NYGenWeb Westchester County: Surnames
Westchester County, NY
Some Surnames of Interest to Westchester Genealogists
This page was last updated: Thursday, 05-Apr-2012 09:37:13 MDT
Families of Rye
A listing of the Families of Rye as shown in the book Chronicles of a Border Town: History of Rye, Westchester County, New York, 1660-1870, including Harrison and the White Plains Till 1788 by Charles W. Baird and published in 1871.
Grenville MacKenzie, professional genealogist, compiled "The MacKenzie Papers" which are genealogies of about 200 families, mostly from Philipsburg Manor. Located here is a listing of the surnames which was compiled by Drew Dubler who has kindly offered them here for his fellow researchers.
Sleepy Hollow Central
A page linking researchers and descendants of Colonial Philipse Manor Families can be found at http://pages.preferred.com/~dsee/SleepyHollowCentral.html
Putnam County Historical Society & Foundry Museum
Surname files at the Putnam County Historical Society. Many families of northern Westchester migrated into Putnam County and vice versa. A listing of the surname files compiled by Drew Dubler and held by this society can be found at https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nyputnam/pchsfsm.htm
1790 Federal Census
An alphabetic listing of those Heads of Households listed in the 1790 Federal Census for Westchester County. -- NOTE: This list is in the process of being transcribed and will be posted once the full census has been transcribed. In the meanwhile, see the census for those towns which have already been transcribed at https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nywestch/census/
Some Individual Surname Pages
- Allaires of New Rochelle
- Bell Homepage and family tree
- Surnames of Bell, Yerks, Slagle and Others in Westchester County in the towns of North Castle,New Castle, Mt.Pleasant, N. Tarrytown and others. Page is located at
http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/b/e/l/David-B-Bell/David B. Bell
at [email protected]
- Buys (& van Tassel) families
- The Chadeaynes were French Huguenots who fled persecution in LaRochelle and, eventually, founded New Rochelle. David Chadeayne built a farm in Yorktown in 1755 on the first plot of land sold outside the Van Cortlandt family. It's at the corner of Chadeayne Road and Pines Bridge Road. The family has been around Westchester all these years. http://188.8.131.52/html
- Descendants of John Crosby, Cortlandt
- Jurckses/Yerex/Yerks of Philipsburg
- Descendants of Paulus Jurckse from Texel Holland 1642-present. Surnames include: Jurchse, Yerex, Yourex, Wiltse, VanCott, Orser/Aertse, Gerow, Van Tassel, Van Wert, Williams, Storm, Dret/Dareth, Hoppe, De Voe, Blauvelt, Ackerman, See, Conklin, etc.
- Martin and Hays/Hayes
- Martin and Hays/Hayes from Westchester Co.
are accessed from http://home.att.net/~jg245/
- SARLES or SEARLES
- Searles or Sarles surnames are found in Westchester County, New York, 1700s and 1800s, and their web pages can be found at
- SEEs of NY
Selleck/Sellick/Sillick, a Connecticut family with some members in Westchester Co. NY:
- Some Sharrocks of Peekskill
- http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/8182/Homer1.html and is part of the Sharrock Searchers website. Christine O'Hara, our email: [email protected]
- Tompkins/Deveaux family, Morrisania
Return to Westchester County's Town Index page.
Return to the main page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the NYGenWeb web site.
© 1996-2012 Cathy Horn. All rights reserved.NYGENWEB's Westchester County URL: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nywestch/
This web site was designed by and has been exclusively maintained since November 1996 by Cathy Horn.