|Writing Bridge History
– The history of the former wooden covered bridge at
Stoutsville, shown above in this photo owned by Mrs. Ruth
Johannaber of Paris, is bring written by Miss Pauline Bryan of
south of Paris. It was built in 1856-57 for $5,000 and
was taken down in 1931 when the present U.S. Highway 24 bridge
was built across North Fork of Salt River at the Jordan
The view is to the
southeast, or downstream, and in the background, looking under
the old bridge, may be seen the concrete pillars that support
the present bridge. This is probably one of the last
photographs made of the ancient structure before it was
destroyed. Some of the approach stones still rest on the
river bank north of the Jordan station.
Source: Undated article
from unknown newspaper. Submitted by Mary Beth Kirtlink.