To the citizens of Caldwell county and the county which surrounds it, there is perhaps no name more generally of favorably known than that of William C. Jordan, whose business, since his establishment here in January, 1880, has achieved such proportions as leaves no doubt in the minds of those most skeptical as to the reliability of this house. A personal acquaintance with nearly every citizen of the different townships in this county has tended to make him exceedingly popular, and especially successful in the handling of his organs and pianos. His leading brands of the former are the William C. Jordan anti-Sterling organs; while the Sterling and Paris pianos meet with ready sale. Another recognized cause of his large patronage is his extensive advertising, a feature which can not fail of producing the desired results. He is the pioneer in his line in this county, and he has numerous representatives in Daviess, Livingston, Clinton, and other counties. William C. Jordan was born April 17, 1856, in Columbia county, O., his father being William J. Jordan, of the same State, and a prominent and leading attorney in the vicinity where he made his home. He married Miss Emily Crane, also a native of Ohio, and to them a family of eight children was born, of whom William C. was the eldest. His early scholastic advantages as he grew up tended to increase the natural desire which he possessed to follow the legal profession, and after fitting himself for its pratice, under the careful and watchful guidance of his father, he was admitted to the bar in April, 1879. Subsequently he practiced with his father a short time but soon went to Osage county, Kansas, from whence he traveled over all sections of the State. This he continued until his removal to Hamilton, as above mentioned. August 31, 1880, Miss Hattie R. Pickell became the wife of Mr. Jordan. She was born in Lancster county, PA., the dauther of George Pickell. Mr. and Mrs. J. have two children: Maud and William J. He his a member of the A. F. and A. M., being a Royal Arch Mason.
THE PICKELLS AND JORDAN FAMILIES IN HAMILTON IN SEVENTIES AND EIGHTIES. JORDAN the piano and organ man. The Old Phoenix Hotel.
Mrs. Hattie Jordan of (79)
Mrs. Jordan is the widow of William Jordan, a Hamilton Merchant over fifty years ago and the daughter of George Pickell and Rebecca Miller of Lancaster County, PA. He father was a brother of Wm. Pickell and her mother was a sister of Mary Miller, his wife. Thus Mrs. Jordan is a double cousin of Wm. Pickell aged 88 of Hamilton. Her father lived one-half mile from Bart in Lancaster county, PA., and after his death the Mother and children moved to Lancaster City in 1872 the family came to Hamilton. Her brother, George, was already here on a farm near Nettleton. Three brothers out of five lived here; (George, who later quit farming and became town marshall; Wm. a produce dealer; Ben, who was in a music store with her husband.
Her mother rented the last house on Bird Street north side now owners by George Bretz and later bought the little house east of Seth Young's house. Mrs. Jordan lived there until her marriage. After she became the wife of Mr. Jordan, they lived in with Aunty Smith (who used to be a well known Bible teacher here) in the house still known as the Aunty Smith house. There her daughter Mrs. Maud Turner was born.
MRS. HATTIE JORDAN
Mrs. Jordan was a Davy Ferguson pupil, in the old north brick school. Some of her classmates were: Addie (Martin) George, Wilda Rohrbough, Genoa and Mattie Claypool (aunts of Mrs. Millie Vines.)
Her husband, Wm. Jordan, was a lawyer by study passing the Ohio Examinations 1878. But because of his health he came to Hamilton 1880 and began to sell pianos and organs. He and she used to ride around the county and leave an organ in home on trial for a week or so in hopes of a sale. He had own brand of organs, The Jordan Organ. Mr. Jordan owned the old Phoenix hotel on Main street and had his show rooms there for awhile. This building was the only three -- story building ever erected in Hamilton. It was once the Kelso building. In the late seventies Mr. Jordan rented the whole building to the Harvey family who kept a Dry Goods store on the ground floor, had their living rooms on the second floor and their sleeping rooms on the third floor. Later the Harveys built a brick directly across the street and lived above the store. This was about where the Lindley building is.
The Jordans owned quite a frontage on north Main in the 80's, from the present McMasters through the site of the Missouri Store. After her husbands death, Mrs. Jordan sold the old buildings to Finis Martin who tore it down and built two houses in town out of the lumber.
INTEREVIEWED APRIL 1934.
This page was last updated August 21, 2006.