Grant County NDGenWeb - Items From The Carson Press
NDGenWeb logo
Grant County,

The USGenWeb Project
The USGenWeb Project logo

Obituaries from Area Newspapers

Generously Contributed by Douglas Stayner
Subject: Carson Press Obituaries



Below from the Carson Press August 11, 1910:
DIED. Orville Eugene Blacketer, the little three months old son of Mr. and Mrs. Blacketer, died at their home about nine miles south of Carson, Wednesday morning. The little one had been sick for some weeks and the sorrowing parents anxiously watched for improvement with a vigil that hope always instills in the minds of father and mother, but to no avail. Funeral services were held at the home, Rev. Gage conducting the sad rites, and little Orville was laid to rest in the cemetery south of Carson. The Press extends its heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved parents.
Below from the Carson Press December 28, 1911:
IN MEMORIAM. The Carson Press is in receipt of a letter from Mrs. E. L. Shane and A. E. Cummings, who were called to the old home, West Concord, Minnesota, last Thursday, on account of the death of their father, Edwin E. Cummings. Edwin E. Cummings was called to rest Wednesday evening, December 20th, at 6:20 p.m. Although in declining health for several years, he lived comfortably, being free from pain and able to be about the home until the day before the death angel beckoned his departure from earth. After dinner he went to the couch to rest, never awakening from the seemingly deep sleep into which he had fallen, this being caused by paralysis. Deceased was born in Mansfield, Toland County, Connecticut, and died at the age of eighty years and eight days. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. D, 16th Wisconsin Volunteers. He served in this company for eleven months and was discharged on account of sickness. He re-enlisted in the fall of 1862 in Co. G, 31st Wisconsin, and fought in the battles of Corinth and Shilo and was with Sherman on his march to the sea. He was promoted to 1st Lieutenant in August 1864 and served until the war closed. He was married on August 24, 1865, to Abbie Miner Austin, of Elba, Dodge County, Wisconsin. Funeral services were conducted at West Concord, Minnesota, Rev. R. B. Ray assisted by Rev. Burdett L. Main, pastor of the M. E. church of the above named place, and interment was by the side of his beloved wife, who preceded him in death fourteen years ago, in the cemetery at Concord. He leaves to mourn his loss one son and two daughters, E. A. Cummings and Mrs. E. L. Shane, of Brisbane, N.D., and Mrs. Elmer Reed, with whom he has made his home since the death of his wife at West Concord.
Below from the Carson Press May 8, 1913:

IN MEMORIAM. The entire community was shocked by the death of Esther Adalaid Couture, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Prim Couture, of Brisbane township, Friday, April 26th, 1913. Her illness was brief, being of about three days duration. Death came from peritonitis caused by an infection of the appendix. Esther was born July 29, 1906, in what is now Brisbane township. She being the first child born in that township the first near post office, now discontinued, was named after her. She leaves to mourn her loss her father, mother and six brothers, one brother having preceded her. He died the night the family arrived on the homestead. Funeral services were held at the home Sunday forenoon, by Rev. Peterson of Brisbane. Interment was in the Carson cemetery.
Below from the Carson Press November 20, 1919:
OBITUARY. Elmer Russell, the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Anton Johnson, was born June 6th, 1900, at Clark's Grove, Minnesota. Was injured in a coasting accident which resulted fatally at noon, November 13th, 1919. Funeral was held in the Presbyterian church in Raleigh, N.D., Nov. 16th, at 11 o'clock, with Rev. D. K. Ford in charge. Interment in Raleigh cemetery. Having lived here thirteen years and gone to school here, although of a quiet disposition, he had made many friends who are grievedwith the family in his early departure. Besides father and mother he leaves two sisters. Emma and Irene, and a younger brother, Floyd. The beautiful floral offerings were only a small token of the high esteem in which he was held by his many friends.
Below from the Carson Press February 17, 1921:
OBITUARY. Mary Emaline, daughter of Samuel and Rhoda Barber, was born in Essex County, N.Y., on April 10th, 1843, and died February 7th, 1921, at the age of 77 years and 10 months. She was united in marriage to Christopher C. Wolfe, July 4, 1864, at Brooklin, Iowa. To this union were born four children, Franklin and John who died in infancy, and Claude of Lark, N.D., and Mrs. Flora Lucksinger, of Whittemore, Iowa. The family moved from Minnesota to North Dakota in April, 1906, and have made their home south of Lark since that time. Mrs. Wolfe united with the Methodist church at Luverne, Iowa, about thirty years ago. There are left to mourn her loss her husband, son, daughter, and grandchildren and many friends. Services were held in the Lark Presbyterian church by Rev. Daniel K. Ford of Steele, N.D., and interment in Pleasant View cemetery. [The Wolfe homestead was in Section 32, which was just to the northwest of the Raleigh reservoir].
Below from the Carson Press February 24, 1921:
KILLED IN AUTO ACCIDENT. James Morrison, one of the best known farmers of the Raleigh district, was instantly killed at about 4:30 Saturday afternoon when the Ford car he was driving went over an embankment and turned turtle. Mr. Morrison, with a daughter, had been to Raleigh and they were returning home about two miles southeast of Raleigh. As they were approaching a bridge over the Dogtooth Creek about a half mile from their home, the front wheel of the car struck a loose piece of ice, throwing the Ford car over the bank and down toward the creek. The daughter was only slightly injured but Mr. Morrison was instantly killed. The body was taken to his home, and the funeral was held Tuesday. Deceased was about 55 years old and leaves a wife and several children. He had lived in that vicinity for the past fourteen years and was among the most highly respected citizens of Grant County.
Below from the Carson Press March 3, 1921:
OBITUARY. James Morrison was born in Ireland on August 24th, 1862, and met his death in an automobile accident February 19, 1921, at the age of 52 years, six months and 23 days. He came to America when he was only 4 years of age and his early years were spent in Iowa, later he took up a claim in Nebraska. He was united to Elizabeth Owens at Madison, So. Dakota, on December 20, 1895. To this union was born four sons, John of Nowood, Wyoming, Clifford of Puget Sound, U.S. Navy; Winfred and Willie of Raleigh; and five daughters, Mrs. Robert Fruen, Sioux Falls, S.D., Martha, Jessie, Hazel and Mary, all of Raleigh. The family moved to Raleigh, N.D., 13 years ago where they have made their home. There are left to mourn his passing a loving wife, nine children and one grand child, two brothers and one sister besides many friends. Funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church at Raleigh on Friday, February 25th, with Rev. D. K. Ford, of Steele, N.D., officiating. The Odd Fellows’ Lodge also had charge. Those acting as pallbearers were Rev. A. R. Bosworth, Alfred Westrum, Thomas McGinnis, S. J. Pack, Herman Besch and Ned Bosworth. The floral offerings were many and very beautiful and expressed in part the sympathy of many friends. Interment in Raleigh Cemetery.
