Directory of Towns in Iron County, Missouri
A Directory of Towns, Villages and Hamlets Past and Present of Iron County, Missouri

Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser, June 1977.


ALLEN
See Annapolis.

ANNAPOLIS
This community is another of the towns that changed its name for reasons presently unknown. Its original name is said to have been "Allen", but this was changed to Annapolis in the 1870's with the coming of the St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern Railroad, now called the Missouri Pacific. [The Empire That Missouri Pacific Serves, page 190.]

It was named in 1876, for Anna, wife of Thomas Allen,Railroad president, with a side-glance at Annapolis, Maryland.
Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names, Ramsay, page 72.
It was laid out in 1871; 1 hotel, 2 stores, 1 church, and 1 public school. Population about 60 in 1874.
Campbell’s Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, page 262.
Annapolis was settled about 1872. It was incorporated about 1872, but the incorporation was allowed to lapse. The first mayor was C. Hart. There were four general stores, a sawmill and a planning mill in the town. Population was 160 (1912).
History of Southeast Missouri, 1912, Douglas, Vol. 1 page 378.
It is located at Section 15,16, Township 31 North, Range 3 East, at the junction of Highways K, 49 and F.
General Highway Map of Iron County, issued by the Missouri State Highway Department. Unless other wise noted all map descriptions are from this map.

ARCADIA
When Iron County was organized there were two villages within its borders: Arcadia and Middlebrook. Arcadia was laid out in 1849, and owes its existence to what was the Arcadia High School. That institution was founded by Rev. J.C. Berryman, and conducted under the auspices of the M.E. Church, South. A short time prior to the Civil War, he became the proprietor of the institution and managed it until forced to abandon it in 1861. (Later the school was re-opened, and eventually it became known as "Arcadia College".)
The first stores at Arcadia were opened by Ezekiel Mathews and Smith and Love. In 1847 Josiah and J.C. Berryman built a steam saw and grist mill a short distance from the town, which they sold to Holloman Bros. In 1870 Arcadia was incorporated--with Charles S. Eisner, John R. Higdon, John Albert, William Fletcher and A. Roberson as trustees. At that time it was a thriving business point, but for the past few years it has steadily declined, and now only two small stores are maintained. (1888).
History of Southeast Missouri, 1888, Goodspeed, pp.454,455.
It is located at Section 5, 6, Township 33 North, Range 4 East, on Highways 21, M, C, and D.

BANNER
Banner is located at Section 32, 33, Township 35 North, Range 2 East, on Highway 32.

BELLEVIEW
Belleview is located at Section 5, 6, Township 34 North, Range 3 East, on Highways 21 and O.
The name is an Anglicized form of spelling for the French "Bellevue". The French came to this section of Missouri in 1795.
Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names, Ramsay, page 121.
It is a post-office 6 miles west of Iron Mountain (St.Francois County,) Gazetteer of Missouri, page 262
It is in Iron Township, in the northeastern part of the county near Washington Co. line.

BIXBY
Bixby is a post-office located at Section 12, Township 34 North, Range 2 East at the junction of Highways 32 and 49.

BRULE see BANNER
It is 6 1/2 miles west of Belleview, in northern part of the county.
The State of Missouri in 1904, page 409.
It was named for the French word meaning "burnt".
How Missouri, Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named, 3rd Article, page 176.
Brule post-office was discontinued as of October 31, 1919. Thereafter it was supplied via Belleview.
Missouri Manual, 1918-19 page 732.

BUICK
Buick is located at Section 26, Township 34 North, Range 2 East, on State Hwy KK. south of 32.

Note added by Jerry Clements:  Buick was a small settlement with a general store & post office with several homes nearby and is today occupied by The Doe Run Company's Buick Mine. In the early 1900's a railroad served and ended at Buick. Like the Town of Bixby, Buick was also named after a Railroad Official. Like most other settlements in this area, Buick was dependant on timber workings & small farms scattered throughout. The general store was owned & operated by my Grandparents, Harry & Zelma Mathes until the mid 1940's when my parents Lowell & Grace Clements purchased it from them and operated it until 1965/66. The post office was also operated by my Grandparents as well as my Parents until it closed through consolidation of US Post Offices.

 

BURGUNDY
It was a post-office in the western part of the county, 3 miles west of Goodland.
The State of Missouri, in 1904, page 409; Missouri Manual, 1903-04.

CASEBOLT
The location of this former post-office is unknown. Post-office was discontinued as of July 31, 1917; thereafter it was served via Bixby.
Missouri Manual, 1917-1918, page 644.

