United Daughters of the Confederacy
The name "United Daughters of the Confederacy" is a registered trademark of the General Organization and may not be used outside the Organization without the express written consent of the United Daughters of the Confederacy®.
Marshall, Saline County, Missouri
The Robert E. Lee #552 chapter has been part of the Marshall, Missouri and Saline County communities since 1889. The City of Marshall, with a population of 13,065*, features a thriving town square and a busy county seat.
The Marshall UDC chapter, like the city itself, maintains its small town, friendly personality, but it is a progressive chapter that wholeheartedly supports the national programs and objectives of UDC.
Daughters work with community programs that assist veterans and senior citizens, enhance community improvement projects and encourage genealogical research and historic preservation. Each year, the members make and donate lap robes to a nearby nursing home. An annual clothing and toiletries drive provides assistance to a local shelter that serves domestic abuse victims.
Chapter members remain very active in state UDC activities for children, assisting and working tirelessly for Children of the Confederacy. The chapter maintains a scholarship fund to recognize outstanding students and encourage their educational objectives. Since 2010 the chapter has awarded twelve scholarships.
Looking ahead to the next 100 years, the daughters will seek additional ways to enhance UDC and community projects and continue to maintain a fierce pride in their southern heritage. The Marshall daughters are proud to be part of this progressive community.
This enduring landmark in the center of Marshall Square is a legacy of nineteenth century architecture. The 1882 cross-gabled courthouse with central tower has become, for many residents, "The Light of Saline County."
An electric flag donated by the Marshall UDC chapter is displayed on the north side of the courthouse.
Mounted on the north side of the Saline County Courthouse, is a six-foot electric American flag. The flag was donated by the Marshall UDC chapter in October 1917.
By the 1980s, however, time had taken its toll on the flag. The lights had stopped working, and the bright colors had faded.
In 2003, the Marshall UDC daughters began an aggressive campaign to repair the flag. The daughters spearheaded community fundraising drives, made items for craft sales, and solicited support from the local business community. The citizens of Marshall responded, showing strong support for the restoration program. Through monetary and labor contributions from local businesses and donations from local residents and UDC members, the flag was removed from the courthouse and completely restored. Additionally, the chapter raised enough money to establish a fund for the continued maintenance of the flag by the county. The flag was remounted on the courthouse in 2005
The Saline County Courthouse
The Electric Flag
If you are interested in being part of UDC, please email us for information on membership.
Marshall - R. E. Lee Chapter