Below from the Carson Press June 23, 1921:
THOS. SNIDER DIES. Thomas Snyder, well known farmer and cattle man of Raleigh, is dead from injuries received in a battle with an outlaw horse Wednesday morning. Mr. Snyder was herding cattle on his farm near Raleigh when the horse became excited and started to buck and "rainbow", throwing Mr. Snyder against the horn of the saddle in such a manner that his intestines were horribly torn and ruptured. Dr. DeMoully, of Flasher, and Dr. Erwin, of Mandan, were summoned and did all in their power to save his life, but it proved futile and he died late Wednesday evening. Funeral will be held at Raleigh Monday afternoon at 2:00 o’clock.---Flasher Tribune.


From the Leith Index February 6, 1914:
JOHN SCOTT IS CALLED BY DEATH. Last Tuesday at noon occurred the death of Mr. John Scott, at his home near Brisbane, death being caused by infirmities due to old age. The deceased had been in feeble health for some time but his recent illness was of but a short duration. Mr. Scott was born of Scotch-Irish parentage at Trenton, Ireland, in the year 1828, he therefore having reached the ripe old age of 86 years at the time of his death. Being of that sturdy Scotch-Irish stock he spent a very active career. When a small boy he removed with his parents to Scotland, where he learned the weaver's trade. He came to Quebec, Canada, in the year 1845, where he remained for one year, from which place he went to the state of New York. In the early fifties, when the gold rush to California was at its highest pitch, he went by way of the Isthmus of Panama to the California gold fields, where he prospected for gold. In 1876 he left the gold fields and made his way to Sioux Falls, S.D. He was married in the year 1880 to Miss Eugenia Fenton, of Madison, S.D., who with three children, Mrs. Hanson of Howard, S.D., and Milo and Joseph Scott, of Brisbane, is left to mourn the loss of a beloved husband and father. The funeral was held from the family home yesterday morning at 11 o'clock, Rev. Peterson of Brisbane officiating. Interment was made in the Leith cemetery.


Below from the Raleigh Herald February 15, 1912:
HELEN WOOLSEY PASSES AWAY. Helen, the 5 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. Woolsey of Freda, died at a Bismarck hospital Wednesday morning from appendicitis.
Below from the Raleigh Herald October 10, 1913:
MR WOLFGRAM PASSED AWAY. Carl Wolfgram, who has been living with his son, Henry, who resides about 3 miles from here, died last night with the heart trouble. Mr. Wolfgram was 69 years old and had been working about the farm all day and was feeling in good health. He ate supper and went upstairs to smoke and in a short time his son heard him fall to the floor and upon an investigation found him lying dead. The funeral will be held at Flasher Monday and interment will be made in the Flasher cemetery. A host of friends in the community join in sorrow of his death.
Below from the Raleigh Herald March 27, 1914:
The little son of Mr. and Mrs. B. E. Frederick died on Saturday morning, he had practically recovered from the injury of his eyes when catarrah of the stomach developed. He was two years old and a brave, happy little fellow. His father, mother and sister are sorely grieved to part with their little William. A host of friends extend their sympathy by their presence at the funeral which was held at the house Monday morning. The burial was at Shields.
From the Flasher Hustler April 24, 1914:
DEATH OF MRS. WILKENSON.  The Hustler is called upon to chronicle the sad news of the death of Mrs. P. B. Wilkenson, which occurred at her home near Raleigh on Tuesday after a very short illness. Funeral services will be held in the Congregational church here tomorrow. The news of her death was received by her friends in Flasher with sorrow, as she was a lady whose happy and friendly disposition endeared her to all.
Below from the Raleigh Herald October 24, 1914:
WELL KNOWN MAN PASSES AWAY. Chris Sorum, a farmer residing south of town who was taken to the Mandan Hospital last Wednesday and under went an operation for appendicitis, died early this morning from the effects. He leaves a wife and family and a host of friends and relatives to mourn his death.
Below from the Raleigh Herald March 26, 1915:
OLD SETTLER OF WADE DIED AT ST. LOUIS. Wade. N.D. March 24. R. C. Dance, who lived at the forks of the Cedar and Cannonball rivers for many years, and who had many acquaintances in Morton County, died at a St. Louis hospital a short time ago. He had been taken to the hospital to undergo and operation for gallstones and did not recover from the operation. Mr. Dance sold his homestead here a few years ago and went to Crocker, Mo., where he had bought a small farm, near his birth place. Mr. Dance came here from Montana nearly twenty years ago. He had spent many years there and had been a miner there in the early days.
Below from the Raleigh Herald May 21, 1915:
PETER MILLER PASSED AWAY. Peter Miller, aged 46, passed away at 9:45 o’clock Saturday evening, May 15, at the Mandan hospital, following an operation for the removal of gallstones. He suffered a hemmorhage and jaundices also contributed towards causing his demise. Mr. Miller came to Morton County ten years ago from Russia and settled with his family five miles south of here. He acquired 480 acres of land and was accounted as one of the most prosperous and best farmers of this section. He was taken to Mandan a couple of weeks ago, but was in serious condition, and the operation was performed only as the last hope of saving his life. A brother, Max Miller, also of this place, his wife, Katerina, and 10 children survive. The children are Rudolph, Mrs. Emil Kopp, Aurora, John, Henry, Joseph, Max, Dorothy, Anna and Ravena. The funeral services were held at St. Gertrude’s Catholic church five miles south of here, last Tuesday, Rev. Fr. Hauge of New Leipzig in charge.
Below from the Raleigh Herald December 24, 1915:

WELL KNOWN CITIZEN ANSWERS LAST CALL. Nicholas Kahl, one of Raleigh’s most prominent citizens, passed away at the Bismarck Hospital last Sunday morning at 7 o’clock, after a short illness, cause of the death being typhoid fever. It was the writer’s good fortune to have known him long and well and we only knew him to esteem him more highly as the years passed by. Today we miss his kindly smile and friendly greeting; we long in vain to hear the ring of his jovial laughter, and to feel again his gentle presence. Only yesterday we sat before his bier in the church near the scene of his youthful, happy days. We stood by his open grave as the last sad rites were performed and as the clay of earth closed above his silent resting place. The funeral services were held at St. Gertrude’s Catholic Church, five miles south of this city, Wednesday, December 22. Father Houge of New Leipzig officiated. Besides the wife and three small children, he leaves a host of relatives and friends to mourn his death.
