Federal Hill Cemetery, St. Francois County, Missouri

Back to Cemeteries Index Page
Home Page

FEDERAL HILL CEMETERY, a/k/a COFFMAN
CEMETERY, a/k/a DAVIS CEMETERY
Park Hills (formerly Flat River), Missouri
 
Photographed 11/19/05 by B. Warner
(See below for history of this cemetery.)

coffman_scenic1.jpg (92500 bytes)

  

Unfortunately, there were very few identifiable stones found in this cemetery.  Many tombstones were broken off and gone, perhaps due to acts of vandalism, or perhaps  when graves were removed due to construction of mining operations.  Many graves are marked with field rocks.   There are lots of depressions in ground which are obviously graves but do not bear any type of marker. Click on links below to view the few stones/markers which were found.

HUGHS, ____nda L., died 1898
NICHOLSON, William, son of W. L. & M. L.    View #2     View As Found
P. E. N. Footstone (no matching headstone found)

Unknown #1

Unknown #2

Unknown #3

Unknown #4

Unknown #5 Unknown #6 Unknown #7 Unknown #8
Unknown #9 Unknown #10 Unknown #11 Unknown #12

Unknown #13
(3-4 ltrs. visible)

Unknown #13
View #2

Unknown #14

Unknown #15

Unknown #16

Unknown #17

Unknown #18

Unknown #19

Unknown #20

     

 

coffman_scenic4.jpg (62515 bytes)

coffman_scenic5.jpg (60498 bytes)

 

coffman_scenic2.jpg (120249 bytes)

 

~~~ BRIEF HISTORY ~~~

Federal Hill Cemetery, also known as the Coffman Cemetery, was located at the North end of Congress street, about 200 feet south.  Some say it was also formerly known as the Davis Cemetery and later named the Coffman Cemetery.  Mr. Davis formerly owned the Shaw tract of land which was sold to the Central Lead Company in 1893.  The cemetery had approximately 50 or more graves.   Federal Lead Company in 1902 and 1903 sunk shaft No. 4 at the south end of the cemetery and, in order for the company to put in a switch, it was necessary to extend the operation into the cemetery.  Orders were given to remove some of the bodies, but very few were removed.  Today, there are very few grave markings remaining.   In 1903 the Federal Lead Company built several two story frame houses on Congress Street for the foreigners who were employed by the company in the mines.  In 1908, these houses were moved to what was then known as No. 7 Town located south of Highway 32 or East Main Street in Gofftown about Third, Fourth and Fifth Streets, south of East Main Street. 

If anyone has information concerning possible burials in this cemetery, please e-mail us by clicking HERE.  

Note:  The above information was obtained from documentation on file at the Park Hills Public Library.

 

Back to Cemeteries Index Page
Home Page