New Hampshire

Old Graveyard Association

September 11, 2004

NHOGA President Arthur Jillette opened with the business meeting.

Recording Secretary, Joan Casarotto, read the Secretary's report for the July 10, 2004 meeting. The minutes were approved as read.

Discussion was held about legislation to clarify some current laws pertaining to the care of graveyards and the control of abandoned graveyards.

Treasurer, Jean Mertinooke, read the Treasurer's report, which was filed for audit.

Clark Bagnall read Corresponding Secretary Richard Maloon's report about correspondence received concerning Mildred Shaw and the Tin Corner Cemetery in Tilton.

Richard Alperin asked if we had a list of individuals in charge of each town's cemeteries. Clark suggested he contact New Hampshire Cemetery Association and was given the address.

The new handbook is ready for a last review before publication.

Earle Jenkins, Chairman of Trinity Cemetery Trustees, spoke about Trinity cemetery which is next to the Trinity Church. He displayed a large map of the cemetery showing each lot with the name of each owner on it. The church was erected in 1797 by Samuel Livermore with his own money on his own land. In 1854 Arthur Livermore, Jr. deeded the property to the Churchyard Cemetery Association. The cemetery is on 12 acres and has 730 lots. From 1797-1854 there is no information on how lots were provided to families. Samuel Livermore's wife was the first one to die and be buried in the cemetery in 1802. Samuel Livermore was a noteworthy person and held several N.H. state postions. He was born in 1732 and died in 1803.

The first cemetery lot sold was #317 in November 1876 for $10. Today it costs $1500 for a lot. Care of the cemetery has been a problem. In 1890 the first fundraising project raised $750 and a fence was built. Silas Pearl, founder of Plymouth State University, is buried there. In the 1980's burial sites along the edge were added and there are only six left. The Trinity Cemetery Trustees now do fundraising to help with maintenance expenses. The lot records used to be kept on file cards, now records are kept in a database.

Barry Barrella then spoke about churches. This church is on the National Register of Historic Places. Old churches were also meeting houses and only the Episcopal churches did not include meeting houses. Until 1797 Livermore held church services in his home. The first minister was Robert Fowle. Before the Revolution Samuel Livermore was a judge. In 1776 he was appointed New Hampshire Attorney General. From 1782-1790 he was New Hampshire's Chief Justice. In 1788 he was pivotal in encouraging NH to become the ninth state to approve the US Constitution. From 1789-1793 he was appointed one of NH's first Congressmen. From 1793-1801 he was US Senator. Livermore's house burned in late 1800's. Holderness was chartered in 1761. In 1868 Ashland broke from Holderness.

After lunch we drove to the Trinity Cemetery and explored the cemetery and Trinity Church.

Respectfully submitted,

Joan A. Casarotto, Recording Secretary