The Craven - Nixon Cemetery - Franklin Township, New Jersey
"View of Craven - Nixon Cemetery from Route 579."
The following description is taken from "HISTORY OF HUNTERDON AND SOMERSET COUNTIES NEW JERSEY" by J. P. Snell; 1881
The next oldest burying-ground [in Franklin Township] is the one opposite J. L. Nixon's, formerly known as Craven's. It was deeded to the Society of Friends by Daniel Doughty, son of Jacob Doughty, by convenyance bearing date September 20, 1764. It is therein described as "the lot known as the graveyard," showing that it had previously been used as a place of burial. It was then bounded north, south and west by lands of Samuel McFerson. The eastern boundary was a line running in the middle of the Trenton road. The Friends, who still hold the deed for it, opened it to the public, making it, of course, free to all. Their object, it is said, was to prevent their own graveyard at Quakertown from being crowded with the remains of those not in sympathy with their society.
The oldest inscription, rudely chiseled on rough stone, reads thus:
"The Samuel McFerson monument, July 2006, sadly lying atop a heap of miscellaneous old headstones and footstones."
"Each stone is a small token of a single life lived, inevitably to be forgotten with the passage of time."
"Another view of Craven - Nixon Cemetery".
"Many of the burials at Craven - Nixon are marked with crude fieldstones, bearing no inscription".
Additional information about the Craven - Nixon Cemetery may be found in "FACTS AND FANTASIES OF FRANKLIN" by J. P. Stout; 1995
Back To "West Hunterdon County" Main Page