Southerndown and The Croft, Timaru : Links with the past.

croft - a small area of cultivable land attached to a dwelling; a small farm.
crofter - one who works. Hamish - Gaelic for James.
 James W. (Hamish) Grant bequeathed to the city of Timaru - The Croft and The Aigantighe.


The Croft property is located inside the red outline that looks like a car.

Timaru Herald, 7 April 1913, Page 8
To the Editor, Timaru Herald." Sir, It is considerable regret that I have noticed from time to time the alterations of old established names of both streets and properties in Timaru. Southerndown is now added to the list. Fully forty years ago this property was bought, planted, and named by its original owner, the late Mr Edward P Sealy, and it has ranked among the oldest and most beautiful homes in and about this town. To me it seems both sad and unnecessary, that newcomers should rename it to please their fancy and thus stamp out all old associations old friend and an and OLD RESIDENT April 4th. 1913.  

Timaru Herald, 4 April 1913, Page 1
NOTICE. From Date the Property known as Southerndown will be called ARDGOUR, A. J. McLEAN.  

In 1859 "Highfield" was out in the country and by 1904 with the city extending the area became urban. The Highfield golf links was developed in 1905. Highfield now a suburb in Timaru was named after the farm of the Rev. George Foster. Parson Foster belonged to that band of clergy who in the first days had to eke out precarious stipends by farming. In 1875 his continuing involvement in farming became a source of dissatisfaction for the congregation and he was asked to resign first at Easter and he not comply then ask again in July. The parish meeting minutes was recorded by the Timaru Herald.  He moved to the Kakahu area and continued farming.   

It took 29 years for the Highfield farm to sell and be subdivided.

In 1904 A.C. Thompson advertised the area for sale as part of the Westfield Estate. Clara St. and Maud St. are named after Rev. Foster's daughter's were renamed. Clara becoming Craigie then in 1949 named Guinness St. and Maud became Seddon St. The property extended all the way to the Upper Washdyke Rd now Pages Rd. 

Timaru Herald, 22 April 1904, Page 2 LAND SALE.
The sale of the "Westfield" township (late Highfield farm), on account of Mr A. C. Thompson, took place at the homestead on the place yesterday afternoon. Mr W. Lawson (N.Z. Loan Company) was the auctioneer, there were about 120 to 150 people present. The sale was considered a very good one, all the small building allotments fronting on Wai-iti road being disposed of accept two, which have a wet hollow in them, and the majority of the small sections, behind the frontages were also disposed of, while the prices were satisfactory to the vendor. Lot 46 was stated to be reserved for a Sunday School and bowling green and the vendor reserved lots 58, 59 and 60 for his own residence.

Timaru Herald, 7 April 1904, Page 3 Levels County Council. HIGHFIELD TOWNSHIP
Mr J. H. Moore, on behalf of Mr A. C. Thompson, applied for the Council's sanction to roads laid out in Highfield township, he undertaking to form and metal the roads to the satisfaction of the Council. The plan had been-passed by the Lands Department.—The chairman said the regulation is formation 33ft wide and 15yds of metal per chain; the Council does not make footpaths.—Mr Moore expressed himself satisfied with the terms.

In the 1870s - 1912 E.P. Sealy and wife had a farm "Southerndown" between Wai-iti Rd and June St., where Park Lane is located today. Nile St. was part of the E.P. Sealy estate. His brother Henry John Sealy (1838-1922 ) married in 1873. Henry married Emily B. Askin and they settled at "Craighead." Craighead was the adjoining property to Southerdown. map Highfield map  Wai-iti was the estate of Henry and Edward Sealy, two miles from Timaru pre 1900. Spring Rd was on the Sealy estate.  The lower part of Wai-iti Rd lead to the cart path to the plains. The Alexander Grant family lived at "Aigantighe" on the lower part of Wai-iti Rd. On a 1882 map Gleniti Rd was where Wai-iti Rd is today and ran through the village of Wai-iti. Glen-iti, a farming community, a combination of a Scottish name and a Maori name, little valley, was three miles west of Timaru. Wai-iti (Little Water) is now Glen-iti.

SEALY, Edward Percy (23 Aug. 1839 - 30 Oct. 1903)

Born in England and educated at Clifton College, provincial surveyor, photographer and a keen naturalist, came to Lyttelton in the Clontarf in 1859 with his brother Henry J. Sealy. After some experience on sheep stations he entered the Provincial Survey Department in Hawkes Bay in 1862 and three years later went to Canterbury as a surveyor on the Provincial staff. Edward and Henry were in partnership as surveyors in early South Canterbury, initially contracted to survey the township of Geraldine in 1863.  He purchased his photographic outfit in 1865 and took lessons in Christchurch.  In March 1869 he was associated with Julius von Haast explorer, geologist and Canterbury Museum director, on the latter's last expedition in the Mount Cook region. On the abolition of the provinces he took up farming in South Canterbury. On retiring he farmed at Southern Downs, near Timaru and lived in a two story wood framed house. Southerndown is now part of Highfield, north of Wai-iti Rd, the present day Park Lane area. Married in 1873. To perpetuate his memory - Mt Sealy (2557 metres, 8389 feet) and a street in Timaru, named after him. He was one of the founders and continuous directors of the Farmers' Cooperative Association. He was an enthusiastic alpinist, a fine naturalist and an excellent photographer. Frances Sarah Sealy nee Sanderson b. Sept. 21st 1855 - died Jan. 4th 1912. Children of Frances Sarah and Edward Percy SEALY :
1875 Sealy Violet Julia
1877 Sealy Frances Helen Mary
1878 Sealy Edward Percy Verity
1881 Sealy Gladys Verity
1884 Sealy Ruth Verity
1888 Sealy Edith Isabel Greville

Timaru Herald, 2 November 1903, Page 1 FUNERAL NOTICE.
FRIENDS of the late E.P. Sealy are respectfully informed that his Funeral will leave his late residence, Southdown, Gleniti Road, THIS DAY, the 2nd November, at 3 p.m., for the Timaru Cemetery.

This is the last will and testament of I, Edward Percy Sealy, bequeath to my children in equal shares my curios also my photographic albums and miscellaneous photographs whether mounted or unmounted also my paintings and drawings but excluding all pictures now hanging in my dwelling house. I bequeath to my friend Henry W. Harper Archdeacon of Timaru a volume of lithographed plates entitled "Sketches of Bristol in old days" and whereas I release my brother Henry John Sealy of all liability whatsoever and have given him all my interest in any sections in Waimate. I now confirm the same release and gift if my confirmation be required and I bequeath to my wife Frances Sarah Sealy all the residue of my personal property excepting my shares in Companies... 9th day of December 1902.  Edward Percy Verity Sealy, of Timaru, clerk in the National Bank knew Edward Percy Sealy. 

Timaru Herald, 28 January 1913, Page 5 SEALY STREET.
The Sealy Street Committee, recommended as follows: —That plans and specifications for the formation of Sealy Street be prepared. That all ornamental trees on the street be allowed to remain provided that they will not interfere with the formation of the street and traffic thereon. That a sufficient length of 4-inch water pipe now in Wai-iti Street be taken up and relaid in Sealy Street.

Timaru Herald, 9 December 1919, Page 5 TIMARU PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETY. LECTURE BY Mr. H. TRIPP
The monthly meeting of the Timaru Photographic Society was held on Friday night last in the society's rooms, when there was large attendence in spite of counter attractions. A lecture was delivered by Mr H. Tripp on The Early Days of Photography,'' The lecturer dealt at the onset with the formation of lenses and showed in a very striking manner the rapid advance that had been made in recent years. Where an exposure is taken now in a fraction of a second, it was no-uncommon thing 40 years ago to have to expose for 30 seconds, and he himself had exposed a plate in sunshine for four minutes. He also described in detail the process of wet plate photography, explaining how the amateur photographer had to sensitise his own plates, expose and develop before the plate was dry, and then sensitise his own paper for printing. Continuing the lecturer gave a most interesting description of how the late Mr Sealy, of Timaru, toured the Mount Cook country with a portable dark room attached to his buggy, and displayed several negatives taken by Mr Sealy of the glaciers and other views of Mount Cook scenery. There were closely examined by members of the Society, and showed really remarkable results in detail and clarity. Mr Sealy, it was stated, was really the pioneer of photography in connection with Mount Cook. The lecturer exhibited a large album of prints, taken from negatives, the work of Mr. Sealy, and these were greatly admired. At the conclusion of his lecture Mr Tripp was cordially thanked by the members, and was made an honorary member of the Society.

Sealy was first to photograph New Zealand’s glaciers, he made his first major alpine expedition in April 1866 to the Ashburton glaciers at the head of the Ashburton River, and his second a month later to the Rangitata glaciers. In 1867 he headed to the Mount Cook region where he explored the Mueller and Hooker glaciers, and in March 1869 accompanied explorer, geologist and Canterbury Museum director Julius von Haast to investigate Aoraki and the Tasman Glacier.  He carried an old-fashioned full-plate camera, which with plates and accessories probably weighed 601bs.

