Home< Northfield

Northfield Township


The community of Hampden is in Northfield Township.


This GNRR town site was founded in 1903 in NE1/4 Sec. 4-158-62, Northfield Twp., and soon absorbed most of the nearby town site of Northfield, whose post office moved here on July 15, 1903 with Joseph A. Elliott pm.  The Northfield name was disliked by GNRR officials because of confusion with Northfield, MN.  Some say the name honors Frank Hampden, a pioneer settler in the area, while others say it was named for a John Hampden.  The elevation is 1569, the Zip Code is 58338, and the village, which incorporated in 1917 and became a city in 1968, reached a peak population of 222 in 1930.
-taken from North Dakota Place Names by Douglas A. Wick

Information taken from the Hampden Centennial 1904-2004 website

Photos of Hampden

Hampden, near the north edge of Ramsey County, was first known as Northfield.  The first settlers entered this section in the late 1890's, most of them in 1898, coming from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, and one W.P. Faulk from Virginia.  Even though it was about twenty miles from the nearest railroad at Edmore, a good sized village sprang up.  Lew Barnes owned the land on which that town was located.  Mrs. John Carroll built a hotel in 1898 and Ole Korsmoe added a small grocery store.  Joseph Elliot put a drug counter in the store.

Supplies for Northfield were hauled from Edmore by dray operated by Herman Simon and Gus Schonauer.  The dray also transported passengers and the mail as well as lumber and whatever was needed.  Other business establishments were soon added- a machine shop, Arthur Elliott; blacksmith shop, D.A. Taylor; machinery, Chas Nickols; general store, Boe Co.; hardware, Ole Johnson; livery, Chas. Code; hardware and furniture, Dave Minnis; billiard parlor, James Dolan; general store, Dahlen and Asplen; and another general store, Peter Norum.

Northfield was a thriving village even without a railroad.  There were two banks.  Roberston opened one in 1903.  At the same time Swarthout and Burdick established another, the Northfield State Bank.  A physician, Dr. Morrison, opened an office.  Northfield had more business places than many railroad towns have today.

While the town was getting started, the people knew the railroad would be extended from Edmore.  It so happened that when land was surveyed for the track, it by-passed Northfield, which at that time was just south of the present site of Hampden.  George Haugen had homesteaded the NE 1/4 of Section 4, township 158, range 62, where Hampden now stands.  He sold to the Great Northern Railroad Company January 9, 1901.  The railroad company then deeded the site to Northfield Village, which included the Haugen quarter to F.H. Stoltz, of the Werner and Stoltz Company, January 21, 1901.  It was not until 1904 that the village was moved to the new location.

The Fourth of July was celebrated in grand style that year.  A special feature was bronco riding by Carl Dickenson.

Northfield had been named by settlers from Northfield, Minnesota.  The story is told that mail was often confused with mail meant for Northfield, Minnesota, so it was feasible to change the name- to Hampden.  Another story was told of a man who came into a restaurant and asked for a sandwich, either beef or pork.  Since they had neither, he said, "gimme ham den." (authentic?)  It must have been a "moving" experience for those who had begun business and yet the advent of the railroad was an advancement.  Mr. Herman Simon, Mr. Gus Schonauer, and a Mr. Penner were the ones who did the actual moving.  Allie McDougal tells of how his father helped in this work.  Mr. John McDougal came with his family from Park River.

Hampden, though fast growing, was not incorporated until 1917. 

The Crawford and Moore store were moved, together with eighteen other businesses.  Others added were Werner and Stoltz, Robertson, the Redlake and Nels Hawkinson lumber yards; Adams and Swarthout livery; Wilson and Litscher drug store; Shipley and Son Real Estate; M.A. Knudson, Hardware; F.A. Woodward barber shop; The Farmers State Bank established by Adams Hanna (owned by B. Landmark).  The first residence was built by A.E. Swarthout, now owned by Pearl Aanstad.  Dr. A.K. Blair opened an office.

The first passenger train reached Hampden in December 1904. McCabe Brothers (with W.N. Brown as manager) built the first elevator.  Before that, grain was weighed on the street and then loaded into cars  The Ames elevator burned soon after being built, but soon others were added so the town had an adequate number.

