Mendon, another of Chariton County's beautiful little villages,
was laid out by Christopher SHUPE in 1871. It was, however, a
good business point several years before the plat of the town was
filed. The first business house was put up by BASTICH &
EASTMAN, which was used in the capacity of a general merchandise
establishment. In 1871 a business house was put up by the KEITH
brothers. These were the only two business houses erected prior
to 1880, when Charles WELLING erected a business house. In 1881
Dr. MORGAN erected a house which he used as a drug store. Since
that time the town has prospered and grown until at the present
time it has a population of about seven or eight hundred
energetic, enterprising and worthy citizens.
The town of Mendon is situated on a beautiful prairie overlooking thousands of acres of fine land as can be found anywhere in the county, and is surrounded by prosperous farmers who believe in keeping their end of the row in the way of building up this beautiful little city.
Mendon has nice churches, a first class public school and several secret orders, among which the Knights of Pythias, Masonic and A. O. U. W. each have a good membership. This little village will continue to prosper and will in a few years be the best point for business of the county. Located on the Santa Fe.