Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
'Strathallan', Gravensend to Timaru 1859.


South Canterbury NZGenWeb

New Zealand Bound

On 14 January 1859 the English ship the "Strathallan" 551 tons, wooden ship, W. R. Williamson, arrived from Gravesend with the first significant influx of about 120 immigrants to Timaru, South Canterbury, New Zealand and she sailed for Lyttelton on the evening of 17 January. She left the Downs on the 15th October, and thus made a splendid passage of 81 days. There being no harbour at Timaru, she had to anchor in the roadstead at Timaru and land her passengers. Reference: The Lyttelton Times Jan. 26 1859.  

The Strathallan arrived, 90 days out to Timaru, or 82 from land to land. She stood in boldly and dropped her anchor, the weather being very boisterous; when it cleared, on the Sunday, she stood in 3 miles further, and landed part of her passengers for that place, the next morning she landed the remainder, baggage and all, and sailed the same evening for Lyttelton. She had a few over 200 steerage passengers from London, of whom she disembarked 111 souls, bringing on the remainder. 
    Great expedition was shown in getting the people landed with their baggage, the whole proceeding lasting scarcely more than 24 hours. We learn that the boatmen were inclined to take advantage of the opportunity to make extravagant demands, and that they were going to charge 10s. ahead; but that they afterwards commuted it to 40 pounds for the whole job. Mr Rhodes' wool-shed was made ready for the reception of the party, and it appears that they were lodged with tolerable comfort. What is most important is that there was no difficulty in obtaining employment, every hand, with scarcely an exception, being at once engaged. Messrs. Rhodes, we understand, provided against even temporary want of work. by offering a fortnight's employment to a very large number at once. The only accident which happen was the swamping of the last boat but one when on the beach; no serious damage was done. The Strathallan brings a full complement of cabin passengers, as well as steerage immigrants. Reference: Otago Witness February  5th 1859.  

Regarding the arrival of the ship etc. etc. as reported in the Lyttelton Times they recorded five children had died on the voyage. Since then every later record regarding the number of deaths on board has used this source with out verifying the facts. There was another child died on the voyage. Little Abert Abbot is recorded in both shipboard diaries, so six children and two adults died on the voyage.

PASSENGER LIST opens in another window
Another listing and diary
J.T. Morris diary transcribed
Another listing LDS film #0287465
Emigration to Canterbury : Shipping Lists 1856-1874

Families Single Men
Berrill, William wife, Abigail Blythe, James
Brodie, James wife, Mary Butcher, Henry
Butterworth, William wife, Emma Champion, R.
Cairns, William John wife, Elizabeth and child, Robert S. Chapman, John
Double, William wife, Sarah and 5 children: Caroline, Emily, Ann Maria, Amos, Walter Daniel Clarke, John
Healey, H. wife and child Gordon, J.
Gibson, James wife, Margaret and 4 children, James, Alexander, Rebecca A., Margaret Gordon, W.
Gibson, John wife, Sarah Harrison, Francis
Gordon, John wife, Christina and child, William, Christina, Charles, Elizabeth Hayes, George
Hammond, John wife, Mary and child, Robert Jesson, Edward
Hornsby, T. wife, Ann, and 3 children,  Lamsden, James
Jones,  William wife, Sarah and child, Ann Manchester, George
Kennedy, C. wife Manchester, John
Kolm, Frederick wife, Catherine Murray, William
Mackay, Robert wife, Bell and 4 children, Robina, Ann, Alexander, Christina Pollock, John
Padgett, William  wife, Martha and an infant Proudfoot, James
Patterson, Thomas wife, Margaret Smith, Charles
Reed, Robert wife Stewart, John
Scarf, Robert wife, Jane Double White, Thomas
Scarf, William wife and 2 children   
Stranks, W. wife

Single Women

Ward, John wife, Elizabeth and child Elizabeth Chapman, Isabella
Ward, Robert wife, Elizabeth age 25, Catherine age 4  
Ward, Richard wife, Catherine and child Gordon, Christina
Wade, Richard wife, Emma Gordon, Catherine
Wilson, John wife, Elizabeth and 3 children, Valentine, E., Mary Ann Hayes, Isabella
Young, Albert.  wife, Emma and 2 children, Emma, Louisa
Exley, Harpin wife Susan and their son Albert

Chief Cabin
For Canterbury: Rev. Chas. and Mrs. Alabaster, Mrs. and Master Bishop, Miss  Alport, Miss E. Martain, Messers. Morley, Mowbray, Anson, Hepworth, and Watson.  W. Lambert, Surgeon
For Otago:  Messrs. Zemmlan and Bulter
For Wellington: Mr. R. Hart

Second Cabin
For Canterbury: J. Jones and W. Emery
For Otago: G. R. Pace and J. Roxworthy

For Canterbury: G. Hooper, W. Denison, R. A. Eaton
For Otago: J. Manson, P. Coghill, J. Sinclair, McWilliam, T. Lonnon, wife and 2 children

Landed at Lyttelton.

Families Single Men
Abbott, T.  wife and 2 children Bainbridge, A.
Barker, Enoch and two children Emily Jane and Sarah Ann Bennett, E
Barns,  W. wife and 2 children Buckley, D.
Bishop, W. wife and 2 children Chambers, J
Brightmore, W. wife and 2 children Crichton, W
W. Davison, W. wife and child Dann, J.
Douglas, J. wife Everest, W
Duff, J. wife and 3 children Fisher, R
Elliot, J. wife and 2 children Halse, H.
Fisher, Mrs and nine children Matthew, W.
Hardley, J. wife McPhail, A.
Halse, H. wife and 2 children Morris, J.T.
Humphries, J. wife and 3 children Morris, S.
Maddison , W. wife Oakley, R.
McDonald, J. wife Redfern, R.
Morey, E. wife and 2 children Tobin, T.
Murfitt, J. wife and 7 children Wilson, J.
Oakley, A. wife and 3 children
Pearse, W. wife and child Single Women
Piper, J. wife and 4 children Eades, Ann
Redfern, S. wife and child Foster, Amelia
Shepherd, C. wife and 3 children Foster, Elizabeth
Smith, J, wife Hardisty, Mary
Styche, Wm. wife Holdsworth, M.
Wadsworoth, T. wife and 4 children Jackson, Ellen
Walters, N. wife King, Georgina


Otago Lyttelton Timaru Total Adults
Chief Cabin 2 13 15
Second 2 2 4
Steerage 9 5 14
Government immigrants
Married couples 73 65 138
Single Men 17 20 37
Single Women 7 4 11
  13 117 89 219

