Suffolk County Museums

Suffolk County Museums
& Historical Locations


Bridgehampton Historical Society
Montauk Highway
Bridgehampton 11932
Museum: Corwith Homestead

Beebe Windmill (Town of Southampton)
Ocean Road
Call for hours
This restored windmill was built in 1820 and has been moved
a number of times since then. It is the last surviving iron-geared windmill
in the United States and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Corwith Homestead (Bridgehampton Historical Society)
Montauk Highway
Open: Thurs.-Sat., 12:00-4:00 p.m. (June-September)
This historical complex consists of the early-19th Century
Corwith House, a wheelwright shop and an old machine shop.
On display in the Corwith house are period furnishings
and other historical exhibits. The wheelwright shop and
machine shop contain exhibits of old tools and machines.

DIA Center for the Arts
Corwith Avenue
Open: Thurs.-Sun., 12:00-6:00 p.m. (Memorial Day-Labor Day)
Features historical and contemporary artwork,
much of local origin or interest.

Poxabogue Pond Preserve (Suffolk County)
Old Farm Road
Bridgehampton, NY 11932
A 26-acre preserve, on the north side of Poxabogue Pond,
which consists of woods, fields, and marshland.
A wide variety of plant life can be found there.

Sagg Swamp Preserve (Nature Conservancy)
Sagaponack Road
P.O. Box 5125 (mail)
East Hampton, NY 11937 (mail)
Open: Sunrise-sunset (call for permission)
An 84-acre preserve which consists of a red maple swamp.
Home to a variety of wildlife and plant life, including some rare species.

East Hampton

(East Hampton listings submitted by Kathleen B. Waygood)

East Hampton Town Marine Museum
Bluff Road
Amagansett, NY

This museum has a good display of local marine history:
lifesaving, Coast Guard, fishing/whaling industry, etc., and photos.

Hook Mill
(at the fork, north end of Main St)
East Hampton, NY

Home Sweet Home
James Lane
East Hampton, NY
(home of John Howard Payne)

Mulford Farm
James Lane
East Hampton, NY

Clinton Academy
Main Street
East Hampton, NY

Southend Cemetery
Many early settlers of the area are buried here.

East Quogue

Zoe B. deRopp Sanctuary (Nature Conservancy)
Josiah Foster Path
250 Lawrence Hill Road (mail)
Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724 (mail)
Open: sunrise-sunset (call for permission)
A nine-acre salt marsh preserve.


The Big Duck
Route 24
Suffolk County Parks (mail)
P.O. Box 144
Sayville, NY 11796
Open: Sunrise-sunset
This building, in the shape of a sitting duck, is a classic example
of roadside architecture. It was built in 1930 as a
roadside stand selling ducks. The interior is not open.

Hampton Bays

Stuyvesant Wainwright Memorial Refuge
Upper Red Creek Road
250 Lawrence Hill Road (mail)
Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724 (mail)
Open: sunrise-sunset (call for permission)
A fifteen-acre preserve with a number of habitats.

North Sea

Scallop Pond Preserve (Nature Conservancy)
Scott Road
P.O. Box 5125 (mail)
East Hampton, NY 11937 (mail)
Open: Sunrise-sunset (call for permission)
A 55-acre wetland preserve which is home to a variety of marine and wildlife.

Wolf Swamp Preserve
Scott Road & Millstone Road
P.O. Box 5125 (mail)
East Hampton, NY 11937 (mail)
Open: Sunrise-sunset (call for permission)
A 19-acre preserve on Big Fresh Pond which consists
of woodlands and a red maple swamp. A variety of
plant life can be seen here.


Griffith Preserve (Nature Conservancy)
Montauk Highway
250 Lawrence Hill Road (mail)
Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724 (mail)
Open: sunrise-sunset (call for permission)
A 17-acre wooded preserve with a variety of plant life.

Old Schoolhouse Museum
Quogue Street East
P.O. Box 1207 (mail)
Quogue, NY 11959
Open: Mon., Weds. & Fri., 2:00-5:00 p.m. (July & August)
Sat., 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. (July & August)
A local history museum housed in an 1882 one-room schoolhouse.

Quogue Wildlife Refuge
Old Main Road & Old Country Road
Quogue, NY 11959
Open: Daily, 9:00 a.m-5:00 p.m. (Nature Center open Tues. & Thurs., 1:30-4:00 p.m.)
A 200 acre preserve with nature center and a number of nature trails.


Cranberry Bog County Preserve (Suffolk County)
Riverhead Moriches Road
Riverhead, NY 11901
Open: Sunrise-sunset
A 211-acre preserve on a former cranberry farm.
Home to a variety of plant and bird life.

Sag Harbor

Custom House
Garden Street
Sag Harbor, NY 11963
Open: Tues.-Sun., 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (June-September)
This 1789 building was the first custom house in
New York State and the first post office on Long Island,
and houses a collection of period furnishings.

