Town of Franklinville
  The Town of Franklinville Fire Department
 

Learn lots more about Franklinville by following these links !

Introduction
Early History
Death Records 1860-1894

 

Pioneers
Early Settlers
Joseph McClure
Pardon T Jewell
Marvin Older
Delos E Lyon
Curtis Brothers
Searl and Storrs
Doctors
William McNall

Park Square and Fairs
The Story
The Trial
The Wedding
Franklinville Fair
Bands

Postal History
Introduction
Post Office
Postmasters

Hotels and Inns
Globe Hotel
Hotel Lester
Bard Hotel
Brown Eagle Hotel

Businesses and Industry
Bartholomew's Pharmacy
West Park Square Drug Store
Quality Bakery
Cutlery Industry
Mercantile
Dairy Industry
Firehouse Liquors
Blount Plow

Churches and Buildings
Baptist
Other Churches
Presbyterian
Methodist Episcopal
Amusement Hall
The Miners Cabin

In the Public Trust
Newspapers
Chronicle-Journal
Fire Department
Mt Prospect Cemetery
Public Works
Railroads

 

This information came from the files of Joie Wilson, formerly the Franklinville Town Historian and the section editor for Franklinville on the Cattaraugus County website.

If you have information about Franklinville, or have a question, contact Joie at [email protected]

Thanks, Joie !!

You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since January 29, 1999--

 

Return to Cattaraugus page

Return to Franklinville page


Until 1876 there was no organized company to fight a fire in
Franklinville nor any real equipment beyond a bucket brigade dedicated
to that purpose.

In June of 1876 the first company was organized. Their "engine"
was an 80 gallon Babcock Chemical engine which had cost $700. They
called themselves the Eagle Chemical Company #1.

The second company, organized in 1879, called itself The Alert Hook
& Ladder. They added a social dimension to their company by outfitting
rooms for a clubhouse over the Ferris & Ferris drugstore. By 1891 they
even had a piano!!

Union Fire Company organized itself in 1882, later changing its
name to Union Hose Company. This eventually spun off to the R. S.
Litchfield Hose Company in 1893.

Fire fighting equipment by then was being kept in the basement of
Morgan Hall.

In 1905 a new village hall and fire hall was built at the
northernmost end of west Park Square. Costing $3,000, it was, and is, a
two story red brick building. It not only housed the fire equipment on
the first floor, the rear of the building was used as the jail. Upstairs
were the firemen's club rooms and a dance hall.

The roof had a tower for drying fire hose. The fire bell, weighing
800 pounds and purchased in 1887 was also installed up there. It was
only used for three years before the village approved the use of the
fire whistle system and gong which the Franklinville Telephone Company
installed.

The Fire Hall would remain in use for sixty one years, until
finally both the Fire Hall and the lockup were deemed to be inadequate,
and a movement began which would result eventually in the construction
of the new Municipal Building on North Main Street.