Learn lots more about Franklinville by
following these links !
Death Records 1860-1894
Pardon T Jewell
Delos E Lyon
Searl and Storrs
Park Square and Fairs
Hotels and Inns
Brown Eagle Hotel
Businesses and Industry
West Park Square Drug Store
Churches and Buildings
The Miners Cabin
In the Public Trust
Mt Prospect Cemetery
This information came from the files of Joie Wilson, formerly the Franklinville Town
Historian and the section editor for Franklinville on the Cattaraugus County website.
If you have information about Franklinville, or have a question,
contact Joie at [email protected]
Thanks, Joie !!
You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since January 29, 1999--
Return to Franklinville page
Following the era of the taverns in the countrysides, hotels
villages really came into their own. Franklinville would have several
over the years but only one would have a long, long and very lively
history, with many successive owners or managers and be operated under
many names. It would be variously referred to as The Bard Hotel, The
Globe Hotel, The Hotel Lester and The Park Square Inn until destroyed by
fire in 1989.
Again, it appear, although it is not documented, that the original
two story building which housed the hotel was built by John Patterson in
1828. Its location was on North Park Square and at the time apparently
the real estate on which it was built covered all the land from North
Main Street (Route 16 North) to what is now Pine Street. This original
hotel property was apparently a complex, encompassing several things,
including a livery stable. Much later the property located closest to
North Main Street would be dedicated to other uses.
It is thought that Robert Bard came into possession of the hotel in
1829 through a trade made with John Patterson for property owned by Bard
in Farmersville. Under Mr. Bard's ownership it became the Bard Hotel.
Sometime after 1831 a third story was added to the original frame
Matthew George purchased the hotel in 1846.
In 1869 the hotel was in the possession of a Mrs. Benedict (later
to be Mrs. David Copeland) and it is she who sold it to the Woodworths.
As evidenced by the following quotation from a newspaper, the
Woodworths still owned the hotel in 1890.
The Chronicle, week ending Thursday, June 19, 1890
"For the third time within a week an alarm of fire was sounded at
9:20 o'clock last Saturday evening, when the large barn adjoining the
Globe Hotel was found to be in flames. The alarm was responded to
promptly by the department and in less time than it takes to tell it the
firemen were at work. The burning building was an old one which has
stood for years and the flames spread upward and outward with alarming
rapidity. On the one side it was connected with the hall and hotel,
while at the rear was another barn, with several smaller buildings on
the west side, all forming a network for the flames through to the large
residences of Mr. Adams & Mr. Copeland on North Main Street.
As soon as the fire was discovered men and boys rushed in from all
sides and endeavored to lead out the animals in the barns but the flames
spread so quickly that but little could be accomplished in this line, so
attention was turned to saving the adjoining property. As the fire grew
fiercer the destruction of the entire block seemed imminent, and the
work of clearing out the Globe Hotel and the neighboring houses was
Meanwile, not slowly but surely the flames ate their way along, and
the firemen made one united and determined effort to stay their
progress. With this in view a bucket line was formed up onto the roof
of the hall and while the Union company were doing telling service in
wetting the building within and withot, the bucket line was
accomplishing inestimable things on the roof. And the plan proved
successful. After the flames had been placed under control, it was a
matter of wonderment to all how it was done. But much effective work
had been done and as a result the threatened property was saved. Within
an hour from the time the fire was discovered the flames had spent their
fury and as they slowly quieted down the firemen saw themselves
conquerers in one of the fiercest battles with the fire element they
have had in years. If they had not been successful in staying the flames
at this point it is the merest conjecture as to where the destruction of
property would have ended. Certain it is that if the hotel itself had
once caught fire the residences on North Main Street, as well as the
store buildings across Pine Street would probably have gone with it.
The termination of this fire was most fortunate and too much praise
cannot be given the firemen and citizens who labored so unceasingly to
overcome the flames.
The Globe Hotel was all torn up and the loss by damage to the
furniture and fixtures will be quite heavy. Mr. Woodworth is having the
house resettled as fast as is practicable but it will be some days
before things will be in running order again. As to the origin of the
fire nothing is known. The stable boy had been in the barn only fifteen
minutes before the fire was discovered and at that time everything
seemed to be all right. By many the fire is thought to be of incendiary
origin but the true facts of the case will probably never be known.
Three horses were burned, but Mr. Woodworth's most valuable ones were
The loss on the two hotel barns and the other property is estimated
at $3,000 which is only partially covered by an insurance of $450.
After the firemen had secured control of the flames and found time
to rest, they were confronted with a genuine, kind hearted surprise
prepared for them by some of the town ladies. A bounteous supply of
refreshments, with lemonade, tea and coffee, was prepared and that the
plan was a practical one and one that met with the hearty encouragement
of the firemen is proved by the way in which they performed their part
in disposing of the viands. It was a generous, appropriate and kind
hearted plan on the part of the ladies and they had the satisfaction of
knowing that their efforts were sincerely appreciated by the firemen."
This was the first instance of what is now routinely done by the
members of the Firemen's Auxiliary.