Landmarks of Monroe County  



Landmarks in the City of Paris

Monroe County Courthouse - Constructed in 1912, it was the last domed courthouse built in Missouri. It was constructed of limestone, marble and granite at a cost of $100,00. The Great Seal of Missouri is featured in mosaic tile on the floor of the rotunda.
Murals - In the rotunda are four murals painted by Mrs. Doris Hill of Paris, each depicting a 50 year period.
Veterans Memorial - dedicated in 1991.
Historical Society Museum - Relics of early days. Paintings are by Gordon Snidow, notable Cowboy artis , born in Paris. Museum is located in the first floor of the courthouse.
Male Academy - East Monroe Street. Built in 1850. There are 13 rooms and space for 30 boarders.
Judge D.H. Moss Home - 403 W. Locust. Built in 1884 on the Queen Anne Style, it was one of handsomest and most complete residences in Northeast Missouri. The home contains 11 large rooms.
Brace Home - Located on Rock Road. Built in 1850, there are two large front rooms separated by hall. Each room has a fireplace. There is a large curved oak stairway to the four second floor bedrooms.
Union Covered Bridge - The only "Burr-arch" covered bridge left in Missouri is located near Paris. Named for the Union Church which once stood nearby. This 125 foot-long, 17 1/2 foot-wide bridge was built in 1871 by Joseph C. Elliott for $5,000.
Broughton House - 313 E. Madison. Built in 1831. The original church building of the Baptist Congregation.
Robert M. Burgess House - 316 W. Monroe. Built in 1860, a French mansard style containing eight rooms of solid brick construction, it has huge hand cut stones for a foundation. Exterior plans are said to have been used in part for Governor's Mansion in Jefferson City.
Clay Mallory Home - 328 W. Marion. Probably the oldest building in Paris. The abstract shows that in 1831 J.C. Fox bought the land and built the house.
Thomas Conyer's House - Built in 1845, the original house has rafters of saplings, with one side only hewed flat to hold roof sheathing, the rest of the saplings still carrying the original bark. Three of the original soft pine, wide board floors are in use. Interior walls are of solid brick, each with its own foundation. The north part, added in 1905, has eight heavy curved glass windows on the northwest corner. The home is located at 122 Payne St. and was once by Mr. & Mrs. R.I. Colborn.
W.B Priest Family Home - West of Paris on Hwy 24. It was built prior to the Civil War. Of brick construction. its outer walls are solid, as well as the inner division walls. 
Allen Home - Built in 1869, the ground floor contains five large rooms, the baseboards are hand grained, with a walnut curved stairway, spindles and newell post, with four bedrooms upstairs. The front portico floor and steps were made of hand hewn rocks, as well as the foundation and the bottom window casings. Located at the south edge of Paris on Hwy 15.
Caretaker's Building - Walnut Grove Cemetery. The original building's design is Little Dixie Victorian architecture constructed around 1870. The round turret originally enclosed a water tower for storage of water. A directory has been placed at the entrance of the cemetery.
MarkTwain State Park/Shrine - Located a Florida, the quarter of a century old museum is a tribute to Samuel Clemens.
Clemens Family Mural - Post Office, West Monroe. It has hung in the lobby since 1940 and depicts the arrival at Florida of the Clemens family before "Mark Twain" was born. Fred G. Carpenter, artist.
Three-Section Tombstone - Founder's Cemetery, north edge of Paris. Possibly only one in the world to list three wives of one husband.
Rockwell Visit - A reproduction of the Norman Rockwell painting "The Country Editor" can be seen in the office of the Monroe County APPEAL at Paris. Rockwell came to Paris and used the Appeal's editor, the late Jack Blanton, and other employees as his models.
First Baptist church-North Main, Built in 1917. It is red brick with a Greek porch.
First Christian Church - Caldwell & Washington. Built in 1910, the gray brick structure is English Gothic type. The bell that hangs in the church hung in the steeple of the church in 1848.
Presbyterian Church-West Caldwell St., built in 1920 of red brick and features a Greek porch.
Paris Public Library - 101 N. Main St. Tapestry brick-Greek Style built in 1914, given in memory of the Dulaney family. the inside has a marble entrance, surrounded by beautiful wood.
Bicentennial Tree - 710 Cleveland. the Oak Tree is over 300 years olds.
California Redwood Tree - 406 W. Monroe. It was brought by covered wagon from California in 1832.
Source: Paris Chamber of Commerce

List of Places in Monroe County on the
National Historical Register

Crigler Mound Group Archeological Site Address Restricted Florida 05/21/1969 69000115 

Monroe Holliday Petroglyphs Address Restricted Holliday 01/11/1974 74001083 

Monroe Mark Twain State Park Picnic Shelter at Buzzard's Roost Off MO 107 Santa Fe 03/04/1985 ECW Architecture in Missouri State Parks 1933-1942 TR 85000515 

Monroe Paris Male Academy 411 E. Monroe St. Paris 07/19/1990 90001103 

Monroe Twain, Mark, Birthplace Cabin Mark Twain State Park, 2.5 mi. S of Florida on MO 107 Florida
05/21/1969 69000116 

Monroe Union Covered Bridge 6 mi. W of Paris on Elk Fork of the Salt River Paris 06/15/1970 70000342 

Monroe Violette, Merritt, House Off MO 107 Florida 09/08/1983 83001031 

Monroe Washington School 529 S. Locust St. Monroe City 12/29/1994 94001502 

 Graphics courtesy of Rhiossampler