It was not always an easy life.  Though the early settlers did not encounter Indians as in many parts of the state, there were hardships.  Long, hard winters were not always pleasant; roads were trails, there were crop failures, grasshoppers, droughts, fluctuation of prices to mention a few of the experiences.  There was no complaining on the part of the settlers.  They were pioneers and an enthusiastic group.  The worked hard and things flourished.  However, not all was work.  There was a good social life.  In winter, parties were held in the homes- those which had 3 or 4 rooms (not all had that many).  The whole family went.  Children fell asleep on beds or in the corner on coats.  All awakened for the midnight repast of sandwiches, cake and cookies.  In summer, families gathered for picnics.  A picnic meant good fried chicken and potato salad- yes, even without refrigeration.  There was no mayonnaise; dressing for salads was home-cooked.  No one got sick from the food unless perhaps they ate too much.  Also, gatherings were in town, which usually meant a ball game and what was a ball game without a couple of Howes brothers?

Fourth of July celebrations were always exciting, especially for the children.  Home made ice cream was made in the hand-turned freezer.  Ice was procured for the ice house.  This had been cut in late winter and packed in flax straw and would keep until out in the summer.  There would be lemonade- no pop in those days.  Children enjoyed all of this.  They usually had a dime or quarter to spend.  Sometimes it was money they had earned by picking potato bugs, doing chores for the parents or even picking mustard in the fields.  They could not earn money baby-sitting - that was unheard of.  Children went with the parents or they all stayed home, that is until children were old enough to stay alone.  Families did things together.

Home talent plays became popular.  These were held in the Morton Hall (later the Fisher Hall).  This was also the place for all entertainments: school programs, church programs, basket socials, dances and other parties.

Many things must seem strange to our young folks.  For instance, Dr. R.A. Ogilvie came from Edmore once a week, having an office in the Carroll Hotel.  He pulled many aching teeth, filled cavities, etc.  When he discontinued this service, his patients went to Edmore to have dental work done - between trains.  The fare was 31 of 32 cents.  Many of the portraits in this book were taken in the Camfield studio.  Many confirmation classes and other groups had pictures taken in this studio, going to Edmore by train.  Dr. A.M. Wold came once or twice a month to test eyes and fit glasses.

Dr. Craig, a veterinarian, was a permanent resident, working for many years.  He and his wife built the house which was purchased by the Iver Iverson family when they retired from farming.  It is now the home of Mrs. Nellie Wolf.  Dr. Craig was succeeded by Dr. G.N. Campbell.  He married Lillian McDougal, daughter of John McDougal.  He had moved here with his family from Park River.  The McDougal family consisted of several children: Edward, Allie, Willie, Emma, Lillian, Harriet, and Harriet's twin sister (deceased).

Dr. A.K. Blair was a typical country doctor.  He had his office over the Litscher drug store and later in his residence which is now owned by F. Lunde.  Dr. Blair was accredited with saving many lives during the influenza epidemic of 1918.  He was ably assisted by his wife who was a nurse.  She was on the scene when people needed food and other supplies.  Herman Simon used to "drive" the doctor in winter and no doubt in summer, too, before the automobiles.

It was perhaps Otto Shipley who had the first car (a Reo?) in town.  He could go at least 25 miles an hour, when roads were good.  Good roads meant it had not rained for a day or two.  Mr. Shipley ordered and erected a pre-cut house from Sears Roebuck.  It is now the home of LaVonne and Dean Boatman.  Many people have lived there through the years, but the Boatman's bought it from Mrs. Thressa Stone.

So we have tried to give you a little insight into the lives of early settlers.  People coming back do not recongize the community as the one they knew.  In Northfield very few are living on the original "home place."  There are four:  Howard Skaar, Larry Knoke, Mrs. Raymond Mackey and sons, and Thomas O'Brien.  There are several descendents of "Grandma" Neidlinger who came from Indiana with her family which included Lou, Oscar, Ira, Edward, Harry, and Catherine Strong.

North of Hampden are a few more:  Mr. and Mrs. Melvin Larson, Soren Iverson, Robert Iverson, Myrtle Flott Johnson (Arthur Johnsons), Mrs. Edith Dahl and Arvid Bergren.  Mr. and Mrs. Carl Mortenson are the ones living in town of those who resided here when they moved in.

