~see Schuyler co. History for more details
about each township and early settlers.~
COUNTY BOUNDARY CHANGES ********* SSee Animated Map of NY State County Formations (link).
Schuyler co., NY was formed in 1854 from
Chemung, Tompkins, & Steuben counties,
but has remnants of other earlier counties:
The area of Schuyler co., NY was first called:
Tryon co.,NY...................................................................................................1772 - 1781
re-named Montgomery co.,NY.......................................................................1781 - 1791
Tioga co.,NY (incl. Catharine, Cayuta, Catlin, Montour) formed.................1791 (from Montgomery co.)
Steuben co.,NY (incl. Wayne, Tyrone, Orange) formed.................................1796 (from Ontario co.)
(Ontario co.,NY was formed in 1789 from Montgomery)
Seneca co.,NY (incl. Hector/Ulysses) formed ...............................................1804 (from Cayuga co.)
(Cayuga co. formed in 1799 from Onondaga which formed in 1794 from the Military Tract.)
Tompkins co.,NY (incl. Cayuta, Hector) formed ..........................................1817 (from Cayuga & Seneca co.)
Chemung co.,NY (Catharine, Montour, Dix-Catlin) formed ........................1836 (from Tioga co.)
Schuyler co., NY formed............................................................................... 1854 (from all of the above)
Your ancestor might have lived in 5 counties without ever moving!
In 1779, Sullivan's army marched through the defiles along Catharine Creek, closely pursuing the Indians, who were flying from the fatal battle of "Newtown" (now Elmira). So great was the terror of the Indians that they neglected to defend the passes, and the American army marched unmolested through the only place where successful resistance was practicable. Upon the conclusion of peace, many of the soldiers belonging to the army returned to this region and located upon land which had been first brought to their notice in this campaign. The first settlements in the county were made on Catharine Creek, near the present site of Havana (later Montour Falls) in 1788, and on the shores of Seneca Lake, in 1790. The town of Hector belonged to the Military Tract; the towns of Catharine, Dix and Reading, to the Watkins and Flint Purchase; and Tyrone and Orange, to the Phelps and Gorham Purchase.
In the late (Civil) war, volunteers enlisted in this county under orders of July 7, 1862, were to be organized at Elmira, where the 107th, 141st, and 161st Regiments were, for in this year parts of the 23rd, 89th, and 107th NY Vols. were also enlisted in this county.
Town of Catharine, Schuyler co., NY
Catharine was named from Catharine Montour, a French woman who married an Indian, and exerted great influence among them. The town was formed from "Newtown" (now Elmira, Chemung co.) on March 15, 1798. Catlin and Veteran (Chemung co.) were taken off in 1823, and Montour in 1860. A part of Newfield (Tompkins co.) was annexed June 4, 1853, and a part was added to Cayuta April 17, 1854. It lies upon the south border of the county, east of the center. Its surface is a hilly upland, broken by the deep valleys of the streams. Cayuta Lake lies in the NE part; and its outlet, Cayuta Creek, flows south into the Susquehanna.
Catharine P.O. situated in the south-west part of the town of Catharine, has 2 churches and 30-40 dwellings.
Alpine P.O. on the southeast border, is partly in this town.
Lawrence P.O. is in the center of the north part of the town of Catharine.
Odessa P.O. on the line of Montour, is a small village in the western part of the town of Catharine. It has 2 churches, several mills, and about 250 inhabitants.
The first settlement in the town of Catharine was made in 1788 at Havana, (now Montour Falls, which used to be part of the town of Catharine) - see history of Montour, below. Not including the area covered by Montour, the first settlers in the town of Catharine were in the villages of Odessa and Catharine, about 1800.
On the 22nd day of July, 1855, Mr. Foster Ervay became the happy father of four children at one birth, 3 girls and one boy. The population of the town in 1865 was 1622.
Town of Cayuta, Schuyler co., NY
Cayuta was formed from Spencer (Tioga co.) Feb. 22, 1811 (another source says on Mar. 20th, 1824). Parts of Catharine and Erin (Chemung co.) were annexed in 1854. The town was transferred from Tioga to Tompkins co. March 22, 1822. It is the southeast corner town in Schuyler co., and its surface is a hilly upland. Cayuta Creek flows southeast through the town, in a narrow valley bordered by steep hilsides 300 to 600 feet high.