Equal to 259 souls

an Adult
The ships and masters were limited, by the "The Passenger Acts". (different Acts for different countries at different times, but all along the same vein with the result being better conditions for the emigrant), to 2 tons displacement per passenger. (varied for different time/countries). As part of the Act(s), children were considered  an adult, for under 14 (sometimes under 12) and 1/3 an adult under 7.  Infants were free.  As you can imagine, this sometimes caused Captains to "fudge" the ages, to cram more on board, but it also caused the parents to do the same, because the fares for children were rated with the same percentage.  This is why some people find their "rellies" with an age two or three years younger than they expect!!  Sue Swiggum  co-owner TheShipsList

In the Strathallan, R. Latter, agent, 4 cases, Goldney; 1 case, Walker,1 case, Chapman; 1 do., Leach, 6 cases, 1 pkg., Bishop of Canterbury; 1 case, Wilson; 1 do., Bealey; 1 box, Woolcombe; 6 bales, 26 cases, R. Later; 5 bales, Miles, Kington &Co. 4 hhds., 1 cask, 1 case, G. H. Moore; 32 cases Heywood; 12 bales, 24 cases, 1 parcel, 1 box, Peacock & Co; 15 cases, Weston; 2 pkgs., Bishop; 15hhbs, 22 qr. casks, 6 half hhds., 4 casks, 200 csaes, 15 boxes, Dalgety, Buckley & Co.; 51 kegs, 10 brls. 21 casks, 6 drums, 100 watercasks, Williamson; 3 boys, 2 anchors, chains and shackles, Provincial Government; 10 qr. casks, 6 bales, 8 cases, 2 trunks, parcel, 3 cases, 10 qr casks, Order; and 416 pkgs. for Otago.

Lyttelton Times Jan. 22 1859
Shipping News

    Jan. 19, schooner, Francis, 102 tons, P. Cooney from Sydney.  Passengers: Messers. Allison (2), Dale, and Henry.
    Jan. 21, ship Strathallan, 551 tons, W.R. Williamson, from London, calling at Timaru.  (passengers and cargo in our next.)
    Jan. 19, schooner Ann, 37 tons, Wallace, for Auckland, from Heathcote river.
    Jan. 20, schooner Sea Bird, 20 tons, Thomas, for Akaroa.   Passengers: Mrs. Staples and 5 children.
    Jan. 20, brig Thomas and Henry, 234 tons, Thomson, for Otago.
    Jan. 21, brig Reliance, 118 tons, Smith, for Jacob's River.
    same day, schooner Mary Louisa, 30 tons, Toohig, for Nelson, from Union Wharf, Heathcote.  Passengers: H. Holland, J. Caste, J. Wallace, E. Groves.

The Strathallan has arrived, ninety days out to Timaru, or eighty-two from land to land.  As announced in our last issue, she went into Timaru on Friday last, but the statement of her getting under way again was not correct.  She stood in boldly and dropped her anchor, the weather being very boisterous; when cleared, on Sunday, she stood in 3 miles further, and landed part of her passengers for that place, and next morning she landed the remainder, baggage and all, and sailed the same evening, since when she has been beating up the coast.  She had a few over 200 steerage passengers from London, of whom she disembarked 111 souls, bringing on the remainder.  She arrived too late and brought up at too great a distance from town to enable us to compile a list of those who have been brought ashore; but the following are those who, being shipped for Timaru, did not stay: - John MacDonald and wife and Enoch Barker and family.  Great expedition was shown in getting the people landed with baggage, while the whole proceeding lasting scarcely more than 24 hours.  We learn that the boatmen were inclined to take advantage of the opportunity to make extravagant demands, and that they were going to charge 10s a head; but that they afterwards commuted it to 40  pounds for the whole job.  Mr. Rhodes's wool-shed was made ready for the reception with tolerable comfort. What is most important is that there was no difficulty in obtaining employment, every hand, with scarcely an exception, being at once engaged.  Messrs. Rhodes, we understand, provided against even temporary want of work, by offering a fortnight's employment to a large number at once.  The only accident which happened was the swamping of the last boat but one when on the beach; no serious damage was done.  The Strathallan brings a full complement of cabin passengers, as well as the steerage immigrants mentioned above.

Births on Board

Nov. 23 Mrs. Martha Padgett, a son William Strathallan Padgett
Nov. 24 Mrs. Isabella Hayes, a son Strathallan Hayes

Deaths on Board

Oct 22 Sarah, wife of Enoch Barker aged 36 yrs
Oct 24 William Oakley aged 11 mths
Nov 20 Mary Kohne 6 mths
Dec 12 Arthur Bishop 11 mths
Dec 24 Eliza Ann Double 8 mths
Jan 2 Wm Davidson 14 mths
Jan 6 Louisa, wife of William Brightmore 36 yrs

None of these deaths were the result of epidemic of malignant disease of any description.

Mr Morris wrote in his diary - December 24 - Another stormy day. Shipping water every moment. One sea filled the whole belly of the mainsail and then plumped down the main hatchway. Mr Double's child died this afternoon and was buried directly afterwards. Wind fell off about 8 p.m. Ship rolling fearfully. Southern lights, or Aurora Australis very plain after dark.

Mrs Alabaster
Evening Post
, 3 March 1915, Page 9
The late Mrs. Knowles, who died last, week in Christchurch, was a very old Canterbury identity. Her first husband was the Rev. Charles Alabaster, and with him she arrived in 1859 in Lyttelton by the ship Strathallan, the boat that brought the first batch of immigrants for Timaru. Mr. Alabaster, states the Star, was appointed chaplain to the late Bishop Harper, and was also at one time vicar of St. Luke's. In 1862 he started the Lincoln Cottage Institution in Crammer square, a preparatory school for Christ's College, m the conduct of which he was ably assisted by his wife, who carried it on for many years after his death, which took place in January, 1865. Many persons now occupying leading positions in the community received the rudiments of their education at her hands. In 1891 she married the Rev. F. (now Canon) Knowles, and has resided in the city continuously ever since. She passed away quite suddenly and unexpectedly, as she had been in comparatively good health. The deceased lady was of a kindly and charitable disposition, and her loss is mourned by a large circle of friends and acquaintances.

