Town of Franklinville Hotels and Taverns
  Town of Franklinville The Hotel Lester
 

Learn lots more about Franklinville by following these links !

 

Introduction
Early History
Death Records 1860-1894

Pioneers
Early Settlers
Joseph McClure
Pardon T Jewell
Marvin Older
Delos E Lyon
Curtis Brothers
Searl and Storrs
Doctors
William McNall


Park Square and Fairs
The Story
The Trial
The Wedding
Franklinville Fair
Bands

Postal History
Introduction
Post Office
Postmasters

Hotels and Inns
Globe Hotel
Hotel Lester
Bard Hotel
Brown Eagle Hotel

Businesses and Industry
Bartholomew's Pharmacy
West Park Square Drug Store
Quality Bakery
Cutlery Industry
Mercantile
Dairy Industry
Firehouse Liquors
Blount Plow

Churches and Buildings
Baptist
Other Churches
Presbyterian
Methodist Episcopal
Amusement Hall
The Miners Cabin

In the Public Trust
Newspapers
Chronicle-Journal
Fire Department
Mt Prospect Cemetery
Public Works

 

Return to Cattaraugus page

Return to Franklinville page

 

 

Following the era of the taverns in the countrysides, hotels within
villages really came into their own. Franklinville would have several
over the years but only one would have a long, long and very lively
history, with many successive owners or managers and be operated under
many names. It would be variously referred to as The Bard Hotel, The
Globe Hotel, The Hotel Lester and The Park Square Inn until destroyed by
fire in 1989.

According to The Chronicle for the week ending April 9, 1909 more
changes in the old hotel were about to occur.

"Will Nagle of Delevan has rented the bowling alley building
adjoining the Globe Hotel and will remove from it the bowling outfit,
and make it over into a billiard parlor and barber shop. Mr. Nagle is
well acquainted in Franklinville, where he has many friends made during
his employment in Farnham's barber shop."

On August 12, 1938 the Chronicle Journal reported the following:

HOTEL LESTER OPENS NEW DINING ROOM

"The Hotel Lester, formerly the Globe Hotel, opens its new dining
room Sunday, August 14, 1938. The newly finished dining room is located
at the west front corner of the hotel. It has been fitted with venetian
blinds, drapes, completely new equipment, new dishes, glassware and
silverware. Everything possible has been done to make this a fine place
to enjoy fine meals.
The new proprietor, Lester Swanson, is well known about the
village."

This article does not, of course, mention something which comes to
mind from personal memory. He had a little girl, whose name I do not
remember. She was not of robust health; therefore Lester Swanson
provided for her a little pony cart in which she was frequently seen to
be riding about the village.

Several families would own or operate the Hotel Lester during the
middle of the 20th Century and later; however, two families in
particular would own it who would influence the future course of
Franklinville's history.


The first family was the Lipperts - Jack and Jill - who owned and
ran the Hotel Lester from 1949 to 1958. For some of those years they
lived in the hotel with their several children. Jack and Jill Lippert
made numerous contributions to the Franklinville scene while they were
in business here, first as owners and operators of the hotel and later
as owners of Firehouse Liquors. The story of how Firehouse Liquors came
to be shows what a difference it makes when residents attend local
government meetings and share their ideas.

Raymond and Euphemia Dickinson owned the Hotel Lester (yet another
name) in Franklinville from 1965 to 1975. Ray also served as Supervisor
for the Town of Franklinville from 1982 until his resignation in the
fall of 1987.


The hotel passed from hand to hand after the ownership left the
Dickinsons and it eventually burned . At the time of the final fire the
name under which it was last operated was The Park Square Inn.
And so the grand old hotel, originally built in 1828, went the way
of the Brown Eagle Tavern.

See also article on Firehouse Liquors

 

Links Checked December 29th 2015 by W3C LinkChecker Page last modified: December 29th 2015
Links Checked December 29th 2015 by W3C LinkChecker Page last modified: December 29th 2015