Temuka Leader 10 November 1903 Page 3
He was the first to explore the Tasman and Hooker glaciers, and was assisted in the work by a photographic apparatus. He was also an enthusiastic naturalist, And had a fine collection of bird’s eggs (including the extinct NZ quail), moths, and butterflies, etc.

Star 30 March 1869 Page 2
Dr Haast returned to Christchurch last night, from a trip of several weeks into the Central Alps, during which he revisited some of the principal localities round Mount Cook, first explored by him in 1862. The object of the journey of this year was to collect specimens in all branches of natural history, a work which, the public will be glad to learn, he has accomplished satisfactorily. He was accompanied by Mr Edward Sealey, an amateur photographer of considerable eminence, who, under great difficulties and privations, obtained some magnificent views of the grand scenery of our Southern Alps. We understand that Mr Sealy intends to present, when it is completed, a full set of all his photographic views taken in the province.

Timaru Herald, 23 October 1913, Page 5
The magnificent collection of butterflies and birds' eggs, lent by Miss Sealy and Mr E. P. V. Sealy, continue to be one of the biggest attractions at the Exhibition. This is only to be expected as nothing so fine has oven been seen in Timaru before. Many big museums have nothing to equal this collection. It may be mentioned that one of the moths has the extraordinary wing-spread of ten inches. There are a number of wonderful examples of protective mimicry and colouring among the butterflies. Prominent among these are various members of the family which are gorgeously coloured on the upper wing surface, but which are curiously marked in the under surface with, two large round spots. When pursued by a predatory bird, this extraordinary moth will fly to a branch and cling upside down, when it has the appearance of an owl, and this puts the pursuing bird to flight. Another has the under wing surface mottled like a dead leaf which is a very effective protection against its many enemies. There is a particularly fine example of the stick insect en view, and altogether the collection is full of interest.

Lyttelton Times 5 February 1859 Page 4
February 4, ship Clontarf, 1091 tons, John Allan, from Plymouth, for Wellington and Napier. Passengers for Wellington— Mr, and Mrs. Edward Storey and 2 children, Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Storey and 2 children, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Wrigley and child Joseph, Miss Wright, Messrs. Haft, King and Alfred Backhouse, and Bin the steerage. For Napier, Mrs. Mary Charlton and 2 children, Messrs. Henry and Edward Sealey and J. Riddle.

Edward Percy Verity Sealy was a bank clerk in Timaru in Stone's 1903 Directory. He is listed as a driver for the French Red Cross during WW1. 

Auckland Star, 6 June 1916, Page 7
LONDON, April 20. Mr. E. P. V. Sealy, of the National Bank of New Zealand, Timaru, has joined the British Ambulance Committee's division of the French Red Cross in company with Mr. H. W. H. Sams, of Balmoral station, and Mr. H. B. Cogan, of Christchurch. They expect to leave for the Verdun or Vosges sectors within the next few days.

Timaru Herald, 19 June 1917, Page 11 FRENCH DECORATIONS FOR SOUTH CANTERBURY MEN.
H. B. Cogan (Christchurch), H. W. H. Sams (Balmoral) and E. P. V. Sealy (Timaru) who have been engaged in ambulance transports with the French Army, have received the French Croix de Guerre, at the same time with two of their officers. Lieutenant Deville (French) and Lieutenant Milne (English). Their duty was that of removing wounded men from the firing line. The general in Army Order states that the section recommended for distinction was attached to his division at Verdun in February, 1916, after having been with the army in Alsace. The Order states:—"This section under the conduct of Lieutenant Raymond Deville, with Lieutenant John Milne as assistant in command, has given to the service of the wounded all the bravery and all the courage of a select personnel. It has always been its pride to serve the most exposed 'Posts of Evacuation' and never has it ceased to show under the most intense bombardments, by night as well as by day, the most disregard of self and the most precious activity:" Each of the New Zealanders receives a certificate marked with the words "Croix de Guerre" and setting out the army order. Moreover the motor cars used by the section bear the words ''Croix de Guerre."

Press, 4 July 1917, Page 8 The Ninth Ballot
The drawing of the ninth ballot under the Military Service Act took place at Wellington last week.
Sealy, Edward Percy Verity, accountant, National Bank, Timaru.

 Edward Percy Verity Sealy, age 63 b. 1879 died 15 August 1942, of Wanganui, bank manager.

H. Le Cren (1829 - 1895)

Star 21 May 1895, Page 2
Mr Henry John Le Cren, one of the earliest settlers in Canterbury, died yesterday afternoon at his residence Craighead, Timaru, aged sixty-eight. Mr Le Cren had been ailing for some time, but his end came suddenly and unexpectedly. Mr Le Cren will be well remembered by some of the oldest settlers of Lyttelton and Christchurch, and by the " Pilgrims " as having arrived in the colony in advance of them to represent the owners of the "first, four ships." A native of London, he learned the routine and the habits of business in the office of Messrs Frubling, Goschen and Co., where he was fellow-clerk with the ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer. He came out to the colony in the Barbara Gordon, to act as agent for the first ships despatched to Port Cooper, and then, with Mr Longdon, carried on in Lyttelton for many years a general merchant's business. Mr Le Cren afterwards established a branch business in Timaru, erecting the first store in the township, and himself remaining in Lyttelton. The late Captain Cain managed the Timaru store. The business was sold to Messrs Miles and Co. about 1867, and Mr Le Cren went to London. While there he joined Mr G. G. Russell, in the firm of Russell and Le Cren as colonial merchants, who were represented in the colony by Messrs Russell, Ritchie and Co. Twelve or thirteen years ago, both the Home and colonial businesses were sold to the National Mortgage and Agency Company, and Mr Le Cren came out to New Zealand. He erected a large residence at Craighead, the grounds and gardens of which are one of the show places of Timaru, and, except for an occasional trip Home, resided there until his death. The deceased gentleman was always most highly respected as an upright business man. He leaves three sons and four daughters, all of whom are grown up. [Married Margaret Fisher Hunt in 1853. Born in 1829. Died in London]


Lysaght St. was first named Wigley St named after Annie Caroline Wigley nee Lysaght. She lived at 5 Park Lane and when her property was subdivided the street was formed.

Wright (1845- 1920)

Later Augustus William Wright, a farmer, lived at "Craighead." Born 1845, London. Married 1876 to Amy Jane Perry. He died 15th Sept. 1920, aged 75. Children :
1877 Wright Amy Viola
1878 Wright Cecil Harry
1880 Wright Vivian Augustus
1881 Wright Rita Maud
1883 Wright Vida May
1886 Wright Harold Edwin
1888 Wright Lorna Clare
1889 Wright Percy Clyde
1892 Wright Herbert Stewart
1895 Wright Noeline Ethel

Press, 17 September 1920, Page 6 Major A. W. WRIGHT
Timaru, September 16. An old identity, Major Augustus William Wright, passed away on Wednesday morning. He arrived in Lyttelton in 1871 and became a cadet on Mr E. J. Russell's Otipua estate, near Timaru. Later he managed the Sherwood and Hakataramea estates, and was subsequently farming at Claremont and Winchester. He retired 16 years ago, and had lived since in Timaru. He was an enthusiastic volunteer. For many years he commanded the C.Y.C., and retired with the rank of major. He was an early member of the A. and P. Association (president for one year), the South Canterbury Amateur Athletic Club, South Canterbury Hunt, and a life member of the Acclimatisation Society (he was the first to liberate trout in the Waitaki). He was a good sportsman, with a genial disposition, and made many friends. He leaves two sons and four daughters.

McLean
In 1913 McLean re-named Southerndown to "Ardgour."

Timaru Herald, 28 May 1915, Page 6 Death
McLEAN.—On May 27th, 1915, at her residence, "Ardgour," Sealy St., Timaru, Anna Jessie, daughter of late Donald McLean, formerly ''Strathconan," Fairlie. By request no flowers.

Timaru Herald, 17 June 1916, Page 9
The Rev. John Craig received a letter from Miss Kate J. McLean, "Ardgour," Sealy Street, Timaru, stating that, she and her sister were sorry that they would be unable to attend the semi-jubilee celebrations in connection with Fairlie Presbyterian Church. The Misses McLean have always had a deep interest in Fairlie Church.

Timaru Herald, 13 December 1919, Page 13
Mrs Percy Barker, Kakahu, is the guest of Miss McLean, Ardgour, Sealy Street.

McLaren
This farm was in the Kingsdown area

Timaru Herald, 23 July 1901, Page 1 FOR SALE.
HIGHFIELD FARM, Otipua, containing about 280 Acres of good Down Land, capable of growing all kinds of Grain and Root Crops, There is a good 6-roomed Cottage and 4-stalled Stable, and Chaff House on the Farm. It is well Fenced and subdivided into suitable sized Paddocks. The Freeholder, Mr G. G. Russell, having sold the Otipua Home Farm, is now desirous of selling the balance of the Estate, and is prepared to sell Highfield at a reasonable price, and on easy terms of payment. For particulars apply to D. McLAREN, Storcroft, Otipua. Otipua is 5 miles SW from Timaru.

