Note: Based on memoirs of Gerald Scott and other sources.
If you have more information contact the following:
BEFORE MOVE TO ST. DAVID
1. Silvanus Scott
- Silvanus Scott and Sarah Moses moved to Scarborough, ME in 1730.
- (or DID HE? - See records and query from Justine Gengras).
6 children, among them
Sylvanus (born 1736)
Samuel (born 1723).
Elizabeth (who married Col. Benjamin Foster, and was father of GEORGE FOSTER, who settled in Central Tower Hill)
Frances (who married Wooden Foster, brother of Benjamin Foster).
2. Sylvanus Scott Jr.
Sylvanus Scott (b. 1736) married Sarah Andrews, and brother Samuel married Susan Perry.
The brothers first lived in Scarborough, ME, then moved in 1763 to East Machias. Others, including the Fosters also moved at same time.
1769 - Scotts members of local militia in E. Machias
1777 - Sylvanus Scott's home and mill were burned during British offensive, and his wife and 11 children took refuge in woods.
Jesse (another brother of Sylvanus) was taken prisoner on Saint John River, and spent winter in confinement.
Simeon (another brother) was shot and scalped on the Saint John River, apparently for taking the rebel side.
Sylvanus Scott and Samuel Scott each had 11 children.
3. MARK SCOTT
Mark Scott (born ca 1765), a son of Samuel Scott x Susan
Perry, married his cousin Mehitable, a daughter of Sylvanus Scott,
in 1786.. He was an important Tower Hill immigrant, perhaps around
Theodore Scott, also a son of Samuel Scott x Susan Perry, married Olive Scott, who was a sister of Mehitable Scott. Their son Samuel Scott (born 1795) emigrated to Tower Hill in 1807, where he was assisted by his uncle Mark Scott.
On July 8, 1797, Mark Scott bought from Joseph Connick, Lot 5, Block O, Wentworth Division, for £50. (This property was in the mid 20th century that of Wallace Hyslop).
On Nov. 11, 1801, Mark Scott bought from Archibald McLaughlin Lots 1 and 2, Block O, Fanning Division, St. David, for £25. (This property was in 20th century owned by Bert Johnston (Lot 1) and the lot immediately to the North across Fowler's Lane from the Irving place. (Lot No. 2). Mark Scott had until June 1, 1804 to pay for it.
On Jan 7, 1802, Mark Scott bought from Robert Towers, for £62 10sh., Lot 4, Block O, Wentworth Division, 200 acres in total. The first of these lots was originally granted to Daniel McAllister, and takes in the 'John Giddens' place, the lower end of the Bagley field, and the blueberry fields on the south side of the Tower Hill Road, and west to the road into Gallop Lake.
The second (Lot 6, Block L), is immediately to the south, originally granted to Allan Moore, and would take in the rest of the blueberry fields down to and including Brown's.
On Jan. 8, 1802, Mark Scott bought from Daniel McAllister Lot 2, Block R, Wentworth Division, 100 acres, and originally granted to John Beaton, for £12 10 sh. (this is called the Douglas and Evelyn Hyslop property).
In 1807 Mark Scott petitioned the Province of New Brunswick for a grant of land in St. David. The petition is handwritten and difficult to read, but states in part as follows:
"To his excellency Thomas Carleton....five years ago your memorialist came into this part of the country from the States and brought his family with him that he purchased a farm 8 miles from the landing upon which he made considerable improvements and brought a large family...prays for a grant of 300 acres of land described as follows - Lots No. 4, 5, and 6 in letter F of the Fanning Division which have been laid out but never drawn for by any person."
It is mentioned that Mark Scott had bought a quit title to Lot No. 4 already from someone who had made improvements on it, and that Mark had made considerably more improvements...and goes on to say that he was one of the first settlers in the County and at a devil of an expense and inconvenience, etc., and signed Mark Scott, Saint David, 15 Aug. 1807.
Below is stated "I hereby certify that I am aquainted with the memorialist and know him to be a respectable and decent man and a valuable settler with a numerous and increasing family. Intends if his influence will settle it, to get all his children to settle in this country...with which this promising man will be no small acquisition to the same...That considering the bad quality of the land he asks for...that he be accommodated with the three lots for a settlement...signed Hugh Mackay.
On Nov. 27, 1810 several grants were approved in Charlotte County, totaling 6131 acres, including the grant of lots 4, 5, and 6, Block F, Fanning Division, St. David to Mark Scott. These three lots contained a total of 270 acres. The three lots take in the area from Thompson Corner (where the Upper Tower Hill school house was) down Fowler Lane to about where the Fowler house was, and west one half way to the Woodstock Road, and so would include the Thompson place, the Irving place, the Scott place and the block to the north of the Scott place. There were many conditions placed on the grants...they must have three cattle for each 50 acres, there were exceptions for 'rocky and stony ground', and if conditions were not met in five years the land would revert to the Crown.