MRS. T.J. KELLY PASSES AWAY. [Mrs. Kelly was the wife of the Raleigh station agent who had just recently taken the position of depot agent at Rhame on the Milwaukee main line. Unfortunately the paragraph containing the details of her life is illegible.]
Below from the Raleigh Herald January 7, 1916:
DEATH CLAIMS FRANCIS MURPHY. Francis Joseph, the little two year old son of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Murphy, of this city, passed away at his home Thursday afternoon just as the shadows of night were enfolding the day, after a short illness lasting but two days, cause of death being convulsion resulting from hemorrhage to the lungs. ... The funeral will be held at the Catholic church in Flasher, Saturday morning at 10 o'clock.
Below from the Raleigh Herald February 2, 1917:
AUGUST FREDRICK BESCH CALLED BY MASTER. Mr. August Fredrick Ferdinand Besch, father of Messrs. John and Ferdinand Besch and Mrs. Morton, who resides a few miles east of town, died at his son's home Saturday, Jan. 27th, at 11:30 a.m., after a short illness of but two days. Cause of death was pneumonia. Mr. August Fredrick Ferdinand Besch was born in Stargen, Pommern., Germany, on February 22, 1857, and was 79 years, 11 months and 5 days old at the time of his death. Mr. and Mrs. Besch came to the United States in the year 1867 and located on a farm in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin, and later moved to Akley, Minnesota, disposing of their interests at Akley last September they came to Raleigh and have made their home here with their youngest son, John. He was a jovial old gent, and as well an honest, upright, Christian man, and was highly respected by all who knew him. Besides a wife he leaves three daughters and four sons to mourn his sudden departure. The funeral services were held at the home of John Besch Thursday afternoon at two o'clock, with the Rev. W. C. Limpert from Elgin officiating. The most heartfelt sympathy of the entire community is herewith extended to the bereaved family.
Below from the Raleigh Herald August 17, 1917:
MRS. WELCH CROSSES THE GREAT DIVIDE. It is with a sense of profound sorrow that we are called upon to chronicle the death of our esteemed friend and neighbor, Mrs. Charlotte Anna Welch, a pioneer resident of this city. Mrs. Charlotte Welch departed from this life last Sunday evening at half past eight o'clock; there was no lingering illness or painful experiences at the last, and was i n accordance with her oft expressed wish that when the transition came that she might yield up her immortal spirit to its maker without a struggle. Mrs. Welch throughout her declining years has not been blessed with robust health but was reconciled to her condition and bore her affliction nobly and with a Christian fortitude. Last Sunday she was somewhat more indisposed than common and in the evening requested of her son, Omar, tha he prepare his own supper, which he did, afterwards repaired to the barn to do his chores. Returning shortly to the house he found his mother on the floor unconscious, summoning nearby neighbors to his assistance he immediately phoned for Dr. Shortridge, who upon his arrival pronounced her dead. A quiet and peaceful departure to that borne from whence there is no return. Mrs. Welch always lived a consistent Christian life and has indentified herself with the Pioneer Presbyterian church of this city ever since its organization, and has put in practice in her everyday life the golden rule of neighborly relationship. Mrs. Charlotte Welch was born at Washington, Pa., in the year 1845, and was 72 years, 7 months, and 29 days old at the time of her death. She was united in marriage to William Henry Welch in Jefferson County...and came to North Dakota to live here on a homestead in 1906, which is now the original townsite. The remains of Mr. Welch, who was called by the Supreme Master in 1913, will be exhumed and laid beside his wife in our Silent City, west of town. There were eleven children born to this union, nine of whom are yet living. They are: Era Welch, St. Paul, Minn.; Mrs. Cora Beebe, Ft. Morgan, Colorado; Mrs. Lizzie Wicks, Calbin, N.D.; Omar Welch, Raleigh; Mrs. Minnie Wolfe, Raleigh; Mrs. Myrtle Wolfgram, Raleigh; Mrs. Ida Johnson, Oswego, Mont.; Mrs. Alice Messenger, Sterling, Colorado; Mrs. Emma Miller, Devils Lake, N.D. The funeral was one of the largest ever held in this city, and every consideratin and kindness was shown the bereaved family and relatives. Rev. Ford's discourse was affective and highly instructive, paying a fitting tribute to the bereaved...
Below from the Raleigh Herald November 23, 1917:
LAST RITES FOR MRS. LEONARD. VENERABLE RALEIGH WOMAN IS BORNE TO LAST RESTING PLACE. Following one of the most impressive funeral services at the Presbyterian Church at Flasher last Sunday forenoon, Rev. D. K. Ford of this city officiating, the remains of Mrs. Lillian Dale Leach Leonard were born to their final resting place in the Flasher cemetery. Mrs. Leonard throughout the last seven years has not been blessed with robust health; she being a victim of the terrible "white plague" [tuburculosis] and from which disease she has suffered stoicly. Despite her condition, she bore her affliction nobly and with a Christian fortitude and was held in the very highest esteem by everyone who ever had the pleasure of knowing her.
OBITUARY. Lillian Dale Leach Leonard was born in Green County, Iowa, on February 14th, 1873, and died in her 44th year on Nov. 15th, 1917. She came to North Dakota in 1906 and was engaged as a school teacher in both Oliver and Morton County during the years 1906 and 1907. She was married to Charles C. Leonard of this city at Mandan in February, 1908. Two children were born to them, they are: Helen, aged 8, and Charly Jr., aged 7. Besides a husband and two children the deceased leaves a father Mr. John Leach of this city, a brother J. W. Leach of Ree Heights, S.D., and a sister Mrs. J. H. Williams of New Orleans, to mourn her sudden departure.
MRS. MORTON IS LAID AT REST. The funeral services over the remains of Mrs. Louise M. Morton, who passed away last Friday evening at the Flasher hospital following a short illness, were conducted at the Pioneer Presbyterian Church Monday a.m., Rev. D. K. Ford officiating.
Mrs. Morton was of a sunny, cheerful disposition, always pleasant,and was all that a mother would be. She was a member of the Grand Lodge of Degree of Honor and the Brotherhood of American Yeomen, and was an ardent worker. She will be greatly missed by everyone who had the privilege of knowing her. Mrs. Louise M. Morton was born near Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, on July 5th, 1873, and was 44 years, 4 months and 4 days old at the time of her sudden departure. Besides a husband she leaves five children, two sisters, four brothers, and a mother to mourn her death. Interment was made in our Silent City west of town, Messrs. Middlemaas and Pottor from Flasher and W. Smith, A. Smith, J. Morrison and Herman Fisher of this city acted as pall bearers.