Elizabeth Morton National Wildlife Refuge
Noyac Road
Sag Harbor, NY 11963
P.O. Box 21 (mail)
Shirley, NY 11967 (mail)
Open: Daily, Sunrise-sunset
A 187 acre National Wildlife Refuge and home to a number of endangered species.

Old Burying Ground
Union Street
Open: Sunrise-sunset
This old cemetery dates to pre-Revolutionary times.
A number of Revolutionary War soldiers and sailors are buried there.

Sag Harbor Fireman's Museum
Sage Street & Church Street
Sag Harbor, NY 11963
Open by appointment
This museum contains exhibits relating to
the Department's 175 year history.

Sag Harbor Whaling and Historical Museum
Main Street
P.O. Box 1327 (mail)
Sag Harbor, NY 11963
Open: Mon.-Sat., 10:00a.m.-5:00 p.m. (May-September)
Sun., 1:00-5:00 p.m. (May-September)
Features many exhibits on the history of whaling on Long Island.

Whaler's First Presbyterian Church
Union Street
Sag Harbor, NY 11963
Open: no regular hours
This church was built in 1844 when Sag Harbor was
a major whaling port. Its tall steeple, which could be seen for miles,
was destroyed in the hurricane of 1938. The church is on
the National Register of Historic Places.

Shinnecock Hills

Mill Hill Windmill
Southampton College
Route 27
Shinnecock Hills, NY 11966
Interior not open to the public.
This mill operated on another site until 1889
when it was moved to this site and most
of its machinery removed.

Shinnecock Indian Reservation
Route 27A
Shinnecock Hills, NY 11966
(631)283-6143 (Shinnecock Native American Coalition)
Open daily, year-round
This reservation is home to about 300 descendants
of the Shinnecock Indians, whose tribal lands originally
included all of Southampton Township. On the reservation
is a burial ground which dates to 1600. A number of events
are held on the reservation during the year.


Southampton Colonial Society
17 Meeting House Lane
Southampton, NY 11968
Museums: Southampton Historical Museum, Thomas Halsey Homestead

Elias Pelletreau Silver Shop
Main Street
Southampton, NY 11968
Open by appointment
This building, built in 1686, served as a silversmith's shop
for Elias Pelletreau and his descendants from
1748 into the 19th Century.

Good Ground Windmill
Dune Road
Interior not open to the public
This windmill was built in 1807 by Nathaniel Dominy V
and was originally located on Shelter Island.

Hildreth's Department Store
51 Main Street
Southampton, NY 11968
This local establishment, which began on this site as a
general store, has been operated continuously
by the same family since 1842.

North End Graveyard
North Sea Road
Open: Sunrise-sunset
This old cemetery dates to Colonial times.
The graves of many Revolutionary War soldiers
are located here.

Old British Fort
Windmill Lane
Open: Sunrise-sunset
A British fort was located on the site of this park
during the British occupation of Southampton in 1777.

Old Burying Ground
Little Plains Road
Open: Sunrise to sunset
This old graveyard was the burial place of
Southampton's early settlers and dates to the 17th Century.

Parrish Art Museum
25 Job's Lane
Southampton, NY 11968
Open: Weds.-Mon., 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (Spring-Fall)
Thurs.-Mon., 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (Winter)
The permanent collection of this museum contains
19th Century American art, including many works
by William Merritt Chase and Fairfield Porter.

Sacred Hearts of Jesus & Mary Cemetery
Route 27
Southampton, NY 11968
Open: Sunrise-sunset
The grave of actor Gary Cooper is located in this cemetery.

Southampton Historical Museum (Southampton Colonial Society)
17 Meeting House Lane
Open: Tues.-Sun., 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (June-September)
This complex of buildings on the former Rodgers Family homestead
includes the Rodgers house, built in 1843, a blacksmith's shop,
drug store, one-room schoolhouse, carriage shop, carpenter's shop,
cobbler's and harness shop. The buildings house exhibits of
Shinnecock Indian artifacts, furniture and other historical artifacts.

Thomas Halsey Homestead (Southampton Colonial Society)
South Main Street
Southampton, NY 11968
Open: Tues.-Sun., 11:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (June-September)
Built in 1648 and considered the oldest English frame house
in New York State. Contains furnishings from the Colonial period.

Water Mill

Old Water Mill Museum
Old Mill Road
Water Mill, NY 11976
Open: Thurs., Sat.-Mon., 1:00-5:00 p.m. (June, July & August)
The oldest operating watermill on Long Island,
this grist mill was built in 1644. Demonstrations are given
and there are a number of historical exhibits.

Corwith Windmill
Halsey Lane
Interior not open
This restored windmill was built in 1800
and moved to this site in 1813. It is the second
oldest of Long Island's surviving windmills and is on
the National Register of Historic Sites.

Westhampton Beach

Long Island Aero Museum
Avenue B, Building 121
Gabreski Airport
Westhampton Beach, NY 11978
Open by appointment
A small museum dedicated to the development of the
airplane industry. Exhibits include photographs and
other memorabilia, including a 1907 airplane engine.



This page was last updated May 31, 2001.