Grant of Elloughton Grange, Timaru

And Eastern Empire shipmates to Lyttelton Jan. 1865

Ashburton Guardian, 25 June 1918, Page 2 EARLY DAYS.
CANTERBURY IN 1864. (By an Old Colonist) [Duncan ROSS]

We all landed in small boats at Lyttelton from the sailing ship Eastern Empire, after over five months' voyage. We walked over the hills to Christchurch. The "City of the Plains" was then a plain, but not much appearance of a city. I believe there were two or three churches. Old St. Andrew's was one, the minister being the Rev. Mr Fraser. There were no proper roads or fences.
    I had a billet to go to in the Mackenzie country. Mr Clewes had the station then at Symon's Pass, so I started from Christchurch by Cobb and Co.'s coach, crossed the Rakaia River by boat. Some of the early South Canterbury squatters were :—Sturriker Sowden and Ford Henry, Grampian Hills; Hurst, Gray's Hills; John Hay, Lake Tekapo; Hugh Fraser, Benahine; Tom Wall, Irishman's Creek; Patterson, Lake Pukaki; and Stark Bros, Glentana. I do not think any of these early settlers made money. Prices were very bad. Wool was 6d per lb., and sheep were selling as low as 1s 6d per head, and there was a great difficulty in getting the wool away. The wages then were: Shepherds £50 per year. The same for bullock drivers, all found, of course. Shearers, 15s per 100; musterers £1 per week. The sleeping accommodation was bad, and the food was served in a rough way, but it was plentiful. Clothes were dear. A good pair of boots cost 30s to 32s. People for the most part seemed content and happy. There was no grumbling. What a blessed country New Zealand would be if the drink were never allowed to enter. I have known so many fine men to fall under on account of it.
    In the year 1868 we experienced the heaviest fall of snow on record here. It kept on without ceasing from Monday till the following Sunday. In some place's it reached 7 feet without a drift. Great floods followed in the low-lying country.
    Road-making and fencing were in full swing, and men were looking to get small holdings and some thinking of making homes and getting married and getting more in the saving line. Then came improvements. The Rev. Mr Preston, Anglican Minister, and Mr Barkley, Presbyterian, came in turn from Geraldine to hold services at Burkes Pass. People came from five to 20 miles to the services. The ministers were much liked. It was wonderful the amount of work and fatigue they went through. In Timaru, the two hotels were the Royal and the Milton, Goods coming to Timaru were landed in surf boats. Few shops were there at that time, and, if I remember rightly, there were no churches there in the year I landed. When first I passed through Ashburton I remember only two or three houses, made of cobb and slab; One was kept by Mr Turton. It was a lonely looking place in 1865. The great rush to the West Coast gold mines was in full swing. Working men at present have far better houses to live in than most of the squatters had in the year 1864 and for many years after. The early settlers had to put up with inconveniences that would surprise the present dwellers, and they did so cheerfully. The women had their share of hardships, too, and helped to make New Zealand what it is.  

Star 3 September 1912, Page 1 MR PETER GRANT
Timaru, September 2. The death occurred yesterday of Mr Peter Grant, who belonged to a family which is very well known in South Canterbury. Mr Peter Grant was the first member of the family to come to New Zealand, taking a position with Mr T. H. Lance at Horsley Down, North Canterbury, in the early days of the settlement. He liked the country so much that he induced Mr William Grant and Mr Andrew Grant, his brothers, to follow him to New Zealand. After spending some years in North Canterbury Mr Peter Grant settled in Ashburton, where he was occupied as a dealer for many years.

Ship CHRYSOLITE Gravesend (8 Aug 1862) to Lyttelton (24 Nov 1862)
GRANT Alexander 25 Shepherd Ross-shire
GRANT Peter 20 Shepherd Ross-shire

Timaru Herald, 4 September 1912, Page 4. DOD 1st Sept. Aged 72.
The funeral of the late Mr Peter Grant took place yesterday, and was largely attended, among those present being a good many residents of the Mackenzie Country amongst whom deceased lived for many years. In the early days the late Mr Grant was one of the most successful stock dealers in New Zealand, and he used at that time to trade principally between Canterbury and the West Coast.

Timaru Herald, 2 September 1912, Page 4
GRANT.—On September 1st, at Timaru; Peter Grant, in his 73rd year.

Timaru Herald, 17 April 1905, Page 2 DEATH.
GRANT.—At the Private Hospital, Waimate, Alexander Grant; aged 67 years. [Waimate Cemetery: GRANT Alexander 16/04/1905 age 67 Presbyterian]


Elloughton Grange aka The Grange, 1 Pages Rd, Marchwiel, Timaru. Named by T.W. Hall after his father's village in Yorkshire. He sold the property to Wm. Grant in 1883. The South Canterbury Hospital Board purchased the property in 1954 and opened it as The Grange, a geriatric home. The property was sold to a private retirement home company operating under the name "Elloughton Gardens." Elloughton Crescent is in the Mountain View Retirement Village.   


This is the side of the two-storeyed, 17-roomed mansion on the outskirts of Timaru built for William Grant in 1893, had five chimneys now all removed due to the earthquake risk. Designed by a Belgian designer in a South Canterbury, N.Z. landscape. Maurice de H. Duval would have supervised the building. Built with stone faced with concrete, a Jacobean style with Scottish theme emphasised by thistle motifs in the plaster work and Scottish thistles on the iron finials. Photo taken Nov. 2008. Mr Maurice de H. Duval not only designed churches, schools, furniture, homesteads and other public building but he was active in the community volunteering his time, skills and energy. He arranged concerts, a had great skill of organising, was choir master for twelve years, a labour of love, cultivating a love of music in Timaru, sang at events, conducted, sketched for the newspapers, acted in plays, wrote letters to editors of various newspapers, lectured on points of local concern, a committee member for many different societies, architect to the Board of Education for Timaru and raised a family and left a legacy, the churches and homesteads in South Canterbury, a fine memorial.


Elloughton Grange, a palatial home, the name is written above the balcony. Porches have a purpose. This porch with columns makes the transition between inside and outside comfortable and is an architectural way of saying "Enter here." Photograph taken by the Steffano Webb Photographic Studio, Christchurch. ATL c. 1893-1920. The view from the front of the house is outstanding, over the Washdyke Flat, to the Sherwood Range and the sea in the opposite direction.  Finials, folderols, flagpole and wrought iron railing on the steep pitched roof enliven the skyline but are now out of favour. The four 500 gallons water tanks means water will be gravity feed into the house. An old cabbage tree in in the foreground with a weeping tree to the left and a palm tree in the centre. A gardener would have been employed.

Timaru Herald, 27 December 1895, Page 3
A notification appears this morning of the death at Invercargill, and at the age of 76, of Thomas Williamson Hall, who was one of the early settlers, and for many years a prominent public man in South Canterbury. The deceased, and his brothers Sir John Hall and Mr George Hall both of whom are living in Christchurch, are representatives of a well-known family of ship owners and shipmasters of Hull. He was educated in France and Germany, and at the age of 16 went to sea, becoming an owner and master on his own account at an early age. In 1852 with his wife and two young children he set sail for New Zealand as an intending settler, his brother John being already established in the Hororata. The vessel they came in as passengers, the Mahommed Shah, was unfortunately burnt at sea off Australia, but the ship's company were fortunate enough to be rescued by a brig belonging to Van Diemen's Land. Mr Hall, after a short look round betook himself to pastoral pursuits. He took up a run on the Rakaia, and later became one of the pioneer pastoralists of the Mackenzie Country. He sold out his interest there and purchased a property near Timaru, [in 1881, 1010 acres] and called after his father's place Elloughton Grange. He lived there a good many years, and then sold it to Mr William Grant, and came to live in town, purchasing the brick house on LeCren's Terrace now occupied by Captain Sutter. After spending a few years there he removed to Invercargill, where he has since resided. He was not a public man in the same sense as his brother Sir John, but he took an active interest in local affairs, being a member of the Timaru and Gladstone Board of Works, chairman of the Hospital Board, and member and some time chairman of the Timaru Harbour Board. He is well remembered as an energetic, straightforward and honourable man, somewhat too determined to have his own way; hut that is often characteristic of old seamen. He was one of the earliest and most energetic advocates for the construction of a harbour at Timaru, and had not a little to do with the selection of Mr Goodall's design for the work from among the competitive plans, and while he remained m Timaru continued to take a lively interest in the progress of the work. Mrs Hall, a hale old lady, two years her husband's senior, survives him, as as several grown up sons.   

Dec. 2009, gm
Grants Road is named after Scottish shepherd William Grant and Andrewville, Temuka is named after his brother, Andrew Grant.
 

10th Feb. 2018. 1 Pages Rd.  Now called Radius Elloughton Gardens, a retirement village set on 5.35 acres of private gardens and parkland with a great house with respite care, rest home, hospital level care and palliative care.
The site in May 2020 consisted of Elloughton Village with 54 chalet-style villas and Radius Elloughton Gardens rest home to 65 residents aged from in their 40s to late 90s. The historic home is primarily the dining room and a lounge for rest home residents.

William GrantGRANT brothers. Andrew of Willowbank, Temuka and William of Elloughton Grange, Timaru.

William Grant was born on Kirkan farm, in the parish of Contin, Ross-shire, Scotland, on 23rd September 1845, the son of Ann Tait and her husband, Donald Grant, a shepherd. With an older brother, Andrew, William set out for New Zealand in 1864 on the Eastern Empire, arriving at Lyttelton in January 1865, he was only 19 years of age. They had at least one border collie dog with them on board, and C.G. Tripp happened to be on the wharf observed that when he met the lads and hired the owner of the dog and his brother to work at the Orari Gorge Estate. They also had a brother Lachlan Grant. William left the station after he got some experienced and became a stock and land buyer. Grant knew where to buy stock, where to graze them and where to sell them. He was a fine stockman. He had it down to an art. Andrew, as overseerer, stayed on and married in the end of 1873 and stayed another three years then he followed in his brothers footsteps and started dealing stock. William and Andrew owned part of Rangitata Island in 1878, Arthur Hope went there that year as a cadet and he recalls he was called at 5 am by Andrew Grant, "Now, young man, get up quick, I'm going to take some of the drawing room out of you today." William sold his share and travelled to Scotland in 1882, and when he returned he bought Elloughton Grange, 1010 acres, from Thomas Hall. Grant married Elizabeth Helen Allan d/o Robert Allan, a contractor, near Timaru, on 30th April 1884 and they lived at Elloughton Grange in Pages Road, and his land extended down to the Washdyke Flat. His son owned racing stables at Washdyke, but that was many years later. He also owned a farm up Fairlie way.  