New Zealand Spectator and Cook's Strait Guardian, 28 January 1865, Page 3
The late Rev. C. Alabaster. Death has removed from our midst one of our most devoted clergymen, and one of our best known fellow- citizens. The Rev. C. Alabaster died on Wednesday last, after a protracted illness, at the early age of 31. The deceased clergyman lost his parents when he was quite young, and was brought op by an aunt, of whom he always spoke in terms of affectionate gratitude. He was educated at King's College, and thence proceeded to Lincoln College, Oxford, of which he was scholar. He quitted the University, after taking the degree of B.A., in the year 1856. He arrived in Canterbury in the early part of 1859, we believe, in the Strathallan, and soon after was elected to represent the clergy of the Diocese of Canterbury in the first General Synod, held at Wellington, which met in March. On his return from that city, in April, he was licensed assistant curate of Christchurch under the late Archdeacon Matthias, and subsequently, under the Bishop of Christchurch, acting as temporary Incumbent. Here he laboured most zealously too zealously for his health, which had never been robust. The daily morning service at 8a.m. (during even the winter months), which he established, also tended greatly to injure his delicate constitution, and it soon became only too evident to his numerous friends, and to his attached congregation, that his insidious disease was making rapid inroads. There is not much to chronicle in the events of his pastorate. Quietly and unobtrusively he pursued his round of ministerial duty "in rest and quietness was his strength." Great was the interest which he took in the schools, both Sabbath and secular, and both owe much to him. He was assiduous in visiting his parishioners, and in lending a helping hand to those in adversity. But it was in the houses of sickness and mourning that he was oftenest to be found, and, invalid as he was, he has been known to sit up the whole night in attendance on a sufferer. About Whitsuntide, 1861, the state of his health compelled him in a great measure to retire from active duty, and a few months afterwards he formally resigned his cure of souls. From this time he may be said altogether to have retired from public life, although be, at times, entertained hopes of again returning to active duty. On one occasion he assisted in the solemnization of Divine Service at St. Luke's, but the effort was exhausting to himself, and produced a painful feeling on the part of his hearers. His last appearances in public were at the Cathedral meetings held in Michael's Church, his zeal in the cause of the Cathedral not allowing him to abstain from taking part in them. We can all remember him there in his frail attenn- excitement producing an effect not soon to be effaced from the recollection of those present He established a preparatory school for young boys at his residence, chiefly directed by the energy of Mrs. Alabaster, which has become one of the most useful institutions in Canterbury, and which promises to be most useful auxiliary to the College. The interest he took in this work was intense ; at a time when, from bodily weakness, it was a laborious task for him to write a letter, it frequently taking him two hours to finish a page, he would not forego his wonted exertions. At length "the silver cord was loosed and the golden bowl was broken," and, beloved and respected by all who knew him, he quietly entered upon his everlasting rest. The funeral took place yesterday at the Cemetery. The procession arrived at the Cemetery about 5p m., having left the house at 4 30. Although the funeral was a private one, a considerable number of persons attended, anxious to testify their respect for the late rev. gentleman. Amongst those present were the Revs. G. Cotterill, F Knowles, J. C. Bagshaw, E. A. Lingard, H. Torlesse, and others of the clergy, his Honor Mr. Justice Gresson. Drs. Coward, Stedman and Barker, Messrs E. Bishop, and Hawkes, besides many other personal friends of the deceased. The pall bearers were the Ven. the Archdeacon of Christchurch, the Revs. J. Wilson, C. Bowen, and C. Cholmondely. Arrived at the Cemetery gate, the Lord Bishop of the Diocese, robed in surplice and scarf, beaded the procession, and commenced the solemn service appointed by the Rubric of the Church, At the conclusion of the ceremony the persons present dispersed.  Lyttelton Times, Jan. 21.

Barker: Enoch Barker married Sarah Hall in England and they had 2 daughters, Sarah Ann and Emily Jane who were 5 and 2 when they immigrated to N.Z. on the ship 'Strathallan'. Sarah (mother) died on the voyage. Enoch remarried.  Amelia. Sarah Ann married Isaac Habgood?? and Emily married George Beale.

CHAPMAN: Isabella Chapman, aged 16, and a domestic servant arrived on the Strathallan, listed as the daughter in law of John Hammond, 38, a sawyer, from Sunderland and Mary age 39. Ten months after her arrival in Timaru she married in 1859 William Warne, a sawyer of Arowhenua. William had arrived in New Zealand on the Blue Jacket. Also on board was John Chapman, 17, son-in- law. Robert Hammond, age 6, son.  Isabella died June 1927, aged 85 and is buried in Geraldine with her husband William who died June 18 1915 aged 81 years. He was born in 1834 and Isabella born in 1842.

1867/25117 Warne Isabella
1874/29428 Warne Walter Leonard
1879/12191 Warne Eveline Maud
1881/10474 Warne Thomas Chapman d. 9 June 1951, buried Geraldine

Press, 3 December 1914, Page 4
Mr Richard Champion, one of the oldest residents of Waimate, died on Monday. The deceased, who had reached the age of 76, left Oxford-hire for Timaru in the Strathallan, arriving in company with Messrs John and George Manchester and Mr Butcher in January, 1859. Messrs Manchester went to work in the district north of Timaru, but Mr Champion came straight on to Waimate.

Press, 11 October 1934, Page 3 [nee Annie M. Double married 1870]
MRS A. TACON Mrs Annie Tacon, whose death occurred last week, was born in Suffolk, England, and arrived in Timaru on January 15, 1859, by the Strathallen, one of the first four ships. Mr Robert Tacon her husband, predeceased her in 1917. Mrs Tacon is survived by two daughters, Mrs W. Foster and Mrs S. Wham (Timaru), and three sorts, Mr C. Tacon (Dannevirke), Messrs R. and J. Tacon (Otipua). She also leaves 20 grandchildren and 39 greatgrandchildren. Mrs Tacon had lived in Timaru or in the vicinity since her arrival in New Zealand.

Star 22
May 1907, Page 1
An old identity, Mr John Duff, died at his daughter's residence, St Asaph Street, on Friday. Mr Duff arrived in the colony in the early fifties in the ship Strathallan, and on arrival he went to live at the Port Hills, Duff's Gully being named after him. After experiencing the many ups and downs of early colonial life, he bought a farm at Sefton, which he recently sold. He leaves three sons and one daughter.

Waimate Daily Advertiser, 4 February 1899, Page 3
On Thursday morning, at the hospital, there passed away Mrs Gordon, mother of Mr W. Gordon, well-known in the district. Deceased, who was 83 years of age, arrived in Timaru in Jan., 1859, in the sailing ship Strathallan, the first ship to land emigrants at the port. With her husband and four of the family Mrs Gordon went to Pareora station, owned at that time by Harris and Innes, and remained there till 1865. They then removed to Waimate, Mrs Gordon remaining here ever since.

Timaru Herald
, 6 June 1896, Page 3
An old woman named Mary Hammond, mother of Mr Robert Hammond, Fairfield, formerly of Geraldine, was burned to death on Thursday night about 9 o'clock. The unfortunate woman, who had been very feeble for many years, lived in a small cottage at Geraldine provided by her son, where for years she had persisted in living alone. 
On Thursday night it was noticed that the chimney of Mrs Hammond's cottage was on fire. When Messrs H. Pratt and Bennington broke open the door they found the room full of smoke and the poor old woman lying with the upper part of her body in the fire roasting. They pulled her out by the legs and extinguished the flames when it was seen that the woman was burned beyond recognition, from the lower part of the chest up.  It appears that she must have fallen backwards into the fire, from the position in which she was found. The deceased was long resident in Timaru, and was, we believe to be of the immigrants by the Strathallan, with her husband and several children. An inquest was commenced yesterday before Mr H. W. Moore, J.P., and a jury of six of whom Mr J.J. McCaskey was chosen foreman.