Below from the Raleigh Herald February 1, 1918:
FORMER RALEIGH MAN DIES IN CALDWELL, IDAHO. The many friends of Mr. and Mrs. Dr. W. H. Drown, formerly residents of this city but now residing at Caldwell, Idaho, will be sorry to learn that Dr. Drown passed away in that city on Tuesday, January 29th, death being due to a stroke of paralysis. Mr. Drown is well known in this city and was held in the highest esteem by everyone. Dr. Drown is a half-brother to Mr. Roswell Drown, and Mrs. Drown is a sister to Mr. W. B. Dorward. The Herald together with a large circle of friends herewith extend the most heartfelt sincere sympathy to the bereaved widow and relatives.
Below from the Flasher Hustler March 20, 1908:
REV. H. B. BOSWORTH CALLED TO DEATH. After a lingering illness brought about by a complication of ailments Rev. Homer B. Bosworth died Sunday afternoon at his home on South Meridian Street [in Portland, Indiana]. He was born in this county June 26, 1861, and at the time of death was aged forty-six years, eight months and eleven days. He is survived by his wife and two children, the names of the latter being Gladys, aged seventeen years of age, and [illegible], aged thirteen years....
Below from the "Flasher Hustler" February 25, 1910:
DEATH OF MRS. MARTHA E. WING.  Mrs. Martha E. Wing died at the home of her son, J. A. Wing, Sunday, February 20, 1910, of appoplexy, aged 71 years, 9 months and 15 days.  Mrs. Wing has been in poor health for over a year and the sudden change was not wholly unexpected.  Martha E. Stanley was born in Randolph County, Indiana, May 5, 1838, and resided there until 1849, when they moved to Iowa.  On the 14th day of February, 1857, she was united in marriage to Benedict Wing.  To them were born four children: Rose L., Ollie A., Erue O., and J. A. Wing.  The three daughters preceded her to the great beyond, Rose L. in her infancy, the other two reaching maturity.  In the spring of 1902 Grandpa and Grandma Wing, as they are called by their friends, located 2 1/2 miles north of Flasher on a homestead, which they called Garden Valley Farm.  Mrs. Wing leaves to mourn her loss, a loving and devoted husband, one son, Joseph A. Wing. eleven grandchildren, thirteen great-grandchildren, two brothers, Jesse Stanley, of Minnesota, and James Stanley, of Wisconsin, three sisters, Mrs. Irene Rich and Mrs. Naoma Frost, of Kansas, and Mrs. Nancy A. Dorsey, of Arkansas... The remains were laid to rest at the Flasher cemetery, beside those of her daughter, Mrs. Erue Knowles, and a granddaughter, Rosa Wing...
Below from the "Flasher Hustler" December 16, 1910:
AMELIA MARY BENSON. Amelia Mary Benson was born in Sweden in 1873, and died at her home two miles south of the Three Buttes, Dec. 10, 1910, aged 37 years, 10 months and 8 days. She was confirmed in the Swedish Lutheran Church in childhood. She lived an exemplary Christian life, beloved by all who knew her. She was married to Harry L. Benson June 16th, 1908. One child was born to them which died in infancy. Peter Holgerson and her husband were the only relatives here at the time of her death. Funeral service at the home was conducted by Rev. A. R. Bosworth. The remains were interred in the Flasher cemetery. The sorrowing husband and brother have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community.
IVA ALICE CROY. Iva Alice, oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Croy, passed away at her home near Carl, December 6, 1910.  She was born August 7, 1893, thus being 17 years of age at the time of her death ... She had been declining in health for more than a year, having contracted a cold which resulted in consumption.  The funeral services were conducted by Rev. E. C. Fenton.
MRS. EVA F. THOMAS. Mrs. Eva F. Wells Thomas was born in Wisconsin, September 14, 1868, and died in the hospital at Mandan, December 13, 1910, aged 42 years, 2 months and 29 days.  She was married to Walter D. Thomas at Humboldt, Iowa, June 26, 1887.  To this marriage were born nine children, all of whom are living.
Below from the Flasher Hustler September 8, 1911:
OBITUARY. Thursday morning, August 31st, 1911, the Sunday School of the First Congregational Church proceeded to the Heart River for a picnic in the natural park. It was an ideal day and everyone looked for a time of unbroken pleasure. Swinging and wading were freely indulged in by the younger ones, while those who were older, did all they could to add to their pleasure. Little did anyone think that even then the grim monster Death was at work and that where joy reigned, in a moment sorrow sat enthroned. OUr Last Enemy had snatched one of our number in the person of Clifton Mills Bosworth, who with a few friends had separated from the others to bathe. It appears that Clifton slipped into a deep hole and was drowned before aid could reach him, none of his companions being able to swim. Ray Stone being the first to reach the scene of the accident, dove and brought his lifeless body to the surface, all efforts to revive him were useless. Clifton, the son of Rev. and Mrs. A. R. Bosworth, was born in Onargo, Ill., Oct. 28th, 1902, and died Aug. 31st, 1911, age 8 years, 10 months and 3 days. He was beloved by all who knew him for his sunny, cheerful disposition. In his play with his companions his bearing was manly, yet so quiet that children playing with him once, sought his company again saying, "I like to play with Clifton for he plays so nicely." He was an enthusiastic Sunday School scholar, and for his age deeply interested in that which is good and elevating. He loved to make up verses in rhyme and he loved to read. He was a lover of the beautiful, viz: flowers and sacred songs. The last song he was heard to sing was, "Home Sweet Home," this he sang enroute to the picnic. The funeral services took place on Friday, Sept. 1st, and was very largely attended. The service was conducted by the writer who took for the text, Isa. 66:13, 1st clause. The sympathy of the entire community goes out to the bereaved in the severe loss they have sustained. We commend them to the care and sustaining power of our Divine Father thru Jesus Christ, in the blessed hope of the reunion by and by in "Home Sweet Home" Heaven. W. D. Farrer, Pastor.
Below from the Flasher Hustler of January 24, 1913:

HOMESTEADER FOUND DEAD. Ole Keeregourd was found dead in bed in his claim shack located about eight miles south of Raleigh Wednesday, Jan. 15, by Walter Smith, a neighbor, who, not having seen his neighbor around for several days, went over to investigate. He had apparently been dead six days when found and his stock was in a pitiful condition from want of attention. He was born in Norway and has no relatives in this country. He was 29 years old at the time of his death and had been a resident of North Dakota for the past six years. The funeral service was held on Thursday afternoon, Jan. 17th, from the Freda hall, the Rev. Bosworth officiating, and the remains interred in the Freda cemetery.