William Grant purchased Irishman Creek in 1883 and sold it back to Saunders in 1890. In 1902 he sold it and The Wolds back to Grant with 25,952 sheep. Grant had used Irishman Creek for a depot for storing sheep during hard times so probably missed the Mackenzie and the land. Grant had a manager on it. Grant also owned The Wolds which was first taken up by T.W. Hall. Robert Allen, a brother-in-law, aka Bob, managed the stations until 1911 when they were again made separate stations. When Grant died in 1910 his widow retained The Wolds homestead block and the station was subdivided in 1911 into Maryburn, Mary Hill and The Wolds. The Grant children together with their cousins (the Andrew Grants of Temuka e.g. Lockie) would always spend six weeks' holidays at The Grampians. Mrs Grant took the train to Albury but the children travel with the groom in a wagonette a day earlier. From Albury they would go through the Mackenzie Pass and onto the Grampians. The children would run around bare footed. Grampian Hills was sold to Grant the end of 1892 and Grant sold it in 1907. After her death The Wolds remained in the Grant family until 1957 when it was sold to Michael G. Murray.

Simon MacKenzie’s mother Jessie was the sister of Donald Grant, William Grant’s father. Simon did not have a middle name, but his son was Simon Grant MacKenzie who took over Clayton Station along with his brothers. Simon MacKenzie, born in Contin, a first cousin to Andrew and William Grant came out in the 1880s and also started dealing in stock and land and also worked with William Grant and did well so shared the astute genes. He had interests in five of the Mackenzie stations, ten other in NZ and four Australian stations. Also owned Raincliff 1920-26 then purchased Clayton Station for his sons who held it until 1964. Simon's mother was Janet Grant who married Alexander MacKenzie. He retired to Otumarama, the family farm on Pages Rd, until the land was sold for subdivision. References: Early South Canterbury Runs by Pinney. Obituary - Press, 7 November 1910, Page 7

Alexander Grant married Jessie (Janet) McLennan with siblings Donald (William of Elloughton father), Janet (who married Alexander McKenzie [Simon’s Father & Mother]) and Alexander (no details as yet).

Mt William Grant, 2556m / 8386ft, was named by T.D. Burnett. William was a firm friend of Andrew Burnett and son, T.D. and is remembered for mustering wild cattle in the Mt Cook, Lilybank, Balmoral, Glentanner gorges and driving them to Timaru with their stockmen -Elijah Smart, Frank Rossiter, Bill Burgess and others.  


 1882 William purchased the 1,010-acre Elloughton Grange farm from T.W. Hall.  Elloughton Grange, the old homestead built in 1893 - is listed as a category 2 building under the Historic Places Act - will be upgraded inside in 2014 but its exterior will remain untouched. The first stage would see the community centre built and infrastructure such as roading, power and water installed, then some of the villas developed in the allocated 21,690 square metre area in the grounds.  November 2014 there are workmen and large machinery everywhere. A few of those beautiful trees have been toppled to make room for 54 retirement villas and a hospital wing to give another 20 beds. The development appears to be confined the paddock right against Old North Road. Photo taken Nov. 2014. Compare the gates at the 1908 Aigantighe (opens in a new window)

Timaru Herald, 7 November 1910, Page 5 WILLIAM GRANT (1845 - 1910)
 A NOTABLE COLONIST. Mr William Grant, one of the foremost men in the agricultural and pastoral life of the Dominion, died suddenly at his home in Timaru (Elloughton Grange) on Saturday morning. He had been supervising the drafting of sheep the day before, and went to bed apparently in his usual health at 9.30 on Friday night, though he did mention when he was retiring that he had a pain in his left side. He slept through the night, but at one o'clock on Saturday morning he woke suddenly and calling Mrs Grant asked her to send for a doctor as he felt that he was dying. Mrs Grant immediately sent for medical aid and summoned the members of the family to the bedside of their father, who passed away four minutes after asking that medical aid should be sent for. When the doctor arrived he pronounced the cause of death to be aneurism of the heart.  Deceased was 65 years of age. He had intended leaving for Christchurch today to attend the Christchurch show for which, as usual, he had some sheep entered. —a form of competition in which he always took a keen interest. For some time past Mr Grant's most intimate friends had noticed that his health was not what it used to be, but no one imagined that his end was so near. News of his death spread quickly and it caused a profound sensation in Timaru. Deceased, though a very wealthy man, was quiet and unassuming, always treating everyone alike, and he was respected by the whole community. He had been a good friend to many, and more than a few successful farmers in South Canterbury to-day owe their success to the start given them by him. Many were the acts of kindness which he performed in an unostentatious way, never looking for thanks, and apparently never desirous of receiving any outward show of appreciation. Much good that he did therefore, is unknown to the general public, and this is as he would "have it be.
    Mr Grant came out to the Dominion in 1864, and like many others of the early settlers he was not then blessed with much in the way of cash; but he was blessed with a good constitution, a great capacity for work, a determination to get on, and get on he certainly did. His work was his recreation, and he seemed to have a never-failing energy in the conduct of his business, added to which he was a man of very keen intellect.
    He came to New Zealand in the ship Matoaka [sic]. At that time the late Mr C. G. Tripp was in possession of Orari Gorge station and being in need of a shepherd he went to the vessel which Mr Grant arrived to see if he could pick up a man such as he wanted. Being favourably impressed with the appearance of Mr Grant, who was then only 19 years of age, he engaged him for work on Orari Gorge station. In addition to being paid so much a year he had the privilege of running a certain number of cattle of his own on part of the run, and it was this that gave him his first start in the business at which, he was probably more successful than any other man in New Zealand. He served Mr Tripp well and the latter thought highly of him, but it was soon seen that his business capacity was such, as fitted him for something wider than anything that could be done within the limits of a stock station. And so he went into business as a stock dealer on his own account. At first he dealt almost exclusively in cattle, which he used to drive over to the West Coast to which part of the island he made many rough trips overland, sometimes taking sheep as well as cattle. This was at the time of the rush to the goldfields on the coast, and there was then a good market for stock there, the population of Hokatika then being considerably larger than it is to-day. As a change from this rather rough life he later on settled in Temuka, where he engaged in farming and continued his business as a dealer on a very extensive scale, being easily the largest dealer in stock in South Canterbury then and for many years afterwards. Some little time after starting in Temuka the deceased bought a block of country on Rangitata Island and went into partnership with one of his brothers—the late Mr Andrew Grant. After holding and working this property for some years he disposed of his interest in it and went for a trip Home. He returned to New Zealand, bringing out some stock with which to improve the breeds here, and he subsequently did this several times. Every trip he took Home he purchased stud stock, and in this way he did a good deal to improve the stock of South Canterbury. He took a great interest in sheep and cattle, and there were few if any better known breeders or dealers than the late Mr Grant. For many years he has sent away a good many stud sheep to fill orders which he received from Australia, and he has also received requests to supply sheep from as far away as Canada.
    About 28 years ago Mr Grant bought Elloughton Grange from the late Mr T. W. Hall—a very fine estate within a mile and a half of Timaru Post Office. On this he built a mansion house and has lived there ever since. A very thorough man, he always farmed his land well, and his farm and stations as well as the stock upon them always had a prosperous appearance. He believed in understocking rather than overstocking and acted accordingly. His business, always carefully looked after, grew to very large dimensions and at different times he held controlling interests in properties in practically all parts of South Canterbury as well as in Otago. In the Mackenzie Country he held three stations—The Grampians, The Wolds, and Irishman's Creek. A year or two ago he sold the first-named, but held and worked The Wolds and Irishman's Creek stations up to the time of his death. With his high country sheep he was just as successful as with those which he kept oil the lower country near Timaru. Up to about 10 years ago he continued actively in the stock dealing business, but latterly he had taken things easy. He was a very big exporter of frozen meat, and had a big interest in the Christchurch Meat Company as well as in many other commercial undertakings. For years he was the largest shipper and buyer of stock in South Canterbury, and as such did consider, able service to the district, his extensive operations having the effect of keeping up prices. Mr Grant was married to Miss Elizabeth Ellen Allan, in 1884, daughter of the late Mr Robert Allan, and he is survived by his wife and four children—three sons and one daughter to whom the sympathy of wide circle of friends will be extended. Mrs Grant has already been the recipient of many kind messages of sympathy from all parts of the Dominion. His funeral takes place to-morrow.

  

Motion of Condolence. At the meeting of the Farmers' Union in Timaru on Saturday, Mr John Talbot, President, made feeling reference to the death of Mr Grant, who he said had been associated with agricultural and pastoral pursuits of this district for many years, and news of his death came as a painful surprise to them all. He could not be considered an old man, and they might reasonably have expected that he would have been with them for a few years longer, but apparently it was not to be, and they all regretted it deeply. Mr Talbot moved ''That this meeting expresses its deep regret at the death of Mr Wm. Grant, and that a letter of condolence be sent to his widow and family." Mr Garland (Waimate) seconded the notion, which was carried in silence, all members standing.

Timaru Herald, 25 January 1886, Page 3
On Elloughton (Mr W. Grant's) are 50 acres of wheat and 190 of oats, 60 acres of the latter being already cut. The oats should run about 40 bushels to the acre, and the wheat 30. In addition to these crops Mr Grant has 150 acres of turnips, which are doing fairly well, and which should give a capital yield now moist weather has set in.  

A sorrowing angel. 
Andrew Grant b in Timaru 20th Nov. 1895, died 8th June 1954 aged 58, husband of Stella Beatrice Grant.
Elizabeth Helen Grant b. Aug. 24th 1862, lived in the homestead until her death Aug. 4th 1942.
Robert Allan Grant b. Sept. 17th 1890 died Dec. 22nd 1942.
Jessie Grant b. Jan. 8th 1887, died Nov. 5th 1888.

BDMs

Births: Children of Elizabeth Helen and William GRANT
1885 Grant Donald d. 1950
1887 Grant Jessie d. 1888
1888 Grant Joy Elizabeth aka Ivy d. 1965
1890 Grant Robert Allan d. 1943
1895 Grant Andrew d. 1954

Christchurch Star Wednesday 24th October 1888 Birth
GRANT - October 22nd at Elloughton, Timaru, wife of W. Grant, a daughter.

Timaru Herald Nov. 1888 Death
GRANT. On Nov. 5th, at Elloughton Grange, Jessie, the dearly beloved daughter of Wm. and Elizabeth Grant, aged 1 year and 9 months.

Timaru Herald, 25 November 1895, Page 2 Birth
Grant — On Nov. 20th, at Elloughton Grange, the wife of W. Grant, of a son.

