Town of Franklinville
  The Town of Franklinville Amusement Halls

Learn lots more about Franklinville by following these links !

Early History
Death Records 1860-1894


Early Settlers
Joseph McClure
Pardon T Jewell
Marvin Older
Delos E Lyon
Curtis Brothers
Searl and Storrs
William McNall

Park Square and Fairs
The Story
The Trial
The Wedding
Franklinville Fair

Postal History
Post Office

Hotels and Inns
Globe Hotel
Hotel Lester
Bard Hotel
Brown Eagle Hotel

Businesses and Industry
Bartholomew's Pharmacy
West Park Square Drug Store
Quality Bakery
Cutlery Industry
Dairy Industry
Firehouse Liquors
Blount Plow

Churches and Buildings
Other Churches
Methodist Episcopal
Morgan (Town) Hall
Amusement Hall
The Miners Cabin

In the Public Trust
Fire Department
Mt Prospect Cemetery
Public Works


This information came from the files of Joie Wilson, formerly the Franklinville Town Historian and the section editor for Franklinville on the Cattaraugus County website.

If you have information about Franklinville, or have a question, contact Joie at [email protected]

Thanks, Joie !!

You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since January 29, 1999--


Return to Cattaraugus page

Return to Franklinville page

Churches originally provided the only real basis for social life
in Franklinville. Later there was entertainment in private homes, most
often associated with the celebration of birthdays, weddings or other
ritual occasions.

The building of Morgan Hall as a town hall, which also contained an
auditorium for public use, then brought light opera companies to
Franklinville, providing the first out of home entertainment for the
community. By the turn of the century there were actually two movie
houses, the Gem and the Adelphi, showing silent films. All of these
things provided for passive entertainment. Not until 1910 would a
place be built expressly for amusement, including an activity requiring
physical participation .... and even then it had a practical side as
well. Unbridled frivolity certainly had not been the order of the day.

In 1910 plans were announced for the building of an Amusement Hall.
It was to contain a roller skating rink, convention hall, moving picture
theatre, bowling alley, public comfort rooms, a gymnasium on the second
floor... the first floor would be a 'hitching in" stable and a garage
for automobiles.

The building of this was accomplished and it was enjoyed for a long
time. Many more details about this are available if you are really

Times changed as the years went by, taking from the building many
of its useful aspects. For example, the increased popularity of the
automobile as a total replacement for transportation by horse did away
with the need for the hitch barn part of the operation. The downstairs
eventually housed a farm implement business ..... it too was later
phased out. The last viable remaining use of the building disappeared
sometime at the end of the 1960s with the closing of the skating rink.

Over all those years many a young man had pursued many a young lady to
the tune of the music for The Kentucky Steal.

The years went by and the huge old building fell more and more into
a state of disrepair. Finally, in 1993, the Village of Franklinville
condemned it.

On October 25, 1993 dismantling of the building was actually begun
with the gradual removal of the siding. Next the brick chimney was
taken down .... and eventually nothing remained but a vacant lot.