths of a penny in the pound, in the Woodbury district, seven-sixteenths of a penny, the Orari-Waihi district, one penny and one-sixth, the Geraldine Flat district, one penny, and in the Waitohi Flat district, nine-sixteenths of a penny. The members of the Council are Mr. John Talbot (chairman), and Messrs G.J. Dennistoun, Anthony Metcalf, William Dixon, Samuel Wright, R.B. MacDonald, and A. Kelman. Mr. F. W. Stubbs is clerk to the council.
COUNCILLOR JOHN TALBOT, J.P. Chairman of the Geraldine County Council, was born in Devonshire , England, on the 14th of September, 1845. He emigrated to New Zealand in company with his father and mother and the rest of the members of the family, in January, 1862, by the ship "Zealandia" (Captain Foster), and arrived in Lyttelton on the 24th of May. After about two years of farm work near Rangiora he, in partnership with his brother George, and cousin, Mr. J.T. Wright, commenced farming at Springton, and later, in the Selwyn district. The partnership dissolved in 1869, Mr. Wright retaining the farm. Mr. Talbot, with his brother, removed to Temuka, and took up land at Rangitira Valley, where he has since resided; his brother buying land and settling near Timaru. In addition to the farm at Rangitira, Mr.. Talbot has also had land at Fairlie, both places being devoted to the production of grain and sheep. He has taken an active part on local politics, and is at present chairman of the South Canterbury Hospital Board and Charitable Aid board, the Temuka Road Board, a member of the Board of Education, and of the High School Board of Governors; and is also chairman of directors of the South Canterbury Farmers' been twice married, and has a family of twelve sons. photo
Councillor ALEXANDER KELMAN, of the Geraldine County Council, was born in 1832 at Kay Head Farm, St. Fergus parish, Buchan, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, where he was educated and brought up to the plaster's trade. He came to Port Chalmers in the ship "Selena" in 1864, and afterwards went to Lyttelton. After a short time in Christchurch he took up a farm of fifty acres in the Geraldine district. Mr. Kelman lost everything in the flood of 1868, but made a fresh start, and now owns several farms; he resides at "Annfields" on the Geraldine road. He has been a member of the Geraldine Road Board for about nine years and is now a member of the Geraldine County Council; he was one of the first to assist in establishing schools at Geraldine and Temuka. Mr. Kelman was married at Fraserborough in Scotland, in 1861, to Miss Ann Davidson, second daughter of Mr. William Davidson, of Fraserborough, and has nine children. All his sons are farming on properties leased by their father. Mr and Mrs A. Kelman Ferrier, photos
Mr. FRANCIS WORCESTER STUBBS, Clerk and Treasurer to the Geraldine County Council, was born in Coventry, England, in 1835. He went to France with his parents when a child, remaining there till he left for New Zealand in 1852 in the ship "Samarang" landing at Lyttelton. [He does not appear on the passenger list so maybe he was a crew member] Afterwards proceeding to Timaru, he was for over four years and a half engaged on the Rhodes' station, and was for two and a half years of the time sub-overseer. He then went to Pareora, where he was appointed manager of the Pareora station. After staying six years on the run, he went to Timaru, where he started the first auctioneering business in the town with Mr. John King for a partner, under the style of Stubbs and King. Mr. King afterwards retired from the firm, and Mrs. Stubbs carried on the business for three years on his own account, when he gave it up. He then went in for valuing, and was appointed the first Government valuer for South Canterbury. In 1880, three years after the Geraldine County Council came into existence, Mr. Stubbs was appointed clerk and treasurer to the council. The monthly meetings of the council were held in Timaru until April, 1894, when the offices were transferred to Geraldine. Mr. Stubbs was for many years secretary to the Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and whilst in that town in the "sixties" he was some terms a member of the Timaru School committee, and also took a prominent part of the formation of an Artillery Corps (C Battery), in April 1868. and held the rank of lieutenant. He was one of the founders of the St. John's Lodge of Freemasons at Timaru, and had the honour of being the first Mason made by the lodge in June 1865. Mr. Stubbs was gazetted a Justice of the Peace in 1889. He was married in 1865 to Elizabeth Sarah Crawley, of __-eeston, Victoria, and has six sons and three daughters. Mrs. Stubbs took a keen interest in musical affairs, and was a leading member of the Timaru Choral Society. photo
THE GERALDINE TOWN BOARD meets the first Tuesday of the month. It levies a rate of three farthings in the pound on a hospital value of 45,000 pounds. At the census of 1901 the town district had a population of ____. The Board consists of a chairman and ____ members: namely, Mr W.S. Maslin, Mr ___ Taylor, J.M. Sutherland, J. Kennedy, and Dr. Hislop; clerk, Mr. T. Twigg.