Timaru Herald, 10 September 1885, Page 2
Obituary. The remains of the late Mrs W. B. Jones were interred in the Waimate cemetery on Tuesday. The deceased was highly respected by all who had the privilege of her acquaintance. She had been living with her family at Waimate for the last ten years, having removed from Makikihi, where Mr Jones had been for many years proprietor of the then Makikihi Hotel. The funeral was a very large one, St. Augustine Church being quite filled during the service, many having to remain outside the building. All classes testified their respect for the deceased ; her old Makikihi neighbors forming a numerous contingent to the large funeral. Speaking of this lady's decease, the Waimate Times says: "Mrs .tones was one of the earliest settlers of South Canterbury, having arrived with her husband and eldest daughter (now Mrs Taaffe), at Timaru in the ship Strathallan, which vessel dropped anchor in the northern roadstead in January, 1858, being the first passenger ship from London to Timaru. Soon after arrival, Mrs Jones came to Waimate, and she was, we believe, the third white woman who bad sufficient courage to select as her future home what was then anything but a civilised locality. Afterwards the family removed to Makikihi, taking charge of the Hotel there till the destruction of the building by fire. As landlady, Mrs Jones was a general favorite, and her kindness and attention to visitors to the hotel, and her scrupulous regard to cleanliness, arc even now still green in the memories of many who had occasion to travel that road in the good old days. From Makikihi the family removed to Waimate, where, for a short time, they carried on the business of the Waimate Hotel, retiring into private life about twelve years years. But Mrs Jones was a woman who could not remain idle, and the last years of her life wore devoted to the relief of the sick and needy ; wherever there happened to be illness, or anguish, there she would be found ministering to the sick and distressed and smoothing the pillows of the dying."

KOHN family of Timaru, New Zealand. Researched by Betty for the now late Robert Kohn of New Plymouth. Posted 8 Feb. 2003.
Harm Frederick KOHN and his wife Katherine Margarete Frederike SOHNITKER came to Timaru on the "Strathallan" Harm KOHN was born 7 Dec. 1827 Germany (where we do not know.)  They married 30 Oct. 1853 Christ Church, St. George in the East, London, England and produced 9 children. Harm KOHN died 15 May 1898 in Christchurch.  I believe that Harm KOHN farmed in Timaru. His wife died 30 Apr. 1902 Wellington. Children:-

1. Catherine Mary KOHN b June 1858 London d. on the voyage to NZ 20 Nov. 1858
2. Anna Fredrica KOHN b 2 Nov. 1859 Timaru d. 25 June 1899 Wellington unmarried
3. Hermina Johanna KOHN b 30 June 1861 Timaru m. 13 May 1880 Timaru Frederick HURT d. 14 Nov. 1936 Summer Hill, N.S.W. Australia
4. John William KOHN b 25 April. 1863 Timaru d. 30 June 1904 Wellington unmarried
5. Alfred KOHN b 19 June 1865 Timaru m. 21 Nov. 1900 Kent Tce. Presbyterian, Wellington Mary MILLER d. 11. June 1922 Wellington.

Caroline KOHN b 5 March 1967 Waitohi m. 17 July 1900 Wellington Robert J. THOMPSON d. 4 Sept. 1902 Wellington this couple had 1 son.
Gerald KOHN b 16 Feb. 1869 Milford m. 3 Sept. 1892 Summer Hill N.S.W. Australia Edith CARTER death date unknown.
Katrina Louisa KOHN b 15 Aug. 1870 Waitohi d. 11 Sept. 1944 Wellington unmarried.
Friedrich Christian KOHN b 300 Sept. 1873 Timaru m. 13 March 1902 Timaru Edith WOOD d. 30 Sept. 1907 Wellington buried Karori Cemetery, Wellington. This couple had 2 children.

Manchester: George Manchester (1838-1907) with his brother John went to Waimate and opened a General Store in Germantown near the stream. In 1865 they moved the store to George's house in High St. and took on a partner Samuel W. Goldsmith. In 1868 they moved to larger premises on the corner of South and West corner of Queen and High street. The three partners were prominent leaders in the Methodist Church in Waimate.  George m. Matilda Fra and she gave birth to a son on Nov. 23 1867.  John m. Opehla Mary Pain d/o Thomas Pain, a builder in Waimate on 16 Nov. 1866.

Ashburton Guardian, 13 March 1911, Page 3cObituary
Mr John Manchester died at Waimate on Sunday; aged 77. The deceased gentleman, who was the father of Mr G. Manchester, of Ashburton, was for many years Mayor of Waimate, and the representative of that district on the Timaru Harbour Board for upwards of twenty-five years. Mr Manchester took a deep and intelligent interest in local government and was a highly respected member of the community, he was born in Leicestershire, England, in 1833 and in 1859 he arrived in Timaru by the ship Strathallan, and passed a few years on a sheep station in South Canterbury. In 1863 Mr Manchester mid his partners started business in Waimate as general storekeepers and merchants-. Sir Manchester served on the Waimate County Council and on the Road Board that preceded it, for over thirty years, and as chairman of these bodies for a 'considerable time. He was also a member' of the Timaru and Gladstone Board of Works, the furs local body in South Canterbury. He was a member of the Timaru High School Board of Governors, and a governor of the Waimate School Board. Mr Manchester was one of the founders of the Methodist Church in Waimate, and held every office that a layman could hold in connection therewith. In addition to being frequently a member of the New Zealand Methodist Conference, Mr Manchester was a representative of the general Conference of Australasia. In 1867 Mr. Manchester married a daughter of the late Mr James Thomas Pain, of Queensland, and leaves a family of two sons and two daughters.

