"On January 12, 1842, the Jordan Academy was incorporated and soon afterward a building was erected. It maintained an active existence many years until the public school system of the State diverted educational interests into other channels, when it ceased its usefulness. On January 25, 1867, the Jordan Academy and Union Free School was incorporated with the old academy, the district having been formed in 1863 by the consolidation of districts 14, 16, and 17. The first Board of Education consisted of Harry Weed, president; John Dales, clerk; Alexander Van Vleck, M. T. Sperry, and George Garrick. The old academy property was acquired by act of the Legislature in 1875. The presidents of the board have been William Potter, A. F. Tracy, S. L. Rockwell, A. D. Lewis, J. W. Murray, and A. E. Brace, incumbent. The present school building was erected in 1890 at a cost of about $20,000, and contains a library of about 1,250 volumes, laboratory, cabinet, gymnasium, etc. The academic department is under the Board of Regents. Many graduates of Jordan Academy have attained prominence in professional and business life and in politics."
Submitted 30 June 1998
Updated 1 July 1998