Star 9 January 1899, Page 1
Timaru Herald, 9 January 1899, Page 3
A lad named Alexander Grant, fourteen years of age, son of the late Mr Andrew Grant, of Temuka, who was living with his uncle, Mr William Grant, at his residence, Elloughton Grange, near Timaru, went with one of his cousins, Donald Grant, a lad of the same age to bath in a dam on the farm near the house on Saturday forenoon, and was drowned. Andrew Grant is the well-known sheep dealer of Temuka. Mrs Grant's cook, J. Leary, was immediately sent with an improvised grappling hook. W. McRae, Mr Grant's shepherd, stripped and made many efforts to find the body. Constable Crawford fetched a fishing net. Body recovered. The inquest was held at the house at 4.30 pm. by Mr Wray, Messrs J. Mundell (foreman) D. McLaren, S. McKenzie, A. Scott, A.R. Allan and W. Annand. The funeral for the deceased was held Jan. 9 and the place of interment being the Temuka cemetery.

Press, 27 January 1912, Page 1 Marriage
JAMIESON—GRANT— On January 24th, at Chalmers' Church, Timaru, by the Rev. McCauley Caldwell, James F.K., only son of James Jamieson, Hereford street West, Christchurch, to Ivy, only daughter of the late William Grant, Elloughton Grange, Timaru. [James Forrester Kemp Jamieson (1887-1980) s/o James S. Jamieson who died ChCh in 1927, buried Addington. His brother was William Graham Jamieson. William Frank Jamieson born 1913 to Joy and James Forrester Kemp Jamieson. Joy was aka Ivy. Parents of Andrew Jamieson, Grant Jamieson and Hamish Jamieson. Ivy Jamieson is buried in the William Grant plot. She was born at Timaru 1887 died 16th Sept. 1965, aged 78. J.F.K. Jamieson b. CHCH 1887 d. 27th Aug. 1980, aged 92 is also buried there in Timaru.]

Timaru Herald, 25 January 1912, Page 5
A quiet wedding, but one which attracted considerable interest was celebrated yesterday at Chalmers Church, the contracting parties being Miss Ivy Grant, of "Elloughton Grange" daughter of the late Mr William Grant, to Mr F. K. Jameson, of Kaituna, North Canterbury. The Rev. A. Macaulay Caldwell officiated. The church was very artistically decorated for the occasion. After the service the church a numerous party assembled at the home of the bride's mother, where a sumptuous, wedding breakfast was laid. Both the bride and bridegroom were the recipients of many handsome presents.

The Ladies

Timaru Herald, 7 December 1912, Page 3
Mr Evans and Mrs W. Evans, Mrs McFarlane, and Mr and Mrs Simon McKenzie, have returned from Australia in the Maunganui. The latter are living in the Melville Gray's house, Kinnoull Street.
    Mrs Grant is back from Kaituna, where she has been staying with her daughter, Mrs Jamieson.

Timaru Herald, 1 November 1913, Page 3
Mr and Mrs Jamieson, and Miss Logan, who are staying with Mrs Grant at Elloughton Grange, leave by motor to-day for Kaituna.

Press, 28 March 1930, Page 6
Mrs J. F. K. Jamieson (Kinnoull, Tycho) is the guest of her brother, Mr Alan Grant (The Wolds, Mackenzie Country).

 Grange means a country house with its various farm buildings, usually constituting the dwelling of a yeoman or gentleman farmer.

WA-42354-F
  The woolshed is sitting this side of the homestead, can count five chimneys with a driveway of deciduous trees. Oct 1956 "Whites Aviation Collection, ATL" This is the Grange of the Grants. In the background you see the new state housing of Marchwiel. Selwyn street can be seen heading off into town from the homestead trees. Not far from Caroline Bay and Ashbury Park. Marchwiel Park remains intact.

The Courier 9th Nov. 1917
Trees have been felled on Elloughton. Elloughton was settled by the Hall family who eventually sold the property to grant. The Hall family have a painting done by William Greene showing the avenue of trees leading to the homestead.

Pages Road was Halls Road named after Thomas Williamson Hall and he lived at the opposite end of the road to Joshua Page (1826-1900)


2014 capture from gm. Elloughton is still on the outskirts of Timaru. Taitarakihi Creek sometimes spelt Te Aitarakihi. This creek was located near the bottom of the southern side of the Showgrounds Hill. It had its beginnings up in the Elloughton Grange property and ran through Old North Road along the back of Grantlea School and down to Evans Street. It formed the southern boundary of the Showgrounds and went through the railway embankment and through the Council's Pound Paddocks and entered the sea at that little cove between Smithfield F/W and the Abattoir. Pylons run from the substation along the creek today.

2014
You can still make out the foundations for the old implement sheds.

Hounds

Timaru Herald, 15 April 1910, Page 7 MR GRANT'S MEET.
The hounds were met yesterday at Elloughton Grange at the invitation of Mr W. Grant, whose presence through unavoidable absence was much missed. There were a great many at the meet, although the opening day of the Golf Club was probably responsible for attracting many who would otherwise have been present.

Wanted

Timaru Herald, 9 February 1866, Page 3
LOST, either in Timaru or on the old North Road, between Mr. T. W. Hall's and the Town of Timaru, the brass out of a carriage wheel. 10s. Reward for anyone returning the same. T. W. HALL.

Otago Daily Times 7 May 1913, Page 1
WANTED, a First-class GARDENER; references required.—Apply Mrs W. Grant, Elloughton Grange, Timaru.

Timaru Herald, 23 February 1914, Page 10
WANTED — A Cook; no washing, for Mrs W. Grant. Elloughton Grange. Apply Mrs McGill, Hydro Building.

Timaru Herald, 25 February 1914, Page 10
WANTED EXPERIENCED GARDENER, must be a single man. Apply MRS W. GRANT, Elloughton Grange, Timaru.

Timaru Herald, 8 April 1919, Page 10
Wanted - A HOUSEMAID. Apply MRS GRANT, Elloughton Grange.

Timaru Herald, 11 November 1919, Page 10
WANTED AN EXPERIENCED PLOUGHMAN to drive 6-horse team. Apply: D. GRANT, Elloughton Grange.

Mr Donald Grant (1885 - 1950)

Donald was educated at Waimataitai Primary School and Waitaki BHS. When he left school he worked for his father at Elloughton Grange and took over the farm and the stud sheep flock and expanded  and prospered. Donald inherited Elloughton Grange in 1910. He exhibited sheep and horses at A&P shows throughout the South Island and in Royal Shows. Farmers today do the same thing, they want a ribbon from a Royal show. He was past president of the Timaru A & P Assoc. and a member of the Canterbury Sheep-owners' Union.  He also had interests in The Wolds, Maryburn and Birchwood in the Mackenzie and was a member of the Levels County Council. He was a keen horseman and took an interest in racing, both as an owner and a member of the controlling body. He also served as president of the South Canterbury Jockey Club. Pink Coat was his first racing venture. His other horses were Kinnoull, Density, Botany and Vitamin.

Strathconon stud was originally at Fairlie, then a racing stable and stud at Washdyke. Bill Grant moved the stud from Fairlie to Washdyke. Stallions were Jekyll, Queen Whalve, Insolvent, Grey William, Grey Wayys.


Levels Racecourse, 28 May 1938, W.G. Tweedy, Mayor of Timaru

He died in 1950. In 1952 all of his property was divided between his four children. The children attended Waimataitai school. Donalda and Donette Grant (twins) were each left half of Elloughton Grange. Donette's half was called Elloughton Grange and Donald's half became Elloughton. Elloughton was run by William (WA) "Bill" Grant, Donalda's brother until 1956 when Donalda and her husband E. J. Richards took over running the farm and had a house built in 1958 and stables. A woolshed was built in the early 1960s on Kellands Hill Rd, prior to this they used the woolshed at Elloughton Grange.  In 1998 some land was under the City Council rates and became very expensive so 11 acres was sold off along Pages Rd and then sectioned off and is now houses. John and Donalda retired in 2001 and and leased the farm and held a clearing sale and sold all stock and plant. E.J. Richards died in 2007. In March 2008 Elloughton farm leased to Westgarth Farm Ltd (Bruce, Rosa and Hamish Westgarth). They run the farm  in conjunction with a farm "Valley View" on the The Brothers at Cave. Rosa is the gg-daughter of Wm. Grant. In 2013 they continue to run sheep and fatten some cattle. Reference: Century Farm: 1 folder: Elloughton Farm. Original owner was William Grant, who acquired 1010 acres in 1881. In 2014 the property was awarded the New Zealand Century Farm and Station award to mark over 100 years of continuous ownership by one family. Application form submitted by Estate of EJ and D Richards (Donalda Richards (1928 -      ); brief history.  ATL


Border Leicester, a dual purpose breed, Timaru Show. In the 1950s my father on a hill country run near Fairlie ran the Border Leicester ram cross the Corridale ewe, for the open face, higher lambing percentage with good mothering skills, large lean lambs, with strong long wool and a heavy wool clip

Press, 22 August 1923, Page 4
Mr Donald Grant, of "Elloughton Grange," Timaru, left last week for Sydney, where he was to have been married yesterday.

Cleara May Grant born in Sydney 8th March 1892, w/o Donald Grant. Died 26th Oct. 1952, aged 60. Buried Timaru Cemetery.
Donald Grant born in Timaru 26th March 1885. Died 24th April, 1950, aged 65. Buried Timaru Cemetery.
Probate: Donald, sheepfarmer, of Timaru, wife Clara May Grant and son William Arthur Grant b. 7th June 1924, d. 20 April 1983. Had a brother Andrew Grant of Fairlie, a farmer.
Clara had brother Edwin Tapsell of Ogilvie St, Peakhurst, NSW. A daughter Donette Grant, b. Timaru 29th March 1928, of Timaru, spinster b. 29 March 1928. Died 1992. aged 65.
  


1940s, Fairlie Show. Donalda on the right. Older sister Denise Grant on the left.

Mr Robert Allan Grant (1890 -1942)
Born Sept. 17th 1890. Died Dec. 22nd 1942, buried Timaru.

Otago Daily Times 23 December 1942 Page 1
GRANT. On December 22, 1942 at Timaru, Robert Allan, beloved second son of the late William and Helen Grant and late of " Strathconan," Fairlie; aged 52 years. Deeply mourned. Private interment. Hall and Moore, funeral directors.

Royal Aero Club Aviators’ Certificate
Robert Allan Grant b. 17 Sep 1893 Timaru
Address: Strathconan, Fairlie
Certificate taken on Caudron Biplane at Canterbury Flying School, Christchurch, NZ, 14th Nov. 1917.

Allan, a wealthy bachelor, own Strathconan, just south of Fairlie. His father and his uncle came from Dores, Invernesshire, Scotland. He loved flowers and his garden was a real show place. The garden is at its best with spring colour - whether it be bulbs, blossom, azaleas, rhododendrons, new lush green leaves on trees, being set off against our stunning mountain views of Fairlie and the surrounds. Allan also owned Mt. Edward, Lake Tekapo. President of the Fairlie A& P Show in 1924. Reference: Easter Monday in the Highlands, A Century of Mackenzie Highland Shows

Strathconan, Nov. 2014, photo taken by CJ.
Strathconan, was always a picture with gates and strainer post painted white every spring and everything looking spic and span. Nov. 2014, rhododendron flowering.

