Reverend ANGUS JOHNSON, was the first Superintendent of Education in
Tallahatchie County- February 7, 1849. There is no record of his successor until.-
M. B. AVERY, served from 1871 until 1879, Salary $280.00 annually.
ANTHONY CORNIELUS FONDA, 1897 until 1888, salary unknown.
J. L. McCORKLE, 1888 until 1890, salary $ 35.00 per month.
Reverend H. M. MORRISON, 1890 until 1893. Salary unknown. During his term
of office, the Tallahatchie Male and Female Academy situated northeast of Charleston
was erected; also the Cascilla Normal School at Cascilla. In 1892, the term of office
of the Superintendent was extended from two years to four.
J. L. McCORKLE, 1893 until 1895, salary $ 40.00 per month: due to his death,
Mr. McCorkle’s unexpired term was served by N. R. Turner, who served for six
JOEL D. RICE, 1895 until 1899, salary unknown; during Mr. Rice’s term, the
Charleston High School, valued at $2000.00, was built.
H. H. WOMBLE, 1899 until 1903. Salary unknown. He was re-elected and
served until 1907, during which term he received $75.00 per month.
J. H. WALLACE, 1908 until 1920, salary $100.00 per month; during Mr. Harrison’s
second term of office, in 1917, the Agricultural High School was built in Charleston.
In 1918, the Charleston High School and the Glendora Grammar School was built.
JOHN McCULLAH, 1920 until 1924, salary $175.00 per month; during his first term,
the Tippo Grammar School, the Philipp High School, and the Cowart School were built.
Mr. McCullah was re-elected and served until 1928, during which term, he received
$200.00 monthly. The Tutwiler High School, the Webb High School, (now the Webb-
Swan Lake Consolidated School), the Brazil School, the Sumner High School, and the
Blue Lake Grammar School were all built during his second term.
W. H. MORGAN, 1928 until 1932, salary $250.00 per month. The Enid High School
was built in 1931.
R. H. HARRISON, 1932 until 1936; salary $225.00 per month. The Paynes High School
was built in 1932 and the Paynes Teacherage in 1936; the Cascilla School (High School)
was built in 1935.
TALLAHATCHIE COUNTY MISSISSIPPI SCHOOL HISTORY
February 7, 1849 to February 24, 1937
Compiled by Nick Denley
R. H. HARRISON, 1932- 1938
MRS. JETER HARRISON, 1938- 1938
WEBSTER BUCHANAN, 1938-1944
W. W. GUNN, 1944- 1948
AL G. THOMAS, 1948- 1952
J. G. “RED” THOMASON, JR., 1952- 1960
WILLIAM LEWIS BREWER, SR., 1960-1988
DAVID HARGETT- 1988- 1992
East Tallahatchie School- 1992- 2000
CASSEY PENNINGTON, 1992- 1996
West Tallahatchie School
REGINALD BARNES, 1996- 2000
West Tallahatchie School
We are grateful to Nick Denley, Clerk of Chancery Court for this information.
Index of County Offices of Tallahatchie County Mississippi
Return Main Page
Updater: This page was last updated Tuesday, 14-Nov-2006 14:47:19 MST
If you have any suggestions, questions about this page, or have information you would like to add,
Lela Evans or Helen Arnold.
[Government] [History] [Lookups] [Marriages] [Military]
[Obituaries] [Physicians] [Queries] [Reunions] [Search]
© Copyright 1998-2004 by Helen Arnold & Lela Evans. All rights reserved. This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without our consent. Information from this site may be freely used by individuals doing private, family research.