Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content.
Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
"Established on a rocky outcrop which dominates the Loire,
Amboise belongs powerful Foulques Nerra , to count d' Anjou,
then with the lords of Amboise. It is attached to the crown of
France under Charles VII in 1434 and is occupied in a temporary
way by Louis XI who installs there the Charlotte queen of Savoy
and his children.
The destiny of Amboise is especially related to Charles VIII
who, according to chronicles', is born to with it " in the year
from grace 1470, the demier day of June ", and which dies there
in a tragic way in 1498, as reports it Philippe de Commynes.
In the years 1490, the young king undertakes a great intention
to transform the castle of his childhood but its brutal death
puts an end to the project.
Stones of waiting, with the tower of Tiny and the Heurtault
tower, testify to the interruption of the work.
The castle developed little by little of west in is, starting
from the keep in the shape of trapezoid, located at the end of
the rocky outcrop. A North-South courtine preceded by a ditch
formerly closed this strengthened zone.
In the keep - in XVème century the word is synonymous with
castle - there remains today only one beautiful proudly
insulated Gothic vault. It was in the beginning inserted in the
royal home built by Louis XI then inhabited by Charles VIII and
Anne of Brittany .
The modern tympanum which decorates the frontage of the vault
was designed at the XIXème century to stop the open hole left by
wrenchings, which one had initially filled by a rosette in the
years 1830. The destruction of the home explains fast
lintel which surmounts the door: its tender stone was not
selected to be exposed to all the bad weather.
Beyond the strengthened line closing the keep, in the farmyard,
formerly drew up collegial Saint-Florentin which was parish
church until XVème century. For reasons of safety, in order to
limit the access to the castle of always suspect crowd to
propagate diseases - one fears more the contagion than the
insurrection -, Louis XI fact of building another parish church
in the city and holds collegial Saint-Florentin for the use of
Charles VIII fact of building or of finishing the vault of the
keep whose payments of sculpture intervene in 1496. It also
decides to cross the strengthened ditch and to build in the
farmyard. Northern side, it builds the building which still
dominates the Loire and the home in return of square which, in
the beginning, comprised a stage of less.
Southern side, it raises the home of Seven-Come whose name is
probably related to a decoration of statues and whose only
remains the lower level.
This construction is intended to shelter new the home of Charles
VIII and Anne of Brittany . Its design is extraordinary since,
contrary to the tradition, the king and the queen do not lay out
each one into clean of a room.
Each of both home is reduced to a room and garde-robe, laid out
symmetrically on both sides of a room known as "of the medium".
The room of the king also communicates with a closed gallery,
heated by a chimney, which gives on the court.
The access to the home is made by a "gallery ride a horse",
crawls narrow which occurs close to collegial and leads directly
to the third level of the home of Seven-Come, that of the home
royal. There is a similar gallery to the castle of Vigevano,
close to Milan, where it is known that Charles VIII stopped in
Charles VIII fact also of raising two enormous circular towers,
that of Tiny in north, 20 meters in diameter, and the Heurtault
tower in the south, 24 meters in diameter, finished after the
death of the king, about 1501-1502.
The last keystone of the Heurtault tower, roughed-hew with the
Revolution, still carries the trace of the prickles of the
porcupine of Louis XII . Each one of these two turns contains a
slope which gives access the castle. In north, it leads to the
gallery of the garden and the terrace of the wing Charles VIII;
at the south, it manages near the "gallery to ride a horse" who
leads to the home of the king.
In the preliminary draft, the garden designed by Pacello da
Mercogliano was to be bordered of a gallery, entirely built in
front of the rock on a thick wall, between the tower of Tiny and
the convent of the same name which was in the east of the
castle. Only the first five spans of this gallery are in place,
in the prolongation of the northern wing.
Louis XII is satisfied to finish some works in progress and
forsakes Amboise for Blois . Under François Ier , the royal home
approaches the garden. The king makes add a stage to the
building which borders the garden in the west to install the
home of the queen there, itself occupying the home of the level
placed below. The provision becomes again traditional, with a
room for each one of the home royal.
Under the reign of Catherine de Médicis and Henri II , the royal
home develops, it is transformed into a vaster apartment where
appears a new part, the anteroom, who intercalates himself
between the room and the room. Catherine de Médicis occupies the
whole of the wing inhabited previously by François Ier and
Claude of France, while a new building is built to accomodate
the apartment of the king Henri II, between the home of the
queen and the garden.
From all these constructions, much disappeared, demolished stone
by stone in the years 1805-1806 pennies the senatorery of Roger
Ducos: the home royal of the keep, the home of the
Seven-Virtues, collegial Saint-Florentin cheese, the building
built to shelter the apartment of the king Henri II. One needs
an effort of imagination to find what was the size of Amboise."
Marriage 1 Elizabeth b: bef 1765
Patricia or Patty PARIS b: 1774 in Prince Edward Co., VA
Obadiah PARIS Sr. b: ABT 1778 in Prince Edward Co., VA
Josiah PARIS b: 1780 in Prince Edward Co., VA
James PARIS Jr. b: 1779 in Prince Edward Co., VA