Press, 24 February 1888, Page 2
In the teeth of a fierce nor'wester, I left the Point on Tuesday, and drove to Strathconan, about a mile from Fairlie Creek, the residence of Mr Maclean, where I was hospitably entertained, both then and on my return journey. The house, a large concrete building, situated on a gentle eminence, surrounded by a tastefully laid out plantation, and commanding a magnificent view of the mountains, on the tops of which the snow lies for the greater part of the year, there is an abundant supply of water which rises some miles away in the hills, and by force of gravitation comes up to the house and on its way down irrigates the garden and paddocks. Here I saw the beneficial effects of irrigation. The raspberries were large and abundant, and the same may said of the other bush fruit and vegetables. The outbuildings are in keeping with the requirements of the estate, which comprises several thousand acres of freehold. A good deal of the land is yet. In tussock, it lies well facing the sun and is admirably adapted to sheep; about 200 acres is broken up every year for oats and turnips and then laid down in English grass. Here I saw a small herd of very handsome Ayrshires, which were larger than any I have seen elsewhere, and I have seen and kept a good many in the old country. 

Lyttelton Times 11 May 1908 Page 6
On Saturday the Strathconan estate of 1076 acres, which adjoins Fairlie township, was offered for sale at Timaru. The property was submitted in eight lots, the largest being 337 acres in area, and with one exception the lots were sold. The prices realised ranged from £l2 to £33 per acre, the sale realising £10,987 10s.

Timaru Herald, 17 January 1914, Page 3
Mrs W. Grant, Elloughton Grange, returned, from Strathconan yesterday. Miss Agnes Grant comes back from Christchurch early next week.

1914. Fairlie district, population did not come in any great wave, as most of the land was taken up in rather large blocks, and it is only within recent years that these properties have, been cut up for smaller settlement. Apart from the land held by the neighbouring station, the Allandale, Strathconan, and Lambrook estates were, the first blocks to be taken up for settlement. 

Timaru Herald, 11 May 1908, Page 4
Land Sale. At their land salerooms on Saturday the National Mortgage and Agency Company (per Mr A. Scott, auctioneer) submitted for sale by auction about 1076 acres of the well-known Strathconan estate which adjoins the township of Fairlie. The part of the estate offered is that portion extending from the homestead on the main road to the corner of the showgrounds and running back some distance, the block being cut up into four fair-sized farms, one smaller farm and three town sections. There was a large attendance at the sale.
Lot 1 containing 303 acres was passed in at £9 per acre
lot. 2. 267 acres, was sold at £l2 15s to Mr A. Ward, of Henley, Taieri. this buyer also securing lot 5 337 acres at £l3 5s:
lot 3. containing 32 acres was passed at £l4 per acre, but was sold at £20 to Mr Isitt. who was acting for the Mackenzie Agricultural and Pastoral Association.
Mr T. S Woods became the purchaser at £13 10s per acre of lot 4 121 acres:
the three town sections aggregating 14 acres were purchased on behalf of Miss L. J. McLean, Fairlie. at £33 per acre.

Ashburton Guardian, 28 September 1908, Page THE STRATHCONAN ESTATE. [4000 acres]
On Saturday afternoon, in the N.M. and A. Company's land saleroom, Timaru, the balance of the Strathconan estate, Fairlie, [the first sale was in May last] consisting of 4000 acres, was submitted to public auction by the National Mortgage and Agency Company, in conjunction with the Canterbury Farmers' Cooperative Association. [ Lot 4 adjoining the reserved homestead and bearing the woolshed, stables etc, was withdrawn from sale.]
    Lot No. 1, 76½ acres, was started at £8, and run up to £13 10s per acre, at which price Mr J. Craigie was declared the purchaser. This appeared to be a good start, but it was not kept up. Lot 2, adjoining, 146 acres, started at £5, and was passed to Mr Kerr at £7. No bid was made for lot's, 412 acres, nearest to Fairlie along the school road. For lot 6, next along that road, 355 acres, 120 acres of turnips, £6 was the first and only offer, and the auctioneer, said that nothing like that would do. The adjoining lot, No. 616 acres (254 acres limestone tussock land), started at £5, and was passed to Mr Jas. Scott at £6. Lot 10, 1250 acres of tussock, after a long wait, elicited one bid of 50s, and the auctioneer closed the sale; it was evidently no use trying to sell. [Block 10 Containing sold in Dec. 1910]

Oamaru Mail, 4 March 1911, Page 5 [1156 acres]
Strathconan Estate, Fairlie. The unsold portions of the above fine Property are now for Sale on Easy Terms. Delivery 31st March, 1911, as under:—
BLOCK 5—Containing 412 Acres.
BLOCK 8—Containing 405 acres.
BLOCK 9—Containing 339 Acres.
All the Blocks are within a few miles of the Fairlie Railway Station. The quality of the Arable land is such as to return good crops of Cereals and Roots. The Pastoral lands are on fine sunny slopes, on which sheep do remarkably well.

Timaru Herald, 4 May 1914, Page 12
PART STRATHCONAN. NEAR FAIRLIE. 616 ACRES FREEHOLD, Suitably Subdivided, well fenced and watered. New 5-Roomed House, Woolshed, Stable, Yards, etc. situated about 3 miles from Fairlie railway station. The above is mostly of limestone formation. The greater portion of the arable land is deep black soil capable of growing anything. It is warm sweet country, on which Sheep do particularly well. For sale at a very reasonable price. Full particulars from the THE NATIONAL MORTGAGE AND AGENCY CO. OF N.Z., LTD., AGENTS FOR— Shaw, Savill and Albion Co., Ltd. Union Steamship Co. of N.Z., Ltd. National Insurance Co., Ltd. Lloyds. AGENCIES AT Geraldine, Temuka, Fairlie, Pleasant Point.

Timaru Herald, 2 November 1914, Page 12 Temuka Sale 3rd Nov.
Special entry, account R. A. Grant. Esq. "Strathconan"
1 2-YEAR-OLD PEDIGREE AYRSHIRE BULL (prize taker at Show).
1 15 MONTH OLD AYRSHIRE BULL. 

Strathconcan, Nov. 2014, photo taken by CJ.
Strathconan, Nov. 2014. The house is a concrete house built in 1877 by Donald McLean has a Historic Places Trust category 2 listing on it.  The silver birches on the edge of the pond on the left are self sown. Diagonally going up the hill behind them is a line of Lime trees. On the right hand side in the photo, there are two silver birches and the rest are oak trees. The old Fairlie Golf links on Strathconan still has some of the chestnut trees in it.


Allan Grant's home in 1937.


Allan Grant's gardens in 1937.

Timaru Herald, 11 August 1908, Page 6
The Fairlie Golf Club has once more shifted its links, these being now laid down immediately in front of the Strathconan Homestead. The course is a truly sporting one, the bunkers being numerous and in many cases very difficult to negotiate successfully With a little effort the greens can be made fairly good. A match will be played on Thursday, August 20th, Married v. Single, sides being chosen by the links; Lady members are requested to join in the match.

Timaru Herald, 9 March 1909, Page 7
The general meeting of the Fairlie Golf Club was held at the Gladstone Hotel on Friday evening last. There were about 20 members present, Mr F. R. Gillingham (president), occupying the chair. He outlined the report for the 1908 season, showing that the club had played three matches, one with Geraldine and two with Timaru. Although the club suffered defeat on each occasion, yet the matches had all been most enjoyable. Quite a number of club matches had been played, and several competitions throughout the season had been in every case keenly contested. For the purpose of drawing the players together two social evenings had been held and these were highly successful. The club was rather unfortunate in losing its old links, and after two or three changes, they were able, owing to the kindness of the Misses McLean to put down a course immediately in front of the Strathconan homestead. The greens were gradually improving towards the end of the season, and should this year he in very good playing order. The following officers were then elected:—President, Mr F. R. Gillingham vice-presidents, Messrs S. Gillingham and W. F. Hamilton; secretary, Dr Cook; treasurer, Mr R. L. Banks; committee, Messrs Roberts, Wigley, Trotter, Nolan and O'Brien; auditor, Mr C. Pilkington. Votes of thanks were passed to Miss McLean, to Dr Cook (secretary), and to the ladies for supplying afternoon teas throughout the season. A short discussion took place as to the best method of rearranging the course in order to improve some of the holes, and an enthusiastic meeting terminated with votes of thanks to the chairman.

Strathconcan, Nov. 2014, photo taken by CJ.
At Strathconan there are three original Wellingtonia trees. They would probably be about 90-100 years old in Nov. 2014. There were only ever three. In the middle is a magnificent Copper Beech.

Strath is Gaelic for a wide valley.
conan is a traditional Gaelic name for wee dogggie.

Mr Andrew Grant of Elloughton Grange (1895-1954)

Born in 1895 at Elloughton Grange, educated at Waimataitai School and Waitaki BHS s/o William Grant. He worked at Elloughton Grange until he joined the Army and served in Egypt and Western Europe. In 1916 when he was overseas his mother purchased Allandale, near Fairlie, for him. He was stocky, a hard man on horseback, always wore spurs and had his mount sweating and prancing in no time, had a passion for cars, an expert at the drafting race, a man of tremendous stamina, at times he could follow horse-drawn harrows over rough ground, blistering feet notwithstanding, for days at a time, at other times overly fond of a dram, generous to a fault. He employed a manager and sometimes a house keeper. He lived there and between Strathconan which was owned by his bachelor brother Allan. In later years he lived up School Rd. He was a breeder of draught horses, "Desire" was his foundation sire. His Clydesdales were magnificent in their turn out, with silver studded harness. He went to Scotland to buy some and arrived back with their grooms who looked after them on the way over.  He ran a stud of shorthorn cattle importing the initial stock from Canada. and later had success with racehorses, had his own private stables in Oamaru. He owned Stratheona, in 1927 purchased Strathallan and took over running Strathconan after his brother died. In 1947 Strathallan was acquired by the Government and subdivided along with parts of Allandale. Andrew Grant was president of the Mackenzie A&P Show for two years in a row 1928-29, of one of the few to do so. When he was involved all his workmen were brought in to prepare the grounds for it. In 1934 or 35 he was the first to own a road horse float in the Fairlie area, a Bedford truck unit. He died in Timaru in 8th June 1954, leaving no family. Reference: Easter Monday in the Highlands, A Century of Mackenzie Highland Shows. There is a good photo of him in Aspects of Allandale on page 7 at the 1937 Fairlie Show with two of his prize winning Clydesdales.

His nieces were the twins Donalda Grant, Donette Grant and Denise Grant and nephew was William Arthur Grant.