The petition above indicated that Mark Scott had moved to St. David in 1802, but his land buying began at least in 1797. It is possible he had not brought his family until 1802.
On April 1, 1817 Mark Scott sold to Daniel Whitman (likely Whitmore) for £60 Lot 4, Block F, Fanning Div.. This is the Thompson fields on Upper Tower Hill.
On July 25, 1817, Mark Scott sold to his nephew Samuel Scott Lot 5, Block F, Fanning Division, being 100 acres for £100. This takes in all the land on the north side of the Scott lane from the Fowler Lane to about the edge of the hay field just west of where the old house was. This is the start of the old Scott Homestead and the first official mention of Samuel Scott. He would have been 22 years old at this time.
On April 3, 1818, Mark Scott sold to James Brown the eastern half of Lot 6, Block L, Wentworth Div., and the eastern half of Lot 4, Block O, Wentworth Div., containing 100 acres total for £100. This is the John Giddens property, and including half of the lot immediately south of it, and is 1/2 of the land bought from Robert Towers in 1802.
On July 11, 1825, Mark Scott sold to William McAllister Lot 2, Block O, Fanning Div. for £56. This is one of the lots he bought from Archibald McLaughlin in 1801 and is located across from the Fowlers Lane from the Irving place and adjacent to the Bert Johnston place.
On Oct. 25, 1825, Mark Scott sold to Alexander Alexander Lot 6, Block F, Fanning Div., for £24. The document states that this lot was then bounded north and east of John McAllister, and on the south by Samuel Scott, and was originally granted to Mark Scott.
On April 13, 1830, Mark Scott sold to James Murphy for £75, the western half of Lot 4, Block O, Wentworth Div., and the western half of Lot 6, Block L, Wentworth Div. This is the south end of the Bagley field and the blueberry field south of the road at the top of big Tower Hill and is the rest of the lots bought from Robert Towers in 1802. The document mentions that the north boundary is by the old Tower Hill School, which was then located on Bagley Hill. This transaction was not registered until Jan. 10, 1837. In Jan. 1837 James Murphy resold the same land to William Gillispie for £200.
On June 2, 1832 Mark Scott sold to Albert Foster for £150 Lot 1, Block O, Fanning Div., containing 100 acres. This is what most recently has been occupied by Bert Johnston.
On July 17, 1832 Mark Scott sold to Theodore and Leonard Scott (his sons), for £200, Lot 5, Block O, Wentworth Div., and Lot 2, Block R Wentworth Div. These are the two Hyslop places that had been Mark's home for 30 years. The next spring, on May 10, 1833, Theodore and Leonard sold these properties to William Douglas for £500. The document mentions that the properties are bounded on the south by a line running close by the front of the Tower Hill School House which indicates that the school was then located on Bagley Hill. On Nov. 28, 1834, William Douglas and his wife Agnes sold both of these properties to William Hyslop for £350.
Mark Scott left for Ohio in 1832.
COMMENTS ON MARK SCOTT AND HIS LATER LIFE
Mark Scott was a remarkable adventurer, wheeler-dealer in land, and probably a successful lumberman, farmer and businessman.
He lived on Tower Hill for more than 30 years and during that time acquired about 870 acres of land for £150 and sold them all for about £760. He was about 70 when he left the country with most of his family and went by horse and wagon to what was then the American western frontier. It is recorded that "when remonstrated with for taking so long a journey and great burden upon himself so late in life, declared he would have the satisfaction of meeting the resurrection in a fertile land." He must have been tired of picking rocks.
Mark Scott's first cousin, George Foster, a son of Co. Benjamin Foster and Elizabeth Scott, settled on Central Tower Hill at about the same time and was Mark's neighbour, having taken land adjacent to Mark's place, where the Blueberry Experimental Farm was in the 1950's and 1960s (the corner in the Central Tower Hill Road).
There are many familiar names on the land maps, including Jordan on the Dunham Road, and many Scotts in the Honeydale area, all of whom can be matched with names of the ancestor families, including two grandsons of the first Samuel; Levi and Lydia, children of Jessie's (Joseph). also cousin and an uncle of Samuel and George Thompson who could be the son of George Thompson and Ruth Scott, Samuel's aunt; Charles, a son of another Samuel who was our Samuel's uncle.