Cayuta P.O. situated on Cayuta Creek, is a small village a little north of the center of the Town of Cayuta. It contains about 20 dwellings.
Alpine P.O. situated on the north line of the town of Cayuta, it is a small village with several mills and 25-30 houses.
The first settlement was made in the valley of the Cayuta, near West Cayuta, in 1801, by Capt. Gabriel Ogden, Rev. David Janes [Jaynes] and Joseph Thomas--the first two from Tioga co., NY, and the last from Athens, Penn. The first religious services were held by Rev. Mr. Janes / Jaynes (Bap.) at his own house, in 1802. Hermon White, Benj. Chambers and Jeremiah Taylor settled in the same vicinity in 1803; Moses Brown, Langstaff Compton, and others in 1804. The first birth was that of Rosetta, daughter of Jonathan Thomas, in Jan'y. 1804; the first marriage that of Ebenezer Edwards and Sarah Ogden in 1804; and the first death, that of Joseph Thomas, in July 1802. Robert Lockerby taught the first school, in a house belonging to Elder Jaynes in the winter of 1805. Capt. Gabriel Ogden kept the first inn, at West Cayuta in 1805, and Jesse White the first store in 1808. John White erected the first sawmill on the east branch of the Cayuta in 1816, and John Eunis the first grist mill, 2 miles below West Cayuta in 1817. The population in 1865 was 686.
Town of Dix, Schuyler co., NY
Dix was named from the Hon. John A. Dix and was formed from Catlin (Chemung co.) April 17, 1835. Parts of Reading and Hector were annexed April 28, 1869. In consideration of the latter, Dix agreed to pay to Hector the cost of a new bridge over the Seneca Inlet. Dix lies on the west side of Catharine Creek, and extends from the head of Seneca Lake to the south bounds of the county. Its surface is mostly a hilly upland, the summits rising 400 to 700 feet above the lake. Catharine Creek, and smaller streams, drain its surface. A little southwest from the head of the lake, a deep glen extends several miles in length, bordered by perpendicular rocks 200-300 feet high. A small stream that flows through it has several pretty cascades. This glen has been rendered accessible to visitors, and from 30,000 to 50,000 visit the place annually.
Watkins P.O. (later Watkins Glen) the county seat, at the head of Seneca Lake, was incorporated as "Jefferson" April 11, 1842; its name was changed April 18, 1852 and the various acts relating to it were consolidated April 3, 1861. It was named after Dr. Samuel Watkins, an early settler. The corporation includes a part of the town of Reading. Besides the courthouse, clerk's office and jail, it has a sanitarium, 2 newspaper offices, 2 national banks (cap. $125,000), several manufactories, and extensive coal trans-shipment works. (Regarding the newspapers: the Watkins Express, Rep., weekly, Levi M. Gano, editor--est. 1834; the Schuyler co. Democrat, Dem., M.H. Baldwin, editor--est. 1861.) It is an important RR station and canal stop, and 2 steamers ply between this place and Geneva throughout the year. It has 5 churches, 4 hotels and 2,639 inhabitants. (The 5 churches were Presbyterian, Methodist-Episcopal, Baptist, Protestant Episcopal, and Roman Catholic.)
Beaver Dams P.O. in the southwest corner of Dix town, has 2 churches, several manufactories and about 30 dwellings.
Townsend P.O. near the west line, has 2 churches, several mills and about 40 dwellings.
Crawford Settlement (Moreland P.O.) near the south line, has 2 churches and about 30 dwellings.
Settlement was begun near the head of the lake and along the valley of Catharine Creek about 1800. George Mills was among the first settlers in the town; he lived to a great age, upward of 95. Judge John Dow / Dowe settled at the head of Seneca Lake in 1789-90, and in 1793 settled in Reading. Geo. Mills, David Culver and John and Wm. Watkins were also among the early settlers. The first settlers at the village of Townsend were Claudius Townsend, Consider B. Evans, Jonas Blower and Dods Benson in 1823. Ebenezer Perry was the first settler at Beaver Dams. At this place two dams were built across Post Creek by beavers; one of the dams still remains. A swamp, formed by the lower dam, is an alluvial deposit 400 feet deep, from which lime is made. The first church edifice (Bap.) was erected in Townsend in 1833. The population in 1865 was 3,432 in this town.
