Timaru Boys High School Memorial Window

Timaru Boys' High School Memorial Library


A magnificent memorial - a Roy Miller window.

The Timaru Boys' High School Memorial Library was opened on Thursday 20 March 1924 by the Governor General, Lord Jellicoe. It is a single storey brick building designed by Percy Watts Rule and was built as a memorial to commemorate the 52 Old Boys who sacrificed their lives in World War One. The names of First World War battles are listed on each column. In 1955 the building was extended and a memorial window erected in memory of the 133 past pupils who died in World War Two. 

Poverty Bay Herald, 14 July 1917, Page 5
It has been decided to erect a memorial hall at the Timaru Boys' High School in memory of those old boys of the school who have fallen at the war, and of those who may yet fall. The hall is estimated to cost £3000. Two hundred and forty old boys of the school have left for the war, and 30 have been killed.

The Timaru Boy's High School Library, North Street, Timaru has one large, 1750mm X 3570 mm stained glass memorial window, New Zealand designed and executed. The final "cartoon" was designed and painted by F.V. Ellis of Wellington and approved on the 17th Dec. 1954 by the Executive of the TBHS Old Boys Association as "The Memorial Window" to be manufactured under his supervision by Messrs J.W. Brock and Company of Dunedin, [Execution Roy Miller / Milller Studios, Dunedin]. The Executive on the 29th July 1954 requested Mr Fred Ellis to submit a design. "To consist of a centre panel symbolic of 'Sir Gawin' with two side pieces to include the New Zealand  Coat of Arms and the School Coat of Arms, and to incorporate native flora." The extensions to the Memorial Library, and including the new stained glass window, were dedicated on Easter Sunday 1955 during the 75th Jubilee Celebrations. The window was donated by the Old Boys. The cartoon was acquired by Returned Servicemen on the Executive, framed and presented to the school on 28 March 1990 by B.J. Petrie.

The two outer panels display the arms of the Dominion of New Zealand on the left and the School on the right. The central figure depicts Sir Gawain seated on his white war horse, Gringalet, and bearing his shield and lance. On the left is the archangel, Michael, angel of battles and, on the right is the Angel of Justice, blindfolded for impartiality and carrying the scales of justice. Looking on are four figures representing the Army, Air Force, Royal Navy and Merchant Navy. The rainbow above is an emblem of hope and, the skyline of Four Peaks and the outline of Mount Cook establish the location as South Canterbury.

1914 - 1918
G. Alexander
S.H. Ashwell
R.R. Bowie
S.J. Bowker
R.S.L. Calvert
D. Cray, M.M.
N. Crawford
H.F. Cotter
J. Dalgleish
E.J. Dennehy
N. Dunsford
G. Divan
W.A. Dunn
G.C.C. Ferrier
D.P. Fraser
G.E. Fraser
R.H. Fergusson
E. Gabites
F.H.B. Guinness
G. Guinness
J.M. Hogben
W.E.R. Hind
W.H. Hay
V. Hawkes
F. Hutton
L. Hight
N.S. Joyce
 


"Their Name Liveth for Evermore"

W. Keen
M.A. Knubley
D.P. Macfarlane
N. Marchant
K. McD.Maben
W. Menzies
A. Mee
N. Maze
D. O'Connor
M. B. O'Connor
B. Pelvin
L. Penrose
R. S. Priest
W.H. Rawston
H.J. Radcliffe
L.S. Serpell, M.C.
W. Seyb
W.W. Simmers, M.M.
J. Strachan
A. Talbot
K.W. Tennant
C. Tennant
A. Wagstaff
C.H. Wright
C.F.W. Ziesler
R.D. Copland

 


 