Morey passengers:
Edward William Morey, his wife Charlotte (nee King) and children Mary aged 15, Mira aged 13 and Elizabeth aged 9 settled in Lyttelton and later (around 1867) in Akaroa.  Edward Morey was a builder/stonemason and built 3 well known churches in the area.  During 1859 and 1860 he built the present Holy Trinity Anglican Church in Lyttelton. It seats 400 people and cost 3320 pounds.  It is now the oldest stone church in Canterbury. He also built the present Anglican Church at Governors Bay and another at Okains Bay. Edward was active in local affairs, a keen horticulturist and a leader in the Odd Fellows Lodge.  He also ran a business in Jollie Street, Akaroa where he sold first class bricks, glazed drain pipes, flower pots, vases, pans etc. For further information on the Morey and Oakley families, on the 1858/9 sailing please contact Denys Delany   Posted 19 Nov. 1998

Murfitt passengers:
John MURFITT, an agricultural labourer of Cambridge, departed England on the 12 October 1858 on the Strathallan, with him were his wife, Mary Ann (Topp), and their children Sarah Jane, Ellen Usley, Edward, Frances (Fanny), John William, Catherine, and Harry. Also accompanying the family on the voyage was a niece, Georgiana KING of Durham, a domestic servant, aged 16. The family arrived in New Zealand on 21 January 1859 and settled in Woodend, Canterbury. Further children, Martha Bryant Topp, James Bryant, Ann, George Bryant, David Thomas, Frederick Salathiel, and Phoebe Eliza were born to John and Mary Ann MURFITT in New Zealand. For further information on the Murfitt family please contact Gary Danvers Posted 14 Jan. 1999

Otago Witness, 4 November 1903, Page 29 OBITUARY.
 Mr John Murfitt, who arrived in the ship Strathallan in 1859, and has resided with his family for many years at Woodend, Canterbury, died on 26th at his daughter's residence in Rangiora, at the age of 89.

Evening Post, 8 January 1907, Page 1
PADGET On the 6th January, 1907, at Wellington Hospital, William Strathallan Padget, late of Timaru; aged 48 years.

Press, 15 July 1918, Page 7
MR ROBERT SCARF. Mr Robert Scarf, who died at his residence, North street, Timaru, on July 6th, at the age of 84, was one of the early settlers. He went to Timaru in the Strathallan (the first immigrant ship to go to Timaru) in 1859. He and his wife came out under, engagement to Captain Woollcombe, Magistrate and harbourmaster. Mr Scarf afterwards became one of the first, if not the first, retail butchers in Timaru. He bought merino wethers from the Levels at 40s a head and sold the mutton at 1s per lb. Later he took to road-making, and made the roads out of Timaru north and south, also from Winchester to Geraldine, and several others in the Hilton and Kakahu districts, including the Pipeclay Cutting. He also started a timber yard where J. Jackson and Co.'s factory now stands. For his home he made an early purchase at 2 pounds per acre of 20 acres with a frontage to North street, the block formerly known as Southerton. This he subdivided and sold as time went on, retaining one acre, on which he resided until his death. Mr Scarf was married three times, and leaves a widow and eight children, two of whom reside in Christchurch, Mr Walter Scarf and Mrs E. Leaver. His eldest daughter, Mrs Waters, of Makikihi was born in Woollcombe's barn on October 24th, 1859, and was the first female child to be christened in St. Mary's Church. There are now 16 grandchildren, and 13 great-grandchildren.

Press, 10 February 1917, Page 5
The death is announced at the age of 61 of an early settler of Timaru, Mrs Letitia Walker, of Wellington, who arrived in Timaru an infant with her parents, Mr and Mrs W. Scarf, in the Strathallan, the first direct immigrant ship. She married in Timaru Mr William Walker, a plumber, at that time in the employ of Mr J. Craigie, who removed to Wellington some 28 years ago. She leaves two brothers, Messrs W. and H. Scarf, in Timaru, and three married sisters, Mrs George Hilton and Mrs Fred Tasker, of Timaru, and Mrs Jenkins, of Napier.

STRANKS age 40
Timaru Herald
, 12 October 1870, Page 2
Sudden Death. Our readers will learn with very great regret that Mr W. Stranks, of the Crown Hotel, Temuka, expired suddenly on Monday afternoon, on his farm at Orari. From what we can gather it appears that the deceased was out among his men on the farm that afternoon, and appeared to be in even more than his usual health and more cheerful than ordinarily. After remaining with his men a short time, he said he would go down the river bank to look up some sheep, and left word with one of his men to meet him in a few minutes time outside the paddock gate. Mr Stranks then rode away, but very soon afterwards one of the men looking up from his work observed his master's horse walking leisurely homewards without his rider. The alarm was at once raised, and the men went down the track the deceased was known to have followed. About fifteen chains from the entrance to the paddock gate, alongside the fence, he was found lying on the ground, stone dead. The supposition is, that feeling unwell, he got off his horse and died almost instantaneously, as there were no marks where he was lying to indicate that he had fallen from his horse to the ground. Only a few days since the deceased made a remark to a friend, that some day he would be found lying dead in the road, and how painfully have his words been verified! Mr Stranks is an old settler, having come to the district in the Strathallan in 1859. On first arrival he took a situation on the run of Messrs Harris and Innes, on the Pareora, mid after remaining there some considerable time leased the accommodation house at the Orari. He then established a small farm near the Orari river, and lived there two or three years. Some time ago he went back to his business of publican, and leased the Crown Hotel, at Temuka. Mr Stranks has always borne the character of an honest, steady, and persevering man of business, and was much respected by all who knew him. He had long been suffering from heart disease, and probably to this cause his death is to be attributed. An inquiry is to held at the Orari this morning, before Mr Woollcombe, the coroner, at ten o'clock. The funeral will take place in Timaru on Friday next, it always having been, we hear, the wish of deceased that he should be buried in the Timaru cemetery.


Timaru Herald
18 August 1910 Page 2
MAJOR YOUNG. The late Major John Albeit Young V.D., who died at his residence, Winchester, yesterday morning. at 3 o'clock, was born at Wotton-Under-Edge, Gloucestershire; England, in 1832, and was educated there. He was apprenticed to the cabinet-making trade m London, and resided there for eight years. He was married to Miss Tarrant, of Plastow, Essex. Leaving London in October 1858 for Timaru by the ship ''Strathallan'' (Captain Williams) he worked for some time in the bush and then started in business as a carpenter and builder. He went into partnership with Mr Philip Dale (of Timaru) as building contractors, and alter this partnership was dissolved, took the original Arowhenua Hotel, which stood on the opposite corner to the present house, remaining there for three years. He then engaged in business as a storekeeper and butcher at Georgetown, Temuka, and afterwards opened a similar business at Waimate. Returning to Winchester he built the Winchester Hotel, the first public house there, and two years later built and conducted the Royal Hotel at Temuka. After some years !he returned to Winchester, let the hotel and built another, the "Wolseley," which be conducted for about five years. On leaving this hotel Mr Young carried on a storekeeper's business or some three years and farming on a small scale. Major Young always retained an interest in volunteering and was one of the promoters of the Temuka Rifles which were enrolled in 1868. He was promoted to ensign in that year, lieutenant in 1870, captain in 1875, and major (unattached) in 1883, and received the long service and Imperial medals. He was quarter-master of the South Canterbury Battalion until it was disbanded in 1888, and had served the full limit of service for an officer, allowed by the volunteer regulations. In 1873 he paid a visit to England for the benefit of his health. He was a member of the Masonic, Lodge, was chairman of the school committee for some years, and had been chairman of the Winchester Domain Board and Sports Association since 1882. Major Young who was 79 years of age at the time of his death, will be accorded a military funeral winch will take place at Temuka on Friday. Members of the Garrison Band and all volunteers who can attend will go out from Timaru by the 1.30 train. He had a family of two sons and five daughters. Two sons and four daughter and their mother still alive and 26 granchildren.