Timaru Herald, 2 January 1904, Page 3
A very pleasant social gathering was held at Mr Simon McKenzie's house, Kingsdown, on Thursday night, when: about twenty of the leading ratepayers of Otipua riding met there, by invitation of Mr and Mrs McKenzie, to say farewell to Mr and Mrs Duncan McLaren, who are leaving Timaru this afternoon en route for the Old Country. Mr Geo. Talbot, as the oldest settler on Kingsdown spoke. Mr Talbot said they had met to say farewell to Mr. and Mrs McLaren and he went on to eulogise the public services of Mr McLaren as a County Councillor and member of the Hospital Board. The riding ratepayers had been very fortunate in having such an able and energetic man to represent them on the County Council; he had always and Consistently and carefully looked after their interests, and the ratepayers had not been slow to recognise the fact. Messrs Brookland, Anstey, Hanson, Davidson, and many others, also bore testimony to the valuable public services and personal worth. Mr and Mrs McLaren leave by the first express to-day for Ashburton, and on Monday, from Lyttelton for Sydney, to catch the s.s. Omrah for Naples, and they will spend a few weeks on the Continent before proceeding to Scotland.

E.G. Kerr
Edward George Kerr (1876 -1942) Wife Louisa (1880 - 1954)

Press, 12 September 1934, Page 2
Mrs E. G. Kerr ("Ardgour," Sealy street) will leave on Saturday to attend the ladies' golf championship meeting at Auckland and executive meetings of the Ladies' Golf Union. She will be the guest of Mrs W. A. Gunn (Remuera).  

Press 5 April 1937 Page 2
KERR—UNWIN Two well-known South Canterbury families were united on Saturday afternoon, when Dorothy Margaret (Peggy), only daughter of Dr. W. H. Unwin (Church street, Timaru), and the late Mrs Unwin, was married to Edward George, eldest son of Mr and Mrs E. G. Kerr (“Ardgour, Sealy street, Timaru). Archdeacon H. W. Monaghan officiated, and Mr A. W. v Vine played the wedding music. Mr John M. Kerr attended his brother as best man, and Mr Peter Unwin, brother of the bride, was groomsman. Mr Richard Kerr, brother of the bridegroom, and Mr Ernest Kerr, his cousin, were ushers. A reception was held at the home of the, bride’s father, where a marquee had been erected on the tennis lawn. Tall sprays of autumn leaves and large bowls of hydrangeas decorated the marquee, and the tables were bright with small crystal bowls of blue and pink flowers. The hostesses were Mrs Desmond Unwin and Mrs Basil Unwin, sisters-in-law, and Mrs E. G. Kerr, Mrs Desmond Unwin wore a frock of navy sand crepe patterned in a white floral design, and a blue coat with a silver fox fur collar and a small blue velvet hat finished with an eye veil, and a blue and white quill. Mrs Basil Unwin’s frock was of navy blue wool georgette finished with large white buttons and a double bib cravat of blue georgette and white pique, the pique being repeated on the cuffs. Her semi-bowler hat was bf felt to match. Both matrons wore shoulder sprays of red begonias. Dr. Unwin and Mr and Mrs Desmond Unwin gave a dance in the Caroline Bay Hall on Saturday evening.

The Croft homestead

Located at 12 Park Lane, Highfield, Timaru aka Lorna Hamish Grant Eventide Home aka Croft Rest Home. There is a Grant Wing.
Legal description : Lot 2 DP 11024 Pt Lot 4 DP 19762
area 2.3006 ha. [5.68 acres] Historic Place Category 2. Compare B/W photo taken in 1983 and this one taken Aug. 2015 by M.T.
Orbell St. in Timaru is named after Robert Leslie ORBELL, a land and commissioning agent. He had property in this vicinity and subdivided it. He lived at Park Lane at "The Croft", later the home of James William GRANT. Mr. Grant bequeathed The Croft to the Presbyterian Social Services Association to become the Lorna and Hamish Grant Eventide Home, generally known as just The Croft. J.W. Grant was aka Hamish Grant.
June St. was formed when Robert Leslie Orbell subdivided part of The Croft property. June was the name of his eldest daughter.

Progress, 1 July 1910, Page 317 RESIDENCE IN TIMARU.
This has been erected by the architect, Basil B. Hooper, A.R.I.B.A., for Mr. Robert Leslie Orbell. The house is built of brick, with the upper part white rough-cast. The roof is covered with Marseilles tiles, and the gables hung with green shingles. The most prominent feature is the hall, which is about 16 feet wide, and goes the full depth of the building. A large, open fireplace is also a noticeable feature, also a wide and massive red pine staircase. The servants' quarters are in a wing to themselves, with a separate staircase. The house has been designed to obtain the full effect of the sunshine, and also of the magnificent views. Building contractor, Mr. Tooth, of Timaru. Contract Price, £2500.

1910, The Croft, Timaru
Photo taken Nov. 2008 by M.T.. In August 2015 the Croft is awaiting earthquake strengthening…it is completely out of bounds. There does not seem to be any leadlight windows around the outside. No old garden seats…all new furniture. The gum tree was looking magnificent. The trees up the drive are natives. The rhodies are scattered in the dell… look in Spring / October.

 
1st Nov. 2015. MT. The rhodies at the Croft are not all that good. The photo is one of the only large clump I could see.

Croft garden, Nov. 2015. MT. 

I loved the wee seat by the gum tree. Kiwis say 'wee' a lot.
 

Significant trees on the Timaru District Council Plan

12 Park Lane - (the Croft) Quercus robur (Common Oak)
12 Park Lane - (the Croft) Eucalyptus viminalis (Manna Gum)
12 Park Lane - (the Croft) Quercus palustris (Pin Oak)
7 Park Lane - (the Finch House) Quercus ruba (4 Red Oaks)
1 Wrights Ave - (Craighead School House) Sequoiadendron giganteum (big tree -Wellingtonian
1 Wrights Ave - (Craighead School House) Sequoiadendron sempervirens (Redwood)

 
People helping people in South Canterbury. The Croft at sunset 9 August 2015.  How tall is that Eucalyptus?

Timaru Herald 24 Nov. 1980 The Prime Minister, was in the city to officially open the Croft.
    Without the determined efforts of the people of South Canterbury, who have given time and talents to the project since 1968, the Croft would not have got beyond the planning stage.  The Prime Minister, Mr Muldoon, officially opened the Lorna and Hamish Grant Eventide Home on Saturday. He said "Nothing a government does can provide the human, personal element that is imparted by their various churches in their work for the elderly. The Croft is typical of the energetic efforts of the association which ensures that the elderly have available to them a high standard of residential care. There could be no better memorial to the generosity of the late Lorna and Hamish Grant than the Croft. The Croft has obviously been designed with an objective of a balance between independence, privacy and social contact with other people. It is a credit to everyone who has had an input into its design and construction. It is often that the success of a society can be gauged by the way it looks after it's elderly and infirm. We in New Zealand have placed considerable emphasis over the years on health and welfare services for the elderly, as well as providing, through national superannuation. There are now more than 280,000 people over 65 years of age in New Zealand which represents about nine per cent of the total population. By 1996, this over 65 year old group will increase to 10 per cent. More significantly between now and 1996, the numbers on the 75 to 79 old group will increase by 20,000 to 70,000, up 37 per cent, and over 80 age group will have increased by 22,000 to 69,000, and increase of 46 per cent. The older people get the more health care and attention they tend to require, Mr Muldoon said." "Even through greater efforts are being made towards community care of our elderly folk the ageing nature of the population will maintain the need for such accommodation such as that provided by the Croft. That 94 per cent of our elderly residents never become residents of institutional accommodations is testimony to the desire of the elderly to remain as active and independent members of the community. The extent their health and mobility allows, they can, in homes like the Croft, be both." Mr Muldoon said he hoped it would prove the place of happiness and contentment to its residents that the benefactors had in mind, and that the realisation of that, bring joy to those who work at the Croft and all who have in any way contributed to its establishment.
    The MP for Timaru, Sir Basil Arthur, spoke at the official opening. The mayor, Mr S.R. Bennett, said, the foresight of Lorna and Hamish Grant had come to fruition in the form of the Croft. He also congratulated the PSSA on the completion of a magnificent home for the elderly. Other speakers were: Mr G.A. Hornsey, a convenor of the S.C. PSSA; the Very Rev. G.D. Falloon, the original convener of the Croft Project Committee; the Right Rev. T.M. Corkill, moderator of the Presbyterian Church of New Zealand; and Mr B.D. Jackson, the convener of the home committee. 

Can you say the days of the week backwards?

In 2013 there were at least 14 rest homes in South Canterbury (651 beds).
In 2015 in South Canterbury there were about 560 people in aged residential care with six of the facilities in Timaru.
In 2020 The Croft Retirement Village had a range of one and two bedroom villas and apartments run by the Presbyterian Support South Canterbury.