The greatest change in the town took place in 1976.  At that time many buildings on Main Street were razed and a Mini-Mall was built on the north side of the street.  Grand Opening ceremonies were observed April 30, 1977.  The slogan was "Watch Hampden Grow."

Those who return or are here at the 100th Anniversary may see even more changes.

Hampden will go on -  even after 75 years.

taken from the Edmore newspaper: Dec 7, 1995
(from a column called "Seventy Years Ago", typed as written, with mistakes and misspellings from original copy)

Delores Litscher, of Hampden, has taken enough interest in her "home town" to inquire into its early history and as a result the independent carried the results of her efforts in its last issue.  As it contains many names and incidents familiar to Edmore folks, it should be of interest here as well.  Miss Litscher says:

In 1898 the first settlers came here and filed on land, those who spent the first winter here were John McDougall, James White, Amsey Woodcock, Sonnteman, Ole Iverson, Walter Sadlemyer, Pearle Vanderhof, Fred Barteau and Grandma Neidlinger.

Lew Barnes owned the quarter that Northfield was built on.  Mrs. Carroll's building was the first building in Northfield.  Ole Kosmoe came next and started a small grocery store; Art Elliott built the first town hall where they had church and Rev. Egge was the minister.  Later on he changed it into an implement store, and W. D. Van Bergen owned the stock and Art Elliot ran the business for him.  This store at the present time is the Berg store.

Between 1898 and 1903 grew to be a quite a village.  The people doing the business then were John Carroll who had a hotel; James Dolan ran a billiard parlor; Blonede had the printing office and newspaper; Burdick and Robertson had a bank which opened in 1903; Dahven and Asplen had a general store; Leo Bolster had a hardware store; P. Norum had a general store; J. A. Elliot had a drug store; Dr. Morrison was physician; Swarthont and Rosholt opened the Northfield State Bank; W. S. Bergen, farm implements; John Foley, restaurant; Carl Storele, meat market; W. M. Boe, general store; Charles E. Code owned the livery stable; Ole Johnson had a hardware and furniture store; David Mennis, blacksmith shop and D. A. Taylor had a blacksmith shop.

The mail at this time was got at Martin Mortinson's in Storlie township.

They had a celebration in Northfield on July 4, 1903, the main character being Carl Dickenson riding broncos.

All the supplies they needed in Northfield they hauled from Edmore, Gus Schinor doing the hauling.

The present village of Hampden is located on the north one-half of section 4, township 158, range 62.  The northeast quarter was homesteaded by George Haugen, who gave up the U. S. patent to the Great Northern railroad on January 9, 1901.

The G. N. railroad then deeded the present site to F. H. Stoltze on January 21, 1901, and the village of Northfield moved up in 1903.  The first house was E. R. Swarthout's.  Oct. 10. 1903, the first building was moved up to Hampden, it being the Crawford and More general store which is now the Farmers bank building.  18 buildings were moved up form Northfield.

The first passenger train came in December 1904.

Between 1903 and 1904 more business places started up.  Some of them were F. H. Stoltz lumber yard, Robertson lumber yard, Adams and Swarthout livery stable, McGuer built part of the Waade building where a hotel was run for a short time.  The Lutheran church was built in 1904.  Dr. Blair also came in the fall of 1903.  F. A. Woodard, barber and the Farmer's Bank stood on the lot where Paulson's now live.  Adam Hanna and B. Landmark owned the bank.  Wilson's and Arneson Drug store, J. J. Litscher, manager.  This was the first new business building in Hampden.

Most of the residents of Northfield moved up but others sold out and went away.  The children at this time went to a little school on the Magenus place which is now the W. P. Wolf farm; later on they went to a little school near the J. McDougall's place.  In the spring of 1905 the Presbyterian church was built and was used for a school.  The present school was built in 1908.

McCabe brothers elevator was the first one built; W. M. Brown was its manager.  Up to this time the grain was weighed on the street and put into cars and shipped away.  The following elevators were built later: Winter Truesdal Ames Company.  It burned and they bought the Monarch Paul and Rusly.

Hampden was lucky because it had just two fires; they were both elevators.

We have always had good crops up to 1925, the present time, and Hampden has always been a prosperous town.  We now have cement sidewalks everywhere, also electric lights, and our school has an enrollment of over a hundred pupils.

