Otsego County Migrations
Otsego County Migrations

Bios of those migrating to other areas from Otsego County




James Alexander was born in Morris, OTSEGO county, in 1829. John Alexander, father of James, was born in Ireland, about 1795, came to America when a young man, and settled in Morris, Otsego county, where he spent his life. He engaged in harness making, which business he has always followed. He married Margaret McDole, of Ireland, by whom he had eight children: Margaret, Helena, William, Jane Ann, Matilda L., John, Emily, and James. After the father's death the family removed to Chenango county and purchased a farm. James Alexander was educated in New Berlin, Chenango county, and at fifteen years of age began life's battles for himself by learning the harness maker's trade, which he followed about sixteen years. In 1853 he came to Pulteney where he engaged in the same business until 1856, when he married Celia, daughter of Joel and Nancy (Folwell) Hyatt, and removed to his father-in-law's homestead, where he has since erected fine, large commodious buildings, and is one of the early fruit growers of this section; now he owns a ten-acre vineyard.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes, 1896

Contributed by Annette Campbell



Jennie Bardeen, was born September 17, 1846. Her father, Simeon Clark (son of Barnabas Clark-AC), was born in Genoa, Cayuga county, in 1820. He moved to Ohio, then returned east and settled in Howard, where he died June 21, 1873. He married Adaline Davy, who was born September 3, 1825. Jennie Bardeen was educated in Hornellsville and July 30, 1865, she married George Bardeen, who was born at Prattsburgh, August 11, 1834, and died February 1, 1892. He was a carpenter by trade, but followed farming as a business, and had a farm of 100 acres, located on Big Creek (Rt. 70a between Bath and Hornell-AC). His father, Lybbyna Bardeen (yes, it's spelled this way), was born in OTSEGO county, and came to Pratttsburgh, thence to Kanona, and from there he located on a farm at Big Creek. Mr. and Mrs. Bardeen had eight children; Minnie B., born November 26, 1866; Addie, born May 12, 1868; Myrtle born July 17, 1869 and died January 8, 1870; Lybbyna, born August 266, 1873; Earl, born April 14, 1875 and died June 12, 1876; DeAlton, born July 13, 1879; Leon, born September 25, 1881; and Glenn, born April 21, 1885. Mr. Bardeen's first wife was Eliza Leonard, by whom he had one child, William, who was born in Howard.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896. Submitted by Annette Campbell

NOTE: This is part of my family.



C. D. Barnard was born in OTSEGO county, in 1828, son of Frederick Barnard, and a brother of the late George A. Barnard. He remained on the home farm till he was married in 1855 to Mary Jane Gorton, a native of the town of Corning (Steuben County, NY-AC). He moved to his present place about five years later, and has been engaged in the saw mill and lumbering business connected with farming ever since. He has a farm of 200 acres, and makes a specialty of dairying. He has five children; F. E., who resides on the old Barnard homestead, Alice, wife of John Wellman, Emma, wife of John Griswold, Edgar and Lewis.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes, 1896

Contributed by Annette Campbell



G. F. Barnard---The late George A. Barnard was born in the town of Corning, . February 21, 1837. He was a son of Frederick Barnard, who came from OTSEGO county in October, 1832, locating in the town of Corning, just across the line from Caton. Frederick Barnard was born in Milford, Otsego county, in 1802, and married Lucy Wilcox, a native of Canaan, Litchfield CT, in 1824. He kept a country store at Jacksonville, Otsego county, before removing to Corning. He was the father of seven children, viz: Mary, Edwin W., Charles D., Melissa A., Gershom W., George A., and Egbert P. George A was raised on the old homestead, and in 1859 was married to Mary Westcott, who was born at Oxford, Chenango county, in 1834. She was the daughter of George Westcott, a native of Windham county, CT, who removed from Chanango county to Caton about 1838. In 1862, Mr. Barnard located on the farm where he lived until his death, and where Mrs. Barnard still resides. He was a prominent and influential farmer and lumberman. He died in 1886, leaving four children: Dora, George F., Guy, and Alfie, a son Delos W., having died in 1864, and a daughter Edna L., in 1876. They have eighty-seven acres of the home place, and follow general farming.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896. Submitted by Annette Campbell



Daniel Bates was born in the province of Quebec, September 19, 1817, son of Cyrus and Hannah (Webster) Bates, natives of Connecticut and New Hampshire, respectively. He died in OTSEGO county in 1840, and she in Woodhull, NY. Daniel Bates was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools, and has since followed farming and coopering. In 1853 (the same year his wife's father Joseph Northrup died-AC) he came to Steuben county, where he owns 119 acres of land. In 1843 he married Amy Northrup, by whom he had eight children, six of whom grew to maturity. His second wife was Harriet Church, by whom he had three children. The great grandfather was born on the ocean and lived to be 104 years of age.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896 Submitted by Annette Campbell

NOTE: I have more info on this family, including the Will of Joseph Northrup of 1853 listing all children.