Strathallan Lifecare 						82 beds
Talbot Park, run by the South Canterbury District Health Board 	64 beds closed 30 April 2017
(TP 23 psychogeriatric & 41 hospital level beds, to close in 18 months from Feb. 2016, c.110 staff employed)
Margaret Wilson Complex (PSSC)					70 beds 27 Seddon Street, Timaru
The Croft Complex (Rest Home, Hospital, Dementia Care) (PSSC)	60 beds
Radius Elloughton Gardens 					59 beds
Glenwood Home 							41 beds
Highfield Rest Home 						44 beds
The Terrace Rest Home 		(closed 13 Nov. 2015)		18 beds
Wallingford Rest Home, Temuka(PSSC)				32 beds
McKenzie Healthcare, Geraldine 					57 beds 
Geraldine Retirement Village 					20 beds
Waihi Lodge Care Centre, community owned non-profit		19 beds provides Meals on Wheels in Geraldine  $9/meal in 2018.
Lister Home, Waimate						62 beds
Moreh opened July 1979 	Fairlie's old cottage/maternity hosp.	18 beds provides Meals on Wheels in Fairlie. photo

What is needed in these facilities? Happy friendly faces, adequate staffing, always updated, open honest communication, wonderful care, attentive, comfort care, a planned goodbye and adequate supplies and equipment.

30 April 2017 Talbot Park hospital level care closed. The 25 bed dementia wing stayed open. Elloughton Gardens has 30 new hospital-level now opened.


 Talbot Park was set in over three hectares of landscaped grounds. The Wellingtonia tree was removed June 2012.

"Rest home level of care is, and will continue to be, an important service for elderly people in our community."

Rev. George Foster - (1825 -1898) asked to resign
The Rev. George Foster St Mary's (1859 - 1865) lived at Highfield, the name of his farm. In 1916 Mr James Craigie, M.P. remembered the Highfield district in 1867, when it was a wilderness of tussocks, and the only house between Stafford Street and Otipua Road was that of "Parson"' Foster. It was no longer a wilderness, but a thriving residential quarter of the town. 

Lyttelton Times, 31 December 1859, Page 4
The affairs of Timaru prosper. The town at the time of our last letters was in a state of bustle and animation after the arrival of three vessels in port, with goods and passengers. Among the latter was the Rev. Mr. Foster who it is understood is about to undertake the pastoral charge of the district. The Rev. gentleman preached his first sermon on Sunday week last to a full congregation in a house given up for the occasion; his discourse was eloquent and calculated to impress hearers who had been many of them long unused to regular church attendance. It is gratifying to learn that the church so long contemplated is now on the eve of being contracted for, and that its erection will soon be commenced. The general character of the weather in the district had been variable, and a considerable supply of rain had fallen, doing a great deal of good to every description of cereal crop, now making rapid advances towards perfection. The post-office department at Timaru has been entrusted to Mr. John Beswick at a convenient site for the purpose. Notwithstanding the flooded state of the rivers, the postal communication overland has been maintained with singular regularity Mr. Baines still keeps up his character for energy and punctuality. Gardens round Timaru are growing into notice; one is to be mentioned exhibiting an excellent specimen of the horticulturist's labours; it belongs to Mr. J. S. Browning, and is a perfect model of neatness, combined with, luxuriance of fruit, flower, and vegetable productions. Situated where it is, it forms an oasis in the wilderness, and captivates the attention of every passerby.

FOSTER, George born c1825 Lancaster, Lancashire

25 Sep 1859 arrived Auckland. The TORNADO sailed from Liverpool on the 10 June, 1859. FOSTER Rev Mr, Mrs , 2 Children
09 Jan 1860-19 Jul 1875 cure Timaru district, diocese Christchurch
1875 farmer residing ‘Highfield’, later residing Hilton
died 24 Sep 1898 Maori Hill, Timaru - buried Geraldine cemetery
son of John FOSTER, a hosier
married 18 Oct 1849 St. Peter, Burnley parish Whalley, to Alice Mary SUDDARD born 1827 Canada, lived Kakahu, Hilton, Geraldine died 02 Nov 1897 at Hilton buried Geraldine cemetery
28 Sep. 1898 obituary

Charges of pastoral neglect - asked to resign
Timaru Herald
, 30 June 1875, Page 3 Rev. Foster was asked to leave.
A parish meeting in connection with St Mary's Church, Timaru, was held on June 3rd. At the appointed time the meeting was commenced in the church by Mr Ormsby, the minister's churchwarden, being voted to the chair. The Chairman said that he had taken upon himself to engage the Foresters' Hall for the meeting thinking it would be a more suitable place to carry on the discussion in than the church. The meeting endorsed the opinion of the chairman by adjourning to that hall. There were present at the meeting fifty-four parishioners, including all the officers of the church. The Chairman, opened the proceedings at the Foresters' Hall.
    The Chairman then called on Mr P. Russell to explain the matter for which the meeting had been called, as he, in conjunction with Mr T. C. Reid, had been appointed by the parish to arrange the terms upon which the Rev G. Foster should resign the incumbency. Mr Russell said that it would be recollected that at the last parish meeting a motion was passed, appointing a deputation to wait on Mr Foster, and make arrangements with him with a view to settling the terms upon which he should resign the incumbency at Timaru. Conformably therewith Mr Ormsby, Mr Reid, and he, saw Mr Mr Foster in the church on the following Sunday, and ascertained from him that it would be convenient to hold the arbitration on the Saturday next ensuing. He and Mr Reid, who were appointed arbitrators for the parish, were m attendance at the vestry on the day named, and met Mr Foster there with his two arbitrators, Dr Hammond and the Rev L. L. Brown. He and Mr Reid had previously seen Mr Kimbell, of the Three Springs Station, to request him to act as referee, one being necessary in case of any dispute. Mr Kimbell consented to act, and Mr Foster and his arbitrators offered no objection to the appointment. As soon as the parties concerned in the arbitration met, Mr Russell suggested that it would be advisable, before proceeding to business, to get a deed of arbitration drawn up in the proper form, in order that Mr Foster should bind himself to abide by the decision of the arbitrators. Mr Foster objected, saying that such a document was unnecessary between friends. Mr Russell urged that the matter was of a strictly business nature, and Mr Foster at length agreed to the proposal, and an adjournment was then made to Mr Ormsby s office. A desultory conversation took place there on several points, one of which was upon a question of Dr (Hammond, as to what authority he and Mr Reid were acting upon. He thought he satisfied Dr Hammond on that point, and it was then arranged that Mr Ormsby should draft the deed. The parties agreed to adjourn for an hour and re-assemble to sign the deed. At the specified time he, Mr Reid, and Mr Kimbell met in Mr Ormsby's office, read the deed which had been drafted, and came to the conclusion that it was satisfactory. They waited for about an hour, when Mr Foster, with his usual punctuality, turned up, unaccompanied by his arbitrators. He intimated then that he came to state that he had re-considered the matter, and thought that what he had now to propose would facilitate business. He then handed in letter, which was read by the speaker as follows "To the Gentleman representing the Parish of Timaru "We, the undersigned, have been requested by the Rev. G. Foster, Incumbent of St. Mary's Church, Timaru, to slate to you the terms on which alone he will resign the living of the said Church, viz. First: That a cash payment of £600 (six hundred pounds) be made to the Rev. G. Foster on resigning the said incumbency of St. Mary's or secondly, the said Rev. G. Foster shall receive £200 (two hundred pounds) per annum for the term of five years or, thirdly, £150 (one hundred and fifty pounds) per annum for the term of seven years on his reigning the incumbency of St. Mary's, but without prejudice to any claim or claims that the said Rev. G. Foster may have upon the said Church up to the first day of July, 1875. In the event of either of the two lest proposals being accepted, the same to be secured by two substantial securities. "We are, &c, (Signed) Laurence L. Brown. (Signed) Samuel Hammond. "Timaru, May 22, 1875." ...
    They were to consider upon what terms they were to get rid of the clergymen. He did not wish to speak in a disrespectful manner of the clergy but to place the subject in the light Mr Foster placed it in before the congregation. He wanted to know how much money he was to get from his parishioners in order to retire, very much as an Italian organ player would ask for shilling for playing and two shillings to go away into the next street. The resolution left it entirely to the parish to give Mr Foster whatever was right. The resolution said that the funds of the church should not be sent to the Diocesan Treasurer after the 30th of June, but the parish would be at liberty, after that, to pay the clergyman whatever they thought proper. It would be for them to consider, after the 30th of June, what notice they should give Mr Foster, or what amount of money. Mr LeCren seconded the motion, and said that he thought that when Mr Foster found the congregation were so determined in the matter he would resign.          
    Mr Woollcombe in seconding the motion said that he would take the present opportunity to say a few words on church matters. He was one of the oldest residents here, and had always taken a great interest in the church. He was one of the first who exerted himself to get a clergyman for, this district. When Mr Foster was appointed as clergyman, Timaru was so small that it was decided his parish should extend over, the whole district, even from the Rangitata to the Waitangi. He (Mr Woollcombe) made arrangements with the Bishop that Mr Foster should go to every place in the district where he could collect sufficient people to enable him to hold service. When Mr Foster arrived in Timaru, he showed him the various places where he would be required to hold service. He very much regretted that Mr Foster did not then do what he thought a clergyman should do. He was the only settled clergyman in the district, and therefore there were no ministers of other denominations to attract people from his church. After a time, the Bishop made an alteration in the arrangements, by which Mr Foster was to preach three Sundays out of the month in Timaru, and the other Sunday in the outlying districts. Another alteration of his duties was afterwards made which confined his attention solely to the town of Timaru. He had always felt dissatisfied with the manner in which Mr Foster carried out his duties. After being church-warden for two or three years he refused to act as such any longer, until Mr Foster performed his duties in the manner he considered a clergyman should perform them. He made this determination known to the Bishop, who always resided at his place when at Timaru, and he had never accepted office in the Church since.
    His action had had the effect of setting many of his friends against him, and if he had had the opportunity before coming to the meeting, he would have advised him to send in his resignation, and leave it to the congregation to fix the sum that was to be given to him upon doing so. He believed that if he were to resign, the parish would treat him liberally. Mr Reid said that Mr Foster had disappointed them over and over again. The motion was then put and carried, 31 voting for it and two against it. A vote of thanks to the Chairman terminated the meeting.

