Tour of St. David Parish
| Map | Parish Records | Census
| Vitals | Cemeteries
| Photos | Military
| Cape Ann | Genealogies
| History | Geology
- St. David Parish - photos
- From the Sea to the Ridges
for SPECIAL St. David Parish Map to follow tour. It will open
in a new window
- Click images for larger view.
Each will open in a new window
- 1. Oak Bay still has very productive
clamflats, a resource presently utilized by both clam harvesters
and residents. In the distance at left is part of Spoon (Cookson)
Island, and at centre are the distant Bayside hills. Oak Bay
was the route from and to the sea for settlers and 19th century
- 2. Here GALLOP STREAM enters the top
end of Oak Bay. In the distance is Spoon Island. This is a little
'mini-world' that seems so sheltered. For this view, take Hwy
755, and instead of heading north, continue towards Lily Hill.
Gallop Stream originates in Gallop Lake.
- FOOTNOTE TO HISTORY: The upper end of Oak Bay was the prime
entry point for St. David Parish in times of early settlement.
Roads were built up onto St. David Ridge and on to Moores Mills,
and that is how the first mill machinery arrived there. No streams
needed to be crossed on the way to the top end of St. David Ridge,
or the top end of Tower Hill.
- 3. The view eastwards from Smith Road
is magnificent, looking across the valley of the Waweig River
(a stream that still has wild Atlantic salmon) towards the hills
of Waweig and the Rollingdam area. This field shows clearly that
the land on the ridges can be farmed, if the time is put into
care of the land. The tributaries flowing into the Waweig carry
small amounts of placer GOLD.
- 5. The UPPER TOWER HILL ROAD gives a
good impression of the valleys and ridges typical of much of
St. David Parish.
- 6. BLUEBERRY Fields have outrageously
beautiful colour much of the year. Even in late autumn the deep
red stocks are beautiful. In October the turning leaves turn
entire hillsides vivid red.
- 7 The Moores Mills Bridge looks and feels
like an old world classic. This stretch of water along Dennis
Stream was lined with mills in the mid-19th century. The first
mill in the area was built on this stretch of water by the Moore
brothers in 1795. The shore at left is in St. David Parish, that
at right in St. James Parish.
- 8. Dennis Stream exits Moores Mills Lake,
at which point there is a small dam to hold back water. Further
downstream wild Atlantic salmon make their nests, called 'redds'.
Behind the lake are forests rising to St. David Ridge.
- 9. Oldest house in St. David Parish -
maybe! About 1 mile up St. David Ridge Road from its junction
with Murphy Road is the Cook - Johnston house, civic number 799.
The portion of this house at right is actually a classic Cape
Cod-style home, built in the fall of 1800 and spring of 1801
by Isaac Cook. Arriving in 1795 from Mass., Isaac Cook married
Susannah Dusten, daughter of a Cape Ann Loyalist who was a servent
in the household of Robert Moore. Interestingly, Isaac Cook had
been in the Revolutionary War as a soldier in Bailey's Regiment,
then 3 1/2 years in Greaton's 3rd Mass. Regiment, while his employer
and friend was of Loyalist stock.
- 10. One of the most spectacular views
in the region is from the edge of St. David Ridge, where the
road overlooks Oak Bay. In the distance is St. Croix Mountain.
In WW 2 an airplane with a New Zealand crew lost an engine, and
crashed into the side of it. Click for a WIDER view.