Below from the Flasher Hustler January 15, 1915:
BABY'S DEAD. Oscar Lloyd Rossow, not quite two years of age, only son of Avault Rossow and wife, Sophia, nee Arndt, was interred in the Flasher cemetery on Wednesday afternoon. Its premature death was due to an unfortunate accident. The child died from injuries. Services were held by Rev. F. [illegible] at the home of the child's parents near Freda at 10:30. A large number of neighbors and friends attended the funeral and the parents have the sympathy of the entire community in as much as this is the fifth infant whose death they mourn.
Below from the Flasher Hustler May 5, 1916:-
C G FRENCH DEAD. C. G. French, one of the old settlers in the Raleigh district, passed away Wednesday at the Bismarck hospital, where he had been receiving treatment for heart trouble. Deceased was 48 years of age and took up farming near Raleigh about ten years ago, coming from Brookings, S.D. Last fall he retired from active farm life and moved to Bismarck. His health had failed him and he had been receiving treatment for heart trouble more or less since last fall. His wife and two daughters, Ruth and Rachel, survive him. The funeral services will be held at Bismarck at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon, either from the Webb Undertakering parlors or some church to be selected. Many friends throughout Flasher will learn with regret of his untimely death.
Below from the Flasher Hustler November 26, 1915:
P J McCULLOUGH PASSES AWAY. Hundreds of friends throughout the Flasher country will sincerely regret to learn of the sudden death of Patrick J. McCullough. The following from the Mandan Pioneer, on the 23rd inst. tells of his sudden passing away. "Mr. McCullough, aged 78 years, had been taken ill about three months ago, the first real sickness of his long life. He was taken to the Mayo Brothers hospital in Rochester, Minnesota, where it was found that he was suffering from cancer of the liver. He returend to his home at Brisbane, transferred some of his property, and with his daughter, Mrs. Gertrude O'Donnel, was going to her home at Booneton, N. J. As the train neared Chicago last Wednesday, Mrs. O'Donnel went to get her father a glass of water, and upon her return, found him with his head on his breast, presumably sleeping. As the train pulled into Chicago she tried to rouse him and discovered that he was dead. Pat McCullough came to the United States with his parents when he was two years old. Dubuque was his home for almost all his life, and he was engaged for years in the cattle and horse trading business. He first became interested in North Dakota in 1882 when he shipped many horses here. Albout twenty years ago he became interested in properties around Brisbane, in southwestern Morton county, and owned considerable land there. The funeral was held in Dubuque on Friday last. "McCullough one of the finest characters it has ever been my privilege to meet. He was a true friend and a real gentleman," said attorny J. E. Campbell of this city today when giving information regarding the deceased. Countless other friends agree with Mr. Campbell. A sister in Chicago, two brothers in Dubuque, a son, Joe McCullough, and a nephew, Frank McCullough, of Brisbane, and his daughter, Mrs. Gertrude O'Donnel of Booneton, N.J., survive.
Below from the Flasher Hustler March 30, 1917:
DEATH OF ANNA OLSON. Anna Olson was born in southern Norway on Nov. 20th, 1820, and died at her home near Raleigh, N.D., on Friday forenoon, at 11:30, March 23rd, 1917, being 96 years, months and 8 days old, death being due to a general failure of vital powers due to old age. When a young woman she went to the northern part of Norway where she was married to Andrew Olson. Two children were born to them, Mrs. Anna Trepto, of Raleigh, and Andrew Olson, of Grand Marais, Minn. In 1871 the family emigrated to this country and settled at Merrill, Wis. In June 1897 Mr. Olson died, but for many years Mrs. Olson has been quite feeble, losing her hearing about three years ago. Mrs. Olson had always been an active, whole souled Christian and for many years her chief joy and pleasure has been to read her Bible and prayer book. She, with her son-in-law and daughter, moved to Raleigh two years ago and have since made their home with Mr. and Mrs. Herman Trepto. Mrs. Olson was an inspiration to all who came in contact with her, and her death was as peaceful as her life. Well may it be said of her as the inspired apostle says....Funeral services were conducted over the deceased in the Congregational church in Flasher on Sunday by Rev. D. K. Ford, and interment was made in the Flasher cemetery.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" August 14, 1903:
KILLED BY LIGHTNING.  During an electrical storm last Friday evening, Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Wagner, who resided about thirty miles south of this city, were struck and killed by lightning.  Mr. Wagner had just finished unhitching his team and had stretched himself across the foot of the bed upon which his wife and two children were lying, one a three month's old baby, two other children were playing on a lounge near there when the lightning killed the father and mother.  The two oldest children, one about seven years old, carried the younger two to the home of Herman Wagner, a brother of the deceased, who resides about one and a half miles ... The deceased was thirty-two years of age and his wife thirty.  They were both born in Wisconsin and located here about three years ago.  The remains were brought to Mandan Sunday and sent to Pipestone, Minnesota, Sunday night for interment.