Pte Andrew GRANT WW1 10815
Occupation: shepherd for Donald Grant
Mother: Mrs William Grant, Elloughton Grange, Timaru
Presbyterian, 20th Nov. 1895, Timaru
Unit: NZ Cycle Corps, C. Squadron 13MR
Commenced duty: 10 Feb. 1916.
Disembarked ex Mokoia, Eng 22 June 1916
Embarked for Marseilles, Alex. 10 July 1916
3 Aug. 1917 In the field.
Overseas service: 2 years 353 days
Total service: 3 years 101 days.
Theatres of operation: Egyptian EF 1916, Western European 1916, 1917, 1918
Embarked for NZ per S.S. Corinthic from Tilbury, 12 March 1919. Arrived April 22 1919.
Discharged: 21 March 1919
Height: 5' 7", weight 157 lbs, eyes grey, hair brown, age 20 and 3 months 21st May 1919
Last address: Allandale Estate, Fairlie  

New Zealand Herald, 16 March 1935, Page 14
Friday Many North Island purchases of Clydesdales were made at a disposal sale by Mr. Andrew Grant, of Allandale, at Timaru yesterday. Competition was keen, the top price being 300gns for Lady's Desire, purchased by Mr. S. Condon, of South Westland. North Island purchases included the stallions Ellesmere, bought by Mr. W. G. Shannon, of Palmerston North, for 185gns. and Allandale Standfast, by Sisam and Son, of Whakatane, for 100gns.; the rising three-year-olds, Allandale Winalot, bought by Mr. S. A. Court, of Hamilton, for 150gns., and Allandale Cameronian, by Mr. W. S. Glenn, of Wanganui, for 100gns. and the two-year-olds, Allandale Hallmark, purchased by Mr. Glenn, of Wanganui, for 120gns., and Braemar, bought by Mr. J. W. Harding, of Waipukurau, for 150gns.

Auckland Star, 12 September 1936, Page 4
Wellington, Friday. At the sale of imported Clydesdale horses held at Trentham by Wright, Stephenson and Co., Ltd., on behalf of Mr. David Adams, of Auchencraig, Dumbarton, Scotland, a record price in New Zealand of 1700 guineas was paid by Mr. Andrew Grant, of Allandale, Fairlie, for the Clydesdale colt Strathmore Streamline. The two-year-old filly Dees Rosetta was bought by Mr. Grant for 1500 guineas.

Evening Post, 17 March 1938, Page 7 SALE OF CLYDESDALES
Timaru, March 16. Buyers were present from all parts of New Zealand at a sale of horses from Mr. Andrew Grant's well-known Clydesdale stud at Allandale, Fairlie, today. Top price was 150gns for the three year-old filly Allandale Helen, which was purchased by Mr. J. Harding, Waipukurau. Two five-year-old mares realised 97½gns. Mares sold particularly well, a two-year-old bringing 71gns. Top price for colts was 27½gns. The sale included 42 horses, of which 38 went at auction. Mr. R. Craig, Palmerston North, took nine mares, Mr. J. McMurray (Gore) five, and Mr. A. Freeth (Blenheim), four. Other sales ranged between North Auckland and Edendale, Southland.  

Clydesdale at Kimbell, Nov. 2009
The Clydesdale and the Shire are two breeds of draught horse. The Clydesdale often is bay in colour and show significant white markings. Today, the Clydesdale stands 16 to 18 hands (64 to 72 inches, 163 to 183 cm) high and weighs 1,800 to 2,000 pounds (820 to 910 kg). The breed has broad forehead and wide muzzle. Four white fetlocks -they also have extensive feathering on their lower legs. A young Clydesdale at Kimbell, Nov. 2009. The Shire originated in England and have a long lean face and few white markings.

I recall the joy of being able to go and sit under the hazelnut bushes on Strathconan in the Autumn and feast away on these delicious little joys of nature. Still love them but they need to be quite fresh to hold their flavour. I presume that we were allowed to eat the windfalls there but not harvest and not take off the property? I remember the wonderful Clydesdales at the Easter Show and I also recall that there was a plantation in the Allandale area that spelt out the name by use of contrasting trees. Was it Allandale or Strathallan? Do you recall? Another memory is watching a very large machine called a Gyrotiller working on the front paddock at Strathconan. Using rear rotating blades it was driven on tracks and the concept was to deeply cultivate the subsoil. Google Fowler Gyrotiller for more. This would have been about 1936/7 I think. I recall also a bit later on, during the war, picking potatoes on the Grange property near Kellands Hill. wrote John S., Jan. 2014. There is another Grant that I recall. The nearest I came to knowing him was to help pick a crop of his potatoes on a north facing slope facing Washdyke and the plains. I never met Donald but did see his twin daughters Donalda and Donette from time to time. This was the 1940s when we had moved to Washdyke from Fairlie.

Oamaru Mail, 5 October 1914, Page 1 [purchased in Scotland in August 1913, came out on the Opawa from London to Port Chalmers Sept. 1913]
Mr J. A. Dunbar, of Alma, has sold privately to Mr Donald Grant, Elloughton Grange, Timaru, his recently imported Clydesdale colt Dandy Tom (17,620). Dandy Tom is three years old and his sire is the Cawdor Cup winner Bonnie Buchlyvie (14,032) g sire Baron of Buchlyvie (11,263), g.g. sire Baron's Pride (9122). His dam Royal May (16.899) is by Royal Favorite (10,630) by Royal Gartby (9844). This mare is also the dam of the famous breeding horse Apukua (14,567), g. dam by Balmedie Prince Charming (10,027) by Prince Romeo (8144), g.g. dam by Gallant Poteath (8638) by Top Gallant (1850). g.g:g. dam by Belted Knight (1395) by Glenlie (363), g.g.g.g.. dam by Farmer (286) by Renfrewshire Jock (696). Mr Grant is to be congratulated on securing such a well-bred colt for his stud.

Press, 27 June 1930, Page 20 FARMERS ON TOUR.
NORTH ISLAND VISITORS IN THE SOUTH. The touring farmers from the North Island, who are at present in South Canterbury, were taken yesterday on a motor trip to Fairlie, by members of the Timaru A. and P. Association and the South Canterbury Farmers' Union. The route, which was via Kelland's Hill, to Pleasant Point, Totara Valley, Raincliff, and Middle Valley, to Fairlie, and thence back to Timaru, via Cave and Pareora Gorge, covered 93 miles, and included some of the finest agricultural and pastoral land in the district. On the journey out a stop was made at Mr E. Holland's, "Northdown," where a number of English Leicester sheep were inspected. The next stop was at Mr Andrew, Grant's Allandale station, where his Clydesdale horses were lined up for inspection. Mr Grant is well known throughout the Dominion as a Clydesdale breeder and the visitors asked him many questions. The visitors were also shown a large number of young horses bred by Mr Grant. The party then continued their journey to Fairlie for lunch. Mr P. B. Talbot (president of the South Canterbury Farmers' Union) apologised for the absence of Mr M. Maze (president of the Timaru A. and P. Association). Mr Talbot extended a cordial welcome to the visitors. Mr C. J. Talbot (chairman of the Mackenzie County Council) welcomed the visitors to Fairlie. Mr A. F. Campbell extended a welcome on behalf of the Fairlie branch of the Farmers' Union. The trip had been an eye opener to them and they would return to the north with a very different outlook on many South Island problems. The manner in which owners had placed stock and equipment at the disposal of the visitors was very gratifying, and the wonderful way in which the farmers had offered the use of their cars to the Railway Department was a good indication of the loyalty of the farmers to the Department. The party then proceeded to Mr A. S. Elworthy's. Holme station, via the Cave Hill and Pareora Gorge. After driving through the beautiful grounds of the homestead the party inspected some flocks of English Leicesters, Bomneys, and Southdowns, and a herd of Friesians. On entering Timaru from the south a brief visit was paid to the Timaru Gardens. This morning the visitors will inspect the flour mills in Timaru, and the Smithfleld Freezing Works.

aver, haver. A draught horse, now Scottish and norther dialect, old horse, nag.


Mr ANDREW GRANT of Willowbank, Temuka

Press, 10 September 1889, Page 6  DEATH OF MR ANDREW GRANT.
The unexpected death of Mr Andrew Grant, the well-known breeder and dealer, will cause a wide spread feeling of regret in the Temuka district and probably throughout Canterbury. Mr Grant has been ailing for about a week, but on Sunday last it was generally understood that his condition was improved. On Monday morning there was a change for the worse, and he expired at about 5 a.m. Mr Grant, although comparatively youngish age being only forty-eight—was looked upon as quite an old identity. He came to the colony at an early age, and was for some considerable time employed by Mr Tripp, of Orari Gorge station, who long after his leaving him continued to speak of his judgment, zeal, and ability in most flattering terms. As a successful dealer in sheep and cattle, but more particularly in the former, Mr Grant has long been known, and as a breeder he has gained numerous prizes. About two years ago he purchased a portion of the well-known Springfield estate at a figure that displayed his confidence in its resources, and latterly he has paid great attention to its systematic working. He continued to reside at Willow Bank, his Temuka homestead, and here his death took place. He was a large occupier at the Rangitara, and was interested in several runs in the Mackenzie Country. Except as a shareholder in various companies Mr Grant took little active interest in public affairs, but on the retirement of Messrs Talbot and Quinn from the Temuka Road Board, he was induced to become Chairman of that body. He also interested himself actively in the promotion of the local dairy factory, and was formerly the mainstay of the Temuka and Winchester Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Full of energy and enterprise, and with a keen business capacity, was yet so imbued with a kindly spirit that urged him ever to extend a helping hand to less fortunate or able men than himself that his loss will be felt through each circle of the community, and to the district especially will be irreparable. Mr Grant was a widower and leaves a young family.

Timaru Herald, 30 October 1899, Page 2 George McMillan died 26th Oct. 1899, aged 35, wife Beatrice. The midst of life we are in death. (a large monument with an angel pointing a finger skyward)
The funeral moved away from Mr Donald Grant's, Willowbank, to the Temuka cemetery. The pall-bearers included Messrs Simon Mackenzie, Alexander and Robert Bissett, B. Tripp, and James Scott, personal friends and long acquaintances of the deceased gentleman. In addition to the two mourning coaches (the first of which contained the four sisters and two brothers of deceased and the second relatives, four brothers in law walking next in order), there were between 40 and 50 other vehicles and a large number of horsemen in the procession. The burial services, at the house and at the grave, were conducted by the Rev. Messrs Dickson and Todd, of the Presbyterian Churches of Temuka and Geraldine respectively, and were very impressive. The coffin was of oak, silver-mounted, and was covered with most beautiful wreaths, three of which were forwarded from Christchurch. Among those who sent such beautiful tokens were his sisters and brothers, the Smithfield Meat Go , the N.M. and A. Co., Messrs W. Grant., S. Mackenzie, D. Grant, T. Buxton, J. Hay, Bissett Bros., P. Wareing, E and J. Brown, W J. A:ninall, Dr Hayes, J. O'Donohue, and many others. The concourse at the cemetery was very large, and the deepest sympathy was shown for Mrs McMillan and her little son, at the loss of loving husband and father, in such a sad and sudden manner.