Township Map 1956

Township Map 1959

Township Map 1964

Churches and Cemeteries

Hampden Church History

The oldest of the churches is the Zoar Free Lutheran.  It was organized in 1902 but even before that time, services were held in various homes.  Records show that a Christmas Festival was held in the Carroll Hotel, which included the entire community.  A collection was taken amounting to $34 and presented to the serving pastor, J.O. Arvig.  This first church was erected on lots now owned by Ron Sager.  It was moved closer in when lots were purchased from Joe Schonauer.  The house on the lots were moved to the Alfred Olson farm southeast of Hampden.

Pastors serving during the years have been J.O. Arvig, 1902; N. Harveland, 1903; Ludvig Pederson, 1901; G. Nordberg, 1910; L. Laurhammer, 1915; George Larson, 1925; J. Hjelmeland, 1927; Morris Eggen, 1930; Sigurd Berg, 1938; L. Rasmussen, 1944; H. Tollefson, 1950; G. Amundson, 1957; Lay-pastor Quanrud; Roger Strom; Pastor H. Kjos, 1967; Hubert DeBoer, 1973; Ray Larson, (deceased August 1974); Kenneth Heppner, 1974; Wesley Langaas, 1975 to present (1979).

The Presbyterians held services in a hall built by Arthur Elliott.  A few terms of school were held in the building, too, with Mary Goldsbury (mother of Tom O’Brien and Eva Johnson).  The hall was rebuilt and purchased by the Methodist church which was organized with Rex Nesbet as minister, J.F. Loehre, president; A.C. Davis, secretary.  The last remodeling of the church was in 1974, and church conducted for the first time in February.

Church records of Zoar Free Lutheran church show that the congregation was organized in April 1902.  However, several years prior to that date, services were held in pioneers’ homes that were scattered out over the prairies.

The first Christmas program was held in the Lars Dahl sod house, which was a very large house for one of that type.  The next year the Christmas festival was held in the Mrs. Carroll hotel with a large crowd in attendance.  The Christmas offering of $34.75 was presented to the pastor.  It was Pastor J.O. Arvig who served these pioneer people.  He had bee a pastor at Adrian, Minnesota, when he felt the urge to pioneer with the word of God to the wilds of North Dakota.

In 1899, although these people were not organized into a regular congregation, the usual ministerial services were conducted.  In 1902 a group of people decided to organize their own congregation, call their own pastor whom it was decided should be from the Lutheran Free Church.  A constitution was drawn up and the following officers elected: president, Iver Iverson; secretary, Martin Marinson; treasurer, Tobias Bjorland; trustees: Farlo Olson, Lars Dahl and Tobias Bjorland; deacons: Mr. and Mrs. Iver Iverson and Dioren Iverson.  There were three people confirmed and one wedding held in 1902.

In the fall of 1903 the congregation vetured forth on a building project.  The railroad had not arrived at Hampden at this time so all the church lumber was hauled by team from Edmore.  A plot of land was given by Mr. Stoltz, who owned the town site.  Carpenters were hired although men of the congregation did much of the work of constructing the church building.  Many town people, although not members of the congregation donated both money and material.  The total bill for the new church including labor, hardware, lumber, insurance and altar furniture, was $2,537.67, although the bill was not paid in full until 1906. In 1940 the church was moved to its present location and remodeled.  Colored windows were placed and pews were installed.  Since that year there have been various remodelings done.

The Zoar Free Lutheran congregation has grown.  Its various organizations have been active and prospered throughout the years under the leadership of its pastors.  Pastors serving this congregation are: J.O. Arvig 1902; N.L. Harveland 1903-1909; Ludwig Peterson 1909-1910; G.D. Norberg 1910-1914;P.O. Laurhammer 1915-1925; George Larson 1925-1926; John Hjelmeland 1927-1929; Morris Eggen 1930-1937; Sigurd Berg 1938-1943; Lawrence Rasmussen 1944-1950; H.J. Tollefson 1950-1957; George Amundson 1957-1964; Intern Roy Quanrud 1965; Intern Roger Strom 1966; Howard Kjos 1967-1972; Hubert DeBoer 1973; Raymond Larson January 1974-August 1974; Kenneth Heppner 1974-1975; Welsey Langacs 1975-1980; Ragene Hodnefield 1981-1982.