ANOTHER DEATH FROM LIGHTNING.  Henry Miller, who had been working for A. Ashner, who resides about twenty-seven miles south of Mandan, was killed by lightning last Friday afternoon while raking hay.  He fell off of the rake backwards and the team became frightened and ran away.  Ashner, a brother-in-law of Mr. Miller, was present at the time, but did not think that the deceased was dead and picked him up [illegible]...Goeschel, where they gave him what medical assistance they could.  The deceased was twenty-two years of age and came here a short time ago with a number of other Jews and took up homesteads near here.  He has a father living in New York City.  The remains were interred on the farm where he was killed.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" September 11, 1903:
WALTER CLARK KILLED.  The 8 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. William L. Clark, of Fort Yates, was accidentally shot and killed Monday, September 7, by the discharge of a rifle in the hands of a playmate, the ball penetrating the heart and killing him almost instantly.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer"  December 4, 1903:
Mrs. William Knowles died at her home near Flasher last Friday afternoon after a long and painful illness.  Mrs. Knowles was about forty-two years old and came to this county with her husband about a year ago from Kasota County, Iowa, locating on a farm one mile north of Flasher.  She was highly esteemed by all who knew her, who join with the family in mourning the loss of a loving wife and an affectionate mother.  Funeral services were held Sunday, Reverend Wright officiating, after which the remains were interred in the cemetery at Flasher.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" May 20, 1904:
Joe Langdon, brother to Mrs. M. L. Clark and Orris Langdon, is dead.  The cause of death was consumption. Interment took place from Glen Ulin. Diseased was fifty years old and a kindly man, and a good citizen.  The community extends its sympathy to the brother and sister in their bereavement.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" July 22, 1904:
Word reached this city yesterday of the death of Levy Raffensberger, who resides with his family near Flasher.  The deceased was engaged in digging a well eight miles south of Flasher and was at work when he was taken ill and shortly after he was drawn from the well he died.  He was a member of Colfax Camp Modern Woodmen No. 3306, South Bend, Indiana, and leaves a wife and two children to mourn his loss.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" August 5, 1904:
DEATH FROM A SNAKE BITE.  Tragic and pitiful indeed was the death of the youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P. Goodreau at Stevenson on Saturday last.  The little one was walking from the house to the garden when she stepped on or near a rattlesnake and was bitten on the main artery of the leg.  Her little sisters, who were with her, did not know it was a snake as it did not rattle, but after the little one commenced to scratch and complain of her leg itching, she remembered the snake or stick as she thought it was.  Mr. Goodreau went out to the place, and found a huge rattlesnake ... funeral in the Catholic cemetery at Porcupine station.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" December 30, 1904:
G E Whiteman, who resides near Flasher, died last Friday of consumption.  He leaves a widow adn a small child to mourn his loss.  The remains  were taken Tuesday to Peirro, Iowa, for burial.  J. F. Whiteman and Elmer Russell, of Flasher, accompanied the remains to this city.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" January 20, 1905:
DEATH OF MRS. JEWELL.  Another sad scene entered the home of the Jewell family on Thursday morning at 9:30 when Mrs. Alice Jewell, the mother of W. R. Jewell of this city, passed from this life to a better place beyond.  Mrs. Jewell with her husband and son came up from Flasher when they heard the news of the death of Mrs. W. R. Jewell, and from that time she has resided in the rooms formerly formerly occupied by her son, W. R. Jewell, in the Merchants block.  About two weeks ago Mrs. Jewell became sick with pneumonia and heart complications, which resulted in her death.  Her husband and son, Earl, and her son, Elwood Jewell, of Perry, Iowa, were at her death bed, her other son, W. R. Jewell, being sick in the hospital at Brainerd.  The remains were taken to Perry, Iowa, for burial.

Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" August 25, 1905:
OBITUARY.  Miss Nina Peters, of Fallon, died Sunday, August 20th, after an illness of about six weeks.  She was fifteen years of age at the time of her death.  The remains were brought to Mandan and interred in the Union cemetery.  The funeral services were held in the Norwegian Lutheran church, Rev. Olin Eldridge officiating, in place of Rev. Gaustad, the regular pastor, who was unable to get there on account of the train being late.  Miss Nina was a bright little girl and leaves a father, mother, and a number of sisters and brothers to mourn her departure.  Mrs. Newgaard, of Milnor, N.D., a sister of the deceased, attended the funeral. 
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" December 28, 1906:

[STEVENSON NOTES]. Mrs. John J. Frederick died last week, her death being caused by erysipelas and blood poisoning.  She leaves to mourn her loss a sorrowing husband, a father, mother, sister and two brothers.  She was born November 22, 1875 and died December 7, 1906.  The funeral services were held at the house conducted by H. E. Fleming, and the remains were taken to their last resting place at Flasher.  The pall bearers were Peter Port, William Owen, H. Brown and M. Brown.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" January 4, 1907:
We are sorry to report the death of the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Pearce [or Robert Pierce] of Dogtooth.  The child died at Flasher Friday where he had been taken to be near the doctor.  The funeral services were held Sunday at 2 p.m. in Flasher school house, conducted by Reverend Flemming.  The remains  were laid to rest in Flasher cemetery.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" January 11, 1907:
A J Samples, born in Marion County, Kentucky, February 14, 1832, died at the home of his son-in-law near Flasher January 1, 1907 ... He was a good man and every one that knew him loved him.  He leaves a wife and two daughters and a host of friends to mourn his loss.  He joined the Cumberland Presbyterian church in the springtime of his life and kept the faith until his death.  The remains were buried in Flasher cemetery.  Services were held at the home by Rev. W. T. Inman.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" February 1, 1907:
The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Kennedy died Friday night.  Funeral was held at Flasher school house Sunday and interment in Flasher cemetery.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" December 6, 1907:
[CARSON NOTES]. The grim silent reaper has been in our midst and another of our number has received the summons and passed over to the great beyond.  Mrs. Christian Emerson died last Monday at the hospital in Glen Ullin.  She had been sick a long time and suffered much and death finally came to her relief.  The funeral took place on Tuesday at Sims and  a large number of friends and relatives followed her to her last resting place.  She leaves, besides her husband, three married daughters, Mrs. William Hanson, Mrs. William Chesrown, and Mrs. Louis Hammery, who all live on homesteads nearby.
