This little village is located in Bowling Green township and was laid out by William DALTON in 1867. The townsite was the home of Mr. DALTON for whom the town was named for many years before the town was founded. This little village is situated on the bluffs overlooking the broad and fertile plains of the famous Bowling Green prairie towards the south-- the Missouri River being only about three of four miles from the town a fine view of it can be had. The old buildings to the south and a little of the town are located on a farm which was for a number of years occupied by General Sterling PRICE, and many travelers in passing throught Dalton would ask to have the farm of this noted General pointed out to them.
The first business home in Dalton was put up and occupied by VEATCH & MYERS. The Wabash--then known as the St. Louis, Kansas City & Northern-- railroad erected a first class depot for the accomodation of the citizens of that locality. The town has grown and its citizens have prospered, until it is one of the most substantial trading posts of the county. At the present time the citizens carry on all kinds of business and the town has churches, secret orders, etc., and a more accomodation lot of people you seldom find anywhere.