WILLIAM S. BARRY
|William S. Barry, a native of St. Francois County,
was born in October, 1836, and is the son of Wilson and Ann (Welborn) Barry. The father a
native of Virginia, born September 1, 1796, and was of Irish-Welsh descent. He was a
farmer by occupation, and immigrated to Missouri in 1820, where he married Miss Welborn.
She was the mother of ten children, four of whom are now living. Mr. Barry settled in St.
Francois County, where he followed agricultural pursuits until his death, May 4, 1886. His
wife was born September 21,1798, and died in 1853. William S. Barry, the subject of this
sketch, has lived until the present (1888) in his native county. At the age of twenty he
chose for his life's companion Miss Frances Parkes, daughter of Hastings and Ruth (Laws)
Parkes. Mr. Parkes was born in North Carolina and is still living, being seventy-eight
years old. His wife was also a native of North Carolina, and died in St. Francois County
in 1866 at the age of sixty-four years. To William S. Barry and wife were born an
interesting family of six children, five now living: Wilson M., Norah, John H., Jennie and
Nellie A. Several of the children have attended the Baptist College in Farmington and have
received good educations. Mr. Barry is at present the owner of 273 acres of land situated
two miles east of Doe Run Lead Mines, and has discovered rich samples of lead ore on his
farm. He is a Democrat in politics, and a member of the United Baptist Church.
GOODSPEEDS HISTORY OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI, Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1888, Page 622.
BIOGRAPHIES INDEX PAGE