CHLORIDE
Chloride was located at Section 14, Township 32 North, Range 3 East, on Highway 49 approximately midway between Arcadia and Annapolis.

CONCANNON
It was in the south central part of the county, in Liberty Township, near the Union Township line. It was in Township 31 North, Section 35.
New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map #31.

CROSS ROADS
Cross Roads was 10 miles from Ironton, in the valley of Arcadia; it had 4 stores, 2 public schools, and a population of about 75. (1874).
Gazeteer of Missouri, page 262.

DES ARC
The town of Des Arc was settled first in the year 1800, the early settlers being David Shaver, Andrew Wallace and Major McFadden. The town was not incorporated as a town until 1880. The first mayor was Charles H. Collins. There were seven stores; two handle factories, two gristmills, one broom factory and two sawmills in 1912.
History of Southeast Missouri, 1912, Vol. 1 page 377, Douglas.It is 28 miles south of Ironton; had 3 stores, 1 hotel and a public school; population about 100 (1874).
Gazetteer of Missouri, page 262. Des Arc, meaning the "bow" or bend, so named from the bend in the railroad near the place.
How Missouri Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named, 3rd Article, page 176. An Indian Name; Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names, Ramsay, pps 37, 40, 42. It is located at Section 17, 18, Township 30 North, Range 4 East, on Highways 29 and N, near the Wayne County line.

EAST END (GOODLAND POST OFFICE)
It is located at Section 3, Township 34 North, Range 1 East, on Highways 32 and Z.

ENOUGH
Enough is located at Section 27, Township 35 North, Range 1 East.

FOOTE
Foote is a post-office listed in Missouri Manual, 1893 -94, page 291. It was southeast of Goodwater. Sectional Map of Missouri, 1894, Rand, McNally & Company.

FORT DAVIDSON
See Pilot Knob.

GHERMANVILLE
Ghermanville was near the Granite Quarry, 4 miles north of Ironton, and was settled in 1873. It had 1 store and a population of about 75.
Gazetteer of Missouri, page 262. (No longer listed.)

GLOVER
Glover is in the south central part of the county, 8 miles south of Hogan.
The State of Missouri, in 1904, page 409. It is located at Section 2, Township 32 North, Range 3 East, on Highway 21, south of 49.

GOODLAND (EAST END)
It is in the Southwest part of the county, in Dent Township.
New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map #31. It is 3 miles southeast of Burgundy.
The State of Missouri, in 1904, page 409. It is located at Section 23, Township 34 North, Range 1 East, in Dent Township, near the Washington-Crawford-Iron County line.
New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, map #31; The State of Missouri, in 1904, page 409; Gazetteer of Missouri, page 262.

GOODWATER
Goodwater was a post-office in the northwestern part of the county. It was located at Section 21, Township 34 North, Range 1 East, in Dent Township, near the Washington-Crawford-Iron County line.
New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map #31; The State of Missouri, in 1904, page 409; Gazetteer of Missouri, page 262.

GRANITEVILLE
Graniteville was named in 1876 for the granite quarries near. Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names, Ramsay, page 84. However, according to Eaton, it was settled in 1873. How Missouri Towns, Counties and Streams Were Named, 3rd. Article, pg 176; Also, Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conrad, Volume 3 page 86, indicates it was settled in 1873. I It is located at Section 14, Township 34 North, Range 3 East, on Highways 21 & H.

HOGAN (HOGAN'S MOUNTAIN)
It is in Arcadia Township. It is about 7 miles southwest of Ironton.
New Atlas of Missouri, Map #31; The State of Missouri, in 1904, page 409. It is located at Section 27, 34, Township 33 North, Range 3 East, on Highways 21 & 49; See, also, Gazetteer of Missouri, page 262. Although it is surmised that the community was named for an early settler, there is no authentic information to verify this. Hogan lies at the foot of Taum Sauk Mountain, the highest peak in the State with an elevation of 1,772 feet. It is adjacent to the southern edge of Tip Top Mountain, too, the second highest point in the State.
The Empire That Missouri Pacific Serves, page 216. No population.
Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand, McNally & Co.

GRASSY MOUNTAIN (not a town)
Grassy Mountain is located at Section 14, Township 33 North, Range 4 East, near Madison County line, east of the U.S. Rifle Range.

