Biographies L - MoGenWeb

Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri
Biographies of Scott County, 1888


A.P. Lane

A.P. Lane was born in Mississippi County, Mo., July 31, 1838 and is a son of Robert and Ruth (Gaty) Lane, both natives of Missouri. The grandparents settled in Missouri when it was a Territory. The paternal grandmother, Bridget Lane, used to tell the children of her picking up her rifle and bringing down a bear at a shot. She was in her eightieth year at the time of her death. The Lanes settled in what is known as Price's Landing, when there were but few other settlers there. They reared a family of four children, all of whom are now dead. Robert Lane was born in 1809, and was a resident of Southeast Missouri, during his life. He was a farmer and merchant, and died in1852. His wife died in 1846. They had four children, of whom A.P. Lane is the only survivor. Those deceased are Mary M. (died in 1846, aged six years), Eliza (died on March 6, 1848, aged four years), and James Y.W. (Died on March 19, 1856 aged 513n56-one years). The subject of this sketch was reared in his native county, remaining with his parents until their deaths, after which he remained on the homestead for several years. At the age of sixteen years, by an act of the Legislature, he took charge of the farm and slaves that his father had owned. In 1874 he removed to St. Francois County, Mo., and remained until January 1889, when he removed to his present farm in Scott County. It consists of 560 acres of land with 275 acres under cultivation. In 1861 he enlisted in Price's Company (Confederate), one of the first to leave Southeast Missouri. He served in the cavalry under Jeff. Thompson, and participated in several hard skirmishes. He was captured on Long Prairie, and was sent by way of St. Louis to Alton Prison, where he was confined four months, during which time he fared very roughly. Here he took the oath of allegiance, and returned home. While in the service he was commissioned as second lieutenant, in which capacity he served for some time. On January 8, 1863, he wedded Margaret, a daughter of John Swank. They have had eight children. Those living were born as follows: Robert, November 5, 1863; Albert P., November 29, 1866; Maud, May 18, 1869; Ettie, March 7, 1872 and Clarence, October 14, 1875. Those deceased are Claude (who died on August 21, 1876) and two who died in infancy. Mrs. Lane died September 22, 1881. She was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as is also Mr. Lane.

Marquis M. Lawrence

Marquis M. Lawrence, a blacksmith, wagon-maker and dealer in farm implements, at Morley, Mo., was born in Barren County, Ky., on March 16, 1847, and is a son of Thomas G. Lawrence, a native of England, who came to America in 1843, and located in Kentucy, where he followed cabinet making, having learned the trade in England. He married Candanza Fitzgerald, a native of Kentucky, and resided there until his death in 1864, aged forty-five years. His wife died in 1861, aged forty years. They had seven children: Marquis M., Thomas L., Elizabeth, Elvira, Susan J., Appelonia and Bellezora, living. William G. went to the Black Hills in 1879, and has not been heard from since. In 1863 Marquis M. enlisted in Company H., Eleventh Kentucky Cavalry, and served until mustered out at Louisville, Ky., in 1865. After the war he went to Edmonson County, Ky., and located on a farm near the Mammoth Cave, and was engaged in agricultural pursuits for one year, after which he followed engineering for four years. He then served an apprenticeship in a blacksmith shop in Munfordsville, Ky., after which he was engaged in black smithing, in Kentucky, until 1875, when he removed to Southeast Missouri, and located at Morley. He and his brother, Thomas, began the blacksmith business together, and continued until 1881, when they dissolved partnership, Marquis M. continuing the business. Thomas went to Arkansas and engaged in the same business. Mr. Lawrence married Martha A. Lee, who was born and reared in Kentucky. They have five children: Luella, Louis, Marquis, Lolla and Appellonia. Mr. Lawrence is a member of the I.O.O.F. and of the K. of P.

J. Francis Legrand

J. Francis Legrand was born in Belgium in 1828, on the 28th of January, and is a son of Henry J. and Mary Ann Legarand, natives of Belgium, who wee married in their native country. In 1846 Henry J. Legrand, with his family, set sail for the United States. Landing in New York City, they went to Massillon, Ohio and remained three years, when they came to Southeast Missouri and located in Scott County, one and one-half miles from New Hamburg. Henry J. Legrand was a carpenter by trade. He died in 1858, aged sixty-two years, and his wife in 1868, aged seventy-five years. J. Francis Legrand remained with his parents until he was twenty-three years of age, when he was married and began work for himself. In 1852 he came to his present farm in Moreland Township, Scott County, which at that time was heavily timbered. He now has 120 acres under a good state of cultivation, and fifty acres of fine timbered land. In 1878 he was elected judge of the county court in the Second District, and was re-elected in 1880. He has also served as school director fifteen years. In 1850 his marriage with Mary Charlier was celebrated the 26th of November. She was born in Belgium, and came with her parents to the Untied States in 1846. The parents first located in Ohio, but later came to Cape Girareau County, Mo., where she was married. To Mr. And Mrs. Legrand have been born eight children. Joseph died at the age of eighteen; Anna died when six months old; Louis married Mary Hakes, and they have two children; Nicholas married Regina Westrich, and they have one child; Mary (wife of Adam Dionberger) is the mother of two daughter; John B. Shot himself accidentally at the age of sixteen; Leo and Felix are at home. Mrs. Legrand died February 13, 1886. Mr. Legrand is an earnest member of the Catholic Church at New Hamburg.

William M. Lusk

Rev. William M. Lusk, now a farmer of Commerce Township, Scott County, was born in Hardin County, Ky., on March 21, 1818. His grandfather, Hugh Lusk, a natiave of Ireland, with a brother came to America in search of a home about the beginning of the Revolutionary War, and located in Kentucky near the old "Crab Orchard". They both served in the war for independence, and the brother was killed in battle. Hugh carried a ball in his ankle, which he received on the battlefield, to his grave. The latter's wife as Elizabeth McMurtry, also a native of Ireland. They lived to be very old, he coming to his death by a sitck hitting him in the temple, while breaking kindling. Their son, Samuel Lusk, was the father of the subject of this sketch. He married Elizabeth Lane, of English descent. Samuel Lusk was drafted in the War of 1812, and was in the battle of Tippecanoe. In 1853 he removed his family to Arkansas, and soon after came to Mississippi County, Mo., to visit some of his children when he was taken sick and died, aged seventy-one years. He was born in 1785. To him and wife were born nine children: James H., John A., William M., Nancy, Warren C., Elizabeth, Mary, Martha, and Thomas. Mary (Mrs. Page) resides near Price's Landing. Warren lives in Texas, and Thomas in Illinois. The last three, with William M., are the only ones living. William M. came to Southeast Missouri in March 1847, and engaged in farming in Scott County, He purchased land covered with heavy timber, which he improved and made his home until 1883, when he sold and removed to his present farm. He was first married in 1842 to Mahala Carlton, a native of Hardin County, Ky. She died in 1844, leaving one child, Rachel Ann, now the wife of J. Crenshaw, of Charleston. On December 6, 1845, he married Sarah Ann Carlton, a sister of his first wife, who died several years after removing to Scott County, having borne seven children, three of whom are living: William H. (a physician), Henry W. (who is managing the home farm) and Elizabeth L. (Mrs. Charles Stone). Mr. Lusk married his present wife, Maria H. (Goddard) Freeman widow of H. Freeman, on August 1, 880. She has two children by her first marriage: Nettie and Charles. Mr. Lusk has been an ordained deacon in the Methodist Episcopal Church South for over thirty years. He is also a member of the A.F. & A.M.