Charles F. Baxter was born in Yates county, NY, son of Seth and Orpha Baxter, early settlers of Woodhull (Steuben Co, NY-AC), where they lived and died. Charles F. Baxter was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He was a farmer, and came to the farm Mrs. Baxter now owns, in 1847, where he lived until his death in 1879. In 1846 he married Amelia Jacobs, a native of Chautauqua county, NY, daughter of Leonard and Roxana (Butler) Jacobs, both natives of OTSEGO county, NY, who came to Woodhull in 1842, but spent the last thirty years of their life in Jasper, where he died January 3, 1888, aged eighty-three years, and she, December 28, 1882, aged eighty-one years. He was a farmer and carpenter by occupation.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896 Submitted by Annette Campbell



Daniel F. Brown was born in the town of Hartwick, OTSEGO County NY, October 9, 1821. He spent two years at the Troy Conference Academy at Poultney, VT., and afterwards spent two years at the Genesee Weslayan Seminary at Lima, NY. He came to Corning (Steuben County, NY) in 1846 and completed his legal course in the office of Hon. Thomas A. Johnson, and was admitted in 1850. He was commissioned first lieutenant in 1862 by Governor Morgan, and served as quartermaster of the 86th Regt. NY Vols, until the close of the war. He was appointed by President Johnson, in 1865, assistant collector of internal revenue for the fourth division of the twenty-seventh district of the state of New York, which office he held for nine years. He was the first police justice of the peace of the village, and the first recorder of the city of Corning. With the exception of the period spent in the war, he has practiced his profession in Corning since 1850.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes, 1896

Contributed by Annette Campbell



Charles S. Brownell was born in Bath (Steuben county), May 7, 1849. His father, Morton Brownell was a native of OTSEGO county, who came to Steuben county in 1814, and established one of the first hardware stores in Bath, being associated with Robert W. Church, and remained in the business for twenty-five years, when he retired. He married Cornelia, daughter of P. Ollendorf, of Otsego, and died in 1890, aged eight-five years. Charles S. was educated in Haverling Academy, and in 1864 he went to Buffalo and engaged in the drug business, thence to Hammondsport in 1869, where he engaged in the hardware business, and in 1879 he removed to Bath and continued the same business under the name C. S. Brownell & Co., carrying one of the largest stocks in Western New York. In 1868 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Capt. Saxton Bigelow, of Ashtabula, Ohio. Mr. Brownell is one of the leading business men of his town, conservative and upright in character, and has ever advanced the best interests of his town and county.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896. Submitted by Annette Campbell




Dr. TenEyck O. Burleson was born in Howard, Steuben Co, NY, July 21, 1854. Hiram B. Burleson, his father, was a native of the same town, and his grandfather, Russell Burleson, came to Steuben county in 1813, from Chenango county. The family were identified in OTSEGO county, and were among the pioneers of that town. Hiram B. Burleson was born in Howard, February 28, 1816, and he married Catherine, daughter of John Willis, and was identified as a farmer. T. O. Burleson was educated at Alfred University and graduated from Buffalo Medical Unicersity in 1880, and began practice at Pulteney NY, and in 1890 received the appointment as surgeon at the Soldiers and Sailors Home (now Veterans Administration Center-Bath, NY-AC). In 1886 he married Lilly M., a daughter of George Bennett of Pulteney. Mr. Burleson is one of the leading men of his profession, elected president of the Steuben Medical Society, and a member of the State Medical Society.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896. Submitted by Annette Campbell



William Carpenter was born in Oxford, Chenango county, NY, July 26, 1827, second of a family of ten children born to James and Elizabeth (Dodge) Carpenter. James was born in OTSEGO county in 1800, and Mrs Carpenter was born in Preston, Chenango county in 1802. The grandfather, Joseph Carpenter, spent his life in OTSEGO county where he died in 1808. The maternal grandfather, Peter Dodge, was born in Chenango county, and died in East Troupsburg (Steuben Co, NY-AC). James Carpenter was a farmer and came to East Troupsburg in 1831, where he died at the age of eighty-two years. His wife died at the age of thirty-nine years. William was reared on the farm and was educated in the district schools. He remained at home until he reached his majority, when he with his brother Willis, took up a farm of 100 acres in Troupsburg, which he soon sold and purchased another farm of 100 acres, where he lived for twelve years. He then bought and sold various farms until coming to Woodhull, where he owns a fine farm of 300 acres. The year 1876 was spent in Tioga county, PA. Mr. Caprenter lived on his farm at Woodhull until 1885, when he came to the village and now lives a retired life. In 1853 he was the poormaster in Troupsburg, 1858-59, highway commissioner, and in 1862, supervisor. He was supervisor of Woodhull in 1873, '74, '75, road commissioner in 1869, and justice of the peace for eight consecutive years. He has been trustee of the academy for nine years. November 19, 1856, he married Miriam Pease, by whom he had six daughters and one son; Susan, wife of J. Edwards; Huldah, wife of R. I. Symonds; Delphian, wife of E. Bats (Bates?-AC); Jennie, wife of William Cook; Lydia, wife of J. C. Husted; Jessie and W. G. Carpenter. On the 4th day of July, 1894, William Carpenter was chosen president of the day, and here is his opening speech. "Friends, we have met here today to celebrate the day that was created 117 years ago today. On the 4th of July, in the year 1776, my friends, we must ever revere. Our fathers took their muskets then to fight for freedom dear. We had Green, Gates and Putnam to manage in the field, a gallant train of heroes, who rather die than yield. Then you remember the battles which were fought; The battle of Bunker Hill, the battle of Lexington, the battle of Trenton, and finally the battle of Yorktown, where the American Independence was gained. 'Twas then and there the brave old soldiers said, "King George, we do not fear the rattling of your thunder nor lightning of your spear.' In a few months after that peace was declared, and we became a great nation. Friends, what do we see? Then we see the emigrants coming to our shores; they come from every nation; they come from every way; they come to the 'Land of the free and the home of the brave.' Then these emigrants; some go to the northward, some go to the southward, but the great majority go westward, westward the star of the Empire, the star of Liberty, until we have sixty-five millions of free and happy people. Friends, lest I weary you, in conclusion would say, I am proud of our country; I am proud of these old soldiers sitting here; I am proud of these gentlemen sitting at my right; and above all I am proud of that old flag; long may it wave. 'Long may it wave over the land of the free and the home of the brave.' We are a great nation, indeed who has a better right to celebrate?"---Com.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes, 1896

