The Town of Gaines was formed from the Town of Ridgeway on
February 14, 1816. It is 9 miles across from east to west and 3-3/4 miles
across from north to south,. It is located in the center of Orleans County
just north of the Town of Albion. The Village of Albion's northern most part
is in the Town of Gaines. The 1st cemetery in Orleans County, Gaines Cemetery,
is located in the Hamlet of Gaines. The first burial was in 1812. Two Revolutionary
War soldiers are buried there; John Anderson born in 1757 and died 2 Nov 1827.
and David Bullard born 1759 and died 28 Jun 1831.
There are 3 hamlets: Gaines, Childs and Eagle Harbor.
Hours: M - T- W - F 8:30 - 2 pm, Thurs 3:30 - 7 pm
Vital Statistics records start in 1884
Open: Mother's Day - Columbus Day
Wed - Fri 11 - 5, Sat & Sun 1 - 5