Andrew Grant and Wm. were in partnership with Arthur Hope in Richmond Station in 1880 -84.

Oamaru Mail, 13 September 1889, Page 2
The Temuka Leader contains an obituary notice of Mr Andrew Grant, who was well known in the Oamaru district. The deceased had been for many years engaged in stock dealing, and at the time of his death owned considerable properties in South Canterbury. [Buried in Temuka. In memory of Andrew Grant who died at Willowbank, Temuka Sept. 9th 1889 aged 48 years and his wife Ellen nee Jones died June 23rd 1888 aged 38 years. Married 1873]

Children: 
1877 Grant Agnes Rebecca 	b. May 19th 	d. Aug. 6th 1956
1880 Grant William Thomas 
1882 Grant Jessie Grant 	b. Jan. 10th 	d. June 22nd 1953
1883 Grant Edith Jane 				d. Nov. 20 1883 aged 3 months
1885 Grant Alexander Peter 	b. Feb. 18th 	d. Jan. 7th 1899 
1886 Grant Lachlan John 			d. Oct. 21st 1963
     Grant Cordelia Helen 			d. Feb. 21st 1960

The Grant family has been continuing a family tradition for four generation. William Thomas Grant entered TBHS in 1896 followed by his brother Lachlan John Grant in 1901 and up to the year 2002 three sons, four grandsons and five great grandsons of Lachlan have graduated from the school, a direct four generational line from father to son. A son was Lachlan Ashwell Grant of Geraldine, an All Black (1937-38). They not only all attended TBHS but are still carrying on the family tradition by farming in the Temuka Orton-Rangitata area.

Timaru Herald, 29 August 1903, Page 2
SCOTT—GRANT. On Wednesday, 26th, at Temuka, James Scott, of the Downs, Waitohi, to Ellen Isabella, daughter of the late Andrew Grant, Willowbank.  [Ellen Isabella Scott died July 26th 1947 aged 67, buried Timaru]

Otago Witness 15 May 1890, Page 20
The late Mr Andrew Grant's properties were offered at auction at Timaru on Saturday— 440 acres near Temuka, 208 near Washdyke, and 1200 at Orari and Lilybank Station on the Godley. Except one lot of 60 acres at £22, all the freeholds were passed at £16 to £20. One homestead was passed at £27 10s, and a small odd paddock of 14 acres at £26. Of Lilybank run, of 70,000 acres, only 20,000 well grassed, rent £220, with 13,500 sheep, fetched £6500, Mr W. Pringle being the buyer.

Star 3 June 1892, Page 4
The Temuka Leader reports the following curious accident One day recently Mr John Grant, of Willowbank Farm, lost a splendid horse in a peculiar manner. Mr Grant was driving some sheep to Winchester, and was leading the horse, when a fly stung it and caused it to turn its head round to its Bide. In a most extraordinary way the teeth of the horse caught in the stirrup, and it plunged forward, with the result that it fell down and broke its neck. The horse was a very valuable one, and was Mr Grant's favourite hack.

Timaru Herald, 16 December 1913, Page 11
At Temuka. Shortly before midnight on Sunday, a fire destroyed the fourteen-roomed brick residence, known as Willowbank Homestead, the property of Mr W. F. Evans, and once the homestead of the well-known Grant family. Up till recently Mr D. B. Muir, saddler, of Temuka, leased the property. He then built for himself, and the big red house was leased by Mr Langridge, a retired farmer, who had some of his furniture stared in one room prior to setting up house. The origin of the fire is a mystery. Some workmen had been affecting repairs, and their paints and tools were in the house at the time of the fire, but these, along with Mr Langridge's furniture, were removed safely. The fire brigade arrived on the scene, but as the property is situated without the borough, and is not attached to the high-pressure water supply, nothing in the way of extinguishing the outbreak could be done. The flames therefore had their way and soon demolished the building. The fire was discovered by Mr James Palmer, who along with Mr G T. Walker and others affected the salvage of furniture and workmen's tools. The house was insured in the State Fire Insurance Office for £1250, and during the making of alterations carried a risk. The property, with the exception of a large wing built about fourteen years ago was old. It was originally insured for a much larger sum than that in the present cover.  

Sheep 

William Grant founded the Border Leicester stud in NZ in 1874 with the purchased of 30 ewes from Donald McLean, from North Otago. They were cleaned faced sheep. He ran the sheep at Elloughton Grange. In 1839 the Elloughton Grange Romney Marsh Stud was founded with 70 ewes purchased from Mr. E. Luxmore. 1900 the Corridale Stud was form with a Lincoln - Merino strain. 1910 William Grant died and Donald Grant inherited the property. The family also had a station, Balloocooroo, Gunedah, AUS run by Donald Grant's cousin, Willie T. Grant. It was sold after WWI. Sheep were entered in the Royal A & P Show, Sydney took the grand champion ribbon in 1930.

Press, 5 February 1892, Page 5
The agricultural reporter of the Weekly Press and Referee reported on September 17th last upon the Willowbank flock of Border and English Leicesters, then lambing down. His remarks as to quality have been fully borne out by results. Mr J. Grant, who has the management of the flock, as one of the executors of the late Mr A. Grant, has just sold a draft of twenty-three ram lambs to Messrs Seddon Bros., of Ashwick station, at the very satisfactory price of £3 per head. The lambs are remarkably well grown, well woolled, fine in head and ears, and even as to quality. 

North Otago Times, 14 June 1893, Page 1
THE ELDERSLIE FLOCK. The English Leicester flock now numbering 230 pure breeding ewes has only been in Mr Reid's possession a comparatively short time, it having been bought at the clearing sale of the late Mr A. Grant, Willowbank, Temuka, 1890.

Otago Witness  14 August 1901, Page 16
Messrs Little Bros., of Ngapara, says the Oamaru Mail, have resolved to include English Leicester breed of sheep in their flocks, and have just acquired the foundation of a stud. From Mr Edwin Kelland, one of the most successful of the Canterbury breeders, they have purchased seven stud ewes in lamb, including one that has been a successful competitor at the Christchurch and Timaru shows. They have also bought from Mr Donald Grant, Willowbank, Temuka, another noted breeder, 10 ewes, including a first prize taker at Christchurch and Timaru, and a rain that has taken a number of first prizes in Canterbury and a first champion at Oamaru at last year's show.


Timaru Show Nov. 1901.

Press, 2 February 1905, Page 6
Messrs Field and Royds have shipped to the North Island 93 Southdown rams from the flocks of Mr T. Brooks (Brookside), and W. J. Jenkins (Waddington) also 84 Shropshire rams from the flocks of Messrs W. Grant (Timaru), Reid (Oamaru), and S. Gibbs (Woodend). The sheep were nil in good order, and were sold at satisfactory prices. 

Taranaki Herald, 31 October 1907, Page 5
Timaru, October 30. The forty-second show of the Timaru A. and P. Association opened to-day. English and Border Leicesters were the principal sheep sections. The exhibits were declared to be as fine a lot as had ever been got together in New Zealand. All belonged to South Canterbury men. E. Kelland won both ram and ewe championships in English, W. Grant the ram championship and G. Douthwaite the ewe championship in Borders, both with imported sheep. In inbred half-breds, J. Stringfellow's nineteen-year flock beat C. H. Orbell's thirty-years in all classes. In horses the judging was confined to harness classes. The prizetaker were all local men. W. F. Hamilton, of Ashwick Station, was the largest prize-taker.

Star 30 October 1913, Page 8 Timaru Agricultural show.
The largest exhibitor in the whole of the show was Mr D. Grant, of Timaru, who captured a formidable array of first awards in all sections. Competition was, indeed, for a large part confined to the breeder on a big scale, and the small man did not figure so conspicuously in the catalogue as might perhaps be considered desirable. In the sheep sections there were good entries, so much so as to delay judging. A fine class of animal was shown, well worthy of the district and quite up to, if not better than, the standard of previous years. Leicesters and Romneys were very strong. The former class attracted strong competition from such well-known breeders as Mr D. Grant, of Winchester, Mr W. Grant, of Timaru, Mr E. Kelland and Mr J. Cameron. The class was a very even one and the judge had to look very closely to discriminate between a number of the animals shown. A particularly fine lot of animals were those of Mr E. Kelland, who secured premier honours in this class, while Mr D. Grant showed an excellent class of sheep. 


The Cyclopedia of New Zealand  1903

Timaru Herald, 26 March 1898, Page 4 THE RAM FAIR
The annual ram fair under the direction and management of the Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Association was held on the new grounds yesterday afternoon. The weather was favourable to the fixture, and the attendance of flockmasters, farmers and dealers was very good. The rams numbered in all 830. The rams were drafted into the pens on the south side of the grounds, where sheep are to be found at show time, and comfortably filled the accommodation provided. Among the breeders who sent in lots were
English Leicesters : — Messrs P. C. Threlkeld, Flaxton; D. McLaren, Storcroft; R. Kelland, Claremont; G. G. Russell, Otipua; F. C. Murray, Lincoln; W. Hay, Tepukera; W. Grant, Timaru ; E. Kelland, Timaru; G. McMillan, Temuka; Assets Realisation Board.
Romney Marsh— Land Company (Levels) and Mr A. L. Barker, Winchester
Border Leicesters — Messrs G. McMillan, Temuka; J. Reid, Elderslie; D. McLaren, Storcroft; J. McBeath, Totara; W. Grant, Timaru; N. M. Orbell and Co., Waimate; D. Grant, Temuka; Assets Realisation Board.
Shropshire Downs- Messrs T. Stephens. Washdyke; W. Grant, Timaru; R. Parry, Timaru.
Lincolns— Messrs T. Palmer, Temuka; Bruce Bros., St. Andrews; E. Richardson, Temuka; Assets Realisation Board.
A summary of the numbers showed — 311 English Leicester, 211 Border Leicesters, 110 Romney Marsh, 68 Lincolns, and 33 Shropshire Downs ; whilst in addition to these there were 60 Border Leicesters, 35 Lincolns, 7 Lincoln Leicesters and 5 in-bred halfbred from Unregistered flocks. The sales started well, but fell off towards the end and the last few pens were either passed at half a guinea or sold at what one auctioneer called boiling down prices. Owing to the dry season, and the low price of ewes, however, the sale may be considered fairly good. English Leicesters, Shropshires, and Romneys were most in favour. The catalogue was so arranged that the auctioneers took it in turns, and no time was lost by them. The sales started punctually at noon, and were brought to a close about 4 o'clock. Mr Gordon Wood, secretary to the association, lent valuable assistance in drafting the sheep and otherwise directing the arrangements, and Mr George Strachan (Ship Hotel) provided a capital luncheon and attended to the general license booth.

