Some Obituaries & Newspaper Notices
Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content.
Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
Some Genealogical Clippings from the Local Papers in Peekskill
This page was last updated: Monday, 15-Oct-2012 09:46:40 MDT
The following obituaries and newspaper notices were submitted by Liz Maloy, a member of the Westchester Mailing List. During her research for her own family lines, she had compiled these notices and is sharing them here with her fellow Westchester researchers. Sources, where known, are included in the entries.
- At Oscawana Lake, July 5, 1908, Elisha Adams, aged 76 years, 2 months, 15 days
Source: Highland Democrat, Saturday, July 11, 1908 & Hillside Cemetery, Cortlandt Manor, NY
- Mrs. Minnie M. Archer Adams 86, who was the oldest member of the Shrub Oak Methodist Church died yesterday noon in a Peekskill nursing home. She had been ill for a long time. Her husband Walter A Adams, a retired farmer, died in 1951. Mrs. Adams lived in the Shrub Oak area practically all her life. She was born in Shrub Oak, May 29, 1869, the daughter of Isaac and Margaret Dever Archer. She is survived by several nieces and nephews. The funeral services will be held at the Shrub Oak Methodist Church, Monday, April 23 at 2 pm with the pastor, Rev Dorland R Russett officiating. Interment in Shrub Oak Cemetery.
Source: The Evening Star, Saturday, April 21, 1956 & Shrub Oak Cemetery.
- Walter A. Adams, a retired farmer, died yesterday afternoon at his home in Shrub Oak at the age of 83. Mr. Adams had resided in Shrub Oak for the past seven years. Previously he lived on his farm on Crompond Rd, in the Town of Yorktown. He was born October 19, 1867, the son of Asa and Josephine Shannon Adams. He was a member of the Shrub Oak Methodist Church. If he had lived, he and his wife would have observed their 55th wedding anniversary on Nov. 11. The funeral services will be held Sunday, Sept. 30 at 2:30 pm at his late residence in Shrub Oak, with the Rev. Dorland R. Russett pastor of the Shrub Oak Methodist Church officiating. Interment will be at Shrub Oak Cemetery. Surviving are his wife, Minnie Archer Adams; one sister, Mrs Ella Milteer of Quitman Georgia and two nephews.
Source: The Evening Star, September 28, 1951 and Shrub Oak Cemetery.
- Raymond Adams, a lifelong resident of Kent Cliffs, died at his home on Saturday, may 23, 1998. He was 84. He was born June 11, 1913, in Brewster to Irving and Estelle Tompkins Asams. Mr. Adams worked as an auto body repairman in Kent Cliffs. He was a member of the Kent Rod and Gun Club. In April 1938, he married Rosella Davis in Kent Cliffs. His family said he enjoyed the outdoors and hunting. Mr. Adams is survived by a son, John of San Jose, CA; a brother Albert of Kent Cliffs; and two grandchildren. His wife died earlier. A funeral service will be at the funeral home at 2pm Wednesday, with the burial in Halstead Cemetery, Kent Cliffs. Source: The Star, Sunday, 5/24/1998.
- At Oscawana Heights, November 8, 1942, Mary S., widow of Emott D. Admas, aged 89 years.
Source: Peekskill Home News, December 1942.
- On the Church Road at Canopus, on Monday morning at 6:30 o'clock, October 17th, 1893 of acute meningitis, Harold Emmett, infant son and only child of Mr. & Mrs. Emmett Adams, aged 1 year, 2 months and 19 days.
Source: The Highland Democrat, Saturday, October 29, 1898.
- In Peekskill, Oct. 23, 1901, by the Rev. Thomas C. Straus, Eugene F. Hunt and Miss Gertrude M. Adams, all of Peekskill.
Source: The Highland Democrat, Saturday, October 26, 1901.
- At the M.E. Parsonage Shrub Oak, July 28, 1901, by the Rev. H. W. Ackerly, Adrian Adams and Florence Christian, both of Mahopac Falls.
Source: The Highland Democrat, Saturday, August 3, 1901.
- In Peekskill, Dec. 24, 1903, by the Rev. C.A. Holla, Gabriel S Adams and Miss Grace I. Purdy, both of Peekskill.
Source: The Highland Democrat, Saturday, January 2, 1904.
- Personal column Tompkins Corners — Mr. & Mrs. Everett Adams and daughter. Leonia, enjoyed a visit with relatives at Mohegan Lake on Sunday.
- At the residence of the brides parents, Wednesday Nov. 6th, by Rev J. H. Smith D.D., Eugene H Owen of Putnam Valley to Miss Emma J., only daughter of Organ Shaw, of Peekskill.