Contributed by Annette Campbell



John C. Casson was born in OTSEGO county, NY, and when a boy came to the town of Tuscarora (Steuben Co, NY-AC), with his parents, where he has since resided. Mr. Casson is one of the most enterprising citizens of his town, and also one of the wealthiest, owning considerable property by himself, and is also in partnership with his brother in real estate and in the manufacture of lumber. In politics he is an ardent Prohibishinist. He is unmarried and lives with his brother, Mordecai, who is mentioned elsewhere in this book. From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes, 1896

Contributed by Annette Campbell



Mordecai Casson was born in OTSEGO county, NY, August 27, 1839, son of Mordecai and Sarah Strongitharm Casson, he a native of Thorne, Yorkshire, England, born in October, 1802, and she of Butternuts OTSEGO county, NY. The grandfather of the subject was Mordecai, who was a native of Thorne, Yorkshire, England and a minister among the Friends, and his father was Mordecai, also a native of York. The family were of Welsh descent, and several generations lived in Yorkshire. Mordecai, the father of our subject, came to Chester county, PA, in 1832 and then removed to Otsego county, and in 1854 came to Tuscarora, where he died May 2, 1882. Mrs Casson died in October 1878. He was a farmer and owned 300 acres of land. He was always a member of the Friends (Quakers-AC). Mordecai was fourteen years old when his parents came to Steuben county, NY, where he has since resided. July 21, 1863, he enlisted in Co G 2nd NY Vol Cav, under Captain Sanford, and served until October 8, 1865. He was in the Red River Expedition with Banks, and was in a battle near Alexander, Pleasant Hill, LA, Cane River Crossing, Grandecore, and was engaged in the Mississippe raid under General Davidson, which started at Baton Rouge, LA, and terminated at Pasagoula Bay, MS. In the spring of 1865 he was in the expedition against Mobile from Pensacola FL. At the close of the war Mr. Casson returned to Tuscarora and he and his brother William took up 160 acres of land, and in 1882 the latter sold his share to Mordecai. In 1880 Mr.. Casson and his brother John engaged in the lumber business, and at the present time they own 410 acres, and are also in the lumber business. Mr Casson is a Republican and in 1875 was supervisor. He was educated at Price's Academy and Alfred University (Alfred, Allegany Co, NY-AC), and taught school several years. May 2, 1883, he married Helen Griswold of Southport, Chemung county. Her father was James Griswold who married Cynthia Tozer, and Mr. Griswold was buried on his ninety-first birthday. He was a member of the State militia, and was justice of the peace for fifty years. Mr. and Mrs. Casson are the parents of two children: James G. and Mordecai. Mr. Casson is a breeder of registered Shropshire sheep.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes, 1896

Contributed by Annette Campbell



Charles Comstock was born in Allegany County, NY on May 13, 1854, and was the son of Martin Luther Comstock, who was born in OTSEGO county, NY. He came to Allegany county in 1835, where he followed his trade of wagon and carriage builder. He married Naomi Adams of Vermont and they had ten children; Luisa, Thomas, James, Lillian, Frank, Nancy, Etta and Charles. Charles Comstock is a blacksmith by trade, and at present is the owner of two farms in the town of Hartsville (near Canisteo & Hornell NY-AC). He married Charity E., daughter of John Oaks of Hartsville, who was one of the first settlers in that town. Thwey had two children; Clara and Daniel. In politics, Mr. Comstock is a Republican.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896. Submitted by Annette Campbell



Eleazer T. Cone was born in the town of New Lisbon, OTSEGO county, NY, June 24, 1835, son of Naaman Cone, also a native of OTSEGO and a farmer. He came to Steuben county in 1852 and located in Hornellsville, conducting a saw mill and brick yard, and continuing in that business until the time if his death, which occurred October 29, 1855, at the age of fifty-four. He was poormaster at that time. Mrs. Cone's mother, Joanna Warner, was a native of OTSEGO county, and she died in 1858. Mr. and Mrs. Cone were parents of six children, five of whom are still living. Eleazer was given a good education, and was in business with his father at the time he came to Hornellsville. In 1861 he entered the employ of the Erie Railroad Company, and for two years was foreman of fence building on the Buffalo Division. The fall of 1862 he went into the shops and was engineer of the stationary engine. In 1873 he bought a farm of 125 acres on lot 11, which he uses for dairy purposes, grain and vegetables. He has erected many buildings and made improvements on the farm, which is now known as "Pleasant Valley" dairy farm. He is a Republican and has been trustee of District No. 5. In 1862 he married Mary E., daughter of Job and Rosilla Hanks Goff. Mr. Goff was also a native of OTSEGO county, coming to Goff's Mills in the town of Howard in 1812, and to Hornellsville in 1854. He died in 1886, eighty-two years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Cone have five children; Nellie A., wife of Fred W. McIntosh of this town; Burton E., who is an employee of McConnell's Mill in Hornellsville; N. Warner, who is on a farm in the town of Almond (Allegany County, NY-AC); Willard R., at home; and Fannie F., a teacher. From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896 Submitted by Annette Campbell. NOTE: There are many Goff's buried in the town of Howard, Steuben Co, NY.



