POINT Chapter 15 Meeting - August 2, 2003

POINTers In Person
Chapter 15
Northern New Jersey

P.O. Box 636
Totowa, New Jersey



Pursuing Our Italian Names Together

August 2, 2003

 
Albert Marotta (#1018)

The Northern New Jersey chapter of POINTers In Person  met on August 2, 2003, at the Elmwood Park Municipal Building.  Twenty-three people attended.

Maria Carparelli (#2100) opened the meeting by informing members that Annita Zalenski (#39) was attending a family reunion and therefore was not present.

Al Marotta (#1018) mentioned that, according to a local Italian-American newspaper, the Italian Vice-Consulate in Newark might close and its functions would then be transferred to the Consolato Generale D’Italia in New York City.   The Consolato Generale D’Italia on Park Avenue in New York City is organizing a Museum of the Italian Emigration Heritage.  See http://www.italconsulnyc.org for details.  Also, Al alerted members that, since June, the Research Branches of the New York Public Library have been requiring researchers to obtain a free photo identification Access Card from the library.  This Access Card will be necessary if patrons want the library staff to retrieve for them any material from the closed stacks.  Other research institutions have been using this method for years. See http://www.nypl.org for more information.

Sue Laurita (#4405) told members that Coro d’Italia and some parishioners of St. Lucy Church in Newark are acquiring and organizing material for its new museum.  The displays will feature items from this “Little Italy” section of Newark as well as other items of interest concerning Italian heritage.  Anyone interested in lending them any material or in helping them to organize this museum can see http://www.ditalia.org or contact coroescuola@cs.com .

Marie Androski encouraged members to use the Local History and Genealogical Library
of the Passaic County Historical Society, located in Lambert Castle on Garret Mountain in Paterson.
The library has County Histories, City Directories for Paterson (1857-1968), Church and Cemetery Records, Bible Records, Special Collections, etc.  The castle was built in 1892 and overlooked the silk mills of Walter and Catholina Lambert.  It was sold to the City of Paterson in 1925 and in 1934 the museum and historical society began.  See https://sites.rootsweb.com/~njpchsgc/  for details.

Maryanne Graham (#3654)  presented the treasurer’s report.  The chapter has 89 members; 55 of them have kept their dues current.

Finally, members broke into informal groups and tried to help one another solve genealogical problems.

 Future meetings will be held on:
                      November 1, 2003
                      February 7, 2004
                      May 1, 2004
                      August 7, 2004
                      November 6, 2004

For more information,  see our website: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~njpoint/

 
Previous Meeting Report
Home
Next Meeting Report

E-mail POINTers Chapter 15