Mr. JOHN MASON SUTHERLAND, is a member of the Geraldine Town Board. He came to New Zealand with his parents in 1863, by the ship "Metroplolis." The family resided at Little River for six years, when Mr. Sutherlannd, senior, went to Blueskin, where he settled as a farmer. Young Sutherland worked on his father's farm till he was sixteen, when he went to Palmerton South, where he served his time to the general blacksmithing trade. He came to Geraldine in 1882, and worked for a time with Mr. C. Trengrove. When Mr. Trengrove gave up his business, Mr. Sutherland went into partnership in the wheelwright business with Mr. Newport. In 1889 he began to work on his own account and has ever since carried on the business. Mr. Sutherland was elected a member of the Town Board in 1892, and has been in office ever since. He is a member of the Cemetery Board and Domain Board and has been a member of the Geraldine school committee. He is also a member of the Independent Order of Good Templars. Mr. Sutherland married a daughter of Mr. Mark Coombes, an old settler of the district, and has a family of six children. Ferrier, photo
MR. THOMAS TWIGG, Clerk to the Geraldine Town Board, he was appointed to his position in March, 1897. Mr. Twigg was born in Derbyshire, England, in 1851 and arrived in Geraldine in 1884. He was afterwards engaged in country work till he took up his present appointment.
THE GERALDINE ROAD BOARD has jurisdiction over a district with a population of 2250 persons. There are 480 dwellings, 511 ratepayers, and 833 ratable properties in the district. A rate of three farthings in the pound produces an annual revenue of 1896 pounds. Five members constitute the Board; namely, Mr. John Kelland, chairman, and Messrs A. V. McHutchinson, Kyran Brophy, A. Metcalf, and J.M. Barker, Mr. Thomas Dyer is overseer and clerk.
THE GERALDINE FIRE BRIGADE has a station which is situated in the main street, opposite the Oddfellows' Hall. The Brigade meets once a fortnight and practices every alternate fortnight. It consists of fifteen members.
MR. JOHN McILORY, Captain of the Geraldine Fire Brigade, was born at Rolleston, near Christchurch, in 1869. He was educated at Christchurch and Timaru and brought up to the jewellery and watchmaking trade, serving his indentures to Messrs Bower and Ferguson, jewellers of Timaru. He left that firm's service when he was twenty years of age and moved to Geraldine, where he established himself as a watchmaker and jeweller and fancy goods dealer. He was one of the first members of the brigade, which was formed in 1880, and was elected captain in 1896. Mr. McIlory is connected with all the outdoor sports in the district. McCaskey photo
THE GERALDINE RIFLES were first formed on the 17th of April, 1885, and their first officers were Captain Walter Montague Moore, Lieutenant George Ward and Lieutenant Robert Henry Pearpoint. Dr. Robert Fish was honorary surgeon, and the Rev. James Preston the honorary chaplain. In 1886, on the formation of the South Canterbury Rifle Battalion, Captain Moore was appointed Major. Lieutenant Pearpoint was elected Captain, and Sergeant Kenneth Mackenzie, Lieutenant. The first-non-commissioned officers were Colour-Sergeant Thomas Hughes, Sergeants W. Stonehouse, Fred Worner, A. Penny; Corporals Edward Hardcastle, George Porteous and Edward Mellard. In 1890, Lieutenant George Ward resigned his commission, and Mr B.R. Macdonald was appointed in his stead. When first formed the company was one of the smartest in the Battalion, and continued to do good work until the 11th of November, 1894, when, from various causes, the corps was disbanded. In 1898, there was a movement to re-establish the corps, and on the 5th May, 1899, its services were again accepted; the officers begin Captain Kenneth Mackenzie, and Lieutenants John Rogerson Montgomery and Guy MacDonald. The corps started with its full strength of sixty-three officers and men, and is doing excellent work. Shortly after it was re-formed Lieutenant MacDonald resigned, and Mr. Ernest Edward Tasker was elected in his stead.