Dr. Alexis H. Cruttenden was born in OTSEGO county, NY, February 22, 1822. His father, Lyman, was a native of Kinderhook, NY, born in 1793, son of Jeremiah Cruttenden, born in New Haven in 1767, who with his family in 1796 removed to Otsego county, as one of the first settlers of the old town of Butternuts, now known as Morris, where the subject of this notice was born. Lyman Cruttenden through life was identified as a farmer and mechanic, as was his father before him. He married Harriet Noble, daughter of Elnathan and Joannah (Bostic) Noble, a like pioneer from Connecticut. The family trace their descent through eight generations to Goodman (so called) Abram Cruttenden, the emigrant father of the Cruttenden family in this country, being one of the colonists (twenty-five in number as heads of families) who signed the famous Guilford Covenant, under the leadership of Rev. Henry Whitfield, from the town of Cranbrook, County of Kent, England, who purchased the site and settled the old town of Guilford, CT, in 1639. Dr. A. H. Cruttenden graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York City, in 1852, and practiced in Brooklyn for four years. In 1856 he came to Bath (Steuben County, NY-AC) and established his practice of medicine, covering a period of forty years in Steuben county. He early took rank as a surgeon, made the first ovariotomy in the founty, and serving as pension examining surgeon twenty-eight years. In 1853 he married Julia M. Stephenson, by whom he had four children, two of whom are living; Frank E., a practicing physician in Des Moines, Iowa and Mrs. Mary A. Percy of New York city. Mr. Cruttenden is a lover of the beautiful in nature and art, spends a large share of leisure time in the culture of fruit and flowers at his home residence and is one of the progressive men of his county, identified in advancing its best interests and in the leading events of the day.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896 Submitted by Annette Campbell



Daniel E. Dininny was born in the town of Oneonta, OTSEGO county, NY on November 6, 1824, son of Ferrill and Sarah (Bergett) Dininny, natives of Ireland and Schoharie county respectively. Mr. Dininny came to America in 1801 and worked in Stillwater. He married and settled in Otsego county and engaged in farming and lumbering. In 1833 he settled in Addison, now the town of Tuscarora (Steuben county NY-AC), where he died in May, 1871, and during the last twenty-eight years of his life he was blind. Mrs. Dininny died in 1836. He was in the War of 1812. Daniel E. learned the carpenter's trade, but when twenty years of age he engaged in farming, which has been his life's work. He has 200 acres of land and makes a specialty of tobacco growing. In 1850 he married Marietta, daughter of John and Catherine Young, by whom he had two children, O. H. and John E., who farm the home farm. Mr. Dininny has been highway commissioner a number of terms.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896 Submitted by Annette Campbell



Nahum Draper was born in Morris, OTSEGO county, NY, May 23, 1820, son of Benjamin and Olive (Pettingill) Draper, natives of Dutchess county, NY, and Massachusetts respectively. The grandfather, Ebenezer Draper, lived and died in Otsego county, NY. His father emigrated from England to Vermont, where he died. Benjamin Draper was in the War of 1812. He was a farmer and hotel keeper in Dutchess county. Nahum Draper was educated in the common schools. In 1866 he came to Rathbone, settling on the farm he now owns, which consists of 100 acres. He has served as constable. In 1845 he married Catherine O., daughter of Jacob Fults, and niece of Thurlow Weed's wife. They have had six childrenl Amos, Margaret, James H., Belle, George, and Seymour. Mr. and Mrs. Draper celebrated their golden wedding January 1, 1895, having company of about fifty of their relatives and friends.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896 Submitted by Annette Campbell



Samuel Easterbrooks of Painted Post was born in OTSEGO county in 1816 and came to his present farm in 1821 with his parents, William and Mary Amy Easterbrooks, natives of Rhode Island and New York. The parents died here in 1854. Mr. Easterbrooks has always resided here since 1821. In 1842 he married Catherine Stanton, who died the same year. In 1844 he married Polly Underwood, his present wife. They have two children, Edwin J. andSamuel M. Mr Easterbrooks has filled the offices of assessor and supervisor, the former office six years, the latter four years. He has the original home place of forty-nine acres, to which he has added eighty-nine acres.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896. Submitted by Annette Campbell



