Yellowstone Genealogy Forum

 

St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church

(United Church of Christ – 3rd Ave South & 34th Street)

Billings, Montana

Revised 15 October 2001c

The Evangelical Lutheran St. Pauls Church was founded and incorporated on March 3, 1923. Reverend F. T. Schmidt by order of the Honorable Missions Committee of the North Dakota District of the Lutheran Synod of Iowa and other states came to Billings several times to guide the congregation in the transactions necessary to establish a new church. There were 48 founding members. Pastor Schmidt was elected to serve the church and its congregation on April 1, 1923.  Architects Link & Hair designed the building. A German master-builder, Mr. Sebodt was hired to construct the facility for $10, 750.00. The cornerstone was laid on August 5, 1923, a Sunday. Pastor H. Jannsen from Marsh, MT gave the Festival Sermon. Church history (and its congregational lists for the period of 1923 through 1992) has been donated to the Forum by Howard Guenthner. The church was officially closed by membership vote as of March 29, 1992.

These files are available for research in the GenRoom.

 

 

The founding church officers were:

Adam Bender – Moderator                              Jacob Strecker - Trustee

Jacob Walter – Treasurer                                 Conrad Wacker - Trustee                                

Fredrick Roth – Secretary                                Conrad Lenhardt – Trustee

Original Founding Members (August 5, 1923) were:

Henry Amen, Jacob Alles, Henry Badt, Jacob Bekel, George Bender, George Deines, John Gisick, Henry C. Guenther, Henry Gunther, Sr., Jacob Eckhardt, Conrad Hein Sr., Conrad Hein, Jr., John Hein, Sr., John Hein, Jr., John Hergett, George Kissler, Conrad Kristel, Jacob Koch, George Lackman, David Lackman, Sr., Henry D. Lackman, Jr., David miller, George miller, Frederick Rutt, Jacob Ruff, Henry Rehm, Alexander Rauh, Philipp Reuter, Jacob Sailor, George Schlentz, George Stieber, David Stieber, Henry Stieber, Jacob Strecker, Jr., Wilhelm Walter, Frederich Walter, Andreas Worm, Sr., Andreas Worm, Jr., John Yerger, and George Yerger.

There are three ledgers in the set: [Most of the information is presented in German]

Ledger I – 1914 to 1926

      Personen – oder Seelen [Membership]

      Tauf [Baptism]

      Konfirmation [Confirmation]

      Toten [Death]

Ledger II – 1925 to 1949

      Miscellaneous, church seals and membership lists

      Gemeinde – Beamten (1923 – 1927) [Congregational officers]

      Personen – oder Seelen [Membership]

      Tauf – [Baptism]

      Konfirmanden – [Confirmation]

      Trau – [Marriages]

      Toten – [Death]

      Kommunikanten – [Candidate for Confirmation]

      Miscellaneous  - [Member contribution, chronicles of events from April 1944 through August 17, 1952]

Ledger III – 1950 through 1995

      Members

      Congregation History

      Baptisms – 1950 through 1981

      Confirmands – 1950 through 1981

      Marriage Records – 1950 through 1983

      Deaths – 1950 through 1995, including some obituaries.

Original records are stored at Rocky Mountain College in Billings, MT. Evelyn J. White, Rudolph & Marjorie Lenhardt Lackman during the summer of 2000, copied the records.

 

Return Home

 

 

____________________________________________
USGenWeb Project NOTICE: 
In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor for commercial presentation by any other organization. 
 
Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than as stated above, must obtain express written permission from the author, or the submitter and from the listed USGenWeb Project archivist.