CAPTAIN KENNETH MACKENZIE, of the Geraldine Rifles, is referred to at page 144, in the Military Section of this volume, where his portrait also appeared.
LIEUTENANT J.R. MONTGOMERY, of the Geraldine Rifles, is referred to in the Military Section of this volume, page 144; and also under the Geraldine public school of which he is headmaster.
THE GERALDINE PUBLIC SCHOOL is situated to the west of the main street and near the centre of town. The school was first placed opposite Mr. Tasker's shop in Talbot street, but in 1891 the present building was erected on a three acre section. It is built of wood and has five class rooms. The number on the roll is 268, and the average attendance of 220. The staff consists of the headmaster, Mr. J.R. Montgomery, M.A., Miss M.O. Pearson, infant mistress, Mr. James Ritchie, assistant master; and two pupils-teachers. Outdoor sports are encouraged by the staff.
MR. JOHN ROGERSON MONTGOMERY, M.A., the Headmaster, is the fourth son of the late Mr. Alexander Montgomery, for many years headmaster of the Normal school at Dunedin. He was born in Christchurch in 1866 and educated in Dunedin. In 1887, after a distinguished career at the Otago High School and University College, he obtained his M.A. degree. Mr. Montgomery was for nearly ten years teaching in the Dunedin High School, and in April, 1897, was appointed headmaster of the Geraldine school. He has been extremely successful in securing the healthy development of his pupils, the introduction of suitable exercises, a branch of the school work in which he is himself an expert; and the school has made such progress that its conversion into a District High School has been sanctioned. Mr. Montgomery takes a keen interest in all branches of athletics and in all institutions that make for right living; in athletics he is best known through having captained the Otago football representatives in 1891 and 1892. photo
"GERALDINE GUARDIAN," This is a tri-weekly paper, owned by the Hon. J.M. Twomey and managed by Mr. W. Thomas. Mr. Thomas was born in Dunedin in 1869 and worked for mercantile firms before he took to journalism, which he entered as a reporter on the "Morning Herald," while that journal was in the hands of Mr. S.N. Brown. After the "Herald" collapsed, Mr. Thomas was on the staff of the "Globe," when the late Mr. Freeman Kitchen was its editor. In 1891, he removed to Geraldine to take up his present position. In addition to managing the "Guardian," Mr. Thomas carried on the business of a news agent and general commission agent, and represents the Christchurch "Press," "Lyttelton Times." "Timaru Herald," and other papers. He is also proprietor of a book and stationery business. Mr Thomas was married, in 1893, to the eldest daughter of Mr. R. Morrison, Geraldine, now living in retirement, and has a family of three. photo
THE APOTHECARIES' HALL, Talbot Street, Geraldine. This well-known pharmacy dates its existence as far back as 1880. In that year it was established by Mr. Citron, who has since gone to Europe. From the date of inception the business has been conducted by various qualified chemists, and, in 1898, was acquired by its present proprietor, Mr. William Baxter, formerly of Christchurch. The business has a well appointed dispensary and laboratory, and there is a heave stock of drugs, druggists' sundries, proprietary medicines, toilet requisites, and surgical appliances.
THE EXECUTORS OF THE LATE MR. J.W. PYE (J.C. Moore, manager), Geraldine.