Press, 24 May 1935, Page 2 MRS WILLIAM DE RENZY
Mrs Emma Elizabeth de Renzy, of Winchester, widow of Mr William de Renzy, who died on Tuesday at the home of her daughter, Miss K. de Renzy, Christchurch, was the eldest daughter of the late Major J. A. Young, who was well known in the Temuka district. She was born in 1855 and arrived, with her parents, at Timaru in the Strathallan in 1857. Her parents settled first at Georgetown, between the Temuka and Opihi rivers, where she went to school, being one of the first-day pupils of the Temuka District High School, then situated at Georgetown. On the occasion of the school's diamond jubilee at Easter, 1934, she was present and had the honour of cutting the jubilee cake. She subsequently attended a private school at Dunedin. After some years, with her parents she removed from Georgetown to Arowhenua, and later to Temuka, and finally to Winchester, where she married Mr de Renzy in 1881. One of her most treasured possessions was the family Bible presented to her on the day of her wedding which was the first celebrated in St. John's Church, Winchester. She always remembered the kindness of the Maoris while the family lived at Georgetown, and often referred to the fact that, the chief of the Arowhenua Pa had saved the lives of her two sisters after they had eaten poison tutu berries. She is survived by five sons, Messrs John, Thomas Albert, and Arthur (Winchester), William (England), and Cyril (Christchurch), and two daughters, Miss K. De Renzy (Christchurch) and Mrs W. Finlayson (Dannevirke). There are 16 grandchildren. The funeral took place at the Temuka Cemetery, the bearers being Messrs John de Renzy, Arthur and Gordon Young, and Alick Smith.

Timaru Herald, 5 November 1904, Page 2 GOLDEN WEDDING.
On Tuesday, 2nd inst., Major J. A. Young, and Mrs Young, of Winchester, celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their wedding day. Born at Wotton-under-edge, Gloucester, and Paislow, Essex, respectively, they were married on November 2nd, 1854, at St, Jude's Church, Middlesex. Emigrating to New Zealand, with two children, they arrived, in Timaru in the Strathallen, the first direct ship calling at that port. After many vicissitudes, they, finally settled in Winchester where they have since resided. Mr Young built the Winchester and Wolseley hotels, and as chairman of the Park and Domain Boards for many years, was mainly responsible for the beautiful trees that now adorn these reserves. Upwards of 30 years service in the volunteers, gained him the V.D., with the right to retain his title of major, and to wear his uniform when he thought it desirable. At his residence, The Villa, Winchester, which is really the prettiest nook in South Canterbury with its beautiful shubbery, well kept lawns, and flower beds, Major and Mrs Young entertained their numerous friends on' Tuesday last at a garden party, there' being about 80 present, and a most pleasant afternoon was spent. Amusements, consisting of croquet, bowls, and archery, were indulged in, while some nice trips were made in a boat in the pretty creek running at the foot of the garden. Some felicitous and congratulatory speeches were made by the Rev. Mr Farley, and Messrs James Blythe, and Philip, of Temuka, Major Young thanking all present for their kindly wishes. The were recipients of many useful and ornamental presents, including a handsome silver tea kettle and stand, presented by Winchester residents, and a very ornamental brass fender and fire irons, presented by friends in Temuka. A beautiful five decker wedding cake must not be forgotten, the work of the Major's daughters, the artistic icing, etc., having been executed by Mr G. Bryant. In the evening the younger members of the community were entertained at a dance in the Victoria Hall, when a delightful time was spent. In conclusion it may be mentioned that Major Young has a family of seven, two sons and five daughters, all married, and twenty five grandchildren, all living.

Strathallan.jpg (75341 bytes)South Canterbury's Early Settlers and Immigrants by M.B. Wilkinson, 1990 South Canterbury Historical Soc. Publication, has list of early settlers and immigrants 1850s and 1860s, an a reproduction from a painting by Walter Gomm, held by the Otago Settlers Museum, Dunedin.  Appendix has immigrant and passenger vessels up to 1880.

O.A. Gillespie book South Canterbury A Record of Settlement has a list of passengers who disembarked at Timaru and an account of the voyage   page 464.  'The Strathallan's Arrival' "Among the Strathallan's passengers were some immigrants who had been unable to join their own ship because of illness and had been left behind. They were not included in the passenger list because their passages had already been paid as immigrants and debited against the ship in which they should have travelled."  Mr. J. Morris who disembarked at Lyttelton but settled in Timaru and J.A. Young accounts of the voyage and arrival are in South Canterbury A Record of Settlement appendix.

Anderson, Johannes C.  Jubilee History of South Canterbury; Whitcombe & Tombs, 1916.  Illustrated with many photographs, graphs, sketches maps and plans. 775 pp  Also contains the passenger list.

The actual passenger list is in Christchurch at the Christchurch City Central Library Assisted Emigration to Canterbury, New Zealand by the Ship "Strathallan" Oct 12 1858 probably the list of embarkation and includes 'Country Occupation and Total cost of passage'.

John Wilson & Family he came from Co Down was a labourer at a 	total cost of 51 pounds
Harpin Exley & Family from Yorkshire a brickyard labourer 		total cost of 42 pounds ten shillings
Enoch Barker and family a gardener from York 			total cost 51 pounds. 
2�  Robert Ward      	27  Leicestershire   Laborer Farm
         Eliza(beth) Ward 	25
        Cath(erine)           	 4 
 Total cost of passage money to Provincial Government   42.10 pounds  
Amount payable by Individuals:  In cash 4 pounds.  In promissory notes  34.10 pounds

Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand - folder 115 pages
Preston, Ivy Alice, 1913-2010: Elizabeth Ward, pioneer
The biography outlines the main events in Elizabeth's life, including the upbringing of her children, and provides a picture of pioneering life in South Canterbury. Elizabeth Ward (1831-1927) and her husband, Robert Ward (1836-1875), emigrated to New Zealand from Scotland on the Strathallan in 1858 and took up farming at Pareora near Timaru. Robert was killed in a farm accident in June 1875 and Elizabeth continued to farm there, remarrying twice, firstly to Robert Stokes then to John Ward, nephew of her first husband.
Scope and Contents :
Stokes, Robert fl 1835-1883
Ward, Catherine fl 1858-1880
Ward, John, fl 1840-1890
Ivy Preston, Timaru, 1991, great grand-daughter.

Available on microfilm at the New Zealand Room, Christchurch City Central Public Library on microfilm. There are two films, labelled:
Emigration to Canterbury: Shipping Lists 1
Emigration to Canterbury: Shipping Lists 2

The selection of ships on each is arranged alphabetically, with the original "Strathallan" passenger list on the second reel. 