James H. France was born in OTSEGO county, NY on October 13, 1826, son of David H. and Eliza (Farquharson) France, he a native of Schoharie county and she of Cherry Valley, Otsego county, NY. The grandfather, Henry France, was captured by the Indians in Tryon county, NY, with his brother, John, who was killed, while Henry escaped; their father, Sebastian France, was a native of Germany, and one of the first settlers of Tryon county, where he died. David H., father of James H., went to Otsego county and then to Herkimer county, and in 1856 came to the town of Jasper (Steuben county-AC) and settled on the farm now owned by his son, where he lived until his death, which occurred October 26, 1883, while with his daughter in Canisteo. He was a local Methodist-Episcopal preacher. His wife died in 1845. James H. was reared on the farm and educated in the common schools, after which he engaged in farming, and in 1861 moved on to farm of 140 acres he now owns, and follows general farming. He is a member of the Jasper Grange. October 15, 1846, he married Charity Valkenburgh of Cherry Valley, Otsego county, NY, by whom he had six children: David, deceased; Willard, deceased; Abigail, deceased; Maggie, deceased; Jacob, deceased. Mrs. France died on March 20, 1866, and July 4, 1866, he married Lovina, daughter of George R. June, who settled in Jasper in 1832, where he died. Mr. and Mrs. France have three children: George R. of Belmont (Allegany county, NY-AC); Charles W., who was educated in Cook's Academy, Canisteo Academy, and Bryant & Stratton's Business College of Buffalo, and is now a farmer at home; In 1890 he married Bertha Lent of Jasper, NY; and Jason H., who was educated in the common schools, and is at home.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896. Submitted by Annette Campbell



Spelman L. Fults was born in Morris, OTSEGO county, NY, July 18, 1845. He was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools, and came to the town of Rathbone (Steuben county, NY-AC) when eleven years of age where he has since resided. He has always followed farming, and at present is engaged in pressing hay. He owns thirty acres of land in Rathbone. In 1869 he married Lucinda Smith, of Woodhull, who died in 1879. In December, 1881, he married Maggie, daughter of Michael and Johanna (Tomey) Conley, by whom he has one son, Nelson, born July 27, 1883.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896 Submitted by Annette Campbell



N. E. Genung was born in the town of Covington*, OTSEGO county, NY, in 1817, and is the eldest of eight children born to Azariah and Olive (Walker) Genung, both natives of Otsego county, he born in 1788 and she in 1796. The grandparents, Cornelius and Esther Genung came from Otsego to Milo, Yates county in 1818, where they died. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Azariah Genung was a wagonmaker by trade, but during the latter part of his life he followed the carpenter trade. In 1830 he settled in the village of Bradford (Steuben county, NY-AC), where he spent most of his life. He died in Waterloo, October 11, 1877, and Mrs. Genung in 1872. In religion they were Baptists. At the age of fifteen N. E. Genung commenced working at the carpenter's trade, at which he has been principally engaged, and in 1850 he bought a farm in Bradford, where he has since resided. In 1837 he married Sophia, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Leonard, and to them have been born thirteen children: Mary, deceased; Olive, deceased; Henry, who was a soldier in Co H 189th NY Vols and died August 6, 1865; Augusta; Sophia; Bradford; Henry L.; Frank; George; Ann; Nathan; and Richard, who died in infancy. Mrs. Genung died April 22, 1895. In politics Mr. Genung has been a Whig and a Republican.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896 Submitted by Annette Campbell

*We are not aware of a Covington in Otsego County, however this *is* how it is printed in the book. If anyone could shed some light on this would they please contact the webmaster.



Joel S. Goodsell was born in Kent, Litchfield county CT, September 7, 1816, son of Nathan and Polly (Hallock) Goodsell, he a native of Fairfield county, CT and she of Long Island; they had these children; Harmon, who was a merchant at Cold Spring, NY; Joseph, who went to Iowa and was killed in Chicago by an elevator; Nathan, who spent his latter days in CAYUGA county, NY; Eliza, who now lives in Port Byron, Cayuga county, her husband was Eli Sumner. Nathan Goodsell, father of Joel S., died in Connecticut. Joel S. was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. At twenty-two years of age he went to Cayuga county, and after several years he went to DELAWARE county. He has married three times; In 1838 he married Cynthia Hallock, by whom he had five children: Charles of Buffalo; John of Oneonta, OTSEGO county NY; Franklin, who died in Washington; these sons were in the civil war; Lorenzo of Woodhull (Steuben co, NY-AC); Fannie, deceased. He married second, Louisa Munger, of Delaware county and by whom he had two sons; J. Emmett of Meredith, Delaware county, and Wesley L., who was born in Laurens, Otsego county, NY, June 16, 1860, reared on a farm and educated in the common schools, and who married Cora B. Swan in 1887. From Delaware county Mr. Goodsell came to Oneonta, Otsego county, and where he now resides on his farm of ninety-one acres. His second wife died October 5, 1877, aged fifty-seven years and he married third, Asenath, daughter of John Marlatt of Jasper (Steuben county-AC).

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896. Submitted by Annette Campbell



Justin V. R. Higgins was born on a farm in the town of Hornellsville, December 29, 1854. His father was a native of OTSEGO county. When he came to Steuben county he located in the town of Howard and made his home there until about 1850. He then located on a farm on Pennsylvania Hill, where he spent the balance of his days, and died there in 1855. Justin was the youngest of a family of seven children, all living today. He was given a common school education amd remained with his mother on the old homestead farm until 1860. Mr. Higgins then bought the Ward farm of twenty acres, and later bought additional land and has increased the farm to 115 acres, on which he raises principally potatoes and grains. Mrs. Higgins died the spring of 1891. Justin was married in 1879 to Miss Mary Ellis, daughter of Albert Ellis of South Dansville. They have one child, Florence E., now in her fifteenth year. A son of his brother, John Ellis, Roy, forms a part of Mr. Higgin's family.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896. Submitted by Annette Campbell