Mr. JOSEPH CHARLES MOORE, Manager for the Executors of the late Mr. J. W. Pye, was born in Geraldine. He entered Mr. Pye's business in the capacity of clerk, in 1893, and held the position until he was appointed manager after Mr. Pye's death in April, 1903. Mr. Moore is a Freemason, and as such is a member of the Geraldine Lodge., of which he was secretary for two years. He is also an Oddfellow and was secretary of his lodge for five years. Mr. Moore is one of the directors of the Geraldine Building Society, and is concerned with numerous other local bodies. he is married, and has a family of one child.
Mr. JAMES WILCOCKS PYE was born in Devonshire, England, in 1861, and came with his parents to New Zealand in the s.s. "Atrato," to Port Chalmers, whence they moved to Timaru. His father, Mr. John Pye, was one of the earliest settlers in Geraldine, and was for many years a gardener to Mr. C.G. Tripp. of Orari Gorge station; he planted the majority of the trees in front of the station, and is now following the occupation of gardener and seedsman at Geraldine. Mr. J.W. Pye was educated at Geraldine, and was afterwards a clerk in the Road Board Office. He was in the service of Messrs Morrison and Dunlop of Geraldine for seven years, and was afterwards with Mr. Dunlop. In 1887 he started a business in a very small way on his own account by buying the drapery business of Mr. J.S. Waite. This he carried on until 18__ when he built the present large and important building, which was his own property, and thereafter carried on the business of general draper, milliner, and dressmaker, also a boot, shoe, and general furnishing emporium. His staff of employees never numbered less than nine, and in the busy tomes consist of twelve members. He also runs a cart into the country. Mr. Pye imports largely from England. In addition to ___ a success of his business, Mr. Pye has a great interest in the welfare of the town. He was Chairman of the Geraldine Road Board., and Chairman of the Domain Board. Mr Pye had been an Oddfellow for over five years, had passed through all the ___of the order, and was a member of Grand Lodge in virtue of his position as the deputy Grand Master for South Canterbury. Mr. Pye was a Freemason, and had been a member of the Geraldine Southern star Lodge, C.C., now called the Geraldine Lodge, and held the office of senior warden. He took an interest in all outdoor sports, and started the Horticultural Society, of which he is vice-president. Mr. Pye was marred in Geraldine, in 1882, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Shannon, a very old resident of Rakaia, and had one son, Mr. Pye died on the 3rd of April, 1902. photo
TURNER, WILLIAM THOMAS, Hairdresser and Tobacconist, Talbot Street, Geraldine. This is the principal business of its kind in Geraldine, and was established in 1890 by Mr. Turner, who keeps very good stock. He is an all round tradesman and has met with considerable success. The premises are situated in the business part of the town, and adjoins the Geraldine and Crown Hotels. In addition to his large stocks of cigarettes, Mr. Turner makes up a line , which he calls "Record Reign." He was born on Birmingham, in 1865, and arrived in New Zealand with his parents, in 1896, by the ship "Otago," by which his father came out under engagement to the Washdyke Meat preserving Company. Mr. Turner served his apprenticeship to the saddlery and sailmaking trade at Christchurch and Dunedin. He then went to Gore and started as a hairdresser and tobacconist with Mr. Glesson. For twelve months thereafter, he travelled about till the opening of the Dunedin Exhibition, during which he worked in Dunedin, and then went to Geraldine and started his present business. He has taken a prominent part in sporting, ___lters, and has had an interest in several trotters; the stallion "Young Berlin," by "Berlin" belongs to him. Mr. Turner is married to a daughter of the late Mr. William Gibbs, an old colonist of Canterbury, and has five children, Mrs. Turner was born at Woodend, Canterbury. photo
CROWN HOTEL, (John Farrell, proprietor), Talbot Street, Geraldine. Mr. Farrell came into possession of the Crown Hotel in 1890, and purchased the freehold in 1888. It is situated in the heart of town and contains on the ground floor a bar, billiard room, four sitting rooms, commercial room, dinning room which will seat about sixty guests, a kitchen. scullery, etc. There are bedrooms upstairs to accommodate twenty-four persons. At the rear of the premises there are stables with twenty-one stalls and four loose boxes. The best of everything is kept, five servants are employed, and the domestic managed is in capable hands of Mrs. Farrell.