The list is also on microfilm  Immigrant ships to Canterbury, 1853-1885 and in Manchester, A  Manchester family tree page 51 at the New Zealand Room Christchurch Public Library.

Other early  passenger ships to Timaru were: "Echunga" arriving 16 December 1862 with 310 immigrants but only 121 landed at Timaru because accommodation had not been provided for. "Lancaster Witch" arrived  13 October 1863 with 125 immigrants. "Victory"   arrived 16 October 1863 with 113 passengers.  Source: South Canterbury A Record of Settlement

Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, 12 January 1859, Page 3
The heavy moorings for Timaru are on board the Strathallan. That vessel is under contract to lay them down. They are guaranteed, and have been tested by the Admiralty to hold ships of 1,000 to 1,200 tons.

Otago Witness, 26 February 1859, Page 4
Arrived Feb. 21. Corsair, 134 tons, Gay, from Port Lyttelton, with cargo transhipped from "Strathallan," 40 bags salt, 13 cases corrugated iron, 210 boxes soap, 143 bars iron, 31 cases, 17 casks, 1 box, and 31 packages luggage, besides cargo for Timaru. Passengers  Messrs. F. Twenilon, E. Butler, A. Wilkinson, J. Gardner, Emery, Pace, and Manson.

The name "Strathallan" has been applied to streets in Timaru and Dunedin, a farm on Ashwick Flat, Fairlie as well as a few businesses in the South Canterbury region. 

Evening Post, 8 December 1914, Page 2
(BY Telegraph. PRESS ASSOCIATION) TIMARU, 7th December The Strathallan homestead, near Fairlie, was destroyed by fire this mottling. The fire was started by sparks from the burning of trees, uprooted by the recent gale. Some of the furniture was saved. The shearing shed belonging to Mr, Roach at Orari was burned early this morning with shearing machines, engine, 200 sheep, and five bales of wool. A fierce gale was blowing. The fire was probably caused by a spark from the engine boiler.

Timaru Herald 12 January 1865 Strathallan Anniversary Timaru Herald 19th January report on the ball

Timaru Herald 12 January 1865 Strathallan Anniversary.
A public ball will be held at the Mechanics' Institute, on Tuesday, January 17th, 1865, to celebrate the Landing of the Passengers from the above Ship. Double tickets 7s 6d, Single Tickets, 5s  to be obtained of Mr Butterworth, Queen's Hotel; Mr Green, Royal Hotel; Mr Faiers, Club Hotel, Mr McKinley, Arowhenua Hotel; Mr Dyson, Crown Hotel, Timuka; and of Mr Padget, Timaru.         

Evening Post, 14 January 1909, Page 8

[By Telegraph Press Association.] TIMARU, This Day. To-day is the fiftieth anniversary of the arrival in Timaru of the ship Strathallan, the first immigrant ship to arrive in South Canterbury, and opportunity has been taken of the occasion to celebrate the progress of the district during its first half-century. The morning broke dull, but the weather cleared, and there is every prospect of favourable conditions. The programme for the day comprises a monster procession, followed by a luncheon to three hundred early settlers. The Premier and Lady Ward and Miss Eileen Ward came to Timaru last evening to participate in the festivities. H.M.S. Pioneer also arrived last evening. This afternoon will be spent at Caroline Bay, and the day will be brought to a close with a fireworks display by the shipping in the harbour.

Timaru Cemetery

Ashburton Guardian, 1 July 1905, Page 2
Obituary.- Another of the old settlers in South Canterbury, Augustus Bambridge, passed away at Temuka yesterday morning, at the age of 77 years. The deceased left London in the Strathallan on the 12th October, 1858, and arrived at Lyttelton in January, 1859.

Uncovering the Strathallan's secrets
By Rhonda Markby - The Timaru Herald | Tuesday, 13 March 2007

EARLY SETTLERS: Alan McKenzie has completed biographies of most of the passengers on the Strathallan, the first immigrant ship to Timaru. Among those on board were Augustus and Charlotte Bambridge who are buried in the Timaru Cemetery. Their son John is buried at Temuka. So you can proudly trace your family tree back to the Strathallan, the first ship to bring immigrants to Timaru? Well you could be in for a surprise when some of the family secrets emerge thanks to a book being written by Timaru man Alan McKenzie, to coincide with the 150th anniversary of the ship's arrival. About 100 people were on board when the first immigrant ship arrived at Timaru in January 1859, and Mr McKenzie has managed to produce biographies for all but about 20 of them. His plan is to have all the biographies completed in time for a book to be published for the 150th anniversary celebrations of the Strathallan's arrival. Still to be completed are those of the passengers who have been the most difficult to trace. His hope is someone may already have biographical details on them, saving him having to hunt them down. What he does know is not all those who think they are descendants of the very first settlers actually are, and those who are, may not be so impressed when they learn of the goings-on of their forebears. There are those who always thought their relatives arrived on the Strathallan simply because they arrived in Timaru in 1859. After further research Mr McKenzie found their names on passenger lists for vessels which actually berthed in Lyttelton, with the passengers later making their way south. Of course the passenger lists weren't always accurate. There were those who were meant to be on earlier assisted voyages but missed the sailing. Their names didn't appear on the Strathallan's passenger list even though they were on board. Then there was the man who claimed he had arrived on the Strathallan. He did, but his name wasn't on the list because he was a runaway sailor. And of course not all those who arrived were upstanding citizens. "There may be some things families will not be pleased to see (what their relatives got up to) like those who appeared in court cases; mostly just theft and fighting," Mr McKenzie said of some of the material he has uncovered.

Still on the list to be found are.- William Berrill (carpenter) and his wife Abigail from Bedfordshire, England; George Gordon, his wife Christine and their family, who settled at Gordon's Valley; Frederick Kohn, his wife Catherine and their family, from Germany; Richard Wade (farm worker) and his wife Emma, from Middlesex, England; H. Healey who did not appear on the passenger list, but appeared in a newspaper report of the ship's arrival; John Clark (farm worker and shepherd) from Aberdeen, Scotland; William Murray (farm servant), from Scotland; James Proudfoot, from Perthshire in Scotland who may have settled at Orari; John Pollock (labourer), from Ireland; John Stewart (farm servant), from Scotland; Charles Smith (bricklayer) who may have farmed in the Winchester area; John Thomas Morris who is remembered for his poetry contributions to the Timaru Herald; John or Jack Hughes, Charles Fraser and Sarah Downs who were not on the passenger list, but in 1909 attended the early settlers jubilee dinner, stating they had arrived on the Strathallan. Anyone with information on the missing settlers can contact Mr McKenzie by email and cc Olwyn 

Temuka Cemetery - Augustus Bambridge, died July 3rd 1905. Arrived Strathallan, 1859
Timaru Cemetery- Harpin Exley and wife Susan, passengers on the Strathallan.