There are no indications that any of Samuel's brothers and sisters came to New Brunswick. Another point of interest is that a John Irons lived at the corner in Honeydale where McRae's store is now; It has been said that the Irons corner was at the end of the Upper Tower Hill Road (Meridith's Corner). Irons ran the post office.
Levi Richardson had two grants on the Richardson Road.
One of the seven children of the 1791 marriage of Theodore and Olive Scott was Samuel, born in 1795. In 1807 Theodore Scott died and before his Olive completed the probation of the will, she also died. The business matters were then left to the eldest son Hiram, a boy of 15, to complete. The children were assigned to aunts and uncles to bring up and apparently Samuel was sent to New Brunswick to live with his uncle and aunt Mark and Mehitable. He emigrated to St. David in 1807.
In 1817 Samuel bought from Mark Scott Lot 5, Block F, Fanning Division. Thus started the Scott homestead on Upper Tower Hill that has stayed in the family ever since, except for a brief period in the 1970s.
Samuel was 22 years old and single when he established the farm on Lot 5. Fowler's Lane was no doubt there then, as it was built along the baseline and provided access to properties on both sides. Samuel apparently did not wish to have his home on the front of his lot adjacent to the Fowler Road and instead went up through the woods along his south line to the top of the hill where there was a spectacular view to the north. There he built a cabin and dug a well. This is the location where Theodore Scott (1907-1965), his great grandson, would later build a home. Samuel lived there for the first few years until he established the farm house and other buildings farther down the hill. He constructed the Scott Lane to provide access to the Fowler Lane.
Samuel's first wife was Vashti Foster, George Foster's daughter and Samuel's second cousin. The Foster family immigrated from Machias about the same time as the Scotts. Vashti apparently died young and it has been told that she was buried somewhere in the field across the road from the experimental farm property. There is no record of Vashti Foster's marriage or death. Samuel later had a child by a second wife, and named the child Vashti.
According to the family story, Samuel had a housekeeper after his first wife's death that was supposed to have been named Margaret Dill. She left him and went back home to St. Andrews. Samuel went after her to settle affairs and married her in St. Andrews and brought her home to Tower Hill.
Official records indicate the following: "Marriage solemnized in the Parish of St. Andrews in the County of Charlotte in the year 1835. Samuel Scott of the Parish of St. David and Margaret Kelly of the Parish of St. Andrews were married in this parish by license this 12th day of July in the year 1835 by me, Jerome Alley, DD, Rector." Samuel Scott signed, Margaret Kelly made an X, and witnesses were Peter Livan and Hugh Mastneall.
Samuel and Margaret's first child Theodore Alexander, was born April 3, 1836, corroborated by the 1851 and 1871 census, as well as the notice of death in the St. Croix Courier of Feb. 10, 1887.
The 1851 census lists the following people and ages:
Margaret 50, emigrated from Ireland 1828
Theodore A. 15
The 1871 census does not include Samuel and Margaret.
Note that Theodore was born at Oak Haven, at the Young Family homestead, and the birthplace of Theodore's future wife Clara Young.
On May 28, 1833 Samuel Scott sold to Obadiah Hadley for £112 10 sh. the east half of the lot that he had bought from Mark Scott. This is the old Irving place.
There is another transaction where Samuel Scott bought from Joel Scott (then of Ludlow, Northumberland Co.) for £50 100 acres being Lot 5, Letter T, Fanning Division on July 30, 1822. He sold this land for £50 to William Levan on June 15, 1826. The land appears to be on the Board Road in Leverville.
On Sept. 5, 1860 the following transaction is recorded:
"Samuel Scott and Margaret his wife signed over in consideration of love and affection to Theodore A. Scott and for 5 shillings the western half of Block Letter F, No. 5 and the eastern half of Block Letter F, No. 2 (The record says Lot 3, both in this record and in Theodore's will, but this seems to be a mistake as the land occupied is the east half of Lot 2) Fanning Division of the Cape Ann Grant containing in all 100 acres and being the homestead premises which on the said Samuel Scott now resides. " Signed by Samuel Scott and Margaret Scott (Margaret made her X)
So at some time Samuel had acquired the east half of Block 2 but there appears to be no record of the transaction. This would include the big blueberry fields and most of the woodland. The cultivated land is mostly on the west half of Lot 5 where Samuel originally settled. Theodore and Clara were married the same year.
Samuel died in 1861 and Margaret died in 1864.
NOTES ON SAMUEL SCOTT
Samuel Scott was certainly the developer of this Tower Hill farm, against considerable adversity. At 22 years of age he took over a property of 100 acres of forest. During the next 18 years he cleared the land, built a house and barns, and was apparently alone on that land except for a probably brief period when Vashti was with him. He was 40 years old when he married Margaret Kelly and started a small family.