| || |
|Community||Years||Type of holdings|
|Advocate Harbour||1839 - 1890|| |
(First Baptist Church)
|1844 - present|
|Amherst Shore||1890 - 1907|
|Diligent River||1857 - 1923|
|Five Islands and Economy||1888 - 1912|
|Little River||1849 - 1945|
Acadia Mines UBC
|1903 - 1926||
|Parrsborro||1891 - 1966|| |
incl. historical sketch (1859-1959)
|Pugwash||1869 - 1921|
|River Hebert||1844 - 1991|
|Sackville, N.B.||1808 - 1883||
|Springhill||1883 - 1952|| |
|Wentworth||1838 - 1973|
|Westbrook||1851 - 1968|
|Westchester||1818 - 1958|| |
Church of the Nazarene
There once existed Nazarene congreations at Amherst, Oxford, and Springhill (est. 1921). The Amherst and Springhill Churches closed many years ago and a few records from those churches are available at the Canada Atlantic District Office in Moncton, New Brunswick. The Oxford Church "has been going for nearly 100 years" and any records are still held by that local Church.
The National Office of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada in Mississauga, Ontario, maintains an Archives Division but they do not hold any vital records. These are still retained by the local churches. There are currently active churches at Oxford and Parrsborro.
All records of genealogical value are retained by the local churches. It is not clear what happens to the records when a local church ceases to exist; the Presyterian Archives and Records Committee in Toronto hold no genealogical records for Cumberland county.
The following Presbyterian churches have been identified:
|Springhill||St. David's, est. 1875|
|Amherst||Name Unknown, Closed ca. 1930|
PANS has microfilm copies of all available Roman Catholic church records for Cumberland county. Neither the Halifax Archdiocese archives nor the local Parishes have any more pre-1910 records.
Between 1886 and 1888, the Salvation Army established Corps in the Cumberland County towns of Amherst, Oxford (closed 1892), Parrsboro (closed 1956), and Springhill Mines. Unfortunately, no records of any genealogical value are available, other than lists of the local officers.
The George Scott Railton Heritage Centre in Toronto holds the Amherst Corps History Book (ca. 1925-1978) and a selection of photographs.
Despite the significant numbers of Universalists in Cumberland county during the nineteenth century, especially in the Minudie area, no original records have survived. There are, however, numerous secondary sources detailing the history of the church and the involvement of Amos Seaman.
Last Modified: April 30, 1999