Town of Franklinville
  The Town of Franklinville Early Pioneers

Learn lots more about Franklinville by following these links !


Early History
Death Records 1860-1894

Early Settlers
Joseph McClure
Pardon T Jewell
Marvin Older
Delos E Lyon
Curtis Brothers
Searl and Storrs
William McNall

Park Square and Fairs
The Story
The Trial
The Wedding
Franklinville Fair

Postal History
Post Office

Hotels and Inns
Globe Hotel
Hotel Lester
Bard Hotel
Brown Eagle Hotel

Businesses and Industry
Bartholomew's Pharmacy
West Park Square Drug Store
Quality Bakery
Cutlery Industry
Dairy Industry
Firehouse Liquors
Blount Plow

Churches and Buildings
Other Churches
Methodist Episcopal
Amusement Hall
The Miners Cabin

In the Public Trust
Fire Department
Mt Prospect Cemetery
Public Works

This information came from the files of Joie Wilson, formerly the Franklinville Town Historian and the section editor for Franklinville on the Cattaraugus County website.

If you have information about Franklinville, or have a question, contact Joie at [email protected]

Thanks, Joie !!

You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since January 29, 1999--


Return to Cattaraugus page

Return to Franklinville page

photog.gif (2516 bytes)

Solomon and Azor Curtis


In this log cabin were born to Solomon and Sarah Curtis four sons.
These brothers would grow up, two to be among our early distinguished
and respected local citizens, the other two to leave their mark on our
national history.

Rensselaer Curtis was born February 9, 1818. He also married and
raised a family and, when he died in 1896 at the age of 77, his obituary
contained the following comment: "Here lies all that can die of the
noblest work of God - an honest man."

Azor and James Curtis lived somewhat more adventure filled lives;
they answered the call to arms for the Civil War.

In 1861 Azor enlisted in Company B 89th N. Y. Volunteers and began
his career as a soldier. We do not know when James entered the
service; however we do know he was the first from this township to
enlist, that he attained a Captaincy, and that his brother Azor was his
first Lieutenant.

Azor was in Burnside's Division and was in the attack on Roanoke
Island and many other North Carolina battles. At Antietam he was
wounded when a rifle ball cut the heel cord of one foot. He lay on the
battlefield for a day and a night before he was picked up and carried to
a hospital. This caused him to be discharged for disability in 1863.
At home he kept up the recruitment for Company A of the 188th N. Y.
Volunteers on behalf of his brother.

Azor managed to re-enter the service and was once again wounded. This time it was a lesser wound, inflicted at the second battle of Hatcher's Run. His company was one of those at the front and advancing in attack at Appomattox Court House when the flag of truce bearing Lee's surrender was sent forward.

Both brothers were present at the surrender and their regiment was
given the honor of receiving the captured arms from the rebels.
Azor then came home, while James continued to serve. His health
never strong again, Azor worked in Pennsylvania oil fields, and at
carpentering here in this village.

Never having married, Azor lived alone in rented rooms ........ and
one day was found dead in those rooms.Of this lonely death of a man who had given so much was said the following in his obituary: "It is sad indeed that his last days could not have been more pleasant, especially for one who did so much 'for love of country' ."

On the site where the log cabin in which these brothers were born
once stood, would later rise ..... and fall ... the Methodist Episcopal
, as you have already read.