The early minute books of St. Mary's begin in 1875 with the coming of Arch. Harper. What happened when the first incumbent was in charge, we only know by hearsay and tradition. wrote Arch. H.W. Monaghan in 1945

Timaru Herald, 3 November 1897, Page 2 Death
Foster On Nov. 2nd, at Hilton, Alice Mary, wife of the Rev. George Foster aged 70 years

Timaru Herald, 24 September 1898, Page 2 Death
Foster— On the 24th inst., at the residence of his son-in-law, Mr William Pearse, Maori Hill, Timaru, the Rev. George Foster, of Fernside, Hilton, and late of Timaru.

What causes the widowhood effect? Dying of a broken heart. The effect is strongest during the first three months after a spouse's death, when they had a 66 per cent increased chance of dying. Men were at greater risk of dying soon after a spouse than women.
a. Grief-related mechanism. Grief weakens the immune system. There is also anticipatory grief when you realise there is no cure.
b. As one's spouse gets sicker, the surviving spouse stops taking care of their own health.
c. Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy - broken heart syndrome, spasm of the coronary arteries.
d. The health of one person is related to the health of another.
Widowhood effect is real, so is caregiver syndrome. A study reported that 40 percent of Alzheimer’s caregivers die from stress-related disorders before their patient dies.

Study of seven couples widowhood.

Husband died first 71% of the time.
If husband died first wife died average 8 years later.
If wife died first husband died average 2 years later.

Rev. G. Foster d. 1898 aged 73
Mrs Foster d. 1897 aged 70
Wife d. first followed by her husband 11 months later
EP Sealy d. 1903 aged 64
Mrs Sealy d. 1912 aged 57
Husband d. first followed by wife 9 yrs later
AW Wright d. 1920 aged 75
Amy Jane Wright d. 1927 aged 73
Husband d. first followed by wife 7 yrs later
R. Leslie Orbell d. 1939 aged 61
Mrs Ellie Orbell d. 1936 aged 61
Wife died first followed by husband 3 yrs later
EG Kerr d. 1942 aged 66
Mrs Kerr d. 1954 aged 65
Husband d. first followed by wife 12 yrs later
JW Grant d. 1969 aged 91
Mrs Lorna Grant d. 1972 aged 87
Husband d. first followed by wife 3 yrs later
Mr. Alex. Grant d. 1920 aged 88
Mrs Helen Grant d. 1955 aged 101
Husband d. first. Mrs Grant died 35 yrs later 

Sun, 21 May 1915, Page 4  The Social Round
The English rule as to the wearing of mourning hatbands extends to all the men of the bereaved family during the period of mourning. Only widowers wear black clothes. The custom of wearing a black band on the sleeve applies only to those who wear military uniforms. In England people in mourning, often go into general society. A widow, for instance, remains secluded for three months, but after that time the can visit relatives and intimate friends. Indeed, after three months she may begin gradually to go into society, but she may not go to dances until after the first year after widowhood. While in mourning for a parent, a son, or a daughter, the period of seclusion is six weeks; one may go to dances after six months. For a brother or sister the period of seclusion is three weeks.

Timaru Herald, 28 September 1898, Page 4 THE LATE REV. GEORGE FOSTER.
By the death of the Rev. George Foster, which occurred on the 24th inst., one of the most familiar and respected figures in the Timaru life of the old days has passed away. Many messages and letters of inquiry and condolence from all parts of South Canterbury have reached his sorrowing family since his illness, testifying that "Parson Foster," as the people always affectionately called him, was still remembered and loved by many of those to whom he had ministered m the time gone by. The reverend gentleman was educated at St. Bee's College, Cumberland, and ordained by the Bishop of Ripon. He was curate in Hepworth, Kirkburton, Yorkshire, for five years, and afterwards curate of the Parish Church in Bolton-le-Moors. A handsome presentation and testimonial testified to the regret of his parishioners, when he left in 1859 with his wife and two little boys in the ship Tornado for pioneer church work in New Zealand. An idea of how different an undertaking this was then from what it is in these days of return tickets and saloon steamers, may be given when it is stated that the ship, of somewhat ill omen sounding name, took five months to reach these shores. The passage proved a stormy and dangerous one, the vessel narrowly escaping shipwreck, and it was much disabled on at length reaching Auckland. From Auckland Mr and Mrs Foster went by boat to Wellington, and then came on to Timaru, to which Mr Foster had been appointed vicar, the passengers landing in surf boats. In this district the land was then being taken up all round in large runs, and the parochial work involved a good deal of roughing it— long rides across rough country and un bridged rivers, and often at the end of many miles ride, a saddle for a pillow, and the bare floor of some lonely station hut for a bed. In Timaru itself there gentleman preached his first sermon standing on a wool bale on the open sea beach. He formed the parish of St. Mary's, and built the first church, which was a wooden one, and before his retirement in 1875 a stone church was erected. He also formed the first Sunday school in South Canterbury. Mr Foster has been living of late years on his farm at Hilton. He lost his wife eleven months ago, and had been in failing health for more than a year, and passed away when on a visit to his daughter in Timaru, aged 73 years. He was buried on Monday beside his wife m the Geraldine cemetery, and leaves four sons, five daughters, and nine grandchildren to mourn his loss.

Star 26 September 1898, Page 4
Timaru, Sept. 24. The death is announced of the Rev George Foster, the first resident Anglican minister in Timaru. At first he was the curate and then the incumbent of St Mary's from 1860 to the middle of 1875. Since the latter date he has been engaged in farming.

Lyttelton Times, 17 November 1860, Page 4 MARRIED.
October 25, at Albury Station, near Timaru, by the Rev. George Foster, William Henry Simms, Esq., of Hamburg, to Frances, youngest daughter of the late Rev. George Dunnage.

Taranaki Herald, 6 April 1861, Page 2
On the 18th February, at Arowenua, Timaru, Canterbury, by the Rev. Geo. Foster, Frederic James, only son of F. A. Carrington, Esq., C. E., of Taranaki, to Charlotte, second daughter of David Smith, Esq., Upper Hutt, Wellington.

Wellington Independent, 24 July 1873, Page 2 MARRIAGE.
Sealy — Askin — On July 17th, at St. St. Mary's Church, Timaru, by the Rev Geo. Foster, Henry John, eldest son of the late T. H. Sealy, Esq. of Clifton, Bristol, to Emma Booker, eldest daughter of the late Walter Askin, Esq, of Ballyboy, county Meath.

Timaru Herald, 4 March 1919, Page 6 GOLDEN WEDDING.
WADE— BAMBRIDGE —On February 28th, 1869, at St. Mary's Church, Timaru, by the late Rev. George Foster, George Wellen Wade to Jane Bambridge.  

Timaru Herald, 4 January 1899, Page 2
Peter— Sealy — On December 21st, at St. Mary's, Timaru, by the Rev. P. J. Cocks, C. J. Peter, son of the late W. S. Peter, of Anama, to Violet, eldest daughter of E. P. Sealy, Esq. , of Southerndown, Timaru.

Timaru Herald, 13 May 1885, Page 1 For Sale
HIGHFIELD FARM, containing about 400 Acres, subdivided into nine Paddocks, well watered. All in English Grass. Small Cob House. For particulars apply to NATIONAL MORTGAGE AND AGENCY CO. WOOLLCOMBE AND CLULEE, MACLEAN & STEWART

R. Leslie ORBELL (1867 -1939) - late Deputy Register of Deeds for Canterbury, retired in 1903, and moved to Timaru where he became a land agent. His father was F.A. Orbell.

