Learn lots more about Franklinville by
following these links !
Death Records 1860-1894
Pardon T Jewell
Delos E Lyon
Searl and Storrs
Park Square and Fairs
Hotels and Inns
Brown Eagle Hotel
Businesses and Industry
West Park Square Drug Store
Churches and Buildings
The Miners Cabin
In the Public Trust
Mt Prospect Cemetery
Return to Franklinville page
By 1879 the following streets officially existed:
- East (now Chestnut)
- Spring (now Maple)
- West (now Elm)
- North (which would eventually be a part of NYS Route 16)
- Farmersville (now Pine)
- North Academy and South Academy
- Howard (which would become Cherry)
Now came the problem of lighting them.
That same year N. F. Weed & Co. charged the village $40.70 for
eighteen street lamps. It was then necessary to hire a lamplighter. He
began work on November 3, 1879, lighting them at sunset and extinguising
them at sunrise, at ten cents a lamp.
By 1884 there were 61 street lamps and it was costing $129 to have
them lighted for a six months period.
And, later, the advent of electric street lighting ....
The Chronicle, week ending August 24, 1893
"The new arc electric lights were turned on for the first time last
Friday evening and have worked to perfection ever since, furnishing our
streets with brilliant lights which are unexcelled in power in any place
in the state."
The monthly cost for the 16 street lights was $83.33 .
Does anyone have a street map from this time frame that we could add