Salisbury, the acknowledged metropolis of Chariton County and one of the most peaceful, happy and prosperous cities of two thousand five hundred inhabitants, handsomely located upon an elevated prairie and surrounded by one of the most beautiful and productive agricultural regions to be found upon the face of the globe, was organized into a city of the fourth class, under the laws of the state classifying and governing cities of the various classes in 1882. Prior BIBO, a soldier in the war of 1812, was the original owner of the land upon which the main part of the city now stands. BIBO drew 320 acres which he transferred to one John BULL, he in turn selling the land to James BENNETT. In 1856 Judge Lucius SALISBURY, father of the city than now bears his name, paid BENNETT $400 in gold for the two quarters. Two years later Judge SALISBURY moved to his farm, erecting a box house as a temporary place of abode, until he could complete a more substantial structure, which was a frame house of two rooms, and stood upon what has since been known as the "Salisbury Square." The city of Salisbury was laid out April 1, 1867 by Judge L. SALISBURY, G. W. WILLIAMS and O. W. LUSHER. The first business establishment operated in the city was a blacksmith shop run by one John CULVER. John H. THOMAS opened the first general store. The post office was located here in 1863 and was kept at the residence of Judge SALISBURY, who conducted an entertainment house, known as "Stop-a-while," where travelers and the stage coach stopped. In 1870 the city had grown until it had a population of 626. According to the census of 1880, the population was only 908, while the next ten years increased the number to 1,700.
This church was organized the nineteenth day of January, 1867, at the old Union church, two miles southwest of Salisbury, by Elders Louis ELLEDGE and W. L. T. EVANS, but one year later was moved to this city where services were held at the city hall until the erection of their present commodious structure, the largest in the city, which was built in 1869 at a cost of $3,422.42. The building, however has undergone many modern improvements and changes, until now it presents a marked contrast to the original structure. The interior is nicely carpeted and handsomely furnished and presents a very cozy, inviting appearance. The original organization was composed of twenty-five members, while the present membership numbers over three hundred. Rev. Louis ELLEDGE served as the first pastor. The first trustees of the church were M. L. HURT, Eli WAYLAND, and W. C. WRIGHT. This organization has always been very strong, numerically and financially; and very active in work. Services are held every Sunday morning and evening, Rev. S. P. BRITE, being in charge as pastor. Prayer meetings are held every Wednesday evening. Ladies of the church have benevolent and missionary societies, home and foreign and do a good and noble work.
This church was organized in 1873 with W. R. SLAUGHTER, Mary E. SLAUGHTER, F. T. DYSART, Lou E. DYSART, Susan E. DYSART, Ellen WILLIAMS, Mary J. ELLINGTON, L. D. BRUMMALL and C. A. BRUMMALL as the original members. As stated elsewhere the church property was built by the the first presbyterians, and sold under a deed of trust, when it was bought by W. R. SLAUGHTER and sold it jointly to the Methodist and Cumberland Presbyterianss, the latter in 1885 acquiring entire control. Since, the building has undergone a complete transformation, especially the interior now is one of the best furnished churches in the city. Rev. H. D. MANESS is now in charge as pastor, his flock numbering 125. In addition to services being held each Sunday, well attended prayer meetings convene each Wednesday evening and a number of societies from time to time.
This organization was made in 1869, with seven members; namely: John REDDING, Rebecca REDDING, Jno T. MARR, Mrs. J. K. MARR, J. M. MCMURRY, S. E. MCMURRY, and Charles W. HOGAN. Until 1855, the Methodist people shared property with the Cumberland Presbyterians when they disposed of their interest and erected the property they now occupy, observed by the accompanying illustration. This organization has enjoyed a very prosperous growth, until now the membership is about two hundred. The building is nicely furnished and seated with opera chairs. Services are conducted each Sunday, by Rev. James RAMSEY, pastor, who this fall will close his second four years in this field, having served this people four years in the eighty's.
The first church building erected in Salisbury was built in 1868 by the above organization and is now the property of the Cumberland Presbyterian people. This organization was small, a Mr. WEBBER being the ruling elder. Due to the removal and death of members, the organization was forced to sell their property and disband. However the church was again reorganized in 1878, when a neat structure was erected on 4th street, which they have since occupied. The present membership is about fifty.