Town of Hector, Schuyler co., NY
Hector was formed from Ovid (Seneca co.) March 30, 1802. A part was annexed to Dix April 20, 1869, and a part to Reading by the same act. It is the southwest corner township of the Military Tract and the northeast corner town of the county. Its surface is a rolling upland, its highest summits being 500-700 feet above Seneca Lake. The bluffs bordering upon the lake are 100-300 feet high, and nearly perpendicular. It is drained by a large number of small creeks flowing into Seneca and Cayuga Lakes. Hector Falls, upon a small creek in the southwest part of the town, is a cascade made by the stream flowing down the bluff which borders upon the lake.
Perry City P.O., upon the east line of the town, contains a Friends' meeting house and about 150 inhabitants.
Mecklenburgh P.O., situated about 2 miles southwest of Perry City, is a flourishing village with 3 churches, several mills and about 400 inhabitants.
Reynoldsville P.O. near the center of the town, contains a church and about 125-150 inhabitants.
Bennettsburg(h) P.O., in the south part, contains a church and several mills, and about 30 houses.
Burdett P.O. in the southwest part of Hector town, contains 3 churches, a woolen factory, agricultural implement factory, iron foundry, gristmill, sawmill, tannery and about 400 inhabitants;
Peach Orchard (Hector P.O.) in the northwest part contains 3 churches and 40 dwellings & about 150 inhabitants; it received its name from the fact of there being a large peach orchard in that vicinity when the town was first settled. (The local Native Americans had orchards there.)
Polkville (Logan P.O.) is a small village northwest of the center, with a church and about 20 houses.
Smiths Valley P.O. is a hamlet in the south-east part of Hector town.
Searsburgh P.O. a hamlet in the north-east part of Hector that contains 2 churches and 10 dwellings.
North Hector post-office in the north-west part of Hector.
Cayutaville post office in the south-east part of Hector.
Logan located at Polkville, near the center of Hector town.
Steamburgh is a hamlet in the north part of Hector town.
Seneca P.O. a post office near the center of the north part of Hector town (near Steamburg).
John Livingston and Wm. Wickham settled in 1791 in the northwest part of the town, on the bank of the lake. Reuben Smith and his sons* Reuben, James, Samuel, Harvey, Caleb and Chauncey W. (see Chauncey Smith's will), from Canaan, CT, settled on Military Lots 20 and 21 in 1794; Richard Ely and Grover Smith, a little north of Peach Orchard, and Daniel Everts south of the same place in 1795, all from Salisbury, CT. The first child born was Polly Everts; (but another source, the Rev. Hotchkiss history, says that "Mr. Fawcett's daughter was the first white child born in the town of Hector. She was carried on horseback, soon after her birth, into the region of Northumberland, PA to receive baptism.") A son of Capt. Ely was the first white male child born in the town. The first marriage that of Stephen Pratt and Betsey Livingston; and the first death that of Wm. Wickham. The first school was taught at Peach Orchard, by John Livingston. Wm. Wickham kept the first inn, near Peach Orchard, and John B. Seeley the first store, at Hector Falls. The first gristmill and carding machine were put in operation at the same place by Samuel B. Seeley / Seely. The first church was formed by Rev. Mr. Stewart, at Peach Orchard, in 1809. The population in 1865 for Hector was 5,018.
* [A descendant - Ken Smith - says that this should read "Reuben (Smith) and his sons, Jabez, Harry, Caleb, Chauncey W. and daughter Amanda."]
Town of Montour, Schuyler co., NY
Montour was formed from Catharine (including its western part) March 3, 1860. It lies upon the south border of Schuyler co., a little east of the center. The surface is a hilly upland, broken by the deep valleys of Catharine Creek and the line of the Chemung Canal, and N.C. Railway.