Ellie Annie Rusack and Robert Leslie Orbell (1868 -1939 aged 61). Ellie b. 1873 d. 1936 aged 61. Both buried in the Timaru Cemetery with native stones as headstones.  R.L Orbell, was a land agent in Timaru. Ellie was Jessy Rhodes' second cousin. R. L. Orbell brokered the deal to sell the "Blue Cliffs" South Paddocks in 1908.

Otago Witness 8 August 1906, Page 63 Table Talk
Miss Ellie Ulrich left last week for Timaru, where she will be the guest of Mrs R. Rhodes at "Bluecliffs."

Otago Witness, 3 July 1907, Page 51 Wedding The day of bitterly cold.
ORBELL— ULRICH.— On Wednesday, June 19, 1907, at All Saints' Church, Dunedin by the Most Rev. the Primate, assisted by the Rev. H. H. Bedford. R. Leslie Orbell, Timaru, to Ellie, second, daughter of the late Professor Ulrich, Otago University.
1908 Orbell June Ulrich  b. 12th May and died 25th Feb. 1986.
1909 Orbell Nancy Spence

Otago Witness 3 July 1907 Page 51 [Robert Leslie Orbell m. Ellie Annie Ruoack ULRICH in 1907]
ORBELL— ULRICH.— On Wednesday, June 19 1907 at All Saints' Church, Dunedin by the Most Rev. the Primate, assisted by the Rev. H. H. Bedford, R. Leslie Orbell, Timaru, to Ellie, second, daughter of the late Professor Ulrich, Otago University. The day of bitterly cold.

Otago Daily Times 15 February 1909, Page 4
BIRTH. Orbell -The wife of R. Leslie Orbell, The Croft, Timaru - a daughter.

Evening Post, 21 August 1931, Page 12 TRIPP—ORBELL
A picturesque wedding took place in the Mary's Church, Timaru, on Tuesday afternoon, when Nancy Spence, younger daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. L. Orbell, "The Croft," Timaru, was married to John Owen Howard, older son of the Rev. H.H. Tripp and Mrs. Tripp, of "Dicheat Rectory," Bath, Somerset (states the Christchurch "Times"). Archdeacon H. W. Monaghan conducted the wedding ceremony. The bridal music was played by Mr. A.W.V. Vine. Tall arum lilies and japonica were effectively lively arranged on the alter, and against a background of soft greenery stood masses of golden gorse and broom. The bride, who was escorted by her father, wore a beautiful frock of' ivory satin, with a yoke of Honiton lace, mounted on ivory silk net, which mulched the long net sleeves. The simple close-fitting gown, which filled the figure to the waistline, fell in graceful folds to form a short train. Her beautiful veil of Brussels lace, mounted on filmy silk not, formed a headdress and a train. The veil was drawn into a little cap shaped to fit the head by a spray of orange blossom. A long rope of pearls was her only ornament. She carried a sheaf of arum lilies. The bride was followed by little train-bearer, Miss Geraldine Ulrich (cousin of the bride), whose dainty frock of ivory silk net exactly matched the bride's train. The frock was made with a tiny frilled cape and the long skirt fell almost to the ground in a flounced effect. She wore a bandeau of cherry coloured satin studded with velvet flowers of the same shade. A picturesque retinue of bridesmaids followed in unusual frocks of cafe au lait. Miss June Orbell (sister of the bride), Miss Peggy Williams (cousin of the bridegroom), Miss Janet Studholme (Waimate), Miss Mary Rolleston, Miss Elena Helmore, and Miss Cecil Elworthy were all dressed alike in frocks of net in the uncommon shade of pale coffee colour over crepe de chine of the same shade. The plain, bodices with long sleeves were finished by Cavalier capes, which fell to the waistline at the back and tied in a flat bow in front, and were edged by narrow net frilling. The long skirts were made with an unusual effect of deep flounces. Bandeaux of cherry satin, narrowed in the front, were covered with tiny velvet flowers of the same gay shade. Each maid carried sprays of red japonica. The best man was Mr. Basil Shaw, and Mr. J. Acland was groomsman, while the ushers' duties were carried out by Messrs. J. Hargreaves, C. Acland, R. Harper, and G. Hunter-Weston. After the ceremony a reception was held at "The Croft," where Mr. and Mrs. Orbell received their guests in the hall, which was artistically arranged with autumn tinted leaves, statice, and evergreens. Mrs. Orbell wore a becoming frock of burgundy crepe de chine patterned in a bright floral design. Her attractive hat was made of very fine brown straw, and she carried a bouquet of freesias. Later, when Mr. and Mrs. Tripp left for the north, the latter was wearing a smart frock of honey dew and blue patterned ring velvet, made with a flared skirt and finished by a soft collar and cuffs of honey coloured georgette. Over this she wore a cloth coat of the same shade made with a deep collar and cuffs of squirrel fur. Her honey-coloured hat of fine straw was very small and close-fitting.  The guests invited included Miss Ulrich (Dunedin), Dr. and Mrs F.F.A. Ulrich, an aunt of the bride. Mr and Mrs G.H.R. Ulrich, aunt of the bride. Mr and Mrs P.D.H. Ulrich, Tarakohe. Miss Kathleen Ulrich (Dunedin), Miss Gillian Ulrich. Miss Ella Orbell (CHCH), Mrs F. Stopford, Napier, Mr and Mrs B. E. H. Tripp, Mr and Mrs J. Mowbray Tripp, Master David Tripp, Master Mowbray Tripp, Mr and Mrs Howard Tripp, Miss Rosa Tripp, Lieut, and Mrs V. F. Boyle, Mr and Mrs O. H. Tripp (Wellington), Miss Tripp, Mr and Mrs Charles Tripp (Southland), Mr and Mrs Arthur Hope, Mrs M. Ormsby, Mr Dennis Ormsby, Dr. and Mrs Hugh Acland Christchurch), Mr and Mrs Henry Acland (Christchurch), Messrs J. and C. Acland, the Rev. and Mrs E. Blakiston, Mr and Mrs Arthur Blakiston, Miss Rona Blakiston, Mrs Hayshe Eliot, Mr and Mrs Norman Hope, Mr and Mrs Maurice Harper, Miss Betty Harper, Miss Peggy Williams, Mrs R. H. Rhodes, Dr. and Mrs P. R Woodhouse, Misses Paulette and Carne Woodhouse, Dr. and Mrs Ronald Orbell (Oamaru), Mr ana Mrs H. S. Orbell (Oamaru), Mr and Mrs W H Orbell, Miss Diana Orbell, Mr Derrick Orbell, Mr and Mrs C.L. Orbell, Miss Sylvia Orbell, Mrs Alan Orbell and the Misses Loraine and Peggy Orbell, Mr and Mrs Norman Orbell, Mr and Mrs George Pinckney (Glenaray), the Misses Pinckney (Glenaray), Mr Harold Pinckney (Glenaray),...

Press 4 December 1939 Page 3 MR R. L. ORBELL
TIMARU, December 3. Mr Robert Leslie Orbell, who died at his home in Timaru last week, was well known in South Canterbury business and sporting circles. Born at Puke Tapu, Palmerston in 1867. Mr Orbell was a son of Mr Frank Alfred Orbell, a sheepfarmer, who later moved to Johnsonville and the Wairarapa. He was educated privately and entered the Civil Service as a cadet in the Wellington Stamp Department, later being transferred to New Plymouth and Auckland in the Lands and Deeds Department and to Christchurch as Deputy-Registrar of Deeds. Resigning from the service, Mr Orbell began business in Timaru as a land and estate agent and sharebroker in 1901, the business being formed into a limited liability company in 1929. Mr Orbell was also a part owner of the Mount Possession run. He was a member of the South Canterbury Hunt, the Canterbury and South Canterbury Jockey Clubs, the Timaru, Waimate, Temuka, and Geraldine Agricultural and Pastoral Associations: for about 10 years before the Great War and during that period, he was secretary of the Timaru Association. As a young man Mr Orbell was well known in football, yachting, and golfing circles. Mr Orbell, who was a life member of the Christchurch Golf Club, took a prominent part in obtaining the land for the club’s links at Shirley, and in laying it out. On one occasion he won the Christchurch championship. He was honorary secretary of the Timaru Golf Club for a year and was president in 1906-07, being subsequently made a life member in recognition of his services. A challenge cup for a men’s and women’s match, among the Timaru, Christchurch, and Otago Clubs was presented by Mr Orbell in November, 1905. The trophy was last won by the Christchurch Club. The South Canterbury Court, which was placed first in the New Zealand and South Seas Exhibition in Christchurch, was organised and managed by Mr Orbell, who, during the Great War, was treasurer and one of the organisers of the first South Canterbury carnival to raise funds for the Red Cross. Mr Orbell was also a member of the board of the Craighead Diocesan School. In 1907 he married Miss Ellie Annie Ulrich, a daughter of the late Professor Ulrich, of the University of Otago. He is survived by two daughters, Miss June Orbell and Mrs J. O. H. Tripp (Glen Cary).