Among the various churches of Salisbury which have enjoyed a highly satisfactory growth, we note with pleasure that the of the Christian church, organized in 1873 with the following membership: J. N. MOORE, L. C. MOORE, L. SILVEY, Charlotte SILVEY, Mrs. C. J. VIA, Mrs. Mary BAILY, Mrs. M. DULANY, Mrs. C. DEMPSTER, J. H. HICKERSON and wife, F. B. PHILPOTT and wife, Calvin SWEENEY and wife, and R. L. OSBORNE. The building now occupied by this denomination is a nice frame structure, well furnished, and erected in 1883 at a cost of $1,800. Rev. G. D. EDWARDS is at this time in charge as pastor, services being held twice each month. As with the other churches mentioned, there is connected with the church a flourishing sunday school and one or two society organizations for missionary work, which meet regularly and accomplish much good work for the cause of Christianity. The present membership numbers about one hundred and seventy-five.
This church was organized in Salisbury with only twelve members in 1887, but the church property they now occupy, in the north part of the city, was not erected until the fall and winter of '89 and '90. It is a frame structure, nicely finished off, and erected at a cost of $900., which stands to the credit to the enterprise and loyalty of the members of this denomination. The present membership is about 40. At present, REv. WOCKENFUSS is in charge as pastor.
This organization is an offspring of the Bowling Green Church, and was established in Salisbury with about twenty-five members in 1889. The property they now occupy was erected in the same year, at a cost of about $1,000. Rev. ROMPEL is pastor in charge.
With sixteen members was organized in Salisbury in 1874, their house of worship being erected the same year at a cost of $800.00 and was dedicated by Bishop RYAN, St. Louis. The present membership now numbers about fifty families, and Rev. Father Jno L. GADEL is in charge as pastor. Through his instrumentality the church property was removed to a different location in '92, when $1,600 was expended in its improvement and enlargement.
In a previous article we have stated that Chariton County was pre-eminently a county of fraternal organizations, and what is true of the county in that resepect is equally true of Salisbury. In this city there are at the present time nine secret organizations, all of which have a most creditable membership and are enjoying a healthy, substantial growth. Salisbury Lodge No. 208, A. F. & A. M., the first lodge organized in the city, was instituted May 18, 1867, and has since been an active and influentual organization. The lodge numbers about 95 members, S. F. TRAMMEL being Worshipful Master. Regular meetings are held on the Tuesday evening on or before the full moon of each month. White Stone Royal Arch Chapter No. 57 was organized November 10, 1867, with twelve members and has enjoyed a satisfactory increase.
The second lodge organized in the city was Salisbury Lodge, No. 236, I. O. O. F. instituted June 20, 1870, with six charter members, only two of whom are now living and reside in Salisbury; namely M. R. WILLIAMS and R. M. JONES. The growth of this lodge numerically and financially has been all that could be desired or expected. It has performed a good and noble work in this community the influence of which has been felt and appreciated. The present enrollment contains the names of 90 members. Edward C. WESTENKEUHLER is Noble Grand. Regular sessions are held each Friday night. In connection with the I. O. O. F. is the Daughters of Rebekah, who have a very prosperous organization and occupy the same hall.
The third secret organization in the city of Salisbury was Lodge No. 252, A. O. U. W., organized July 15, 1883, with twenty charter members. In the thirteen years of its existence this lodge also made a very commendable advancement in the point of numbers and usefullness. The present membership is about 60 with John LEGENDRE as Master Workman.
Cloudine Lodge No. 179, Knights of Pythias, was instituted September 29, 1890, with about 36 charter members, and the rapid growth with which it has met has indeed been remarkable. The present membership is about 95 with John B. HAYES as Chancellor Commander. The Rathbone Sisters is a comparitively new organization in connection with the K. P. Lodge, but has a good membership and is a healthy active organization.
The lodges mentioned above all have nice, well furnished halls, properly ventilated and conveniently located which never fails to impress upon the visiting brethren the pride and interest taken in fraternal work in this city.
Considering its agw and financial condition of the country a the time of its organization in the city has been that of the Knights of Equity, the first lodge of which was instituted in this city, November 1894. The present membership is about one hundred strong. Charles C. HAMMOND is the present Commander of Salisbury Council No. 1.
The Tripple Alliance of Maccabees also have very creditable lodges in this city, composed of some of Salisbury community's most enterprising and influential citizens.
Salisbury is justly proud of her fraternal associations, for by them the stranger finds a reliable standard from which to judge the character of men who compose the element of any city or community. United by strong, solemn, irrevocable ties, based on the great principles of brotherhood and having for their object the helping of one another, wherever found in large numbers, will be found a harmonious and united community free from strife and contentions.