Havana P.O. (later Montour Falls) is situated on Catharine Creek, about 3 miles from the head of Seneca Lake. It was incorporated May 13, 1836 and its charter was revised April 11, 1868; it was for some years the county seat. It is a station on the Chemung canal and also on the railroad and contains 3 churches (Episcopal, Methodist & Baptist). It has 2 national banks, 2 newspaper offices, a hotel, 2 flouring mills, 2 foundries, one woolen factory, a plaster mill, extensive stone ware works, a planing mill, a spoke and hub factory and several other manufactures, and a considerable amount of business. Pop. 1,273. It is at the head of the canal enlargement on the Chemung Canal, and was intended to be the site of "People's College". - This was incorporated April 12, 1853, and fine buildings were erected in 1857. By an act of May 14, 1863, the income and revenue granted by Congress, July 2, 1862, in and of colleges for teaching agriculture and the mechanic arts, were offered to the People's College at Havana, but with condition as to endowment and preparation which the trustees of the latter were unable to meet. It was finally, by act of April 27, 1863, granted to the Cornell University, but not without still offering the opportunity to the People's College, of meeting the conditions within three months, which they failed to do. Upon the project being abandoned, it was for a time proposed to found a Masonic Orphan Asylum or Seminary, but it is now understood to be in course of organization as a Baptist Seminary. Newspapers: Havana Journal (Rep.), weekly, A.G. Ball, editor and publisher--est. 1849; Havana Enterprise (neutral), semi-monthly, M.N. Weed, editor and prop.
There are several natural curiosities in the vicinity of Havana (Montour Falls)...Havana Falls is a beautiful cascade a short distance west of the village. It is upon a small stream that pours its waters into the inlet of Seneca Lake. But the chief object of interest , and one that should be seen to be appreciated, is McClure's Glen [aka Havana Glen], a beautiful ravine worn into the rocks by the action of the water which for ages has been pouring into the basin of Seneca Lake. Until recently, the beauty and sublimity of the Glen were hidden....The Glen was first made accessible to the public in the summer of 1867, by the construction of walks and the erection of bridges and stairways through its rugged and winding way. In the entrance is a beautiful grove for picnic parties...the Free Masons held a grand picnic there on 18 Sept. 1867 and there were 5,000 - 10,000 in attendance. As we enter [Havana] Glen, the Portal Cascade first appears in view. Here the water of McClure's Creek makes its final plunge into the basin of Seneca Lake. Passing along the narrow path we will next take our stand upon Sylvan Bridge that spans the stream above the first falls...Eagle Cliff Falls appear in view, highest in the Glen, falling 50 feet. The cliffs tower over the summit of the falls 100 feet. Ascending the stairs, the "Pride of the Senecas" opens to view; it is the 2nd subdivision of Havana Glen. Here are found "Curtain Cascade" and "Central Gorge". Also are found Hermit's Cove and Whispering Falls as we pass along "Glen Chaos" with its jumble of broken rock. Also here are the "Glen of the Falls" and "Echo Falls", "Fairies' Cascade" and "Summit Falls". Seneca Lake is visible at the top.
The first settlement of the town was made at Havana (now Montour Falls) by Silas Wolcott and ___ Wilson. The first religious meeting was held at the house of Mr. P. Bowers, by a Presbyterian minister, in 1794. Geo. Mills, Wm. McClure, Phineas Bowers, John King, and two families by the name of Stevens, settled in the valley at and near Havana, in 1789-90. Anthony Broderick kept the first school in a house owned by Phineas Bowers, in 1792-93. Silas Wolcott kept the first inn, soon after his settlement, and Isaac Bowers and George Mills the first store, in 1805, at Havana. Phineas Bowers erected the first grist and saw mills, at or near the village.
Catharine Montour, in honor of whom this town was named, was a native of Canada, a half-breed, her father having been one of the early French Governors, probably Count Frontenac. During the wars between the Six Nations and the French and Hurons, Catharine was taken prisoner, carried to the Seneca country, adopted and reared as one of their own children. When she arrived at a suitable age, she married one of the distinguished Chiefs of her tribe, who distinguished himself in the wars of the Six Nations against the Catawbas, then a powerful nation living to the south-west of Virginia. Catharine had several children by this Chieftain, who fell in battle about the year 18_0. She is said to have been a handsome woman, when young, genteel, and of polite address, notwithstanding her Indian associations. She was accustomed to accompany the Chiefs of the Six Nations to Philadelphia and other places where Treaties were made, and from her character and manners was greatly caressed by the American Ladies. At Philadelphia she was invited into the best circles and entertained at the houses of the elite of the city. She was commonly called "Queen Catharine" and had her residence near the present village of Havana (Montour Falls). From the English colonial government she received a small salary for many years, on account of her influence with the Indians. The famous "Painted Post" at the confluence of the Tioga and Conhocton Rivers, is said to have been erected to the memory of a son of Queen Catharine.
Mr. George Mills the first merchant of Havana, was also one of the first navigators of Seneca Lake. "Mills Landing" was the head of navigation, and from this point, in his Indian batteaux, he transported the products of the soil, and received in return goods brought from New York, via. Albany, Mohawk River, Wood Creek, and Seneca River. As the population increased, he increased the tonnage of his vessels, and did a thriving business.
The first sloop launched upon the lake was built under the patronage of Col. Charles Williamson in 1796, to ply between Geneva and Catharinetown. This event called forth the settlers from their cabins, and was regarded of scarcely less importance than the launching of an ocean steamer in our seaports. It is said that natives of every State in the Union, and of every nation in Europe were present to witness the event. The first steamboat that navigated the Lake was the Seneca Chief, and her first trip was made July 4th, 1828. In just 20 years from that day she was destroyed by fire.
Town of Orange, Schuyler co., NY
Orange was formed from Wayne, Steuben co., NY on Feb. 12, 1813 as "Jersey" and on Feb. 20, 1836 the name was changed to "Orange", on the division of "Jersey" which lost its existence at that time, being formed into Orange and Bradford. On Apr. 11, 1842, a part of Hornby [Stueben co.] was annexed, and on Apr. 17, 1854, a small part of Bradford [Steuben co.]. It lies in the southwest corner of Schuyler county, being bounded east by the pre-emption line. It contains 32,000 acres, and its surface is a rolling and hilly upland broken by irregular valleys. Mead's Creek, flowing south-west, forms the principal drainage.
Monterey (Orange P.O.) situated on Mead's Creek in the south part of Orange. It has 3 churches, a gristmill, 2 inns, and 3 stores, with about 200 inhabitants.
Sugar Hill is a post office in the north-east part of the town of Orange.
Mead's Creek is a post office in the south-western part of Orange.
East Orange is a post office in the east part of the town of Orange, near the line of Dix.
Pine Creek is a post office north of the center of the town of Orange.
Settlement was begun in 1799 by Abraham Rosenback and Samuel Scomp, north-east of Monterey. Henry Switzer from New Jersey settled in Swizer Hill in 1820. D. Hewitt from Rensselaer Co.,NY was the first settler in Monterey, in 1811. Asa Nash was the first settler in Monterey in 1811. Abner and Thomas Hurd, and Brigham Young (the Mormon leader), were early settlers in the northeast part of the town. Mr. Chapman, Wm. Wilkins, Wm. DeWitt, Andrew Foot /Fort, Daniel Curtis, and Jedediah Miller settled on Mead's Creek in 1811. David Kimball and his brother Moses Kimball, John Dyer, Sylvester Goodrich and 3 men by the name of Hewett settled in the town a few years later. Joshua Chamberlain came into the town and purchased the land where the village of Monterey stands, of a man named DeWitt. The north-east part of the town, known as "Sugar Hill", did not receive its name from any considerable elevation in that place, but from the following circumstance: In this place was a fine grove of maples, and the early settlers in the adjacent region, having in their hunting excursions discovered that there were no settlers upon this land, were accustomed to resort thither in the spring and manufacture a supply of sugar for the year; hence the name "Sugar Hill". Settlement in this vicinity was commenced about 1819 or 1820. Lewis Nichols, William Webb, Thomas Horton, Abraham and John Allen, Ebenezer Beach, Mr. Eveleth, Seymour Lockwood and two families of Comptons, were among the first settlers. Dr. Hibbard and Abraham Lybolt came about the year 1821. After that, the town was rapidly settled, with the land office in Bath, NY. Elsie Switzer was the first child born. The first school was taught by Daniel McDougall, in 1819, near Monterey. Thomas Hurd kept the first inn, in 1816 at Monterey, and Walter Hurd the first store, south-west of the same place. The first church (M.E.) was formed by Rev. Peregrine Hallett, the first preacher. The population of the town of Orange was 2,094 in 1865.
Town of Reading, Schuyler co., NY
Reading was formed from "Frederickstown" (now Wayne, Steuben co.) Feb. 17, 1790 or 1806. A part was annexed to Dix and a part of Hector was added to this town April 20, 1869. It lies upon the west bank of Seneca Lake, and is the central town upon the north border of the county. Its surface is a rolling upland 400-500 feet above the lake. The bluffs upon the shore are very steep and in many place precipitous. Its streams are small brooks and creeks. The soil is mostly a clay loam.
Reading Centre P.O. situated in the center of the town of Reading, it contains 2 churches, 1 hotel, a store, several mechanic shops and 27 dwellings.
Irelandville (Reading P.O.) a hamlet in the south-east part of the town; contains 14 dwellings.
North Reading is a post office.
The Northern Railway of Pa. extends through this town, but with no station.
A settlement was begun at Reading Centre, by Judge John Dow (from Connecticut) in 1790. There are two churches in this town; Baptist and Methodist-Episcopal. David Culver settled near Reading Centre, in 1800, and Alexander Hinton near Irelandville and near Watkins in 1802. Wm. Eddy, Abner and Timothy Hurd, Simeon and Matthew Royce, Reuben Henderson, Andrew Boothe, Samuel Gustin, John Bruce and Samuel Shoemaker settled in a few years thereafter. About 1806, John and James Roberts, Daniel Shannon, Charles Fulkerson, Richard Lanning, George Plummer and Andrew McDowell settled in the town. Chester Corbett, who is still living in the town, settled there in 1813. The first marriage was that of Elisha Culver and Susan Diven / Divins; and the first birth was that of Minor Culver. The first school was taught by Ira Parker, at the Centre. David Culver kept the first inn, north of the Centre, and David Culver, jr., the first store at the same place. Elidia Parker erected the first sawmill. The first church (Bap.) was formed by elder John Goff, in 1810, at Reading Centre. The population in 1860 was 1,682.
Coal Point has grown up as a small village within a few years, it being the coal station of the "Morris Run Coal Co." and "Bloss Coal Co." It is 1.5 miles north from Watkins. A malthouse, brewery, hotel, foundry, and some of the finest buildings in Watkins, are included in the town of Reading.
Town of Tyrone, Schuyler co., NY
Tyrone was formed from Wayne, Steuben co. April 16, 1822. It is the northwest corner town in Schuyler county. Its surface is an elevated upland divided into several ridges by the valleys of the streams. Its principal stream is Mud Creek, flowing south-west to the Conhocton. Little Lake, upon the west border, is about 3 miles long and about 1 mile wide; and Mud Lake, in the south-west corner, is 2 miles long and about 3/4 miles wide. These lakes lie in deep valleys, and are bordered by steep precipitous hills which rise 300-400 feet above them.
Tyrone P.O. a little east of Mud Lake, in the south part of the town, contains 2 churches, a hotel, 1-2 gristmills, 2-3 sawmills, 4 tanneries, 6 stores, a cidermill, several manufactories, and 210-300 inhabitants.
Weston P.O., 3/4 mile northwest of Tyrone, contains 2 churches, a hotel, several stores and mechanic shops and 177-250 inhabitants (depending on source).
Altay P.O. a little east of the center of town, contains a church, a hotel, a store, a tannery, 2 sawmills, a steam flouring mills, and 144 inhabitants;
Wayne P.O. in the northwest corner of the town, at the head of Little Lake, has 3 churches, a hotel, store and 2 groceries. A small part of the village lies in Steuben co. Pop. 165.
Pine Grove P.O. a hamlet in the south-east part of the town of Tyrone; contains a church and six houses.
The first settlement was made in 1800, by Gen. Wm. Kernan, of Ireland, on a lot on a tract of 4,000 acres, purchased by Thomas O'Connor, of County Roscommon, Ireland. Mr. O'Connor was among the early settlers and resided for a time in a log house on a hill near Little Lake. He was accompanied by a son and daughter--the former of whom is Hon. Charles O'Connor, the eminent New York City lawyer. A large number of Irish emigrants settled upon the O'Connor Tract, but after a few years all left but Gen. Kernan. Abraham Fleet, Sr., from New Jersey, and Capt. John Seabring were among the first settlers near Tyrone Village in 1800; Benjamin Sackett, Thaddeus Gersham, Abraham Bennett and Jonathan Townsend settled about 1801. Simon Fleet was the first child born in town. The first school was taught at Tyrone Village by Hugh Jameson; the first inn was kept by Capt. Williams, and the first store by Thomas O'Connor, near the northwest corner of the town. The first mill and factory were erected at Tyrone Village by Ralph Opdyke. The first church edifice (Union) was erected by the Presbyterians and Baptists; Rev.Joseph Crawford (Presb.) and Rev. Van Rensselaer Wall (Bap.) were the first preachers. There are now (c.1872) 7 churches: 3 Bap., 2 Presb., and 2 M.E. The population of the town in 1865 was 2,073.