O. W. Hinds was born at Exeter, OTSEGO County, NY on August 9, 1812. Lemuel Hinds, his father, was identified through life in Otsego county as a farmer, and married Olivia Henry, by whom he had twelve children, five of whom are now living. O. W., the oldest son, married Ruth, daughter of Elijah and Lucy Babcock, and in 1840 came to Steuben County and settled in the town of Cameron, where he bought 100 acres of land, of which he cleared up seventy acres and in 1869 he moved to the village of Bath. Mr. & Mrs. Hinds have four children: Almond, Freeman, Mrs. Marietta Gardiner and Mrs. Annette Negus. Mr. Hinds is one of the representative men of his town, serving as supervisor in 1862-64, also highway commissioner for the town of Cameron.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes, 1896

Contributed by Annette Campbell



George Hitchcock was born in Morris, OTSEGO county, in 1822. He was educated in the common schools of his native county, and in 1854 came to Bath (Steuben county, NY-AC), where he was engaged in the hardware trade. In 1859 he came to Corning and engaged in the merchantile business, which he followed for eleven years. He was president of the village in 1869, and has held the office of justice of the peace since 1872, and was police justice from 1872 until the adoption of the city charter, and has been connected with the Board of Education as trustee and secretary of the board from 1868 to the present time.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes, 1896

Contributed by Annette Campbell



Second Town Supervisor of Cuba, New York


Edward H. Johnson was born in Canaan, Conn., Jan. 23, 1798. In his boyhood he came to Spencerport, Columbia Co., New York, from thence to New Berlin, Chenango Co., New York where he lived for a while with an uncle. In 1819 he left his uncle to seek his fortune, traveling on foot to this part of the state then the far west. At Olean Point, he planned to earn some money by going down The Allegany river on a raft. Engaging to work till the flood came, he broke his leg which prevented his going down The river. As soon as he was able to walk, he made his way eastward over The state road, which was then but little more than a log road, arriving in due time at what is now Cuba.

With rare good judgment, in one so young, he purchased the farm about a mile south of the village, where, with his own hands he felled the first tree, and plying himself diligently soon had a small clearing opened and a comfortable little log cabin erected.

Returning to the east, he at Butternuts, Otsego county, New York, married Miss Patience Brownell. The smoke from the chimney of the little cabin in the woods, soon gave notice that the young couple had taken possession, and were keeping house. Of this union came one son, Chauncey who died at the age of sixteen. In May 1850, Mrs. Johnson died, and on February 16, 1851, he married Miss Harriet Ayers of Cuba, by whom he had one child, Mrs. Helen P. Wasson, wife of E. G. Wasson of this place (Cuba), who still retains the old farm of more than two hundred acres. Soon after the marriage of his daughter which occurred in 1864, he purchased a good home in the village, where ever after resided, his death occurring Nov. 4, 1880.

Mr. Johnson was one of the four first elected Justices in the town [Cuba] and a glance at the pages of this book will show him as active in town affairs, one whom the people looked to for counsel and advice. He was for years vice president of the Cuba National Bank, a consistent and devoted member of the local lodge of F. & A.M., senior warden of Christ Church, to the building of which he was a liberal contributor. He was commissioned quartermaster of The home regiment of state militia, by Gov. Wright. It was a matter of tradition that Mr. Johnson brought in his first seed potatoes form Olean on his back.

[Source: Civic History and Illustrated Progress of Cuba, Allegany Co., N.Y. 1822-1910, by John Stearns Minard, p. 50]



Andrew J. Newman was born in DELAWARE county, NY in 1835, son of Francis A. Newman, who was a native of Otsego county, whose father, Rev. Bishop A. Newman, was a prominent divine, and a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Francis A Newman, Jr., served in the War of 1812, and in 1816 married Miss Alger, and remained in OTSEGO county until 1819; there his wife died and left three children; Aseneth, Filinda and William; after which he married his second wife, Sarah Perhamas, by whom he had three children; John W., Peter, and Andrew J. In 1855 he came to Steuben county and settled in the town of Wayland near Loon Lake and engaged in farming. Peter first settled in Cohocton, where he engaged in the lumbering business, and later settled in Wallace. Andrew J. has been for many years an extensive buyer and shipper of live stock, having also extensive farming interests, and for twelve years he carried on a market in Hornellsville. In 1888 he settled in the western part of the town of Cohocton. For nearly thirty-seven years he has been an official member of the Loon Lake M. E. church, and for nineteen years superintendent of the Sunday school. He married Catherine Mehlenbacher, by whom he had five children; Mary (Mrs. Frank Small), Samuel W., Charles P., Gertrude and Floyd W.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896. Submitted by Annette Campbell



Cortland Owen is a son of John Owen who was born in OTSEGO county, of Welsh ancestry. When sixteen years of age, Cortland enlisted in Co K 86th NY Vols, serving two years. He was in the battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, and at the latter place was slightly wounded, taken prisoner and sent to Libby, but was paroled and exchanged after two weeks captivity. He was born at Cameron (Steuben co, NY-AC), in 1846. Two years later his father moved to Jasper and engaged in farming. In 1865 he purchased a saw mill and carried on a lumber business. Mr. Owen worked with his father until 1871, when he married Martha Harwood, and in 1872 he bought his father's lumber business with which he has been extensively engaged ever since. He came to Addison in 1886 and built a planing mill, which furnishes employment for several men, and is one of the important enterprises of the town. He has two children: George, born in 1872, and Ella, born in 1870.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896 Submitted by Annette Campbell