Mr. JOHN FARRELL, the Proprietor, was born at Umrigar, County Wicklow, Ireland, in 1862. he is the fourth son of Mr. James Farrell, farmer, and was educated at the national school, Carnew, and took his degree in teaching under the National Board of Education in the year 1880. Subsequently he studied for two years at St. Patrick's College, Dublin. In 1884 he came to New Zealand by the s.s. "Arongi," and after landing at Port Chalmers proceeded to Geraldine where he stayed for a considerable time with his brother, who was then the license of the Crown Hotel. He received his appointment as a teacher at Shand's Track. near Christchurch, where he remained for two years, and then returned to Geraldine to take charge of the "Crown." He is connected wit the local sporting clubs, and was for several years treasurer of the Geraldine Racing Club and St Patrick's Sport's association. In 1898 Mr.. Farrell was married at Temuka to Miss McShane, daughter of an old settler of Geraldine Flat, and has a family of three. photo
THE GERALDINE FAMILY AND COMMERCIAL HOTEL (A.G. McLean, proprietress), Geraldine. The favourite hotel is a leading house in Geraldine, and is frequented by tourists, commercial men and principal farmers in the district. The building, which has been enlarges and renewed is close to the sale yards, post office and other leading town businesses, and the accommodation is all that can be desired, as all the rooms are well furnished and the bedrooms are large and airy. There is a billiard room with a large full-sized table and other suitable appointments and there are several sample rooms on the premises for commercial men. The bar is stocked with a choice of assortment of wines, spirits, and cigars. There is good stabling adjoining the premises. The crockery is equal to that of leading hotels in the large towns. Fine scenery abounds in the surrounding district, the settlers are hospitalable, and there is good trout fishing in the numerous rivers. Any one wishing to enjoy a short holiday, can do so at Geraldine with great satisfaction. The roads are ideal roads for cycling, and they lead through varied and beautiful scenery of mountain, glen and river. Mrs. McLean has had over sixteen years' experience in hotelkeepng, and is ever mindful of the comforted of her guests. In his she is ably assisted by Miss McLean, her only daughter.
WILLIAMS, JAMES, Baker, Geraldine. Mr. Williams was born in Somerset, England, in 1830, and was brought up to the confectionery trade in the Old Country. He arrived in Lyttelton on the first day of December, 1860, by the "Matoaka," [He does not appear on the passenger list so maybe he was a crew member. The date of arrival matches.] and stayed at Christchurch for a while with Mr. Ruddenklau. On March, 1862, he went to Geraldine where he has been ever since. He was for eight years employed at Raukapuka station, and in 1870 started a bakery, which he still carries on, and does a fair amount of trade. For many years Mr. Williams was a member of the town board. He has been through al the chairs of the Oddfellows' Lodge; he is a Freemason, and was one of the first initiated into the Geraldine Lodge when it opened in 1879. McCaskey photo
BETHUNE, GEORGE, Saddler and Harness Maker-Bicycle Agent for South British Insurance Company, Geraldine. This is the principal business of its kind in the district, and a large stock of saddlery and harness of all descriptions is kept. Mr. Bethune employs three hands in his saddlery business. He also does a large bicycle trade, and as he sells only the best of machines, he has a well equipped repair shop, and a thoroughly competent man in charge, he can undertake any kind of repairs. The shop has a frontage of about 36feet and a depth of 40 feet. Mr. Bethune, the proprietor, is a native of Canterbury, and was born at Cracroft station, Rangitata, in 1866. His father was an old identity, who came to New Zealand under engagement to Sir Cracroft Wilson, and was drown in the Rangitata in 1872. Mr. Bethune was educated in Geraldine and served his time with Mr. N. Connolly, saddler of that town. He then went to Melbourne, where he was engaged in his trade for seven years. in 1892 he returned to New Zealand and brought out his former employer, Mr. Connolly, and started on his own account, The business was an old established one, and Mr. Bethune has maintained its prestige. He takes a great interest in outdoor sports, and is connected with all the local clubs, which are devoted to athletics. Mr. Bethune was married in Christchurch to Miss Walls, a daughter of the late Mr. W. Walls, of Sydenham. photo
TASKER, ERNEST EDWARD, Butcher, Talbot Street, Geraldine. Mr. Tasker was born in Nelson in 1865, and is a son of Mr. James Tasker, the well-known butcher of Ashburton. He emigrated to Australia with his parents when he was a child and came to Nelson, New Zealand, when he was twenty-one years of age. On leaving school he went into business with his father until 1895, when he removed to Geraldine and started on his own account. He runs a cart and saddler horse and has two deliveries per day. While in Ashburton he was a Druid, but on coming to Geraldine he joined the local Oddfellows' Lodge. As a pigeon shot, Mr. Tasker is well known all over New Zealand and has won a large number of trophies; and has also in his time been an all round athlete. Mr. Tasker married a daughter of Mr. James Taylor, of Ashburton, and has a family of three. he was a prominent member of the Ashburton Gun Club, and of seven matches he won five. photo with him holding a shotgun.