Manawatu Times 10 June 1918 Page 1
ORBELL. At her residence, 292 Church St., on June 8th, Margaret Lucy, relict of the late Frank Alfred Orbell.

Public associations

Taranaki Herald, 1 August 1900, Page 2
The latest Gazette, contains the appointment of Mr R. Leslie Orbell as the Deputy Registrar for Canterbury.

Press, 2 July 1903, Page 5
Mr Leslie Orbell. Deputy Registrar of Deeds in Christchurch, has been allowed to retire on compensation at his own request, and will probably take up sheep-farming. He leaves for South Canterbury by to-day s express. The Deeds Office will in future be entirely amalgamated with the Land Transfer office, under the control of Mr G. G. Bridge, District Land Registrar, and for the convenience of solicitors and the general public the books of the Deeds office have been removed to the Land Transfer office.

Taranaki Herald, 8 July 1903, Page 7
Mr Leslie Orbell, the Deputy Registrar of Deeds at Christchurch, has been allowed to retire on compensation, and will probably take up sheep farming.  

Timaru Herald, 2 September 1903, Page 2
Mr R. Leslie Orbell, who announces in this issue that he is starting business in this town, has been for a number of years in the Lands and Deeds Offices in Auckland, Taranaki, Wellington, and Christchurch, and for the last five years he was Deputy Registrar for Canterbury. Mr Orbell is well-known in golfing circles, and held the championship for Christchurch in 1901. We wish Mr Orbell success in his business, for which he must be well qualified.

Evening Post, 1 October 1904, Page 14
A Gazette issued last Wednesday notifies that the following applications for letters patent have been accepted by the New Zealand Registrar of Patents : —
Robert Leslie Orbell, Timaru, an improved turnip puller.
W. G. Coker, Timaru, an improved solution for removing the wool from sheepskins. 

Timaru Herald, 24 March 1905, Page 3 THE NEW GOLF LINKS.
OFFICIAL OPENING. A beautiful sunny afternoon favoured the formal opening of the Timaru Golf Club's new links at Highfield yesterday, and about a hundred members and friends, about half, of whom Were ladies, assembled at first, teeing post at half-past three, to hear the president, Mr W. R. McLaren, declare the links open, and see him make the opening drive. The links are laid out in picturesque country, which looked its best under the clear sunshine, and the gathering resembled a garden party more than anything else. The weather was too warm for golfing, but perfect for the occasion. The party were grouped about the first tee to be photographed, and Mr Ferrier and some ladies with cameras obtained a number of snapshots of the party streaming down to the spot, that should be even more interesting than the group.
    Mr R.C. Tennent, the treasurer, then gave, some information regarding the finances of the club. He mentioned that they had £320 available, of which they proposed to spend £250 on part of the golf house; £40 must be paid in reduction of the mortgage, and that would leave £30 for further improvements. He remarked that the club was very greatly indebted to their secretary, Mr R. Leslie Orbell, for it was mainly to his exertions they were indebted for the possession as freeholders of their admirable golf links! (Applause.) The president then teed a ball and made the official opening drive — a very poor one it happened, to be, but he mended it in a second stroke by a fine long drive. He then declared the links open for play.

Timaru Herald, 24 March 1905, Page 3
The annual show of the Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Association takes place on Wednesday and Thursday, 28th and 29th inst. Entries of sheep, cattle and pigs close on Saturday, October 17th, and all other entries on Tuesday, October 20th with Mr R. Leslie Orbell, the secretary, from whom schedules can be obtained.

Otago Witness, 16 October 1907, Page 72 Table Talk
Mrs Leslie Orbell has returned to her home in Timaru. Miss Rosie Ulrich accompanied her sister, Mrs Leslie Orbell, to Timaru on a visit.
Miss Beatrice Farquhar left last week for Temuka, where she is visiting Mrs J. Hay for a few weeks.
Mrs White (Timaru) is at present on a visit to her son, Mr Wilfred White, at the Bank of New South Wales.

Otago Witness, 4 August 1909, Page 55
Whilst riding Messenger in the Hunt Club Steeplechase at Timaru last week Mr Leslie Orbell broke his collarbone through, his mount coming down at one of the fences.

Timaru Herald, 27 June 1919, Page 2
THE WAR MEMORIAL. A NEW PROPOSAL. To the Editor of the "Timaru Herald." Sir, I think the suggestion that a Town Hall be erected as a War Memorial can be greatly improved upon, also the "Post" Office grounds as a site. A Town Hall is an appropriate place for public meetings, rowdy or otherwise. Surely the proposed War Memorial should not be associated with anything of the kind, but be held sacred to the memory of those we are all so proud of. ... Such a building, erected on the main road, north find south say the triangle opposite the Hydro Hotel, a prominent and bright position—might meet with the approval of the Returned Soldiers' Association and the War Memorial Committee and if so I am sure the public will be pleased to find the necessary money. The land and premises could be vested in special trustee; and not controlled by anything political or municipal. As regards the Returned Soldiers' Club room, a suitable place where they can foregather and fight their battles over again surely is their due;—-I am, etc.,... R. LESLIE O'RBELL. Timaru June 26.

Evening Post, 28 November 1911, Page 7
During this week the following New Zealanders have registered their names at the High Commissioner's Office: Mr. and Mrs. R. Leslie Orbell (Timaru).

Evening Post, 31 January 1912, Page 6
The Orient liner Orsova, due at Sydney to-morrow, has the following passengers for New Zealand ports:—
For Wellington: Mrs. H. Blundell, Miss Blundell, Messrs. W. and G Blundell Mr F. Bornett, Mr Alan Strang, Mr Alward, Mr E. H. Charlesworth, Mr and Mrs A. O. Beeson, Miss A. Hallam, the Rev. T. D. Stuart Ogden, Messrs T. C. and G.P. Jones, Mr Loughman, Miss Luckle. Mr and Mrs J. Kingham and Miss Kingham.
For Auckland : Messrs Crowther and Miss Crowther, Mr J. H. Edmondson, Mrs F. W. Fulletton and child, Miss K. Jephson, Miss G. Harrison Jones, Miss Sinclair, Mr H. W. Price, Dr. and Mrs C. Robertson and family.
For Lyttelton: Mr and Mrs Russell Jaggaid, Miss H. Tresise. Mr C. R. Boyson is going to, Napier, Mrs Allan Holmes and Miss Holmes' are going to Dunedin, Mr M. Fitzgerald to the Bluff, Mr and Mrs R. Leslie Orbell to Port Chalmers, and Mr K. J. Burton to Taranaki. It is probable that most of these will come across in the Ulimaroa, due here on the 7th February from Sydney.

John Squire ( - 1893)

Timaru Herald, 25 March 1893, Page 1
Funeral Notice. The Friends of John Squire are respectfully informed that his Funeral will leave his Son's Residence, Highfield, Glen-iti Road.

Timaru Herald, 4 January 1896, Page 3
A distressing drowning case occurred yesterday afternoon by which a well known farmer and stock dealer named Henry Squire [aged47], of Wai-iti Road, lost his life m the Pareora river at Rapsey's crossing, above Beaconsfield. It appears that Mr Squire had purchased some cattle from a settler on the south side of the river, and was bringing them home assisted by farmers living near the river named Bell and another named Miller. The cattle were got across the river, when one beast broke back. Miller and Bell held the mob while Squire went after the single beast. During the late floods the old ford has been scoured into a deep hole about 10ft or 12ft deep, and a new ford has been made higher up. The beast galloped along the track to the old ford and plunged into the hole; the deceased following close up also rode into the hole. The beast and the riderless horse were next seen by Miller and Bell on the further bank and they went over to the river, and for some time saw no sign of Squire. By this time deceased's brother, Mr A. Squire, who lives on the south side of the river had been informed of the unfortunate occurrence. A vehicle was obtained, and the body was brought to deceased's house, Wai-iti Road, where an inquest will be held at noon to-day. The case is an unusually sad one, as Mr Squire leaves a wife and eight children, the eldest only 10 years of age, the youngest an infant in arms.

Timaru Herald, 10 December 1896, Page 2
An exhibition of the Planet Jr. hand and horse implements including the orchard cultivator, will be given at Colonel Bailey's farm, Highfield (late H. Squire's) Wai-iti road, to-day, at 2.30 p.m. Conveyances leave Priest and Holdgate's shop in the Arcade, at 2.
Timaru Cemetery:  In loving memory of Marie Lilienthal beloved wife of George squire who died at Fairview June 30th 1912 aged 55 years. To know her was to love her. Also of her brother Otto Lilienthal first inventor of the flying machine killed near Berlin August 10th 1896. Also her husband George W. Squire died March 5th 1933 aged 88 years and the son George O. Squire died Dec 18th 1918 aged 33 years.