O.P. Robinson was born in OTSEGO county in 1847, and came to Corning (Steuben county, NY) when he was two years of age. He began clerking when fourteen years of age. About 1876, he founded his present business as dry-goods dealer. Mr. Gamman becoming a member of the firm in 1891. Mr. Robinson is one of the trustees of the school board. He married Mary L. Clark of Corning.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896 reprint 1892. Submitted by Annette Campbell



Walter G. Rose was born in Coventry, near Hartford, CT on October 2, 1814. Horace Rose, the father of Walter, was a native of Connecticut, born in 1788. He was a man of the best education and in his younger days was a teacher. In 1825 he moved to NY State and settled on a farm in the town of Hartwick, OTSEGO county, NY, where he made his home until the fall of 1844, when he brought his family to Steuben County and settled in the village of Hornellsville, and died here February 8, 1862. The mother of our subject, Marcia Edgerton, was born in Connecticut in 1789, and died in Hornellsville in 1875 at eighty-six years of age. To them six children were born, all of them gone but Walter. He was given a good common school education, and his first occupation was serving as an apprentice to the tinsmith trade. Three and a half years later when he was twenty-one he started as journeyman and was two and a half years at the bench. In 1838 he formed a co-partnership with his former employer in Hartwick, and was a member of the firm for four years. He then started for himself and conducted a dry-goods business til the emigration of the family to this county. April 9, 1845, he had his goods all here and ready to start in business, where his residence is now located. The business then was manufacturing of tinware and dealing in stoves, which gradually grew into the dealing in all classes of hardware and farming implements. The business increasing, in 1848 Mr. Rose removed to the north side of Main St. where the present place of business is. At that time there were but two stores on the north side of Main St., that of Charles Baldwin, a drug store and one dry-goods store. Mr. Rose has ever since been engaged in business in this city. He has occupied many positions of trust and honor in this town. He was a director of the Bank of Hornellsville and was nine years accessor and was five years supervisor of the town. About the close of the war Mr. Rose purchased thirteen acres of farm land on Canisteo street, which he opened up for village residences and erected twenty to twenty five buildings. The three beautiful residences on Main St. and the many stores of the village have been built by him. He was married in 1838 to Miss Glovina Olendorf of Hartwick, OTSEGO county, who is still spared to his partnership. The three children of this union are John R., a partner in the store, and Charles O., a manufacturer. Annie, the only daughter, was drowned in 1869.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" By Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896. Contributed by Annette Campbell



Norris Seeley, was born in Addison, NY, August 14, 1842, the eldest of three children born to Stephen and Sabra (Johnson) Seeley. Stephen Seeley was born December 22, 1816, in Oxford, Chenango county, NY. His wife was born June 2, 1822 in OTSEGO, NY. She died April 26, 1877. Stephen was the eldest of six children born to John and Susan (Wells) Seeley, natives of Connecticut and Massachusetts respectively. John Seeley settled at Oxford, where he died in 1839 and Mrs. Seeley in 1859. Stephen Seeley came to Troupsburg (Steuben county NY) in 1855, where he still resides on the farm, having retired from active business in 1879. Norris Seeley was reared on the farm and helped clear the farm he now owns. He has 117 acres and makes a specialty of hay and dairy products. In 1868 he married Lodema Griffith, who was born in OTSEGO county, August 25, 1847. She is a daughter of Lorenzo and Eliza (Moak) Griffith, natives of OTSEGO and Schoharie counties respectively. Mrs and Mrs. Seeley have three children; Stevia L., born October 13, 1872; Ida S., born March 15, 1875; and Cassie V., born July 2, 1889.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896 Submitted by Annette Campbell



Calvin Stid was born in DELAWARE county NY, November 26, 1817, son of Frederick and Lydia (Price) Stid, he a native of Delaware county, NY, and she of New Jersey, and they came to CAYUGA county, NY at an early date, and in 1854 located in Tuscarora (STEUBEN county-AC), where he died in 1855, and his wife in May, 1874. Calvin Stid was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools, and followed farming in Cayuga county until 1854, when he removed to Tuscarora and purchased a farm of 100 acres, where he now resides. He has added to this purchase until he now has 184 acres. In politics he is a Democrat. June 27, 1875, he married Elizabeth Newman, daughter of Archibald and Polly (Baxter) Manley. The grandfather of Mrs. Stid, George Manley, was one of the first settlers coming from England. The maternal grandfather of Mrs. Stid was William Baxter, who was born in OTSEGO county and came to Tuscarora at an early day, where he died. Archibald Manley died July 28, 1879, and his wife in December, 1871. To Mr. and Mrs. Calvin Stid have been born one daughter, Beatrice, who is the wife of Alfred Oakden, and they have two children; Leo S. and Luretta M.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896 Submitted by Annette Campbell