THE CANTERBURY FARMERS' CO-OPERATIVE ASSOCIATION, Geraldine Branch. This branch was established in 1892 and in consequence of the rapid increase in trade the present extensive site was bought in 1895. The main building is divided into departments, and the goods include agricultural implements, domestic utensils, and generally , all the commodities required in a farming centre. Mr. George Barkley Creemer manger, entered the employment of the Association at its headquarters in 1890, and was prompted to his present position in 1894.
DAWSON BROTHERS, General Store keepers, Geraldine; branch Woodbury. This form began business in Geraldine about the year 1896, and, largely through practical experience begun in the Old County and continued in the colony, it has succeeded in establishing a very extensive and satisfactory connection. The business prospered so well, in fact, that in March, 1897, the firm acquired, as a branch, the general store formerly carried on at Woodbury by Mr. Flatman, M.H.R., and in November, 1898, it opened new premises in Geraldine. The building was designed by Mr. Turnbull, architect, of Timaru. It is 56 feet long by 28 feet wide, has three large plate glass windows in front, and inside is divided into an artistically fitted shop, show rooms and workrooms; the work of the dressmaking department has increased beyond expectations. Messrs. Dawson Brothers enjoy a reputation for keeping first-class goods, and selling them at reasonable prices; and this, combined with their extensive experience and high character as business men, has led to their popularity and success at Geraldine and Woodbury. photo off Mr. W. Dawson and Messrs Dawson Bros' premises
SHERRATT, THOMAS, General Storekeeper, Talbot Street, Geraldine. Agent for the London and Lancashire Fire Insurance Company and for Zealandia Ranges. Mr. Sherratt, is the eldest son of the late Mr. Amos Sherratt, who is referred to elsewhere in this work. He was born at Coventry, England, in 1852, and came with his parents to New Zealand in 1863 by the "Captain Cook" to Lyttelton. Mr. Sherratt was educated in Christchurch at Christ's College, and was with his father for five years on the farm of "Rosedale," near Leeston. he was engaged in teaching at the South Road school for some time, but gave up the position through falling health. Eventually he removed to Geraldine, where he entered Mr. Maslin's store, as book-keeper. In the course of four years Mr. N. Dunlop purchased the business and Mr. Sherratt continued on with him as a general storekeeper. He is chairman of the Geraldine school committee and a member of the Town Board, and has held the positions for a number of years. Mr. Sherratt has for a number of years taken great interest in musical matters, and when the Geraldine Choral Society was in existence he was its conductor, and still taken conductorship at musical performances in the town. He is organist of the Presbyterian Church, and was bandmaster of the Geraldine Volunteer Band for seven years. Mr. Sherratt was married, in 1882, to a sister of Mr. W. S. Maslin, a very early settler in the district., and has three children. photo
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project
McKechnie's Cottage, Wilson St, Geraldine was built in the 1870s and was the home of Douglas Crichton McKechnie, a former mayor of Geraldine.