1939 - 1945
D. A'Court
E.A. Allchurch
W. Andrew
B. Appleby
R.W. Askin
S.E. Askin
G. Baillie
W.R. Baillie
A. O. Baker
W.H. Bannerman
W.S. Beattie
J.S. Bergin
M.J. Berry
A.W.P. Bird
T.L. Bowker
D.G. Buchanan
A.M.S. Burnett
A.L. Burns
J.S. Buxton
C.C. Cameron
J.S. Cartwright
J.E. Chapman
W.D. Clark
R.H. Clifford
J.A. Cole
M.W. Cosgrove
R.C. Cox
W.R. Cresser
L.T.M. D'Auvergne
D.A.M. Davidson
T.L. De Clifford
J. Dempsy
D.T. Drennan
D.B. Giles
B.H. Gillies
R.J. Gillingham
R.T. Gilmore
L.D. Glenday
N.M. Glenday
C.D. Griffiths
D.F.G. Hall
K.W. Hall
R.A. Hamilton
E.R. Harper
J.W. Clark
J.R. Coath
D.G.A. Ritchie
 
A.J. Hayhurst
L.E. Hayhurst
J.W. Henderson
J.W. Hetherington
F.W. Hooke
H.J. Horler
T.R. Horne
V.C. Howes
H.W. Hughes
C.I. Humphrey
H.E. Hunter
B.L. Jackson
T.G. Jacobs
K.N. Johnstone
B.V.A. Jones
W.M. Kelman
J.R. Kemp
A.A. Kingsbury
P.T. Knowles
D.P. Kyne
J.A. Lamb
R.O. Lawry
J.W. Lillico
D.P. Lindsay
J.D. Lindsay
A.H. Lister
A.T. Little
W.D.M. Lory
J.B. Lovelock
G.H. Low
G.E. Macdonald
G.R. Macdonald
T.G. McCone
D.H. McKenzie
J.A. McKerchar
J.A. McMamson?
D.G.McNab
J.C. Martin
R.C. Mathieson
A.L. Meikle
D.W. Monaghan
G.C. Monaghan
A.F. Morris
A.W. Morris
Malayan campaign
 -   P. Margest
 -   G.L. Bonham
A.R. Morrison
L.B. Morrison
B.N. Murdoch
G.E. Murdoch
D.M. Murray
H.J. Murray
D.G. Newlands
R.K. Nederer
R.H. Nuttall
R.F. O'Rourke
R.G. Parry
D.B. Paterson
H.M. Pawson
H.G. Pearce
W.A. Pelvin
H.S. Rendall
C.M. Robertson
G.F. Robins
R.J.L. Roscow
F.G. Sanders
N.T. Satterthwaite
F.N. Smallcrass
D.M.P. Shea
F.G. Shears
I.J. Shepherd
E.P. Smith
W.B. Smith
R.J. Sotham
W.F. Sotham
W.J. Southworth
M. Tavener
H.M. Thomson
F.S.R. Thomson
J.W. Thomson
F.R. Wallis
B.J. Walsh
W.P. Walsh
M.D. Ward
D.R. Wilkes
A.D. Willcox
H.R. Willis
J. Winterbourn
D.E. Wood



 

A significant acknowledgement to old boy servicemen and their families.

TBHS names
photos

June 2014. The Timaru Boys High School Memorial Library have 17,000 names in their database and they have 120,000 photos waiting to be scanned. Volunteers are working on the project each week and the library is open for personal research by arrangement. An open day held every year between Christmas and New Year to accommodate visiting Old Boys and their families is well patronised. Available for research are all copies of the Old Boys magazine Timaruvian; school records; board, trustee and governors’ records; plans, documents and deeds; employee contracts. The school opened to pupils in 1880 at the Cain Street site and the boys’ section moved to North
Street in 1913, although the rectory boarding section opened there in 1908. The boarding establishment Thomas House followed in 1934. The library has school class photos, war memorabilia, Old Boys’ medals, a huge collection of war reference books bequeathed by an Old Boy and many other books, publications and historical pieces and the Jack Lovelock collection.