DEATH OF SEBASTIAN LAUDNER.  Sebastian Laudner died at the Shields ranch on November 12, aged sixty-seven years.  He was a veteran of the civil war, having enlisted in the fifth West Virginia cavalry on May 12, 1861, and was discharged at Martinsburg, West Virginia, on January 4, 1864.  He re-enlisted in the same company and served with it until May 22, 1866, and was discharged at Fort Leavenworth.  The last year and a half was spent fighting Indians west of the Missouri River.  Mr. Laudner had no relatives in this country.  He was a great admirer of the United States and its foremost men.  He took great pride in the Grand Army of the Republic and requested that his army badge be pinned to his coat when he should be laid in his coffin.  He experienced the Catholic religion a few days before his death and was buried in the Catholic cemetery at the Porcupine agency.  Father Bernard conducted the funeral services.  Mr. Laudner had been a resident of Dakota since 1868, having been in the employ of the U. S. government for many years.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" November 13, 1908:
OBITUARY.  Carrie Fredericks was born December 7, 1854, and died October 22 at her home at Flasher.  The cause of the death was due to apoplexy. She was a member of the Lutheran church from her youth.  The funeral services were conducted by Rev. A. R. Bosworth and remains  taken to the Flasher cemetery for interment.  She leaves a husband and several children to mourn her loss.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" December 18, 1908:
DEATH IN FORMER PIONEER FAMILY.  The Spokesman-Review published at Spokane, Washington, in a recent issue, contained the following item relative to the death of Mary Soper: "Burley, Idaho, November 29.  Mary Soper died at the home of her father in the southeast part of town last week from typhoid fever, after an illness of several weeks.  She was seventeen years old, being the eldest of four children, and is the second to be taken from the family by death within a short time, her mother having  died about six weeks ago."  The Sopers were pioneers of the Cannonball country, residing near Janesburg.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" January 1, 1909:
DON STEVENSON DEAD.  Donald Stevenson, the patriarch of Morton County, passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. B. T. Townsend, of Dickinson, on Monday morning, after months of lingering illness.  The immediate cause of the death of this aged Morton County pioneer was dropsy... The remains were brought to Mandan on No. 6 on Thursday, and taken charge of by the Masons' lodge .. the body was taken from the train to the Presbyterian church, where Dr. Thomas A. McCurdy conducted the funeral service.  The deceased was a member of this denomination.  Relatives and friends gathered to hear the last touching words in memory of him who had fallen.  After the service, the funeral cortege moved to Union cemetery where the body of one of the oldest pioneers was laid to rest on the banks of the great Missouri, which he crossed so many years ago when the Indian still roamed over the prairies.  Donald Stevenson was born at Kilbery, Argyle, Scotland, on April 12, 1833.  He married Lydia Ann Stone on March 17, 1862.  In he moved to Canada and came to Minnesota in 1850.  In 1872 he came to Dakota territory, and settled on the Cannon Ball River in 1885, where he has made his home ever since.  He leaves a wife, and two sisters, Mrs. James Miller and Mrs. Thomas Watts, and three sons, Hugh, William and Donald, and one daughter, Mrs. B. T. Townsend, of Dickinson, to mourn his loss.  Don Stevenson was perhaps better known than any other pioneer of the Missouri Slope.  He braved the dangers of the early days when the white people were few and far between.  In short, his name should be remembered with the others of his kind, who blazed the trail in Morton County, which makes it possible for us to enjoy the blessings of the now thickly settled country.  He has been a conspicuous figure of the slope country and was honored by his fellow citizens with a seat in our state legislature, which he held for a number of years, and where his wise and sound judgment made him a factor.  His Scotch ancestry made him a hospitable entertainer and many of our citizens have enjoyed the shelter of his ranch on the Cannon Ball.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" March 4, 1910:
FLASHER HOMESTEADER DIES.  One of the saddest deaths that has taken place in this part of the county is the case of Benjamin Thoner, of Diamond Bluffs, Wisconsin.  Thoner, who was twenty-three years old, was suffering from tuberculosis and came out here from the east three years ago and took up a claim south of Flasher. For a time, it seemed as though the change in climate was going to benefit the ravages of the disease ... made themselves known this winter and the young man succumbed to the white plague last Tuesday.  His body was shipped back to his home on Thursday. [Benjamin was homesteading in Section 2 of Lark township, about three miles to the west of Flasher]
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" August 26, 1910:
A very sad funeral was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. William Owens, of Shields, who lost their little son,  Richard, six years old, of spinal meningitis.  He was buried at the new Ladies Aid cemetery.  Mr. and Mrs. Owens have the sympathy of the entire neighborhood in their great bereavement.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" February 24, 1911:
Catherine Bornhoeft was born at Westermarkelsdorf, Island of Themarn, Germany.  She was married at the age of 27 years to Frank Bornhoeft, and died February 4, 1911, at the age of 73 years and 10 months.  They came to Nebraska nine years ago from their native island.  An aged husband, three sons and one daughter, remain to mourn her loss.  Interment was made in the Flasher cemetery.  The funeral service was conducted at the home of C. W. Cronk ... A large crowd of friends and neighbors join in extending to the bereaved family their deep and heartfelt sympathy in this their time of sorrow.
Below from the "Mandan Pioneer" October 27, 1911:
MRS. DON STEVENSON DEAD.  The remains of Mrs. Lydia Stevenson, the widow of the late Don Stevenson, were brought to Mandan on last Friday from Dickinson and interred in the Union Cemetery. Mrs. Stevenson died on last Thursday at the home of her daughter in Dickinson, Mrs. Bert Townsend.  Dr. Thomas A. McCurdy had charge of the services here in Mandan.  Mrs. Stevenson would have been 72 years of age if she had lived until November.  A general breakdown ended her life in this world.  Lydia Ann Stone was born in New Brunswick, eastern Canada, and was married to Donald Stevenson at St. Cloud, Minnesota, on March 17, 1862, and side by side this couple braved many hardships in the early days both in Minnesota and North Dakota.  After marriage they resided some years at Oankis, Minnesota, where Mr. Stevenson was engaged in the flouring mill business.  In 1872 they came west, going into the ranching business at Glencoe, 20 miles south of Bismarck, in Emmons County, near the old Fort Rice Indian stronghold on the opposite side of the river.  In 1886 they came west of the Missouri River, 25 miles from the mouth of the Cannon Ball River, where they lived until about the time of Mr. Stevenson's death, and which place was called Stevenson for him.  Life in those early days among the hostile Indians was not the easiest kind and demanded a great deal of courage and fortitude.  In one instance, in the spring of 1876, before the Custer massacre, a band of Indians going north, stopped at the Stevenson ranch in the absence of the husband and with a great display of courage, Mrs. Stevenson induced them to go away without doing harm.  In the fall of this same year, a band of several hundred Sioux Indians returning from the battlefield of the Little Big Horn country camped around the place for some days.  Mrs. Stevenson was a woman of exceptional capabilities, possessing great presence of mind at critical times and her wise counsel and exemplary life was worth everything to her children and those about here.  Thus the memorable lives of two North Dakota's pioneer residents have passed into history with the death of Donald Stevenson in December 1905, followed by the death of Lydia Stevenson on Thursday, October 19.
Below from the Grant County Leader August 9, 1918:
BALSAR JEPSON DIED AUGUST 2. Balsar Jepson was born in Denmark on December 31, 1836. He came to the United States in 1880. His wife died the following year, leaving him with five small children. Two years later he was married to the wife who survived him. To them were born two children, one of whom died in infancy. He came to Dogtooth, N.D., twelve years ago and has lived with his son west of here until his death August 2nd, aged 81 years, 7 months, 2 days. The surviving children are Mrs. Otto Otteson of Clark Grove, Minnesota, Mrs. J. B. Otteson of Albert Lea, Minnesota, Jim and Louis Jepson of Raleigh, N.D. Services were held in the church at Raleigh last Sunday afternoon at two o'clock and interment made in the cemetery immediately following the services, Rev. Ford delivering the sermon.

CARL F. ROSSOW PASSES BEYOND. Carl F. Rossow passed away at his home east of Raleigh on Tuesday evening at ten-thirty, aat the age of seventy-four years. Mr. Rossow had been ailing for some time past and his immediate death was caused by asthma accompanied with heart failure. He leaves to mourn his death a wife and eleven children. Funeral services will be held at the home on Saturday after which the remains will be taken to Flasher where interment will be made in the Flasher cemetery.