J.W. GRANT (1879 - 1969)

In 1881 Alexander Grant purchased Grays Hills, down the Haldon Rd, in the Mackenzie. This tussock run Grant enlarged to about 60,000 acres carried approx. 15,000 merino sheep. His son, James William Grant, became a partner in 1908. Marion Lorna Guthrie married James William Grant in 1916. A manager was put on when James went off to WW1 in 1917-1918. Alex. Grant sold part of the run to his son James in 1911, he retained the original run until his death in 1919, after which it passed to James’ wife. In 1948 the property was sold to David Urquhart and the 58,800 acre property is still in the Urquhart family today. Mr and Mrs J.W. Grant retired to Timaru to "The Croft" also set on spacious grounds. Mr Grant treasured the many fine specimens of trees on his Park Lane property - and his gardens gave him considerable pleasure with its fine showing of azaleas and camellias. At one time he was president of the local Rhododendron Society. James Grant bequeathed to the city of Timaru The Croft and The Aigantighe.

Star 12 April 1916, Page 7
GRANT-GUTHRIE. A profusion of beautiful flowers, including white Michaelmas daisies and graceful strands of maidenhair fern, with here and there a touch of autumn colouring, created an exquisite wedding bower in the artistic drawing room of the residence of Mr Arnand M'Kellar, 138 Park Terrace, which was specially lent for the occasion of the marriage of Miss Marion Lorna Guthrie, only daughter of Dr John and Mrs Guthrie, of Christchurch, to Mr James William Grant, of Gray's Hills. Mackenzie Country, and only son of Mr Alexander Grant, of Timaru, which took place to-day. The bride and bridegroom stood under a beautiful floral bell, composed of white roses and marguerites. The dining hall, where, the wedding breakfast was served, was radiant delicate shades of pink and white roses. The bride, who was given away by her father, looked charmingly picturesque in an exquisite frock of white satin with drapings of fine white shadow lace. The handsome embroidered tulle veil was caught to the coiffure with a wreath of orange blossoms. The bouquet was a shower of white roses with fern. She was attended by Miss Marian Hay, of Timaru, as chief bridesmaid, who wore a dainty frock of white pinspot muslin, and picture hat of black adorned with pink. She carried a lovely shower bouquet. Miss Marjorie M'Kellar, Miss Betty Guthrie (nieces of the bride) and Miss Hester Wigley (niece of the bridegroom) also attended as maids of honour making a pretty picture in their white pin-spot muslin dresses, with trails of pink rosebuds entwined in their hair, and carrying quaint little posies.

Death notice TH 20 June 1969 reads:
GRANT, James William (Hamish) on June 19th, 1969 at Timaru, loved husband of Lorna GRANT of 12 Park Lane and late of Gray Hills Station in his 91st year. Private funeral. No flowers please. HALL and MOORE 

Press, 6 April 1921, Page 2
Mrs Hamish Grant, "Grey Hills Timaru, is the guest of Mrs John Guthrie, Armagh street, CHCH.

Press, 18 August 1922, Page 10 DR. JOHN GUTHRIE, SENR.
The death occurred yesterday morning of Dr. John Guthrie, one of the oldest medical practitioners in Christchurch, at the age of 75 years. The late Dr. Guthrie, who was born, at Kendal, north of England, was a son of the late Dr. John Guthrie, D.D., of Edinburgh. After qualifying as a medical practitioner, Dr. Guthrie came to New Zealand in 1875 and took up his practice in Akaroa, later removing to Christchurch, where he remained in practice till 1895. Soon after his arrival in the Dominion he married Miss Hay, of Pigeon Bay. The late Dr. Guthrie, who practised in Lyttelton, was a brother of the deceased, and his two sons. John and Robert Neil, are both well-known Christchurch medical men. His only daughter is Mrs Hamish Grant, of Gray's Hill Station, Burke's Pass. Sir James Guthrie, who recently retired from the presidency of the Royal Scottish. Academy, is a younger brother, and Mrs T.O. Hay, of Pigeon Bay, is a sister of-the deceased gentleman. The late Dr. Guthrie was a foundation member and a past president of the Christchurch Savage Club.

John Guthrie married Marian Taylor GUTHRIE in 1876. Children:
1877 Guthrie John
1882 Guthrie Robert Neil
1887 Guthrie Marion Lorna

Charles Frederick Goldie is said to have studied portraiture under Sir James Guthrie in London. Guthrie was the uncle of Lorna Guthrie who married James Grant and in 1955 Grant gave the Aigantighe home to Timaru so that it could become an art gallery. Lorna Grant knew Goldie and the two smaller paintings by him which she owned are part of the Aigantighe gallery's collection. Sir James was a brother of Dr. John Guthrie, late of Christchurch, of Dr. T. O. Guthrie, formerly of Lyttelton, and of Mrs T. O. Hay, of Pigeon Bay

In 1881 Alexander Grant purchased Grays Hills, down the Haldon Rd, in the Mackenzie from Captain Baldwin who had recently purchased the 47,000 acres from Fletcher and Sherries for £16,000. This tussock run Grant enlarged to about 60,000 acres carried approx. 15,000 merino sheep. His son, James William Grant, became a partner in 1908. Marion Lorna Guthrie married James William Grant in 1916. A manager was put on when James went off to WW1 in 1917-1918. Alex. Grant sold part of the run to his son James in 1911, he retained the original run until his death in 1919, after which it passed to James’ wife. In 1948 the property was sold to David Urquhart and the 58,800 acre property is still in the Urquhart family today. Mr and Mrs J.W. Grant retired to Timaru to "The Croft" also set on spacious grounds.

57886 James William Grant
NZFA Gnr GRANT, James William
Religion : Presb. 20/3/1879
Last Address Gray's Hills, Burkes Pass
Occupation : Sheepfarmer
NOK : Mrs Marion Lorna GRANT (wife) Gray's Hills Station, Fairlie. Married 12 May 1916 at Christchurch by Rev. A.T. Thompson.
Parents : Alexander and Helen Grant, both born in Scotland, Been in NZ 56 years.
Volunteered for 32nd Reinforcement Field Artillery. Altered to 36th Rein.
Declared age 38 years, born Dunedin 20 March 1879
Height: 6 feet. Hair black. Eyes brown. Complexion dark.
Medical History approved by James R. Loughnan, Major.
Inducted 18 May 1917, Timaru
Recruit expresses his preference to enlist for Mounted Rifles.
Embarked 23 April 1918, Wellington, "Willochra" No. 102
Disembarked Suez 31:5:1918
Marched in from O'seas, Australian Camp 31/5/18
15.6.18 Sick to hospital, Suez B213
14.6.18 Adm (Diarroheoa)
22.6.18 Discharge Hosp. (Diarroheoa)
22.6.18 Readmitted (Dysentry)
25.6.18 Discharged to duty
4.7.18 Emarked Ormonde at Alex.
12.7.18 Disembarked Southampton
19.9.18 Left for France
7.10.18 Marched into camp Etaples
12.10.18 2Bde Posted to 9th Bty
6 May 1919 Discharged NZEF in UK (Demob.)

Otago Witness 13 August 1919 Page 52
Mr J. W. Grant (Gray's Hills), who has been on active is expected back in Timaru this week.

Evening Star 7 August 1919 Page 6  PASSENGERS BY THE NIAGARA.
The R.M.S. Niagara, which arrived at Auckland at 5 a.m. on Tuesday from Vancouver, Honolulu, and Suva, brought the following passengers for New Zealand : First saloon — C. H- Cruickshank Mrs Cruickshank. G. Philpott, H.R. Vaughan, E. Armitage, Dr and Mrs H. Dean Bamford, Dr W. Creser, Mrs Dunlop Donnor, Miss Donnor, J.W. Grant, Mrs Sinclair-Thomson, Mrs R.V. Holmes, W. T. Horne, N.J., Kidd, L. Casta, Right Hon. W. F. Massey, Mrs and Miss Massey, F.D. Thompson, R. Riley, A. M’Dougall, Mr and Mrs F. Maddox, R.W. Morgan, Lieutenant B.N. Obegi, Sir Joseph Ward, Lady Ward, Miss A. Saunders, C.P. Todd, C.C. Miles, Miss H. Miles, L.A. Wilkinson, J.S. Sinclair, J.C. Field. C.T. M’Carthy, H.R. Ward, Dr and Mrs H. K. Marshall, J. R. Clarkson.

Burkes Pass Cemetery. Headstones only
James William GRANT 20 March 1879 - 19 June 1969 of Gray Hills Station and his wife
Marion Lorna 23 Nov 1885 - 30 Jan 1972

75 years of Presbyterian Support in South Canterbury 1919-1993, Scott, M E, A history of the Presbyterian Social Services in South Canterbury, published for their 75th anniversary in 1993. Published 1993 46 p., ill. ; 21cm
The organisation began in 1918 with the intention to provide homes for orphaned children. Later the organisation expanded into aged care. Units operating under its auspices included a children’s home, at 91 North St Timaru, the Margaret Wilson and Croft rest homes in Timaru and Wallingford Rest Home in Temuka. The latter portion of the booklet comprises a reprint of the 50th Jubilee Booklet.

Presbyterian Support South Canterbury celebrates its 100th birthday this year with a centenary book to be published in June 2018.

South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project

It feels good to focus on some exercise as that can renew your body and your mind.