Press 3 June 1915 Page 6
The Timaru Boys' High School has already lost three of its old boys in the service of King and country. Some weeks ago the school passed a motion of sympathy with the parents of the late Lieutenant Colin Ferrier, who was killed in France. At Tuesday morning's assembly the headmaster made feeling reference, to two other old boys. Private H. J. Radclifffe and Trooper W. H. Hay, who have fallen at the Dardanelles. The boys in a fitting manner expressed their sympathy with the parents and friends. Mention was also made of the wounded, Lieutenants A. G. Valentine, E. M. Gabites, and Sergent J Dalgleish, who, it was hoped, would soon be well again and able to join their comrades in the firing line.

BOWIE
New Zealand Herald
, 14 July 1915, Page 9 MAJOR R. R. BOWIE
 Major R. R. Bowie, Canterbury Mounted Rifles, who died in the hospital at Heliopolis, was a well-known and highly esteemed resident of Timaru, where he was well known in business circles, as manager of Bowie's grocery stores, of which he took charge when his father retired some years ago. He was educated at the Timaru Boys' High School, and on leaving school went to Dunedin to gain commercial experience. A keen volunteer, he joined the South Canterbury Mounted Rifles on their formation, and worked his way through the ranks until he attained the rank of major. When the war broke out he offered to serve his country, and though there were those who tried to dissuade him from going he said he considered it to be the duty of everyone who could go to do so. He had been " playing at soldiers" for many years, and now that a call to help had come he was not going to shirk it. He left with the third reinforcements. Major Bowie leaves a widow and six young children. On Saturday last his wife received a long letter from him, in which he wrote most cheerfully, and said that he was in the best of "health, having kept "fit" on the boat going over by taking a turn in the stokehold every day.

DUNFORD
Norman Guthrie Chalmers DUNSFORD died May 2nd 1915, Gallipoli.  Age: 23
Rank: Serjeant     Regiment/Service: Otago Regiment, N.Z.E.F.  Service No: 8/35
Son of Fannie Elizabeth Dunsford, of 60, Wai-iti Rd., Timaru, and the late William George Dunsford. Native of Invercargill. Before enlisting he was 2nd Lt., Senior Cadets, Timaru.
Grave/Memorial Reference: 75. Memorial: LONE PINE MEMORIAL. Has a headstone in the Dunsford family plot at the Timaru Cemetery.

FERRIER, GCC
Gilbert Colin Cunninghame Ferrier. Was an engineer & bridge designer & photographer and a carpenter in Timaru. Son of Eva and William Ferrier 71 Grey Rd, Timaru. Colin had served with the Territorial Force, 2nd Lieutenant (South Canterbury Regiment) in 1911. One year as Private in Timaru High Scholl Cadet. One year & ten months in Timaru Rifles (five months Corporal.)

Colin was in England studying to be an architect when he signed up. 2nd Lieut. in 7th Battalion Attd. 4th Battalion (7th Foot), The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment). Colin was killed by a shell that his his dugout  in Ypres 11 Nov. 1914 age 24. He was not reported killed until the Causality List was published by the War Office, May 1915, unofficially killed or died from wounds on or about 11 Nov. 1914. Lc/Corporal Stewart who was beside Lieutenant Ferrier in the trench when a shell burst close to him must have been killed at once. The men left the trench, but at night Stewart and others returned to try and recover Colin's body for burial, but they could not do so as it was so deeply buried.

In another unofficial statement by No. 2349 Lance Corporal G. Lawrence, 6th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, that he was near Second Lieutenant Ferrier on the 11th Nov. 1914, when a high explosive shell burst, and , in his opinion, instantly killed the Officer, who was sitting in a dug-out; that he was called out to reinforce and later noticed the trench had been blown in, the Army Council are regretfully constrained to conclude that this Officer is dead and that he died on the 11th day of November, 1914. Signed H.H. Fawcett, The High Commissioner for New Zealand, 13 Victoria Street, S.W. His personal belonging were dispatched to his sister E.B. Ferrier, Corra Lynn, 76 Grey Rd, Timaru.6th October 1915 from the NZ High Commission, P.W. Shelley Lt. Colonel., Adjutant General.  His brother William Headley (service No. 2/668) also served in WW1 with the NZEF. Reference: Archways. A package was forwarded to the NZ High Commission in London from the Architectural Association, 18 Tufton St., Westminster, S.W., containing drawing instruments, belonging to the late Lieutenant Ferrier and forward on to the Ferrier family in Timaru Sept. 1915 and the sum of 70 pounds, 14 shillings, 3 pence less any outstanding claims.

