Monmouth County New Jersey Genealogy
If you have any books or CDs on Monmouth County or have access to cemeteries, churches, court houses, etc., and are willing to volunteer to do lookups, I would be delighted to hear from you. Please see the USGenWeb FAQ page on Copyrights. ThanksWrite here to volunteer!
Guidelines when requesting a look-up:
- Click on the title of the book and it will give you the appropriate mail form.
- Put MONMOUTH LOOKUP in caps as subject of message. This will ensure that your request is not accidentally overlooked or deleted. There's so much mail on the Internet, sometimes important things get lost.
- Put the name of book or place where you are requesting the lookup in the first line of the message. Many volunteers help with more than one and need to know what you are looking for in order to help you successsfully.
- Limit your request to 1 or 2 specific names.
Asking for ALL the marriages on a surname of Brown, Jones or Smith will probably be ignored or request denied.
- Remember - the Resource person is a volunteer, and is doing you a favor. Please treat them with respect and patience.
List of resources available for look-ups:
- Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of the Third Congressional District of New Jersey, Comprising Middlesex, Monmouth and Somerset Counties together with An Historical Sketch of Each County. Edited by Samuel T. Wiley, 1896
- Genealogy of the Family of Longstreet by Edward Mayes. Details what life was like in the early Dutch settlements.
- History of Monmouth County, New Jersey, by Franklin Ellis, 1885
- A Longstreet Family History, by R.J. Longstreet
- New Jersey Marriage Records 1665-1800, by William Nelson, 1900
- THE HAVENS FAMILY IN NJ, With Additional Notes On The TILTON, FIELDER, HANCE, OSBORN, DAVISON, COX, and GIFFORD FAMILIES, By Henry C. Havens. Copyright 1933 by Henry C. Havens.
The Story of Middletown by Ernest Mandeville, Pub. by Christ Church, Middletown, NJ.
- "The Leek Family of Southern New Jersey", by Helen Leek Mack, published by the Gloucester County Historical Society, Woodbury, New Jersey. This book concentrates on the descendants of Phillip Leek who settled in New Jersey as early as 1715. Common names included are Leek, Mathis, Cramer, Cavileer, Adams, Allen, Sears and Sooy.
- SYMMES History of Old Tenent Church- LOOKUP NO LONGER AVAILABLE...ALOT OF NEED HERE SO...IF YOU HAVE A COPY...?
Calendar of Wills, Vol 1 1670-1730 parts 1 & 2
- Monmouth County 1790 Freeholders List
- Marriages of Monmouth County, NJ, 1795-1843, Gibson, 1981
- Roster of the People of Revolutionary Monmouth County, Adelberg,1997
George Joynson is offering Lookups of Holmdel Cemetery, Holmdel,NJ
- Census lookup page
- John is offering to help your Middletown research.
- CD#240, New Jersey Marriage Index, 1680-1900
- "The History of Monmouth County New Jersey 1664 -1920" , 3 book set, Historical Biographical Illustrated. 1922 Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York and Chicago.
- Lookups in Old Tennent Cemetery, and allied cemeteries listed in the book "History of Old Tennent Church." Apparently is online at www.genealogylibrary.com
- "Genealogy of the Megill Family of Monmouth County, NJ"from the compiler of the MeGill Genealogy!
- Long Branch, The Garden Spot of the State, 1909 HAs many names.
- Entertaining A Nation, 1940
- "A Genealogical and Historical Account of the Descendants of Henry Tucker", by George H. Tucker, M.D., 1851.
- NEW!Book of the Dead of Monmouth, compiled by George Castor Martin,
1915-1916, Martin & Allardyce, Asbury Park, N.J.
- Early Dutch Settlers of Monmouth County, N.J., George C. Beekman, 1974
reprint, Polyanthos, New Orleans, LA.
- Historical Collections of the State of N.J., containing a general
collection of the most interesting facts, traditions, biographical sketches, anecdotes, etc. relating to its history and antiquties, with
geographical descriptions of every township in the state, by John W. Barber and Henry Howe, 1995 reprint, Clearfield Company, Inc.,
- This Old Monmouth of Hours, History, Tradition, Biography, Genealogy,
and other Anecdotes Related to Monmouth County, N.J., William S. Hornor,
1990, 1999 reprint, Clearfield Company, Inc., Baltimore, MD.
- The Van Vorhees Family, vol. 1, the first four generations, published by
the Van Voorhees Association, 1984.
- NEW! Salter's History of Monmouth and Ocean County
- NEW! Symmes' History of Old Tennent Church
- NEW! Monmouth County telephone directory, 1943
- NEW! The cemetery historian for Christ Church in Shrewsbury, Trevor Kirkpatrick is generously offering lookups for the cemetery as well as the church records. Mr. Kirkpatrick also has a set of Stillwell's Historical and Genealogical Misc., Ellis's History of Monmouth County and Beekman's Early Dutch Settlers.
This page is maintained for the NJAHGP by
Richard and Kathleen Pettys
Please report any errors so that they may be corrected. Thanks
Copyright 2003 NJMonmouth County