Source: Peekskill Messenger, Thursday, November 15, 1877.
- At Jefferson Valley, April 11, 1904, Martha J. Adams, wife of John Adams, aged 68 years.
Source: Highland Democrat, Saturday, April 16, 1904
- By Rev. Dr. Aaron Coons, at his residence in Cortlandtown, February 19, 1904, Everett Adams and Miss Alice Tompkins, both of Tompkins Corners.
- By the Rev. Dr. Aaron Coons, at his residence in Cortlandtown, Sept 14, 1904, Allie Jessie Baxter of Putnam Valley and Miss Mary Elizabeth Shaw of Indiana.
Source: Highland Democrat, Saturday, April 2, 1904.
- HUNT – OBITUARY – MRS. GEO. W. HUNT
- The death of Mrs. George W. Hunt, of Tompkins Corners, occurred at home of her daughter, Mrs. Abner Tompkins of Peekskill, January 12, 1904, aged 75 years, 3 months and 26 days. It was a shock to her many friends in this place. She was attacked with pneumonia, December 31, and although everything possible in the way of medical attention and careful nursing, was done, she was in such a weakened condition that it was impossible to prolong her life. She had not enjoyed good health of late years, although she had sought every possible means to gain strength. But the benefits received were only temporary. She was the daughter of the late Joseph Adams and Jemima Sherwood, of Putnam Valley. Eight children, Oscar and Ambrose Hunt, of Tompkins Corners; Ozro Hunt of Danbury; Mrs. Emma L Hadden and Mrs. Libbie Tompkisn, of Tompkins Corners; Mrs. Arvilla hadden, of Mahopac Mines; Mrs. Jennie Tompkins and Mrs. Amanda Ferris, of Peekskill survive her.
- Deceased was a fine type of womanhood, earnest and active in ever good work, amiability and consideration for others being marked traits of her character. She lived up to high ideals, cheerfulness and helpfulness being the rules of her life. Her kind heartedness and sympathetic nature won her friends among all classes. Her thoughtful remembrances and kind acts to the sick will be long remembered and cherished. Her mission was fulfilled, but she will be greatly missed and mourned not only by her relatives, who loved and appreciated her true worth as a woman. She is no doubt enjoying His presence now and while we mourn her departure, it is with the thought that the reunion awaits us in the future if we are willing to accept Him who said "I am the way, the truth, the life; to man cometh to the Father but by Me."
- The funeral services were conducted at the Tompkins Corners M.E. church on Thursday, January 14 at 12 o'clock, by Rev. Aaron Coons. Burial in the family plot at Tompkins Corners.
There'll be no graveyards in Heaven,
There will be no death-beds of pain.
There'll be no good-byes to sadden,
For we will never part again.
- At Yorktown may 9, Clinton N Adams, aged 27 years, 4 months and 22 days.
Source: Peekskill Messenger Friday, May 16, 1890.
- At Yorktown Feb 27th, Caroline Adams, wife of Alfred C Adams, deceased aged 61 years and 15 days.
Source: Peekskill Messenger Friday, March 7, 1890.
- At Yorktown Feb. 20th, John C Adams aged 70 years, 10 months and 24 days.
Source: Peekskill Messenger Friday, Feb 28, 1890.
- In Peekskill Nov. 14, 1915 by the Rev. Francis Steven, Miss Agnes G Bennett to Herbert Adams both of Kent Cliffs.
Source: Highland Democrat Dec. 1915.
- At Kent Cliffs, July 1, 1883, by Rev. Allen E. Light, Mr. Elmore Christian of New Windsor, Orange Co., NY and Miss Phebe J. Adams of Putnam Valley, Putnam Co., NY.
Source: Highland Democrat, Saturday, July 14, 1883.
- At the residence of Henry Christian Esq., Dec. 24th, by Rev. R. L. Shurter, Mr. Charles M. Adams to Miss Victoria Christian both of Putnam Valley.
Source: Peekskill Blade, January 9, 1883
- On January 25, 1879, by Rev. Thomas Carter, D.D., Hester E. Barrett to Stephen D. Adams both of Kent, NY.
Source: Peekskill Blade, February 4, 1879
- In Peekskill, on Friday June 11th, Mary J., wife of Henry Shaw, aged 42 years.
Source: Peekskill Blade, June 15, 1880
Return to Peeksill page.
Return to Westchester County's Town Index page.
Return to the main page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the NYGenWeb web site.
Copyright © 1996-2013 Cathy Horn. All rights reserved.NYGENWEB's Westchester County URL: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nywestch/
This web site was designed by and has been exclusively maintained since November 1996 by Cathy Horn.