Woodlawn Cemetery located on old Highway 67 near Leadington has been turned over to the citizens of Leadington for future care and maintenance.
The cemetery plot was given to Elvins Lodge No. 599 A.F. & A.M. by Doe Run Lead Co., in 1909 and title remained to the lodge until 1965 when it was turned over to the citizens of Leadington. According to information given The News, Masonic Lodges cannot own cemeteries. As years passed after the establishment of the cemetery, grass, weeds and brush just about took it over. Some who had relatives interred there lost interest in keeping it up thus creating an eyesore.
According to a News informant a number of old graves were discovered in a distant corner which had been called "Paupers" grave yard, the graves having been prepared many years before the plot was given to the Masonic Lodge. Who knows who occupies the graves or when they were prepared. It was found that some trees of considerable size had been cut, evidently by timber thieves, and the stumps left some five or six feet high. There was an old thorn tree which was recently cut down after having been dead for many years, which stood near the entrance gate. Tree experts estimated that the tree was probably 350 years old or more.
The organization has been incorporated under the name Woodlawn St. Francois County Cemetery Association. The present members of the board are: John Radford, Chairman; O. W. Fingers, Sr., Vice Chairman; Darwood Thurman, Secy-Treas.; Leo McClary and Earl Lore. A new riding power mower has been purchased and now in use at at a cost of $750 and plans are being made to purchase another one. Needless to say the association would be happy to receive contributions from those who are interested to help in the work of restoration. A flag ceremony was held at the cemetery Monday conducted by the Farmington VFW Post in honor of the dead.
TO CEMETERY INDEX