In none of her public enterprises does the city of Salisbury, Mo., feel a juster pride than in her public school. The foundation of her prosperity is the energy and intelligence of her citizens and her public school constitutes one of the chief sources of their intelligence. It was established in April 1867, in very modest quarters, with an enrollment of one hundred and eight. Eight years ago, when the building was burned, the number had outgrown the narrow limits of its capacity. The citizens with admirable foresight, which subsequent developments have already justified, erected the present magnificent building, at a cost of $15,000.00, and now the 375 pupils who daily assemble within its walls are not only provided with every facility and convenience for prosecuting their studies, but by the elegance of the building and its perfect order and neatness, due to the care and skill of W. H. RICHARDSON, (the best janitor in the state) no unimportant lesson is impressed upon the asthetic part of their mental natures. The prosperity and beneficient influence of this school could be nothing short of the very highest, with so admirable a system of grading and management, and with such a corps of teachers conducting it. The simple truth about any one of them sould like fulsome rhetoric. The most modern and most improved methods are imployed by the most skillful instructors throughout the entire course, from the primary grade to the eighth grade from which the students graduate.
The first room which recieves the diminutive but potent autocrat, six years old, who has not yet learned to release his grasp on the sceptor of babyhood with which he has wielded unquestioned and unlimited authority over his parents, is under the management of Mildred TRUEBLOOD, who is a daughter of Chariton county. The highest compliment that could be paid her skill, patience and tact, is the marked success that attends her work in this most delicate and difficult of all positions.
In the 2nd room Miss Hattie VIRGIN for five years has moulded the minds and manners of the class whose age proclaim it in transition between enfant terrible and small boy. She is admirably fitted for the position, and has met its trying responsibilities in a manner that has most deeply impressed upon the people of Salisbury her personal worth, and her value as a teacher.
The third room has been occupied by Miss Edna JOHNSON, of Macon City, for two years. She has proved to be a young lady of a high degree of culture and intelligence; and her firm, strong, earnest character and her devotion to duty are qualities that have not only been most useful in the school room, but have doubtless had much to do with securing the host of friends she has made during her stay in Salisbury.
The fourth room has been for four years under the control of Miss Lena FORREST. Miss FORREST is a native of Chariton county and a large part of her life has been spent in Salisbury. The fact that she has so long retained the high regard she has won from the public, both personally and professionally, are a well deserved compliment and her remaining so long is a compliment to our city.
Miss Kate GALLENMORE, of Howard County, has presided over the fifth room for three years, and it is needless to say she does so with a high degree of skill. Miss GALLENMORE comes of a family of teachers, and a hereditary prediliction for the school room in her case has proved most fortunate for the educational interests of Salisbury and especially for the pupils who come under her immediate control.
The sixth room is in charge of Miss Elizabeth MATTHEWS, formerly of Mexico, Mo., Miss MATTHEWS has quite an extensive experience in her profession and in view of her enviable reputation as a teacher and her well known ability, which render larger cities so eager to employ her, the school board of Salisbury has been extremely fortunate in securing her assistance.
For the last six years the seventh room has been occupied by Miss Ada SHANNON. Miss SHANNON is a native of Chariton county and one whose worth honors her birth-place. During the six years she has been connected with this school, her efforts have been crowned with the highest success, and it is needless to say that the position is hers so long as she cares to retain it. Salisbury is to be congratulated upon having enjoyed her services for so long.
Prof. John F. PRATT has been the principal for five years and has been unanimously retained for the sixth. No honor could be more deservedly conferred, though it must be confessed the board were prompted in their action by their regard for the interest of Salisbury, and not by a desire to compliment the Professor. Under his management the school has constantly raised the high-water mark of its prosperity. In scholarship Prof. PRATT reflects the credit upon Kirksville Normal College, where he took the degree of B. S. D. As an instructor he is emphatically a success; as a disciplinarian he could hardly be surpassed; as an honest, upright, christian gentleman, his daily life speaks for him best. The value of such a perfect sincerity and character so transparent in its candor, in moulding and strengthening character in his pupils, cannot be estimated.
These qualities havbe been developed by an extensive and uniformly successful experience in his profession. In the fall of 1886 after graduation he accepted the principalship of the puplic school at Utica, Livingston County, Mo. He filled this position so well that the position was tendered him again, but declined for the purpose of accepting a more lucrative position at Breckenridge, ten miles away. Here he remained two years, and was reelected for a third, bur Hamilton, a neighboring town offered him greater inducements, which he thought best to accept. After remaining two years at this place, he accepted his present positon at an increased salary. It is most earnestly to be hoped that for sometime to come richer cities and larger salaries will not succeed in taking him away. The wisdom displayed in selection of teachers and in the general control of the school, is only what is naturally to be expected of such men as have constituted the board for a number of years. Members of the School Board: