COMMUNITIES IN THE TOWN OF ALEXANDRIA
REDWOOD: REDWOOD GLASS TIME LINE
Presented through the generosity of its author, Shirley Carpenter of Clayton and Butterfield Lake..
1831 -- Glass factory established in Redford, New York
1832 -- John Foster leaves Redford Glass Factory
1833 -- John Foster comes to Jamesville which he renames Redwood. Erects first glass factory in the summer of this year. On September 30 the first glass was made.
1834 -- John Foster dies. Future of Redwood glass uncertain.
1835 -- Factory run successfully by Schmauss & Co., Gerlach & Son, Ingleson, Forbes & Co., and H. S. White
1844 -- Redwood Glass Factory taken over by DeZeng & Co. from the Clyde Glass Factory
1853 -- Stock company made up mostly of residents of Redwood, calling themselves the Redwood Glass Manufacturing Co., with a capital of $12,000 operated the plant. This company employed about 30 men and produced about $40,000 worth of glass annually. The glass was sorted into qualities as follows, beginning with the best: Patent, 1st, Patent, Lake, Cylinder, Boston
1859 -- W. W. Butterfield assumes control of the Redwood Glass Factory
1863 -- Mr. Butterfield buys up all the stock and operates the factory alone for five years
1868 -- Factory burns to the ground and the ruins lie idle for 11 years
1875 -- Railroad is extended to Redwood
1880 -- W. W. Butterfield rebuilds the factory, but the market had shifted and the more efficient methods of manufacture found in other regions closed the door in Redwood's face.
1881 -- Last glass was blown in August of this year, slightly less than 50 years from the crude beginning made by John Foster
~~ * * * ~~
For other articles on the history of glass making in Redwood, visit
REDWOOD: THE HISTORY OF REDWOOD GLASS
REDWOOD: DEPAU BACKED REDWOOD GLASS FACTORY
If you have additional information, pictures, comments, or suggestions, please contact:
You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since May 15, 2001--
Last Revision :Tuesday, 11-Sep-2018 00:49:42 MDT
Return to Town of Alexandria Index Page
Return toCommunity Index Page
Return toRedwood Index Page
This site is generously
Hosted by RootsWeb
nonprofit research site is a USGenNet
CertifiedSafe-Site™ and affiliate of the American
Local History Network, Inc. (ALHN). Web hosting is generously provided by Rootsweb.
This site makes no claim to the copyrights of individual
submitters, and is in full compliance with USGenNet's Conditions of Use.
[Jefferson County ALHN]
© Nan Dixon, 2001