The Sydney Morning Herald 5 July 1928 page 8 British Breeds
There was keen demand for all stud lots showing quality at the sale of British breeds and Corriedales held by Dalgety and Company, Ltd., yesterday. The demand was particularly spirited for Border Leicesters. The top price was 75 guineas, paid by Mr. F. W. Hughes for a Border Leicester ewe, bred by Mr. Donald Grant at Timaru, New Zealand. The top price for a Border Leicester ram was 65 guineas, Mr. Hughes again being the purchaser. The ram was bred by Mr. T. S. Little, at Otago, New Zealand. The sales were as follow:
BORDER LEICESTER EWES
On account of Donald Grant. Elloughton Grange, Timaru. New Zealand.
Six stud: F. W. Hughes, one at 75gns. Other sales: One at 10gns, one at 10gns, one at 14gns, one at 12gns, one at 12gns. Average, £25/19/9.
Six stud lambs: One at 20gns, two at 15gns, one at 12½gns, three at 11gns. Average, £14/15/9.
Ninety-nine ewes: 15 at 10gm, 15 at 9½gns, 20 at 9gns, 10 at 8gns, 19 at 7½gns, 20 at 6gns. Average, £9/14/.
Nineteen ewes: At 7gns each. Average. £7/7/.
On account of A. P. Cameron, Timaru, New Zealand.
Thirty-three flock lambs: At 5gns each. Average, £5/5/.
On account of James Scott, Cannington, Cave, South Canterbury, New Zealand.
Thirty ewes: 20 at 7gns, five at 6½gns, five at 5½gns, Average, £7/3/0.
Twenty-six ewes; Five at 7gns, 31 at 6½gns. Average, £6/18/8.
Six ewes: At 6½gns each. Average, £6/16/6.
Fifteen lambs; At 5gnt each. Average, £6/5/.
BORDER LEICESTER RAMS.
On account of Donald Grant, Elloughton Grange,
Timaru, New Zealand. Five stud: F. W. Hughes, 1 at 45gns, Other sales: 1 at 30gns, 1 at 27Jgns, 1 at 25gns, 1 at 22gns. Average, £31/8/.
ROMNEY MARSH EWES.
On account of Donald Grant, Elloughton Grange, Timaru, New Zealand.
Forty flock: 25 at 4gns, 15 at 3½gns, 25 at 2gns. Average, £3/13/2.

Press, 9 April 1929, Page 5 FAIRLIE A. AND P. SHOW.
CUPS AND SPECIAL PRIZES. The following are the winners of the various cups and special prizes at the recent show:
The William Grant Memorial Cup for best ewe flock in the Mackenzie County : Mrs J. Robinson.
Mr R. Leitch's Cup for best Riding display. Opuha Riding.
The McLean Cup for most points in live stock: Andrew Grant.
The National Mortgage and Agency Co. Cup for most points in sheep: Donald Grant.
Mr J. Annis's Cup for most points in flock sheep: Donald Grant.
Messrs A. and J. Dunnett's Cup for pen of sheep most suitable for tussock country below Burke's Pass: J. F. K. Jamieson.
Mr J. P. Cameron's Cup for five ewes most suitable for stocking country above Burke's Pass: Mrs E. H. Grant.
Mrs Goodwin's Cup for three long wool freezer lambs: Andrew Grant.
Mr H. Brien's Cup for three long half or crossbred freezers, wethers or ewes: Donald Grant.
Mr R. A. Grant's Cup for best cow: R. Maddren.
The Alpine Dairy Co.'s Cup for butter-fat test: V. le Cren.
Mr A. Sustin's Cap for champion mare: Andrew Grant.
Mr A. Grant's Cup for brood mare: A. Leask.
Mr Edgar Jones's Cup for most points in saddle horses: J. M. Shaw.
Mr B. N. Murray's Cup for best lady's hunter: J. M. Shaw.
Mr W. Wreford's Cup for most points in grain, field roots, and wool: P. South.
Special prize for most points in. various classes:
N.Z. Refrigerating Co.'s one ton fertiliser for most points in fat sheep and lambs: Andrew Grant.
The N.Z. Loan and M.A. Co.'s "Special of a 5-gallon drum of McDougall's dips: D. Grant.
Twelve months, subscription to "Meat and Wool," 2nd prize two-tooth wethers, any breed or weight: Andrew Grant.
Messrs Dalgety and Co.'s special of £3 for most points in cattle: A. L. Dobson.
The C.F.C.A.'s trophy, value £5 5s, for most points in draught horses: Andrew Grant.
Mr J. Grigg's trophy, value £3 3s, for most points in light horses: Miss Edgar Jones.
Messrs J. Ballantyne and Co.'s trophy for most points in fruit grown in Mackenzie County: Haldon Station.
Most points in vegetable classes: T. Stamp. The Timaru Milling Co.'s special: Mrs T. Black.
Most points in miscellaneous classes (married women) Mrs G. Murdock 1. Mrs A. Hall 2. Single women: Miss S. Southby, 1, Miss B. Donaldson 2 (Mr L. M. Brice's trophy).
Mr Andrew Grant's specials in miscellaneous classes 226 to 241: Mrs Murdock 1, Mrs Hall 2, Mrs Watkinson 3 
Twelvemonths subscription to the "N.Z. Farmer," for most points in grain and roots grown in the Mackenzie Country: G. H. Patton.

Border Leicester Registered Flock of Donald Grant, Elloughton Grange, Timaru, N.Z (Flock No. 19 N.Z.F.B.)

Mr Donald GRANT b. 1874 Orari Gorge. d. 14 Nov. 1918, aged 44, from the Spanish flu, married Maggie Scott in 1917. Maggie died 25th Jan. 1979, aged 88 years.
Past president of the Temuka A & P Association

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District 1903 page 908
Grant, Donald, Sheepfarmer, “Willow-bank,” Temuka. Mr. Grant is the eldest son of the late Mr. Andrew Grant, an old settler In the district, by whom he was brought up to farming and sheep-breeding. The subject of this sketch was born at Orari Gorge in 1874. Mr. Grant has one of the most successful stud flocks In the Colony, consisting of 700 English Leicester ewes, and about 100 Border-Leicester ewes. He has been very successful as an exhibitor, having shown the champion ewe for three years in succession at Christchurch agricultural and pastoral shows, and also securing both championships at Timaru, Christchurch, and Wellington in 1897. The stud farm, which is about 400 acres in extent, is situated near the township. 

Press, 16 November 1918, Page 10
Mr Donald Grant, of "Oakleigh," Winchester, died at his home on Thursday. He attended the Christchurch Show last week, and returned home suffering from influenza. Pneumonia, supervened, and he gradually got worse and died. The deceased was the eldest son of the late Mr Andrew Grant, of Temuka, and was brought up to farming. He was born at Orari Gorge in 1874, and lived all his life in South Canterbury. His farm, "Oakleigh," between Winchester and Temuka, is one of the richest in the district. Mr Grant was a splendid judge of stock, and his services were much sought after as a judge at A. and P. Shows. He was among the most successful breeders of Leicester sheep in the Dominion, and took many prizes both here and in Australia. Mr Grant, as well as being interested in stock and agriculture, also interested himself in public affairs, and he was a valued member of several local bodies. He was chairman of the Temuka Road Board, a member of the South Canterbury Hospital Board, the Timaru High School Board, the Geraldine County Council the Upper Orari River Board, and the Patriotic War Relief Society. He was also on the committee of the Timaru and Temuka and Geraldine A. and P. Associations, and was a prominent member of the Masonic order. The late Mr Grant was a keen supporter and an active worker of the Temuka Caledonian Society and Temuka Bicycle and Athletic, Sports Club. He also actively assisted in the control of football in South Canterbury, as an official of both the Temuka Football Club and South Canterbury Rugby Union, the principal fixtures of which he seldom missed. At the time of his death, Mr Grant was vice-president of the Union. Mr Grant, who was well known for his generosity, was of a genial, though quiet, disposition, and enjoyed considerable popularity. About twelve months ago he married a daughter of Mrs J. K. Scott, of Winchester, and much sympathy is felt for his widow.

Timaru Herald, 20 August 1919, Page 8 LAND SALE AT TEMUKA.
HIGH PRICES REALISED. After the stock sale at Temuka yesterday a land sale was held in the Drill Hall when the "Springfield" estate, and some blocks in "Willowbank" were submitted to auction. There was a very large attendance, the Drill Hall being packed. Great interest was evinced in the sale, and competition was keen, the top prices of the sale being £88 per acre. The sale was conducted by the N.M and A. Company, and Messrs W.F. Evans and Co., as joint auctioneers, Mr T. R. McKay wielding the hammer. The land sold belonged to the estate of the late Donald Grant, and was sold by direction of his trustees (Mr Donald Grant, Timaru, and Mr Lachlan Grant, Rangitata). The Springfield estate which was offered first was described as rich dairying land situated within one mile of Temuka Borough. The terms were 10 per cent, on the day of the sale, 15 per cent at the end of the present month, and the balance, in five years at 5 per cent; Lot 8, comprising 20¼ acres, with a 4-roomed house thereon, was submitted first. Bidding started at £60, and quickly ran to £88 per acre at which figure it was knocked down to Mr Smith.
Lot. 9 comprising 14¾ acres, started at £60, and at £55 per acre fell to the bid of Mr J. Leonard.
Lot 10, consisting of 10 acres, started at £60 and at £60 per acre became the property of Mr D. Histen.
Lot 6, 10 acres, started at £60, and at £80 per acre, fell to the bid of Mr J. Austin. The purchaser of this block was given the option of taking block 5 (10 acres) and block 4 (10 acres) at the same price, and Mr Austin took all three at £80 per acre.
Lot 3. 10¼ acres, started at £50, and at £60 10s per acre, became the property of Mr J. Leonard.
Lot 2. 10 acres, started at £50, and at £60 was knocked down to Mr J. Leonard.
Lot 1, of 10 acres (a corner block) started at £50, and at £68, fell to Mr J. Leonard.
For the "Willowbank" sections, situated within half a mile of the Borough boundary, there was not such a keen demand.
Lot 67. 5¼ acres was sold at £70. per acre to Mr K. Blackmore.
Lot 68. 5 acres was passed in at £70.
Lot 69. 5 acres was passed in at £70.
Another section of 1¾ acres was passed in at £125. The last section was on the North Town Belt, and this was passed in at £300.