IRONTON Elevation 920 feet
When the county was organized H.N.Tong and David Carson were doing a mercantile business at the eastern edge of Shepherd Mountain. They at once purchased land and laid off a town, named it Ironton, and entered it on the list with Arcadia and Middlebrook as competing points for the county seat. The election took place on September 7, 1857, and Ironton was selected. A village had already sprung up at the base of Pilot Knob, composed of mining operations, and during this year it was made the terminus of the Iron Mountain Railroad. In 1859 the population was placed at 600, while that of Arcadia and Ironton was about 300 each. These towns are situated adjoining each other, and may almost be considered as one straggling village scattered along the railroad for a distance of about three miles.
History of Southeast Missouri, 1888, Goodspeed, page 455. Ironton was founded in 1857 and incorporated in 1859, During the Civil War the town suffered greatly from the raid of General Price. It was in this place that U.S. Grant received his commission as Brigadier General in the United States Army. The spot where he had his quarters at the time is now called Emerson Park, a private park of much beauty. It contains five statues of Grant in commemoration of the event.
Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conrad, Vol. 3, page 388. According to Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names, Ramsay, page 8, Ironton was named in 1853. The first house was built in 1853; it became the county seat in 1857 and was incorporated in 1859. It had a court house, jail, 3 churches, a Masonic and Odd Fellows Hall, 1 public school, 1 school for colored children, 1 iron foundry, 1 flouring mill and 2 saw and planing mills, 2 wagon factories, 1 saddler's shop, 2 hotels, 1 band and 1 newspaper office. The U.S. Land Office was located here, 1874.
Campbell’s Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, page 262.
It is located in part of Section 5, Township 33 North, Range 4 East AND part of Sections 30 and 32, Township 34 North, Range 4 East, at the junction of Highways M, 21 and V.

JORDAN
Jordan was between Hogan and Sabula on the St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern Railroad.
Map of Missouri, 1894, Rand, McNally & Company.

KAOLIN
Kaolin was a post-office 12 miles west of Iron Mountain (St.Francois Co.)
Gazetteer of Missouri, page 262.

MANN
Mann was a post-office (1903-04) in the northeast part of the county, near Washington County line.
The State of Missouri, in 1904, page 409. Missouri Manual, 1903-04, page 469. The post-office was discontinued as of October 31, 1919. Thereafter mail via Belleview.
Missouri Manual, 1919-20, page 732.

MARBLE CREEK
Marble Creek was a post-office (1903-04) in the eastern part of the county, northeast of Sabula, near the Madison County line.
Section Map of Missouri, 1894, Rand, McNally & Co; Missouri Manual, 1903-04, page 469; The State of Missouri, in 1904, page 409.

MIDDLEBROOK
It is a small village a few miles north of Ironton, on the St.Francois County line, laid out in 1856.
History of Southeast Missouri, 1888, Goodspeed, pg 455; New Atlas of Missouri, Map #31; The State of Missouri, in 1904, pg 499. It is the shipping point for the granite quarries.
Gazetteer of Missouri, page 262.
It is located at Section 12, Township 34 North, Range 3 East, on Highway W, north of 21.

MINIMUM
It is located at Section 9 & 10, Township 31 North, Range 4 East, on Highway C, near the Madison County line. It was named in 1910 for Minnie, wife of Dr. N.A. Farr, Postmaster.
Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names, Ramsay, pp.72, 74.

MONTANA
Montana was a post-office (1903-04) in the northern part of the county near the Washington Co. line.
The State of Missouri, in 1904 page 409; Missouri Manual, 1903-04, page 469.

PILOT KNOB
An incorporated town in Arcadia Township, one mile north of Ironton. It contained a large mining and Smelting plant, two general stores, a school and a hotel. Population in 1890 was 757.
Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conrad, Vol. 5, page 190. It was laid out in 1858 and incorporated in 1867.
Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, page 262. It is located at Section 30, Township 34 North, Range 4 East, on Highways V and 21. It was named from Pilot Knob Mountain nearby.
How Missouri Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named, 3rd Article, page 176.

PILOT KNOB MOUNTAIN Elevation 581 feet
Pilot Knob was a deposit of iron ore in the form of a symmetrical mountain the largest mass of its kind in the United States. It is six miles south of the Iron Mountain (St. Francois Co.), and near it at a distance of a quarter of a mile is another mass of ore called Shepherd Mountain. Pilot Knob is 581 feet high, and has a base area of 550 acres. It is the most conspicuous elevation in Missouri and was given the name it bears because it was to the early settlers a land mark and guide.
Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, Conrad, 1901, Vol. 5, page 190. Like the better-known Iron Mountain, Pilot Knob was believed to be composed of solid iron. It was worked for nearly 50 years before the deposits were discovered to be shallow surface layers. Nearby are the ruins of Fort Davidson, where a vastly out-numbered Union garrison checked a raid led by Confederate Sterling Price that was aimed at St. Louis in September 1864. Price abandoned plans for attacking St. Louis when he learned the city had been strongly reinforced while he vainly pursued Fort Davidson's defenders who slipped away from him during the night.
The Empire That Missouri Pacific Serve’s page 239.

