FAYETTE P. GRAVES
|Fayette P. Graves, one of the enterprising spirits
that developed the resources of the Doe Run Lead Mines, was born in Rochester, N.Y.,
January 17, 1848, and is the only child now living born to the union of William H. and
Julia (Parsons) Graves, who died when Fayette P. Graves was quite a little child. The
latter, after the death of his parents, was sent to Hillsdale, Mich., by his uncle, and
while there attended the high schools until the age of sixteen. He then went to
Massachusetts and when eighteen years of age had his first experience in lead mining at
Southampton in that State. He also, during his stay in that State, attended the Williston
Seminary at Easthampton, walking to and from the mines a distance of eight miles daily,
but before completing the entire course, left school and came to Missouri, where he was
engaged in the employ of the St Joe Lead Company, in 1868, at what is now known as Bonne
Terre. After working in the mills for about two years, he then took a position in the
office where he remained from 1870 to 1887 as cashier. He then moved to Doe Run, Mo.,
having resigned his position with the St. Joe Lead Company, and connected himself with Doe
Run Lead Company, where he still remains as assistant superintendent, secretary and one of
the stockholders in the firm. In 1871, while at Bonne Terre, he married Miss Mary E.
Woodside, and to them were born five children, three now living: John B, Gertrude and
Fayette P. Mr. Graves is a member of the Masonic fraternity, also of the A.O.U.W. He and
wife are also members of the Congregational Church at Bonne Terre, Mo. He affiliates with
the Republican party in his political views. During his entire stay at Bonne Terre, Mr.
Graves was sick but thirty days, and in the nineteen years of business at that place lost
but four months of time.
GOODSPEEDS HISTORY OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI, Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1888, page 636-637.
BIOGRAPHIES INDEX PAGE