The Presbyterians held services in a hall built by Arthur Elliott.  A few terms of school were held in the building, too, with Mary Goldsbury (mother of Tom O’Brien and Eva Johnson) as the teacher.  The hall was rebuilt and purchased by Methodist Church which was organized with Rev. Nesbet as minister; J.F. Loehre, President; A.C. Davis, Secretary.  The last remodeling of the church was in 1974 and church was conducted for the first time in February.

Pastors serving have been:  W.E. Dudley; T.S. Brown; A.L. Pardee 1914; H.F. Midrif, 1917; Joseph Chester 1918; G. Bateman 1919; G.N. Harvey 1920; C.T. Ensign 1920; M.D. Lower 1922; W. Dodge 1923; A.L. Gamble 1924; J.R. Wenrich 1925; Frank Rumer 1930; F. Forster 1935; Charles Kepler 1935; George Muzzey 1948; W.E. McCod 1949; R.E. Ritter 1950; Virgil Holmes 1954; W.J. Huntley 1962; Donald Goold 1967; Frances Kinzler 1974; J. Sue Kana 1979.

We regret there are no early records of this worthy organization, an arm of the Zoar Free Lutheran Church.  In writing the history in 1952 the Ackre sisters (Ida and Annie) remember the day the Aid was organized.  Several ladies came to visit their sick mother, Mrs. Elling Ackre, one day in July 1902.  They had come from church services at the Carl Olson Home located across the road from the A.S. Flott Farm.  To us in 1982 known as the Arthur (Bud) Johnson farm.

Those present to organize the “Kvindeforening” were Mrs. Soren Iverson, Sr., Mrs. Hans Thompson, Mrs. Martin Mortenson; Mrs. Iver Iverson, Sr and Mrs. Carl Olson.  Mrs. Iver Iverson was elected President.  They felt she know something about the work because she had spent some time in the Arvig parsonage in Adrian, Minnesota.  Mrs. Iverson was an efficient worker and a very hospitable person.

In 1909, Mrs. Hans Boe supervised a supper.  The proceeds were used to purchase lamps for the church.  All members worked hard and took their turns in serving.  We note by old pictures that at times the entire family met.

Many and varied projects have been the aims of the Aid.  They have contributed to the quotas of the Church Schools, Missions and local church work.  Almost every church project received assistance from the Aid.

In 1940 the Church was moved from the north west part of town to the present location one block south of main street.  At that time Pews were purchased.  Aid money has purchased paneling, carpeting and much remodeling.  Though these material things are very necessary, the spiritual aspects surpass all.  They give above the required quota for the National headquarters in Minneapolis, Minnesota; Foreign and Home Missions; the Theological Seminary; Bible School and Women’s Missionary Federation.

The Ladies Aid has met regularly the first Wednesday of each month, with few exceptions, for at least 60 years. (The work has not always been easy but there has been a spirit of harmony and good will.) Almost all of the women of the congregation have taken their turn in serving in one office or another.

The newest of the churches is the Faith Lutheran of the American Lutheran Church.  In 1963 a group of people from the Hampden and Alsen community organized an American Lutheran Church.  Pastor Ray Klug from Edmore served them and services were held in the American Legion Hall.  Faith Church was erected and opened for worship in 1964.  Several lay-pastors and interim-pastors assisted with the ministry and are listed as Pastor Osmond, Park River Bible Camp; John Neilson, student; John Baxter, Edmore; John Isum, Nekoma; Re. Winther; M.J. Neilson, Rugby; Omar, resident pastor.  Also Dennis Nelson, Obed; Chas. Plaster, resident; Elmer Sundlie; Jack Koch, resident.



Hampden Graduates 1924 to 1979

There were several country schools as the people realized that an education was necessary.  One was located east of town very near Mr. Anna Lee's homestead.  Mrs. Arthur Myhre (Edna Rudser) tells of the children walking past their farm (one mile east of town) and they would stop to see the baby (herself).  No doubt Mrs. Rudser could have told many incidents from those times.  Mrs. Rudser was the daughter of Mrs. Lee.  Incidentally, the barn on the Rudser farm was the latest in the Shevlin Gothic construction and people came from miles around to see it.