Shipmates Eastern Empire - another passenger list The Press

Lyttelton Times, 5 January 1865, Page 4 Arrived
Jan. 4, Eastern Empire, ship, 1763 tons, J.C. Ferguson, from London. Passenger - Mr. St. Leger Lousada, Mr G.S. Mitchell, surgeon-superintendent; Miss Everett, matron. Arrived after a long passage of 132 days. Mr Frederick Dugby, engineer on board, who had chare of one of Dr. Normanby's distilling apparatus, capable of distilling 500 gallons at a time. The cook's gallery is fitted with one of Armstrong's cooking ranges. The hospital is well ventilated. Three births and three deaths have occurred during the voyage.

There were eight shepherds on board from Ross-shire and five from Inverness-shire and four from Caithness. map

Elder 		Hugh 		30 Caithness Farm Labourer 
Elder 		Alexander 	24 Caithness Farm Labourer 
Grant 		Andrew 		23 Ross-shire Shepherd 
Grant 		William 	21 Ross-shire Shepherd
Jefcoate 	Thomas 		24 Northampton & wife Janet J. 25 a native of Langholm, Scotland settled in Timaru travelling with James Palmer
McLeod 		Alexander 	28 Ross-shire Shepherd and wife Mary 21
McKenzie	Donald		   Ross-shire Shepherd
McKenzie	John		   Ross-shire Shepherd	
Morrison 	Thomas 		38 Ross-shire Shepherd and wife Ann 28
McIver 		Kenneth 	20 Ross-shire Shepherd 
Pringle 	William 	28 Roxburgh Mason wife and 3 children took up Halden in 1877 -1898 & sold out and leased Lilybank in 1899. 
Ross 		Duncan 		25 Ross-shire Shepherd travelling with Thomas Morrison
Sinclair 	John 		51 Caithness Joiner wife & 8 children
Paterson 	Annie 		23 Aryshire married to James, 1 child James 

ELDER

Press, 26 November 1914, Page 5 MR HUGH ELDER.
The death occurred at Heaton street, Timaru, on Tuesday, of Mr Hugh Elder, a very old and respected resident of Canterbury. Mr Elder was born on August 15th", 1832. at Falkirk, Caithness, Scotland. At the age of 19 he joined the third regiment of Gordon Highlanders and served five years garrison duty at Edinburgh Castle and Fort George. He bought his discharge and returned to his native town. He left home for London on August l5th, 1863, in the s.s. Clan McLeod. A few days later he sailed for Lyttelton in the Eastern Empire, and after a voyage of 134 days arrived at Lyttelton on January 4th, 1864. The late William Grant, the late Andrew Grant, and the late William Pringle, who eventually settled in South Canterbury, were shipmates of his. On January 7th he secured a position as shepherd on St. Leonard's station, Nelson, remaining there three years under the managership of Mr. W. Nosworthy, sen. During the rush to the West Coast gold diggings he entered into partnership with his brother Peter (who died in October last year at Christchurch); as stock dealers, under the name of Elder Bros, for l4 years. Trading between Hokitika (chief market centre in Westland) and Christchurch they drew their supplies of stock from the country extending from Mendip Hills, Nelson, to Longbeach, Ashburton. The brothers leased Hagley Park for some years as a rendezvous for sheep and cattle. The routes travelled to and from the coast were by way of Arthur's Pass, Hurunui and Ohau Saddle. Great difficulty was experienced in those days in travelling, and they endured many hardships on account of having no good roads and frequent floods in the various rivers that had to be crossed. After dissolving partnership Mr Hugh Elder bought a freehold farm of 243 acres at Kaiapoi Island, remaining there 13 years, and taking a prominent part in ploughing matches. During that time he was a member of the school committee, Eyreton Town Board (chairman two years), one of the founders of the Ohoka and Eyreton Jockey Club, treasurer 10 years, and eventually elected a life member, member Masonic Lodge, Southern Cross, Kaiapoi. Mr Elder also took a prominent part in connexion with the East and West Coast Railway League (Midland railways). At that time Sir Harry Atkinson (Premier) was taking a leading part for the same object. Nearly all the members of the League are now dead. Latterly a presentation was made to Mr Elder for his services in connexion with the League at the Chamber of Commerce, Christchurch. The late Mr. W. Acton Adams, sen., was chairman of the League. Leaving the farm Mr Elder entered into business as a wool and skin broker, for 25 years trading throughout North Canterbury. He took a keen interest in Caledonian games, especially bagpipe music, Highland dancing, and running. For a number of years he officiated as judge of pipe music and dancing at various gatherings held in North Canterbury. He judged sheep and sheep dogs at agricultural shows throughout Canterbury. The late Mr Elder was very popular, of happy disposition, and noted for his keen business abilities. He leaves a widow, two sons, and three daughters.

PATERSON

Star 10 February 1919 Funeral
Mrs Annie Paterson, who died at her daughter residence, Timaru, took place on Friday at Addington Cemetery, was in her 79th year widow of Mr James Paterson, who was for many years foreman at the Canterbury Foundry. She was born in Ayshire, came to NZ in 1865 in the Eastern Empire, has 3 sons and 5 daughters, 28 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren. 

SINCLAIR

Timaru Herald, 28 March 1898, Page 2
We have had to record the death of another early settler, Mr John Sinclair, builder, at the age of 85. Mr Sinclair was a native of Olrig, Caithness, and before emigrating he was a prominent builder in the county. Wishing to benefit himself and his family he thought he could not do better than try his luck m New Zealand, of which a very glowing account was then being published m pamphlet form. Along with many others from the same parish and the Highlands of Scotland he left his native place in August, 1864, in the Eastern Empire, and after a long and tedious passage of 135 days, landed in Port Lyttelton on January 4th, 1865. He soon found employment with Mrs Deans, of Riccarton, for a time, and then with Mr John Anderson, engineer, Cashel street, where he worked for many years. Farming then being all the rage, he amongst the number, thought he could do no better than invest m rural lands. But tradesmen generally make bad farmers, and with a piece of poor land into the bargain he soon discovered that he had made a mistake, and would have done better to stick to the tools. He sold out from the Ashley district, and removed to Timaru, and resumed work at his trade with his son, Alexander Sinclair, builder. There were few men his - equal at the trade. Springing from a mechanical family, he was thoroughly master of his calling. No matter how intricate the work was it seldom mastered him; and he was never found scamping his work. He declared bad workmanship never lasted and was soon found out. Being a descendant of the ancient clan Sinclair, the deceased could relate many stirring stories of the part taken by the clan in the early history of Scotland, and in later events such as the Peninsular War and Waterloo. He was conscious to the last, and was only a week confined to his bed, and passed away painlessly. He leaves a widow of the same age as the Queen, and five sons and a daughter to mourn their loss. The sons were all brought up as carpenters. The eldest was for 30 years employed on the Cheviot Estate and is now harbourmaster at Port Robinson. Of the other sons two are in Timaru, one in the North Island, and one in Christchurch.

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]

page 1030
Pringle, William, Farmer, “Rosebrook,” Gleniti. Mr. Pringle was born at Newstead, Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scotland, on the 9th of January, 1836, and was educated at Melrose, where he was apprenticed to a stonemason. He also had experience in farming pursuits, and came to Lyttelton by the ship “Eastern Empire,” in 1864, the voyage lasting 136 days. After spending nine months in Christchurch, Mr. Pringle drove overland to Timaru with his wife and family, taking seven days on the journey. He took up a farm about three miles from Timaru, and afterwards entered into partnership with his brother, Alexander, in a property near Washdyke. In 1875, the partners acquired 100 acres, part of the Rosebrook estate. On the dissolution of the partnership, in 1877, he took up the Halden run in the Mackenzie country, a station shearing about 25,000 sheep. Having sold this property in 1889, in the following year Mr. Pringle leased the “Lilybank” station of 70,000 acres. In 1896 he sold 600 acres of the Gleniti property to the Government for a village settlement. Mr. Pringle has had little leisure to devote to public affairs, but was for a time a member of the Levels Road Board. His residence, which occupies a picturesque position at Gleniti, is built from his own design, of stone and brick with Kauri wood-work. Mr. Pringle was married in 1857, at Dunfermline, and has six children. His son James is in charge of the station properties in the Mackenzie country; one of his daughters married Mr. Bruce Gillies, son of the late Mr. Justice Gillies, of Auckland, another the late Mr. John Page, and a third Mr. James Preston, of “Langlands,” Kyeburn, Central Otago. 

pg 472
Mehrtens, Diedrich, Farmer, “Wai-kioru,” Rangiora. Mr. Mehrtens was born in Germany in 1846, and arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Eastern Empire” in 1865. He has been a settler in Rangiora since 1873. Mr. Mehrtene was married, in 1881, to a daughter of Mr. W. Wilke, of East Oxford, and has five sons and three daughters surviving.

pg 536
Mr. William Midgley was born in Bradford, Yorkshire, England, in 1862, and when four years of age he arrived with his parents at Lyttelton by the ship “Eastern Empire.” He was brought up to the drapery trade in Christchurch with the firm of Messrs Ballantyne and Co., to whom he was apprenticed for five years. Removing to Ashburton he was employed by Messrs Friedlander Bros, for eighteen months, and subsequently entered the employment of Messrs C. Hardy and Co., Rakaia, with whom he continued for seventeen years, and had the practical management of the business for a portion of that time....

pg 621
Paton, William, Farmer, “Viewfield,” Pigeon Bay. Mr. Paton came to New Zealand with his parents in 1865, in the ship “Eastern Empire. He was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, and was at Kaituna during the earlier years of his residence in the Colony. Later on he followed bush work, and was a partner in the firm of Pettigrew and Co., sawmillers, at Pigeon Bay. His farm of “Viewfield” at Pigeon Bay comprises 1023 acres, and is chiefly devoted to grazing and grass...

pg761
Hight, Samuel, Farmer, Waddington. Mr. Hight, who is one of the early settlers of the district, was born in Northamptonshire, England, in 1844. He was brought up to farming, and, in 1864, arrived at Lyttelton by the ship “Eastern Empire.” Mr. Hight went to Yaldhurst, and a few months later to Springfield, where he remained with his brothers for about two years. He was then engaged for about nine months on the railway, between Christchurch and Rolleston. He afterwards lived at Mr. Twigger's old homestead, on the Lincoln Road, for about two years, and then resided for a twelvemonth at Halswell. In 1873 Mr. Hight took up 100 acres of Government land at Waddington...

pg 790
Magson, Robert, Welburn Farm, South Rakaia. Mr. Magson was born at Welburn, near York, in England, and was brought up to farming. He came to New Zealand in 1864 in the ship “Eastern Empire,” and helped to make the West Coast and Lochinvar Roads. For six months he worked on the West Coast goldfields, where, instead of making money, he lost £100. He then returned to Canterbury, and stayed for a time at “Craigieburn” with his brother, who set him up again. After that he entered the service of Mr. C. Withell, with whom he remained for four years. He took up the first land at Dunsandel, and purchased his present farm of 518 acres in 1873, when the land was all in its native state.

South Canterbury NZGenWeb