Learn lots more about Franklinville by
following these links !
Death Records 1860-1894
Pardon T Jewell
Delos E Lyon
Searl and Storrs
Park Square and Fairs
Hotels and Inns
Brown Eagle Hotel
Businesses and Industry
West Park Square Drug Store
Churches and Buildings
The Miners Cabin
In the Public Trust
Mt Prospect Cemetery
This information came from the files of Joie Wilson, formerly the Franklinville Town
Historian and the section editor for Franklinville on the Cattaraugus County website.
If you have information about Franklinville, or have a question,
contact Joie at [email protected]
Thanks, Joie !!
You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since January 29, 1999--
Return to Franklinville page
Methodist, Roman Catholic,
Episcopal and Christian Scientist
The first Sunday school in Cattaraugus appears to have been
conducted by a young woman in what would become Franklinville. In the summer of 1821 a
young school marm was teaching in the district school (a log house) just north of the
settlement. She came to the decision that the children of the community should be
attending Sunday School. No one in the area, except for her, had ever attended a Sunday
It happened that she was a Methodist while the other settlers were
of various other creeds. They all came, however, at her invitation, and brought their
children, partly out of curiosity and partly to keep their children from falling under the
influence of another religion. The young woman sensed the tension in the gathered assembly
on that first Sunday and recognized its source. Therefore, at the appointed hour, she rose
to her feet and invited anyone present to invoke the Word of God in
prayer. Not one person responded. And so she bowed her head and said
"Let us pray". All those present complied and no objection was raised
The Sunday School became an accepted and well attended ritual.
The Free Methodist congregation originally organized in the East
Hill schoolhouse in 1863. In 1875-76 they built a church on South Main Street.
St. Philomena's Roman Catholic original church was built in 1875 at
a cost of $2,300 on a lot adjoining the Free Methodist Church in the
village. St. Philomena's congregation built a new church in 1964; although
it had actually been in use since Christmas of 1964, a formal dedication
was held May 16, 1965. The resident priest at the time was the Rev.
Henry J. Romanowski. When he died some years later he was buried in the
flowerbed by the statue in front of the church. The following description of the new
church is quoted from a clipping found in the Blount Library:
"The contemporary structure framed in steel arches and paneled in
redwood, has a stained glass cross, mullioned in redwood, spanning its
facade. Stained glass windows, the Stations of the Cross, and the statue
of St. Philomena were executed by Larry Griffis, Buffalo artist. The
statue stands in the center of a circular drive in front of the church.
It is made of welded low alloy steel, a new material with a limited
oxydation feature. Also completed in the parish building program is the
bick rectory, at the left of the church which stands at the end of
Mr. Griffis of Buffalo is the creator of Griffis Sculpture Park at
St. Barnabas Mission of the Episcopal Diocese organized in the
early 1890s. In 1912 the Mission rooms were in the C. W. Phillips block
on Elm Street. In later years they met in members' homes. It would be
1957 before the congregation of St. Barnabas would be able to build
their fine church which now stands on the northeast corner of the
intersection of North Main Street (NYS Route 16) and Green Street.
Christian Scientists in 1912 were holding regular services in their
rooms at 8 1/2 South Main St. (NYS Route 16).