There were several country schools as the people realized that an education was necessary.  One was located east of town very near Mr. Anna Lee's homestead.  Mrs. Arthur Myhre (Edna Rudser) tells of the children walking past their farm (one mile east of town) and they would stop to see the baby (herself).  No doubt Mrs. Rudser could have told many incidents from those times.  Mrs. Rudser was the daughter of Mrs. Lee.  Incidentally, the barn on the Rudser farm was the latest in the Shevlin Gothic construction and people came from miles around to see it.

Now going back to information about schools.  One was built to the south on land pioneered by the Lengeby family, now owned by Richard Anderson.  This school was later moved to a Mackey quarter.  After it closed it was moved again and can be seen today at the Mrs. Raymond Mackey farm.  The Hampden School was built in 1908.  The first principal in this modern school system was Kimball Keeping.  He was killed in action during World War I.


Storlie school No. 1 was built in the southeast corner of the northeast corner of the northeast quarter of Section 11.  Later it was moved a mile further north.  This school operated until 1922 when it was closed and taken into the Loma School District.  It was later sold to Rev. Unseth which is the farmstead where Julius Skjerva resides.

The last teacher who taught there was Miss Esther Bartel of Alsen.  Some of the well known teachers who taught in this school were Emma Smith of Loma, Mabel Heimbecker of Gordon Township, Nellie Sunderland of Fairdale, and Ester Gunderson of Northwood, who became Mrs. Thorval Iverson.

Storlie School No. 2 was started in the fall of 1908 and located along the northwest quarter Section 8.  Later it was moved to the NE corner of the NE 1/4 Section 15.  From there it was moved to the NW corner of the SW 1/4 Section 28.  It was discontinued when Hampden School District was reorganized and moved in to be used as a bus barn.

Pupils who attended this school included Frances Clock, Evans Flott, Clinton Howes, Floyd Howes, Anna Harveland, John Harveland, Martha Harveland, Harland Meling, Agnes Peterson, Edna Peterson, Hazel Chambers, Grace Severson, Ella Kvall, Alida Harveland, Lloyd Clock, Myrtle Flott, Lois Howes, Hazel Howes, Iver Harveland, Ruth Harveland, Ruby Olson, Thressa Peterson, John Peterson, Myrtle Peterson, Alice Severson, Jordis Kvaal, Petrolf Kvall.  The Peterson family were know as Bjorland in later years.

Storlie No. 3 was located on the NW corner of Section 29, or about 3 1/2 miles northwest of Hampden, believed to have been built in 1903.  The first teacher was John Egge.  This school was discontinued in the early teens, and sold to L.O. Flott and made into a granary.  It is still in use on the Flott farm.

Storlie No. 4 had its beginning about 1902 in a small unfinished building with Emily Ackre as its first teacher.  Jon M. Egge the next.  It was located on a big hill about one half mile north of the Elias Hasby farm and on the land belonging to Nels Pearson, now owned by Frank Damschen.  School was held for just a few months in the summer.

In 1904 it was decided to build a regular school building and to place it in a more central location.  Land was donated by Martin Mortenson, which is now known as the Elling Digerness farm, located two miles north and 1 1/2 miles east of Hampden.

School officially opened in April 1905.  (The first records found in the Cavalier County Superintendent's Office.)  As many as 33 pupils attended this school with a teacher having all eight grades in one term.  Double seats were the thing in the early years, which contributed to a great deal of whispering.

School was held continuously throughout the years with eight month terms until 1950 when that portion of Storlie Township was annexed into the Hampden School District #34.  It was used for a Township Hall for several years and finally in 1976, it was moved to the city park of Hampden to be restored as a part of our early heritage.

The teachers from 1905 to 1950 were John I. Egge, Oscar Olson, Annie Mikkleson, Emma Wendt, Flora Walsh, Mae Gerke, Charles Gunderson, Ida L. Haibeck, Bertha Freeman, Johanna Overby, Hilda Norum, Emma Smith, Minnie Smith, Ella M. Campbell, Lydia Crockett, Laura Lund, Aileen More, Faye Bently, Ruby Walden, Carl Skjerva, Marie Amoth, Ingred Midtmoen, Roger Furbur, Meta Bruers, Mildred Storlie, and Meta Bruers Hasby, the last teacher.