Below from the Grant County Leader August 16, 1918:
CARL F. ROSSOW. C. F. Rossow was born February 16, 1844, in Germany. In 1876 he moved from Germany to the United States, locating near Milwaukee, Wis. He lived there till 1878, when he moved to the town of Beaver, in the north central part of Wisconsin. Here he lived till the year 1912, when in November he came to the present Rossow home east of Raleigh. There were thirteen children born to Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Rossow, of which eleven are still living, six girls and five boys. Of these, two of the daughters are living in Wisconsin and the rest are all in North Dakota. Mrs. Rossow still survives her husband.
Below from the Grant County Leader October 24, 1918:
ARCHIE KIZER PASSES AWAY. Archie, son of J. H. and Iva Kizer, died of pneumonia at their home at New Salem on October 1, 1918. Archie Kizer was born in Decatur, Ill., came to North Dakota in 1906 and was one of the pioneer settlers in the Raleigh district. He was one of the first to be called into military service from Grant County but was later discharged on account of defect in his eye sight. He leaves behind a father and mother and three brothers and sisters, Mrs. Tom Snow of Mott, Mrs. G. W. Stephens of Mandan, Lyman Kizer of New Salem, Ruth Kizer of New Salem, also a brother, Virgil, who is located at Camp Hancock, Augusta, Georgia. The funeral was held at New Salem Tuesday at 4 p.m.
Below from the Grant County Leader November 28, 1918:
MRS. E. BOSWORTH'S FATHER DIES: A telegram was received here Tuesday morning by Mrs. E. N. Bosworth, reporting the death of her aged father, Peter Metz, who resided at Portland, Indiana. Peter Metz was one of the early settlers of eastern Indiana, and was a direct descendent of the Metz family who originally owned the land where the city of Metz now stands. Mr. Metz died at the age of 87- had eight children grown to manhood and womanhood, has 27 grand children, and 27 great grandchildren, four of the grand children and ten of the great grand children residing in the vicinity of Raleigh.
Below from the Grant County Leader November 14, 1918:
OBITUARY. Mrs. Fred Nultemeier of Raleigh died at the Flasher hospital on Nov. 6, 1918, age 41 years, 4 months, and 28 days. Della Elvira Sprague was born at Rock Falls, Illinois, on July 8, 1877. In August 1895 she was united in marriage to Fred Nultemeier at Butte City, Nebraska. To this union were born seven children. The oldest one, Fred, is "with the colors over there". About fifteen years ago she united with the German Lutheran Church and remained a member of this church until her death. In October 1906 Mr. and Mrs. Nultemeier moved from South Dakota to their present home twelve miles southwest of Raleigh. With her sunny disposition Mrs. Nultemeier was a woman of many friends. "To know here was to love her". She leaves to mourn her loss besides friends innumberable, a husband and seven children and mother, Mrs. Gregerson of Alberta, Canada, who has been here with her daughter for several weeks. Funeral services were conducted Friday by Rev. Ford of Lark. The funeral was private and held at Rev. Thomas residence. The remains were laid to rest in the Flasher cemetery.

MRS. BLOCKER DEAD. Elmer Blocker of Raleigh received a message from the state Sanatarium of Dunseith, N. Dak., stating that Mrs. Blocker died there Sunday evening. The message was a shock to Mr. Blocker as the last letter received from Mrs. Blocker stated that she was getting along nicely.
Below from the Grant County Leader November 21, 1918:
OBITUARY. Jacob Kopp was born in Krasna, Russia, on the 11th of September, 1860. He was married in 1887 to Miss Rosie Miller. In the year of 1908 they moved to Strasburg, N.D., where they resided during the winter months, after which they moved to their present home a few miles southwest of Raleigh, where they homesteaded. Mr. Kopp died at his home on the 16th day of November of valvular heart disease and was buried in the St. Gertrude cemetery on Monday, the 18th of November, Father Franz of Ft. Yates officiating. There are left to mourn his loss, a wife, nine children, four sons and five daughters; also three brothers and five sisters.
Below from the Grant County Leader December 5, 1918:
OBITUARY. Anna Rasmine Kristine Miller was born at Grenaa, Denmark, on December 30, 1889. Here she lived till in the year of 1908, when in March, she in company with Chris Miller came to Grand Meadow, Minn. On the 11th day of May 1908 Miss Miller and Chris Miller were married at Austin, Minn., and in July of the following year they moved to Dogtooth, N.D., where they lived till the laying out of the townsite of Raleigh, when they moved here, being the first ones to locate there. Mrs. Miller had been ailing for the past couple of years and in the latter part of October she went to Nevada, Mo., for the treatment. It was about two weeks ago that word was received here that she had taken sick with influenza and a short time later word was sent for Mr. Miller to come there. She gradually grew worse and on last Wednesday morning, November 27th at 5:50 a.m., she succumbed to the grim reaper "Death". The remains were brought to Raleigh, arriving here on Saturday noon, and funeral services held from the church on Sunday forenoon at eleven o'clock, Rev. Ford officiating. Interment was made in the Raleigh cemetery. Mrs. Miller leaves to mourn her loss, a husband and two daughters, Edith and Alice, besides inumerable friends. She has one brother, Nels Miller, who is with the colors in France.
Below from the Grant County Leader December 19, 1918:
IN MEMORIAM. Robert Morris Hutzel was born at Raleigh, N.D., on March 30, 1915. About three weeks ago he went to Albert Lea, Minn., with his parents, where on December 9th, he died from diptheria, being sick only thirty-six hours.
IN MEMORIAM. Mr. and Mrs. William Hyland of Lark [their homestead was in Section 30 of Lark township, which would be about six miles to the west of Raleigh and a little to the north] have been called upon to suffer much because of influenza and pneumonia. On November 30th their eldest daughter, Clara Maud, aged 24, wife of Clarence Henderson of Carson, passed away after a few days illness and four days later her little boy and girl died and were laid beside their mother in Carson cemetery. On Saturday, December 14th, we were grieved to learn that Johnnie Hyland had also been called away. Services were held Sunday afternoon in the Lark Presbyterian church and interment made in Lark cemetery. John was born at Stonghton, Dane County, Wisconsin, July 28, 1899, and with his parents came to Lark March 1909. He grew into young manhood in our midst and will be greatly missed by all. There are left to mourn his loss a sorrowing father and mother, five brothers and one sister. Our hearts go out in sympathy to Mr. and Mrs. Hyland and family and Clarence Henderson in their very great loss.