JUDGE JOHN W. HIGHLEY
Judge John W. Highley, a prominent citizen of Marion Township, was born in St. Francois County, November 19, 1838. His father, William M. Highley, was a native of Virginia and after some years in Kentucky came as a young man to St. Francois County among the number who were its earliest pioneers. His wife [wife of William M.] was formerly Miss Loudica McKee. John W. received a common school education, and spent his early life in duties on the farm. In 1861 he enlisted in the Missouri State Guards under Jeff Thompson, in Col. Smith's regiment, and later resumed the rural life of his youth, which he now chose as the work of his life. He now resides on his farm of 147 acres in Marion Township. In 1878, he was elected judge of the county court, and served two successive terms as associate judge, but in November, 1886, he was elected presiding judge, the position he has since so ably filled. He was the chosen candidate of his own party--the Democratic organization. On March 10, 1868, he married Miss Eliza McHenry, a native of St. Francois County, born March 23, 1836. Of the seven children born to this union, there are Jeremiah E., Ardelia C., Ava G., Katie J., Otto A., and Otto C. Both Judge and Mrs. Highley are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is also a member of two fraternities--the A. F. & A. M. and A. O. U. W.
GOODSPEEDS HISTORY OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI
John W. Highley's middle name is Webster. His exact date of
death or place of burial have yet to be confirmed to us. Since his wife, Eliza
[McHenry] Highley, is buried in the McHenry-Highley Cemetery on Conway Road near Park Hills, Missouri,
it's highly possible he's buried there too, but there is no tombstone there bearing his
name. Prior to her marriage to John W. Highley, Eliza was married to William
Ross Andrews who died in either 1864 or 1865.
BACK TO BIOGRAPHIES