Obituaries from the Windham Journal Main Page

Obituaries from the Windham Journal

From "History of Greene County, New York with Biographical Sketches of its Prominent Men " J.B. Beers, 1884

The first number of the Windham Journal made its appearance Saturday, March 21st 1857, under the management of W.R. Steele, editor and proprietor. In his salutatory  remarks Mr. Steele said: " After carefully figuring as to the positive amount of support that will be given by the citizens of Windham, exclusive of outsiders, and comparing our former support with it, we cannot for an instant doubt that a paper properly conducted will pay. The Journal will be published every Thursday morning, and will contain the latest news received by mail on Wednesday, condensed in such a manner as to give a variety of all foreign and domestic intelligence. On all political and sectarian questions the Journal shall be independent, binding itself to no political clique or faction. It will be devoted to literature, education, agriculture, wit and humor, foreign and domestic news, etc. We shall pay strict attention to all local matters and endeavor to place before our friends an interesting family paper."

The first paper was a neat 20 column paper, and was issued from the building owned and occupied by Potter & Newell. On the issue of the third number of the Journal there were 305 subscribers. June 25th, 1857, the Journal was enlarged and improved. July 9th, 1857, the Journal was enlarged to a 28 column paper, and also was printed with new type, on clear white paper. In 1859 the Journal had subscribers in every State in the Union except Arkansas, and the publisher claimed it had a circulation of 500 copies, more than any other paper in Greene Co. In May 1861, Mr. Steele sold the Journal to Berrien Fish, a graduate of the law department of the Albany University, and a son of Rev. John B. Fish, formerly of Windham.

In January 1865, Cicero C. Peck bought one-half interest in the Journal and from then till March 1866, it was published and edited by Fish & Peck. From March to October if the same year, Mr. Peck published the paper. In October 1866, Mr. Peck sold out to Eugene Raymond, who conducted the Journal till March 1867; then Edward M. Cole was associated with him. In February 1868, Mr. Cole retired, and Mr. Raymond continued its publication till May 1868, when he admitted as a partner Charles Woolhiser, who continued as such till April 1869, when he withdrew. In December 1869, Mr. Raymond disposed of one-half interest in the Journal to William Pavel, and from then till May 1870, the paper was published by Raymond and Pavel. In May 1870, Mr. Pavel sold his interest in the paper to Southmayd Reynolds, and the firm was styled Raymond and Reynolds till October 1870, when Mr. Raymond sold his part to John E. Hitchcock, and the Journal was published by Reynolds & Hitchcock till December 1871, when Mr, Reynolds on account of poor health, disposed of his interest to E.M. Cole, a former member of the Journal staff.  In March 1868 (should be 1878), Mr. Hitchcock retired, and Mr. Cole was sole proprietor to January 1st 1882, when , owing to ill health , he sold the Journal to Messrs. Peck & Cornell. October 19th 1882, Mr. Cole again bought the paper, and still (1884) conducts it. The Journal is published every Thursday at &1.50 per annum, and has a large circulation


Home            Table of Contents            Vital Records Home Page

Obituaries Home Page