Philo K. Stoddard, M.D., whose English ancestor settled in Northampton, MA, was born in Jerusalem, Yates County, NY, September 28, 1825. His great-grandfather moved to Danbury, CT, and of his seven children, five sons were fit for military duty in the Revolutionary war, viz: Benjamin, Joel, Mosely, Cyrenus and Darius. Cyrenus served in that struggle, became a pensioner, married Candace Mix, and removed from Greene county to Cherry Valley, NY. His children were Sabra (married Vander Northrup and lived in Pulteney, Steuben County NY. Vander died in Andersonville Prison in Civil War-AC); Philo, Cyrus, Benjamin, Orra, Olive and Esther. Benjamin Stoddard, born in Cherry Valley in 1776, was the first settler in 1817 on lot 12 in Jerusalem, Yates Co, purchasing his farm for $6 per acre. He was a lieutenant and in 1828 a captain in the 103rd NY Inf militia, held several town offices, and died June 4, 1878. In 1818 he married Hannah Kelly, and their children were Chester, Survina, Charles, Philo K., Susan, Ann, Esther and Thomas F. Dr. Philo K. Stoddard was educated at the Franklin Academy and taught school seven terms. When Twenty-one he began the study of medicine with Dr. Elisha Doubleday, of Italy Hill, and later studied with Dr. Andrew D. Voorhees, of Prattsburgh, with whom he also learned dentistry. He attended lectures at Geneva Medical College in 1845-46 and was graduated as M.D. from Buffalo Medical College in June 1848. The same year he commenced his practice of his profession in Prattsburgh, where he has ever since followed medicine, surgery, and dentistry. After the battle od Second Bull Run he became a volunteer surgeon with the Union Army, was stationed for a time at Armory Square Hospital, D. C., and in September, 1883, was commissioned assistant surgeon in the 161st Regiment, in which he served until the close of the Rebellion. In 1875 Dr. Stoddard introduced the first thorobred Jersey cattle and in 1879 the first thorobred Holsteins into Prattsburgh. July 4, 1850, he married Sarah Jane, daughter of Sebastian Lewis, of that town, who died July 4, 1854, leaving one son, Philo L., who was educated at Franklin Academy, studied dentistry with his father, was graduated from the Philadelphia Dental College in March, 1882, and practiced in Prattsburgh and Geneseo until his death, Nov. 26, 1887. Sept. , 1856, Dr. P. K. Stoddard married Sarah, daughter of Albert Cowing, of Jerusalem NY, who died August 13, 1892. On Nov. 29, 1894, he married Mrs. Ella R. Crossman, daughter of Luther and Martha M. (Allen) Foster of Prattsburgh, who had one son, William F. Crossman born June 17, 1877 by her first marriage. Mr. & Mrs. Foster were natives of Yates county, where their parents were very early settlers, and in March, 1857, came to Prattsburgh, where both died, he on August 26, 1890, and she December 29, 1891. Their children were L. Myrvin, Ella R. (Mrs. P.K. Stoddard), Alice L. (Mrs. Samuel P. Cogswell), and Martha Anna, all of Prattsburgh.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896 Submitted by Annette Campbell



Jane"Jennie" Scott Thompson 1835-1914 Born in Cherry Valley,OTSEGO COUNTY, NY to Thomas I Thompson (1785-1869) and Deborah Scott, both natives of OTSEGO COUNTY. "Jenny" Left Cherry Valley for Illinois in her twenties to marry George Chapin Newton, a railroad man from Ohio (On line record of marriage, Marion Co,IL- 1864).

Married at 29,"Jenny" THOMPSON NEWTON lived in Centralia, IL for the first six years of the marriage. She had 4 children but only one survived beyond infancy. IL Census 1870 and Family bible belonging to a cousin testify to this. The census mentions husband + Jane(Jennie),one baby daughter and Ida Sutliff (age 19,not a relative). A Miss Sutliff from Big Rock, IA is present 25 yrs.later at the daughter"s wedding in 1895 in Waterloo,Black Hawk Co, IA (1895 IA newspaper article)
Jane became a widow in her fifties in Waterloo,IA. George had died in 1887.This did not end her traveling. She lived for a year in MA with her daughter, who was on a Wellesley college scholarship in 1889. Jane wrote a diary, now owned by a grandson, about her Massachusetts stay. Both returned to Waterloo,IA. Jane (Jennie) Thompson Newton moved to state of Washington where her married daughter Cora had moved. Family records not clear on exact year but a postcard indicates by 1910 she had lived there for quite a few years. Tacoma,Pierce Co,WA death records, 1914 -- Jennie passed away 10-18-1914, a whole continent's width away from her Cherry Valley birthplace in New York.

J.Slavens From Family Bible,family notes left in cousin's Bible,census records, marriage records.



Lazon S. Wood was born in Burlington, OTSEGO county, NY, Feb. 1, 1823, son of Thomas and Lucy (Cuttler) Wood, he a native of Rhode Island and she of Vermont, who came to Otsego county in an early day and came to Woodhull (Steuben Co, NY-AC) in 1831, where they settled on a farm now owned by Lazon S. He was a Whig in politics. Lazon S. was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He married Adeline Edwards, by whom he had two children; Melissa, deceased; and Thomas L., who married Estella Brown, by whom he has two children; Cassen and Vinnie. Mr. Wood has been a Whig, but is now a Republican, and has been highway commissioner of this town. He owns 100 acres of land, and his son also owns 100 acres, and they make a specialty of tobacco. Mr. Wood is a member of Restoration Lodge, No. 177, F. & A. M. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Co K, 86th NY Vols, and severed until April, 1862, and re-enlisted in Co H 161st NY Vols, and served three years. He was at Port Hudson, with Banks on the Red River expedition, Sabine Cross Roads, Pleasant Hill, at Fort Morgan, Mobile, Fort Blakely and Spanish Fort. He is a charter m,ember of J. N. Warner Post No. 565, G.A.R.

From "Landmarks of Steuben County" by Hon. Harlo Hakes 1896 Submitted by Annette Campbell