The Passenger Act 1852 was introduce by the British Government to reduce losses from disease and to encourage more people to emigrate. Included:
Passenger decks only to be used to carry passengers.
A minimum of 15 sq. ft (1.4 sq. m) for each statue adult
A  minimum of 6 sq. ft (1.83 m) between decks
Emigration officer appointed at port of departure to inspect ships and ensure all requirements met
Doctor to be carried
Sexes to be segregated
Adequate ventilation to passenger decks
Lifeboats to be carried in direct ratio to numbers of passengers
Cargo to be loaded in designated area
Length of voyage limited to 140 days maximum from UK to eastern seaboard of Australia
Strict scale for the provision of food during the voyage
Reference: Ancestor (Quarterly Journal of the Genealogical Society of Victoria, Australia) Vol. 21 Number 8 Summer 1993/1994
The Statutes of Great Britain.  The Canterbury University Library Law Department Library holds British Acts.  1864

Another voyage. To Port Chalmers, Otago, January 1858

20 March 2000 Timaru Herald
January 14, 2009, exactly 150 years will have passed since the first immigrants arrived on the Strathallan, direct from Britain to Timaru.
To celebrate the first 50 years, from January 14, 1859, a book by Johannes Anderson titled Jubilee History of South Canterbury was published.
To celebrate 100 years of history, to January 14, 1959, a further book was published, with the cost of publication guaranteed by the Timaru City Council and the other South Canterbury local authorities. This book was called South Canterbury -- A Record of Settlement written by O A Gillespie.
Would there be council financial support for the publication of a book to celebrate South Canterbury's 150 years of history? This would appear to be a very worthwhile community project. South Canterbury has a very proud heritage which deserves recognition. A J Shewan, Fairview.

Strathallan Anniversary Project 2009 - Timaru At Last!

As part of the 150th anniversary of the Strathallan's arrival in Timaru, NZ, in January 1859 biographies of the passengers who disembarked at Timaru were gathered.  There were about 100 passengers made up of about 27 married couples/families and 18 single persons so in researching this number Alan was very reliant on using others research, which was acknowledged. We are still interested in family history for any of the Timaru passengers or passengers who landed at Lyttelton but came to the Timaru area and the runaway sailor who deserted in Lyttelton but also came to Timaru! Also interested in any family anecdotes, photos, documents, etc that could be used. Contact: Alan F McKenzie 4 Braemar Place Timaru. Phone 03 6844913 or e-mail  (please enter Strathallan in the subject area with Surname). Thanks. The Strathallan Anniversary Project book manuscript along with illustrations is now published and  is available. It is fully illustrated with over 100 photos, documents etc including a copy of an original painting of the Strathallan by Raymond Morris great grandson of immigrant John Morris the Strathallan diarist, artist and poet. 

Timaru Herald, 28 January 1871, Page 6
On the 1st of January, 1859, Timaru could boast of only three houses, two of which were public houses, and one private, in which lived Captain Cain and his family. The two were public houses in every sense of the word. Night and day, Sunday or any other day, it was all the same, you could always get drink. In addition to these three buildings there was a store, where you could got everything if they had it, or if they had time to find it for you ; but if they could not find it, you could look for it yourself. [A voice Those were good times.] The post-office was also in connection with the store, which despatched a mail every fortnight, and it got to Christchurch some time or other if it was not lost on the way. In addition to the places enumerated there were two other places, a shearing shed and a wool shed. The inhabitants  settlers numbered about twenty, including three ladies and live or six little girls. The surrounding country produced nothing but wild Irishman, tussocks, and cabbage trees, and was occupied by sheep and wild pigs. Timaru then had its fashions, like other places, and it was quite fashionable to wear hob-nail boots, Bedford cord or canvass trousers, blue jumpers, hats, smoke a short pipe, and drink P.B. There were no churches ; in fact there was a great absence of spiritual matters, although there was no lack in spirituous matters. They had a paternal government which allowed two public houses at which any one could get drunk, with or without money. Their food then consisted of mutton, bread, and tea, or sometimes wild pork, and occasionally sardines or potted salmon. They had no milk or vegetables ; in fact, milk was scarcely required, as the clay colored the water abominably. The Sundays differed from other days owing to no one working, and were spent according to the tastes and temperament of individuals, but were generally spent in smoking, drinking P. B., duck-shooting, or pig-hunting. About this time commenced that pernicious system of credit which has proved one of the greatest barriers to the town and trade of Timaru. Of course, in those days there was some necessity, and, therefore, some excuse, for there was very little coin or notes in circulation. Upon the arrival of the Strathallan their numbers were considerably increased, but not the amount of capital ; in fact, there existed a great scarcity of circulating money. Captain Cain then issued " notes of hand," which answered capitally at the time. Of course it was impossible to do without the credit system then, but there was no need for its existence now ; it had existed long enough. It was a ruinous system to customers as well as to the merchants. Let them try the cash system for twelve months. If they did that, he would stake his word they would be perfectly astonished at the results at the end of the year. The storekeepers would be glad too, for they would be astonished at the sumllness of the book debts. He (Mr Healey) said he had told them what Timaru was twelve years ago, they could see what it was now. He was perfectly astonished at the progress it had made ; every day it was a source of wonderment to him. Mr Healey than sat down amid cheers. [A voice " But what about the railway ?"] Mr Henley replied that they must remember that the railway was not yet in existence. "The kindred societies," coupled with the names of Mr Williams and Mr Clarke, were then proposed. Brief responses were given by those gentlemen. " The Visitors" was the next toast, coupled with the name of Captain Cain. Captain Cain said, as Mr Healey had referred to the early days of Timaru he could not help saying that he could hardly realise that the Timaru of to-day and the Timaru when he landed on the 10th March, 1857, were the same. At that time there was but one resident and his wife and family in Timaru. It was a perfect wilderness all around. Any one could hardly have been considered sane to think of remaining, for it looked desolate indeed. He, being an old colonist, was not dismayed, for he saw a vast area of country with good soil, and he was thou confident that Timaru would some day become a place of commercial importance, as there was no other outlet on the coast for shipping produce. The rapid strides it had made since then were almost incredible. The first year he settled down there were about 300 bales of wool shipped. The squatters themselves helped to load their wool. The arrival of the Strathallan gave the place a great impetus, and since then it has continually prospered. They were suffering just now from a little depression, but they must not complain, for it was a depression felt all over the colonies, but he believed Timaru would got over its difficulties ; it had large resources, and he had every faith that Timaru would one day be one of the leading places in the Middle Island, judging from the wonderful progress it had made of late years.

TIMARU AT LAST ! Five houses in sight.
J.T. Morris passenger on the Strathallan

South St. Timaru



This page may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion except for private study.