PIPPIN
It was named for the apple of the same name.
How Missouri Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named, 3rd Article, page 176. It was near Pilot Knob.
Gen. Scheme, 1905, Taft, page 48.

PINE GROVE
It was located in Kaolin Township, at Section 7, Township 34 North, Range 2 East.
New Atlas of Missouri, Map #31.

RAWLIN
Rawlin was located in Kaolin Township, at Section 16, Township 34 North, Range 2 East, North of Pine Grove.
Ibid.

ROCKY GLADE
Rocky Glade was located at Section 28, Township 33 North, Range 4 East, near Liberty Township line.
New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map #31.

RED POINT
A settlement in the extreme eastern part of Dent County, now listed in Iron County. Listed as a post-office in Dent Co. 1883. Named for the iron in the neighborhood.
A Thesis by Anna O'Brien, B.S. in Education Submitted in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of Master of Arts, in the Graduate School, of the University of Missouri, 1931. It was on the Dent County line, about equidistant between Reynolds and Crawford Counties.
The State of Missouri, in 1904, page 409.

REDMONDVILLE
It is located at Section 30, Township 34 North, Range 1 East, on an unmarked county road north of T near the junction of T and 49 Highways.

REYNOLDS
Reynolds was a post-office on the St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern Railroad, 16 miles south of Ironton.
Gazetteer of Missouri, page 262. Reynolds is now in Reynolds County.
Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, Rand, McNally & Company.

RUSSELL'S MILLS
It was a post-office on the St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern Railroad, 11 miles south of Ironton. (Probably named for the Russell family of Ironton, who had their farm there.)?
Gazetteer of Missouri, page 263. It is not listed in Missouri Manual, 1893-94, the earliest Manual to list post-offices.

SABULA
Sabula is located in the southern part of the county, 4 miles north of Annapolis; 9 miles south of Glover.
The State of Missouri, in 1904, page 409. It is located at Section 3, Township 31 North, Range 3 East, on Highway 49 north of Annapolis. Mail via Annapolis.

SAND BLUFF
Sand Bluff was in the northwest section of the county, near Reynolds County line. It was northeast of Edgehill.
Sectional Map of Missouri, 1894, Rand, McNally and Co.

SHEPARD
It was a post-office listed in Missouri Manual, 1917-18. Page 642. The post-office was discontinued as of November 1, 1929. Thereafter mail via Enough.
Missouri Manual, 1929-30, page 939.

SHEPHERD MOUNTAIN Elevation 660 feet
It is a mountain of magnetic ore, 660 feet high with a base of 800 acres. It is a quarter of a mile west of Pilot Knob. Very little mining has been done in it.
Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conrad, Vol. 5 page 584. It is located at Section 31, Township 34 North, Range 4 East, north of Ironton.

TAUM SAUK MOUNTAIN Elevation 1772 feet
It is the highest point in Missouri, 1772 feet, site of Taum Sauk Hydroelectric Plant. It is located at Section 4, Township 33 North, Range 3 East, on Highway CC west of 21. It is thought the name is of the Sauk tribe of Indians, but it is uncertain to what "Taum" refers.
Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names, Ramsay, page 40.

TIP TOP Elevation 1200 feet
This is the second highest point in Missouri. It is a few miles south of Ironton-Arcadia. One station serves these neighboring communities.
The Empire That Missouri Pacific Serves, page 191.

TOLU
It was in the northwest part of the county, 3 1/2 miles northwest of Goodwater. The State of Missouri, in 1904, page 409. Apparently it was located at Section 25, Township 35 North, Range 2 East, east of

Viburnum.
The post-office was listed in General Scheme of Missouri, 1905. Page 48, Taft.

VIBURNUM
It is located at Sections 26 and 27, Township 35 North, Range 2 West, near the Crawford County line. When it was named in 1904 for the honeysuckle, it was in Crawford County.
Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names, Ramsay, page 87.
Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand, McNally & Co.

VULCAN
Vulcan is located at Section 1, Township 30 North, Range 4 East, in the southeast corner of the county, near Wayne County line, on Highway 49, south of Annapolis. The name is of classical derivation, and was given in 1915.
Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names, Ramsay, page 98.