Their Majesties the King and Queen sent a telegram of condolences to Mr William Ferrier c/o the office of the High Commissioner, in London "begins - Windsor Castle. The King and Queen regret the loss you and the Army have sustained by death of your son in the services of his Country. Their majesties truly sympathise with you in your sorrow. Private Secretary. ends. Mackenzie. "

Colin's final letter to his mother. Reference: NZ probates

 

Cable from the N.Z. High Commissioner, London, 17th Nov. 1914. Reference: NZ probates.



Miss Eddy was an accredited agent of the Red Cross and had been making enquires among the returning soldiers in respect to Lieut. Ferrier. She came across Lc/Stewart.

A sabre is a heavy military one edged sword with a long cutting edge and often with a slightly curved blade with a hilt (handle) and hand guard. The back edge is for thrusting. In Denmark.

GUINNESS
The death (from wounds) of Lieutenant Francis B. H. Guinness was announced in Timaru on Saturday morning. He was one of three sons whom the Mayor, Mr E. R. Guinness, has sent to the front. The late Lieutenant Guinness was born in Timaru on August 12th, 1891. For some years he was on the staff of Messrs Guinness and LeCren Ltd., being attached at different times to their Timaru and Waimate branches.

 New Zealand Herald 7 September 1915 Page 9 LIEUTENANT F. B. H. GUINNESS.
Lieutenant F. B. H. Guinness, killed, was a son of Mr. E. R.. Guinness, Mayor of Timaru. Lieutenant Guinness was 24 years of age. and was the twin brother of "Jack" Guinness, who is also at the Dardanelles, together with another brother. Lieutenant Guinness was educated at Waimataitai School, Timaru High School, and Christ's College. On returning to Timaru he joined the staff of Messrs. D. C. Turnbull and Company. He was next with the New Zealand Shipping Company in Timaru, and then joined the firm of Guinness and LeCren. being in the firm's Waimate branch when he joined the force. He was always a keen military man, and was a popular member of the 8th South Canterbury, Mounted Rifles. He was a nephew of the late Sir Arthur Guinness, formerly Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Timaru Herald 24 October 1917 Page 7
Oct. 23. Casualty list No: 698 was issued today: KILLED IN ACTION. October 10-12.
Guinness, Arthur Grattan, 2nd Lieutenant (E. R. Guinness, Timaru father).

Timaru Herald 18 August 1914 Page 7
Mr John Guinness, who left yesterday morning to fight for his country, was farewelled on the Ealing railway station by a number of friends, the school children also being lined up in charge of their teacher. Hearty cheers were given for Mr Guinness as the train moved off. Mr J. Guinness is a son of Mr E. R. Guinness Mayor of Timaru.

Evening Post 31 January 1916 Page 8
ENGINEERS. Admitted Public Health Hospital, Guidatown, Cairo.
Guinness, John Charles, 4/367, Sapper (E. R. Guinness, Guinness and Le Cren, Timaru); comminuted fracture leg, wound eyebrow.

Timaru Herald 6 November 1917 Page 5
The death notice appear today of Cecil George Guinness, killed in action. He was a brother of Mrs R. R. Randle a nephew of Mr E. R. Guinness, the late Mayor, and a cousin of Mrs C. Noble of Timaru. He was a member of the firm of Guinness Brothers, wine and spirit merchants, Tauranga, and joined the forces in that area.