A number of people who at one time attended Storlie No. 4 still reside in the Hampden area:  Carl and Mildred (Dahl) Mortenson, Nora (Miller) Anderson, Glora (Thorson) Logie, Mildred (Storlie) Flott, Arthur Thorson, Carrie (Larson) Pederson, Myrtle (Larson) Evans, Emma (Hasby) Dahl, Halvor Hasby, Duane Dahl, Clarence Hermanson, Olga (Christianson) Clock, Inez (Elftman) Wolf, Odin Christianson, and Melvin Larson.

from Ramsey County History: vol 2, p 598; published 1983

The petition to organize the first school in the township (158-62) was granted January 9, 1901 and was given the number District #34.  In a letter written January 2, 1900 and signed by L.B. Fancher, County Superintendent of Schools, he urged that such a a district be organized according to the petition he had received since there were more than ten children of schol age resideing in the township.  Those signing the petition to organize were:  Wm. Goldsbury, W.M. Pitt, Pearl Vanderhoef, H.F. Shipley, Geo. H. Clace, Orrin Atkinson, O.O. Knudson, B. Klesclan, G.F. Hawthorne, W. Sadlemeyer, J.W. Stoneman, Ole Iverson and A.C. Davis.  The first school was located in Northwest Quarter Section 21.  Later a second school was built to the east on the homestead of Mrs. Annie Lee. 

The first school board members in 1901 were J.W. Stoneman, Walter Sadlemeyer and Andrew Haugen.  A.C. Davis was clerk and Ole Iverson was treasurer.  Mrs. A.C. Davis was the first teacher.  The next year Mary A. Goldsbury joined her.

These schools continued until the district was consolidated and the school was built at its present location in the year 1907.

The school opened in 1908 as a grade school and although the town of Hampden was organized in 1903, the school district was called Northfield until 1908 when the name was changed to the Hampden Public School District #34.  It was not until that year or 1912 that two years of high school were added and in 1922 all 12 grades were taught.

There have been 369 graduates of Hampden High School since the first class in 1924 through 1980 when Hampden closed its doors for the last time.  The largest graduating class had 19 members.  It was the class of 1933.

The first Parent Teacher Organization was organzied in 1939.  There were 45 members.  The first officers were Fritz Skaar, President; Carl Mortenson, Vice-president; Peter Woken , Secretary; and Mrs. Torgerson, Treasurer.

The first annual "The Hampden Highlite" was also published in 1942.  At this time there were 45 students in grades 1-8, and 38 students in grades 9-12.

The first graduates from Hampden were Edna Rudser, Now Mrs. Arthur Myhre of Munich, and her brother, Peter Rudser, in 1924.

We have one family with three generations of graduates.  They are Earl and Nora Anderson, their son, Richard, and his children.  All live in the Hampden community at this time.

Two additions have been added to the original building over the years.  The gymnasium was built in 1952 and four new high school rooms were added in 1960.

The first hot lunch program was started in 1942 for the country children.  Inez Lommen was in charge of this and soup was the menu.

The present hot lunch room was officially opened in the fall of 1953.  An open house was held October 11, 1953.  Mrs. Henry (Verna) Peters and Mrs. Alber (Roberta) Werner were the first cooks.

1950-1951 was the first year Hampden had a band.  The band was organized and directed by Melvin Anda.  A Band Mothers Organization was also started at this time.  Their purpose was to raise money to help support the band with its needs in music instruments, etc.

from the 1979 All-Class Reunion book, published June 30, 1979
Two schools were organized in the early 1900's - one to the south of Hampden on land now owned by Richard Anderson and one to the east on the homestead of Mrs. Annie Lee.

These schools continued until the district was consolidated and the school was built at its present location in the year 1907. The school opened in 1908 as a grade school and although the town of Hampden was organized in 1903, the school district was called Northfield until 1958 when the name was changed to the Hampden Public School District #34.

The first school board members (in 1901) were J.W. Stoneman, Walter Sedlemyer, Andrew Haugen, A.C. Davis and Ole Iverson.  It was not until the year of the 1912 that two years of high school were added and in 1922, all 12 grades were taught. There have been 365 graduates of Hampden High School since the first class in 1924 through the senior class of 1979.  The largest graduating class had 19 members.  It was the class of 1933.

The first Parent Teacher Organization was organized in 1939.  there were 45 members.  The first officers were Fritz Skaar, president; Carl Mortenson, vice presiden; Peter Woken, secretary; and Mrs. Torgerson, treasurer.