Rock City: (Places)
prev TOC
Link to sales page


of Little Nine Partners


§9 Rock City

"A Hamlet in the Town of Milan"
R. A Davis



Rock City1 is a hamlet west of Milan village that had a grist mill, a saw mill and 20 houses in 1840. It was formerly called Travers Mill. The Post Office ran from 1835 to 1904.

That Name

The hamlet of Rock City2 lies in the western part of the town of Milan, and derives its name from the rocky nature of the surrounding soil.3



From Smith4
Huffman, R. A. V.
Hotel proprietor, owns two acres, b. in Rensselaer county in 1823, settled in this county in 1825; wife Josephine Ham, b. in Columbia county in 1842, m. 1862; children four. Father George N. Huffman, b. 1790; wife b. 1791.
Morehouse, Ezra L.
Deputy sheriff, b. Milan 1838, has been justice of peace and constable; wife Phoebe Thom, b. 1838, m. 14 Mar 1860; one daughter. Grandfather b. in Bridgeport, CT, came to this county in 1803.
Shoemaker, William E.
Vosburgh, Frank
Farmer, 86 acres, b. Red Hook 1851. Excise commissioner one term; wife Delia F. Stall, of Green Bush, m. 1873; children three. Father Martin Vosburgh, 1870; mother living with Charles in Stanford, ca. 82.


An 1882 history5 notes that Rock City...:
[...] contains a population of fifty-six, according to the census of 1880.

Henry D. Ostrum is the postmaster here, appointed fourteen years ago. He is the only merchant, succeeding Chancellor Wildey, who had previously conducted the business some four years.

A hotel is kept here by Ralph A. V. Hoffman, who has been in that business nearly fourteen years.

This place has also a saw and grist-mill — the property of John G. Schultz — the former run by David Tipple, the latter by William A. Coons, and a saw-mill conducted by Nicholas Eighmy.

A shoe-shop (Eli Feroe), and a blacksmith shop (Andrew J. Caroll), concludes the list of business places of the Hamlet.



(Click the << symbols to return to the text — or use your browser's BACK button.)
  1. << Wikipedia: Milan, New York [ref: 9/2012]
  2. << Smith, James H.; History of Dutchess County, New York; Syracuse, NY: D. Mason & Co. 1882; p. 215
  3. << Said the farmer after hitting a dozen rocks in the first hour of plowing: "This is a rock city!"
  4. << Smith, James H.; op cit p. xiv-xv
  5. << Smith, James H.; op cit p. 215

prev A Brief History of the Graham-Brush House TOC
Table of Contents
© Copyright 2007, 2014 All Rights Reserved
The Little Nine Partners Historical Society
P.O. Box 243
Pine Plains, NY 12567
Fri Jul 11 2014 at 11:12:49am
File: /Places/RockCity.htm
Electronic contacts:

Home page:

Free Web space provided by RootsWeb logo logo
([an error occurred while processing this directive])