PRIEST
Sun
3 May 1917 Page 6 FOR KING AND EMPIRE.
KILLED IN ACTION. CAPT. ROY PRIEST. Capt. Roy Priest, who has been killed in action in Egypt, was the youngest son of Mr William Priest, of Timaru. The deceased, who was a captain in the 15th New Zealand Imperial Camel Corps, was a member of the South Canterbury Mounted Rifles, in which he held the rank of corporal. When the war broke out he joined the Main Body, and was promoted to the rank of sergeant. He was in the August attack on Gallipoli, where he was wounded in the leg. Soon after rejoining his regiment lie was promoted to the rank of 2nd lieutenant, and not long afterwards to lieutenant. On joining the Camel Corps in Egypt, and on the death of Capt. McCallum he was made captain. Capt. Priest was educated at the Timaru Main School, and Timaru Boys' High School, and afterwards took up farming. He was a brother of Mrs K. Bassett, of Sumner.

SERPELL
Taranaki Herald 10 January 1918 Page 3
Captain Leonard Serpoll, M.O., reported killed in action on December 13, was the son of the Rev. S. J. Serpell, of Auckland, and formerly of New Plymouth. Captain Serpell received his secondary education at the Timaru Boys’ High School, where, in addition to earning an enviable reputation in the scholastic life of the school, he built up a very fine athletic record. From Timaru he went to the Otago University, and qualified as Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery in 1915. After leaving the ’Varsity, he was for some time house surgeon at the Wellington Hospital, and then entered into private practice at Taihape, from which town he enlisted as a member of the New Zealand Medical Corps.

Press, 11 July 1918, Page 7 THE REV. S. J. SERPELL
Auckland, July 10. The Rev. Samuel Joseph Serpell died at Morrinsville. The Rev. S. J. Serpell entered the Methodist ministry in Victoria in 1884, and came to New Zealand in 1891. He took up work in Auckland, and subsequently at Thames, New Plymouth, Timaru (from 1903 to 1908), Wellington, and Masterton. He was President of the Conference in 1914. His wife predeceased him about seven years ago, and his eldest son, Dr. Samuel Llewellyn Serpell, N.Z.M.C., surgeon,  (M.C.) was killed in action in France last year. Shortland Cemetery. In his 60th year.
 

Captain Samuel Llewellyn Serpell, Medical Corps, attended to the wounded at the regimental aid post under heavy fire. Although twice wounded, he went on with his work until ordered to hospital by his commanding officer. DOD 15 December 1917. MC. London Gazette, 17 December 1917]

15 Dec. 1981: Timaru Boys High School's oldest building, Thomas House, is demolished. The boarding house had been built in 1908 and at its height in the mid-1960s had accommodated 218 pupils.

Timaru Boys' High School Memorial Library, 1917-2007  Tells the story of the original building and its later extension, built to honour the memory of the school's Old Boys' Association members who died in World War I and II. Publisher: Timaru High School Old Boys, 2007. Spiral bound. Author: Petrie, B. & Elston, J.

 "Families back in Scotland seemed to sometimes mention other family members on headstones even if they aren't in that particular grave."  Looks like it is done in New Zealand as well.


Photo taken Nov. 2014 by M.T.

Timaru Herald, 7 May 1919, Page 6
Mr G. Annand, of Rose Street, Timaru, has received word from her son, Lieutenant B. C. Annand, who recently returned by the Ionic that he has had to proceed to Stratford Hospital to undergo medical treatment. Lieutenant Annand left New Zealand with the Tunnelling Company, 22nd Reinforcements, and after arriving in England was attached to the British Expeditionary Force. Just before the signing of the armistice he was granted a commission in the field. He is an old boy of the Timaru Boys' High School, and before enlisting was a civil engineer in the Taranaki district.

Percy Watts Rule of Turnbull and Rule Architects, Timaru. James S Turnbull was a prominent Timaru architect with a national reputation. Rule joined him in partnership in c.1920 and became the firm's chief designer. Rule's work displayed an appreciation for local styles and materials, seen in the use of a combination of styles and use of Oamaru Stone evident in the Memorial Library. He was awarded a gold medal in 1939 for his design of the Timaru Hospital's Surgical Wing. Turnbull and Rule also designed the St James Anglican Church at Franz Josef (1931, Category I), and the Government Life Building, Timaru (1925, Cat II). 

South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project