Extracted from Beers, History of Greene County, by Annette
In former times, three hotels were kept on the Coxsackie and Greenville
Turnpike, which crosses the south-western part of the town.
The Noah Wheeler hotel, remained in the Wheeler family till 1840, when it was
purchased by Alfred Bouton, who continued the hotel business till 1847, when
it was sold to Charles T. Bouton, who in turn soon sold it to Isaac Travis,
when it was leased to others, and was continued as a hotel, except at short
intervals, till several years ago, when it was enlarged and converted into a
boarding house by Joseph Reynolds, whose widow still occupies it as such.
About 1830, Harry Wheeler, son of Noah, kept a hotel on the premises now
occupied by George Earl. This was afterward kept by Townsend Losee, and after
him came a Mr. Gedney, who soon after closed it as a hotel.
Tyler Cobb kept a hotel at Grapeville, in 1840, in the house now owned by
Isreal Palmer. This was run a few years as a hotel, when it was changed into a
The only hotels in the town at the present time are two in the village, owned
and conducted by W. H. Rowe and John L. Colvin, respectively.